Forged Prescriptions

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

radioshack
Known user

Forged Prescriptions

Post by radioshack »

Far superior to PP in my view.

The demo of Come Down Easy is way better than the studio version. And I much prefer the organ drone version of WWJ.

They should have released the ''full'' version as opposed to the stripped-down takes.

What does everyone else think?
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Forged Prescriptions

Post by runcible »

Tough one. PP is my all time favourite album but that often coincides with how the music affected you at the time.

I agree on some points - that WWJ is absolutely sublime. I also love that version of Ode To Street Hassle with it's acousticy ending.

I'll stick to PP as it still sounds incredible to me even now over 22 years later. I love FP though - play it loads.
davew
Known user

Post by davew »

The reasons Pete gives for the original release sounding like it does are acceptable tho, they wanted the records and live shows to sound the same

effin love the version of Walking With Jesus, glad i bought the nice coloured 7" of that too 8)

Would love to see a full vinyl release of FP.......
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

davew wrote:The reasons Pete gives for the original release sounding like it does are acceptable tho, they wanted the records and live shows to sound the same

effin love the version of Walking With Jesus, glad i bought the nice coloured 7" of that too 8)

Would love to see a full vinyl release of FP.......
Yeah, I think it's funny Sonic's rationale was that they keep it stripped down, but Jason was going for the multi-layered version. It kind of highlights how they would both approach recording after they'd split up.

Runcible, I think if I was in your situation I'd likely feel the same. But I think I got both PP and FP around the same time. I'm even more accustomed to the FP tracklisting.

I'd love FP vinyl too.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

radioshack wrote:Runcible, I think if I was in your situation I'd likely feel the same.
That album spoke volumes to me at the time. I've rarely known a band be so in tune with so many of their audience, and although I wasn't doing the level of drugs the band were by a huge distance, a lot of my 1988 and 89 was spent pretty spaced out.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

davew wrote:The reasons Pete gives for the original release sounding like it does are acceptable tho, they wanted the records and live shows to sound the same
The irony being that they then didn't even play most of the songs live...! :lol:

I think that there's room for both versions to exist. The stripped down mixes have a beauty of their own and the world would have been a poorer place if they hadn't existed.
smellynobcheese
Known user

Post by smellynobcheese »

Yeah FP is better in my opinion. I love xstacy symphony - and it seems to me like it it's just one note
played through a lot of effects pedals (?) Whatever - that and their cover of Lou Reed's Street hassle
are cool.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Agree with runcible really, for pretty much the same reasons. I was 14 or 15 when I got PP and grew up listening to it and it's my favourite record bar none. The versions of some of the tracks on FP though are probably better though when trying to be objective about it. Disagree about Come Down Easy, I prefer the version on PP, but the versions of WWJ, Ode To Street Hassle, and Call The Doctor from FP are probably about as good as SP3 get and, if it makes any sense, sound more like Spacemen 3 than the original versions.

smellynobcheese - Ecstasy Symphony is exactly that. The same one-note drone repeated 8 times with a different effect on each track.

Best version of Come Down Easy here:

http://www.divshare.com/download/11012716-826
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

runcible wrote:
radioshack wrote:Runcible, I think if I was in your situation I'd likely feel the same.
That album spoke volumes to me at the time. I've rarely known a band be so in tune with so many of their audience, and although I wasn't doing the level of drugs the band were by a huge distance, a lot of my 1988 and 89 was spent pretty spaced out.
Got to agree,Transparent Radiation was the first Spacemen record I bought ,and while it left me open mouthed ,it offered more questions than answers,Perfect Prescription gave some more answers to what this band was about and probably a had similar effect on me as Runcible ,been hooked ever since, so while Forged is a cool addition to my Spacemen collection and may have some superior recordings of some songs to my mind its a cool collection of songs where Perfect Prescription is a perfect album in the old sense of 2 sides perfectly sequenced and can`t be improved on timeless and perfect ,can`t think of a single way it could be bettered ,while its all down to the individuals experience,I consider myself lucky to have come across Perfect Prescription when it came out .
smellynobcheese
Known user

Post by smellynobcheese »

There aren't many artists that I listen to, where I know exactly where I was when I heard them (for the first time) ...The first time I heard SP3 was when I bought "Sound of Confusion" in the 80's and I was walking on the beach - the first track "Losing touch ,,," ..really blew me away! And ...I have been listening to them every since!

Anyone like this version of "Ode to Street Hassle ..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iB-DMu3pQY
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Perfect Prescription is a great, great record, but I must agree that Forged Prescriptions has material that surpasses it. In particular, the version of Things Won't Be The Same is more powerful, both versions of WWJ are more blissed out, and I think Feel So Good is so much more powerful in the full version on FP. I also really love the organ drone behind the FP version of Call The Doctor, though the sparseness of the PP version probably edges it out for me.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Getting the 2 LP treatment on Space Age. A lot of music to fit on two records i'd have thought.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

sunray wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:08 pm Getting the 2 LP treatment on Space Age. A lot of music to fit on two records i'd have thought.
Ordered, without blinking. Issue is though well arised about getting it all fit on 2 vinyl pieces.
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

You're not the only one...in top ten sellers from Norman Records according to their email.
200bars
Known user

Post by 200bars »

Anybody seen a US retailer offering a pre-order for this yet? All I've seen so far are UK-based and the shipping costs are a bit of a deterrent...
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

200bars wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:11 am Anybody seen a US retailer offering a pre-order for this yet? All I've seen so far are UK-based and the shipping costs are a bit of a deterrent...
An email from these folks is how I found out about the vinyl version in the first place:

https://www.strandedrecords.com/collect ... tions-2xlp

Makes sense since Superior Viaduct has done some S3 reissues...
200bars
Known user

Post by 200bars »

Ah nice...for some reason, that retailer hadn't come up in my searches. Anything I could find was UK-based and the P&P was a non-starter. This is more reasonable, Cheers.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

What a fantastic pressing. I only wish i had something stronger than the bottle of don julio anejo i wasnt opening until this went on.
Wow! ( as shit as the gatefold is it threw me back to the era these were released in)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Hedspace wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:22 pm What a fantastic pressing. I only wish i had something stronger than the bottle of don julio anejo i wasnt opening until this went on.
Wow! ( as shit as the gatefold is it threw me back to the era these were released in)
Yeah Spaceage going balls out on the packaging 🙄, opportunity missed by the money worshipping c#nts, why am I not surprised? Norman Records going a step further by managing to to cut/slash/tear the inner gatefold after I asked them to remove the records b4 posting, ffs 🤦‍♂️

*edit* Hedspace is bang on, pressing is great and sounds fabulous. 👍 to John Rivers.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Listening to it now, I got mine from Amazon.

I totally agree with the comments about both the packaging and the pressing. I'd expected a shitty 2020s pressing, muffled, tight grooves, bass-heavy, murky and poor-quality fuzzy vinyl, but instead it's this beautiful, wide-open, clear sound that you used to get years ago, and completely pisses all over the previous digital releases.

Sonic's previous comments about the first disk being an alternative PP make even more sense in this context. It's the same tracks as the original FP CD, but the running order is slightly rearranged, and flows better across two sides of vinyl. I'm not sure how intentional that was, but it just works.

I'd love to hear a properly remastered PP with this kind of sound quality, but until such time as that happens, if it ever does, this is a very acceptable substitute and the definitive release of FP.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Can i jump in and ask for an opinion about "Dreamweapon" released by Superior Viaduct? I do not own that version, if wise comments can be delivered, then let them lead me to the label.

This vinyl version of Forged Prescriptions is marvelous. Vinyl is playing all the richness of the sounds, as good as it can be. Dream come true, may i even state that? But it DOES sound gorgeous, so...
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Agree with others, the vinyl sounds fantastic. Worth seeking out if you're into that sort of thing.
BessieBoporBach
Known user

Post by BessieBoporBach »

mh wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:53 am Sonic's previous comments about the first disk being an alternative PP make even more sense in this context. It's the same tracks as the original FP CD, but the running order is slightly rearranged, and flows better across two sides of vinyl. I'm not sure how intentional that was, but it just works.
I have always been puzzled by the sequencing of Forged Prescriptions. I know it's supposed to be an "alternate" Perfect Prescription with some extra stuff added, but the running order always seemed random to me. Disc 1 is missing "Take Me to the Other Side," it has the demo of "Come Down Easy," "Soul 1" is stuck on at the end...and then disc 2 is mostly demos except for "Come Down Easy." I don't agree at all that it "flows better" than the original LP release.

In general I find disc 2 of Forged more interesting than disc 1. But I think it would have been better had disc 1 featured the alternate mixes in the original order and disc 2 had just the demos and outtakes.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

BessieBoporBach wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:35 pm
mh wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:53 am Sonic's previous comments about the first disk being an alternative PP make even more sense in this context. It's the same tracks as the original FP CD, but the running order is slightly rearranged, and flows better across two sides of vinyl. I'm not sure how intentional that was, but it just works.
I have always been puzzled by the sequencing of Forged Prescriptions. I know it's supposed to be an "alternate" Perfect Prescription with some extra stuff added, but the running order always seemed random to me. Disc 1 is missing "Take Me to the Other Side," it has the demo of "Come Down Easy," "Soul 1" is stuck on at the end...and then disc 2 is mostly demos except for "Come Down Easy." I don't agree at all that it "flows better" than the original LP release.

In general I find disc 2 of Forged more interesting than disc 1. But I think it would have been better had disc 1 featured the alternate mixes in the original order and disc 2 had just the demos and outtakes.
I meant flows better than the original release of Forged Prescriptions, definitely not the original Perfect Prescription!