Pete Bain interview

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

Pete Bain interview

Post by runcible »

I only came across this today, apologies if it's old news.
http://www.indieheadz.com/spacemen3.html

Sadly it contains a lot of the bitter resentment Pete still obviously feels towards just about everyone from his time in the Spacemen and Darkside and he lets fly at people who really pissed him off. For someone who was always really sweet & friendly on every occasion I met him it's a tad depressing reading how he feels about those days.
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: Pete Bain interview

Post by spzretent »

sad, bitter and in serious need of spellcheck.
too bad. i like those Darkside and Alphastone records.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Interesting and made me curious about the history of The Darkside.
I first saw them at the very start of 1990 supporting The Telescopes and Bark Psychosis at the Powerhaus (Pied Bull) Islington.
Now, was that the same band thay recorded Waiting for the Angles?
I'm not sure it was as my memory of them is very different to how they appeared later on. Did they have a lineup change between early 1990 and recording All that Noise?

The tape i have of that gig does contain a version of Waiting For The Angles - a very long version with an improvised feel. I'm pretty sure it was a diferent singer though and wondered if anyone can confirm.

Cheers
Heavy Tourism
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

The following quote pisses me off:
i believe the conditions that once existed that helped make great music are gone, a higher standard of living and no working class youth movements has meant the only kids making music are from rich backgrounds and they are horrible, landfill indie as the press call it, looking for a decent band is like searching for water in a desert
Typical "bitter old man" drivel. Shows that he is clearly out of touch.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I suspect that was a direct poke at Pete K who Pete Bain has major issues with and slags off in almost every interview Ilve ever read with him - the stuff he contributes to Erik's book is really over the top in the bitter department. Spacemen 3 were born out of public school and art college so that means he's dissing them too.

Plastic37 - The Darkside had the same line-up for a while after the 1st 'High Rise Love' EP. The end is a little muddy as they released something with Roscoe playing guitar, but the line-up you saw would have been the one that released Waiting For The Angels - Craig Wagstaff on drums (one-time boyfriend of a certain Kate Radley), Roscoe on keys, Kev Cowan on guitar and Pete B on bass/vocals. I saw them a few times back then and really enjoyed them but they never struck me as a band that were really going places.
henryapplecore
Known user

Post by henryapplecore »

Sorry but I have to come to Pete's defence here. If Jason were to bother speaking about his time in the Spacemen what makes you think it would be any different to what Pete has to say? At least hes getting it out of his system.

Thing is when all is said and done whats is left? The music. It's the fanboy attitude that keeps peoples interest in these personal disagreements between ex-band members.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

If you read Pete's comments in Erik's book and elsewhere Pete Bain reckons everything about being in Spacemen 3 was awful and he comes across as very bitter about every part of it. That's certainly not the impression he gave me when I spoke to him about it in the mid-90's. He worked with Pete K on several occasions around this time and they were mates to some extent but his view dramatically changed within a few years.

As for Jason, I remember the quote when Spacemen 3 fanzine Outer Limits came out and he wanted to distance himself from it:
'Spacemen 3 were a great band but it is finished'
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Pete and Sonic came into my shop when Spectrum were touring in the mid 90's. They seemed like pretty close friends. At least he was able to tour the US w/Sonic. Who knows what happened after that. Having met both Jason and Sonic they are both strong personalities in very different ways. Maybe the other Sp3 members resent that.
I'd love to know what the non Richard Ashcroft members of Verve say behind his back. I know this was mentioned before but w/o his strong personality who knows what they would have achieved. They probably needed a strong front man. He just took it way too far.
smellynobcheese
Known user

Post by smellynobcheese »

I saw "The Darkside" in 1991 at Bradford Town Hall - was excellent. I'm pretty sure I saw Jason Pierce hanging around the bar ,,, ...there was an audience of about 5-7 people - psychedelize suburbia tour ,,,

If Pete Bain is bitter ...so be it, makes for interesting reading and seeing a different perspective of SP3
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Link doesn't appear to be working, anyone got a copy or know of another way of seeing the interview please?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

You can access the cached version - no idea why the main link has stopped working...
bassman
New user

Post by bassman »

Hello People,
I have a few things to say about your comments, the indie landfill quote that has pissed Toomilk off was something i read in a major tabloid newspaper at the time , Pete Kember said to me years before something very similar in relation to American trust fund musicians, it was certainly not a dig at Pete Kember.
Sad old man drivel? no mate im entitled to my opinion like it or not.
I admit the Morse book was a huge mistake , the writer was young and naive and made a bad job of it , i never read it so i have no idea what i said.
After the book was published things went from bad to worse , Morse gave me no opportunity to moderate what i had said , he never sent me a copy or invited me to the book launch ,for the past 8 years or so i have payed the price in many ways.
I still see many of the people i played music with , Natty , Kev, Tim , Craig, i also have had contact with Rosco and Nick Hayden , recently i was in the same room as Pete Kember , i even bought the MGMT album and listened to it, i keep in contact with Jason through his brother Adam so i think what you read may give a false impression.
I am sorry if people have a problem with my perspective but that has largely been influenced by the actions of others, i sincerly hope that sometime during our lifetime we can acheive some degree of reconciliation .
Pete B.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'm delighted you've posted here Pete. I think you may have popped in before.

As far as people's comments go it's all opinion of course, as are yours in both the article I linked to and the book. In reference to Erik's book I accept that he didn't give you any time to respond to what he took from the interviews he did - there seems to be a pattern with this as I believe that is what happened with Pete K too. It's interesting as he asked me masses of questions too, used quite a few bits from my collection of cuttings, artwork etc and I'm quoted in the book as well. Emails were exchanged on a regular basis but after the book came out he didn't respond to anything I sent him - questions, viewpoints etc. and to this day I've not had any response to the messages I sent him post publication.

In all my dealings with you - as I've said above - my memory is of a very friendly chap with a healthy music-obsession, hence my confusion when you seemed to turn on Pete K who you obviously admired for some time and who you were working with back then. You even came to my house at that time in Tufnell Park if you remember when you were playing with EAR at The Garage. A nice hazy afternoon as I recall. I'd always thought of you as someone who would periodically work with people involved with Spacemen 3 and I was saddened when your relationship with Pete K appeared to deteriorate to the point where you had nothing good to say about him. One day I hope you'll make some more music together...

Please let us know what you are up to. It's been a while since I heard anything about your projects although I'm told you are working on music.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Bought and read the book. Some of it is utter rubbish. The rest is pure gossip and looking for 'issues'. It's trash and nothing more in my opinion.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

My apologies, Pete. It's just that I'm always hearing people talk about how music will never be like it once was in the good ol' days. Of course, people say this every time a new generation of music comes along. It's something that has been happening for hundreds of years. The bottom line is that it's all relative. Nostalgia is the greatest forgiver of bad music. Only a few artists will transcend out of that. It reminds me of reading punk books - "Our scene was the best...these kids nowadays don't have anything like we did...there will never be another good ______ scene again." And of course, people who came along before them were saying the same exact thing.

And the socioeconomical factor thing is a bit troubling to me too. Not that I am rich or want to be the defender of rich kids. Reminds me of the whole Blur vs Oasis thing. "Don't listen to Blur because they were rich and went to school!" I am sorry, but I guess I just don't see how not having money would make one's music more authentic than someone who does.

My initial reaction was pissed off, but on second read I'm really not. These were not meant to be personal attacks at you, sorry if they came off that way. I think it is fantastic that you are sticking up for and explaining your comments, and using this board to do so...since probably a good majority of those who have read the Morse book frequent these boards.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

JPB wrote:Bought and read the book. Some of it is utter rubbish.
You mean the technical first 1/3?
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

The introduction. The review of Spiritualized gigs. I found parts of it cringeworthy.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The intro is pointless as far as I'm concerned. There's a lot of really interesting stuff in there about the backdrop of the UK - Thatcher, miners strikes, 80's greed etc. - and some decent bits talking to band members. It's a shame Jason didn't apparently want any involvement although I see why he distanced himself. The end result wasn't satisfying to anyone involved by all accounts. That's the first time I've heard Pete B mention his input but I know Pete K wasn't happy with the end result. Far better to talk to the guy himself about those days - he's always been happy to do that.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

That explains a lot. It had puzzled me that Pete B came across with such a negative attitude and bitterness, but yet kept on coming back. Sometimes the simplest answer is the one, indeed. :D
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I learned a lot from the Morse book, and there were sections I wrote, but so much of it was posturing that I didn't necessarily believe large swathes of it.
bassman
New user

Post by bassman »

Hello people,
thanks for your comments i will certainly try to participate regularly , unfortunately i have not been able to get on the net for sometime due to problems with my mac.
I gave up making music after an album called Life,s a Motorway was released in 2002. Cargo distribution began to get very flaky around this time refusing to give out any information regarding sales , eventually after i put some pressure on them they gave me some information which said we had sold 5 copies in Finland.
I am a good friend of Jack Trevillion but after that album i thought if i carried on releasing records with Jack and getting back nothing then it seemed pointless.
The last album i recorded was one of my best efforts , something i had high hopes for but the hard drive i kept the music on failed , i sent it off to have the data recovered, the guy who had just set himself up in the data recovery business lost the disc and sent me back a different one, so i took him to small claims, it took over a year to settle, i won but only got a lousy £150 compensation , worst still the music was lost forever and it was a huge set back which sent me into a deep depression for a long time.
I have had some great live bands together over the years but all have been short lived mainly due to line up changes,this year i am working on The Urgz , a simple three piece garage band , we have played two supports with Roy and the Devils Motorcycle, we met them last year , one of my favourite bands , Sonic is also a fan i believe, we have two headline slots at local festivals and a gig at the Sound Of Confusion club in Birmingham .
We are planning to release a 7'' this year, also Natty is planning to release an album of his music so i hope even at this late stage that there will be something to keep people interested and entertained.
thanks
Pete B.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Wonderful to hear from you - and please do keep us posted. :) :D
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

I still can't access the interview!

Cached? Can anyone help?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Even the cache has gone! I've had a right rummage and can't find it at all...
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

radioshack wrote:I still can't access the interview!

Cached? Can anyone help?
It doesn't look pretty, but you can see the interview on the indieheadz myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/indieheadzmusic
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Pete B

I always had a SERIOUSLY soft spot for 'Destiny Angel' and even played it on Student Radio when I had a show. 'Space Blues' and 'Sazman' were also damn fine tunes from post Darkside stuff.

Good to know you're still about!
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Very interesting to hear other people's thoughts on THE BOOK and experiences with the authour.
I found it very entertaining on the whole. There one page describing the mood on the tour bus that i read from time to time cos its so funny.
Heavy Tourism
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

I had been waiting for the book for ages. As much as I liked some of the spoddier aspects of it (particularly the end of Spacemen/beginning of Spiritualized, the gear list at the start and other guitar and performance notes), some of it was a bit much (Syd Barrett has a Binson echo unit in his ass?!?). It was mildly depressing to read too, I thought-all the bitterness that exists between a lot of the personnel, and poverty that went on seemed to put a whole downer on the experience, given the power of the music. I'm aware this was 80's Britain of course, so maybe I'm being too naive. I don't know if the author maybe exploited some aspects of the story, if even to get his own perfectly-clean nails a little dirty.

One thing I thought was funny was that Spaceman got 2 advances from his record company-one for signing Spacemen, then another to resign him as Spiritualized! He must have been laughing all the way to the bank in 1990.
kromosapiens
Known user

Post by kromosapiens »

toomilk wrote:The following quote pisses me off:
i believe the conditions that once existed that helped make great music are gone, a higher standard of living and no working class youth movements has meant the only kids making music are from rich backgrounds and they are horrible, landfill indie as the press call it, looking for a decent band is like searching for water in a desert
Typical "bitter old man" drivel. Shows that he is clearly out of touch.
Well , hi to everybody, I'm from Perú and listen to Spacemen 3 since my teenage days.

I have to say I agree with Pete Bassman on this statement.

I remember there was a disc called "Necessary Discomforts" I cant remember what band was the author, Throbbing Gristle perhaps?

and yes , to become more and more burgueous or high class kid means that you are more into social conventions and "reality" .. it is horrible to the music of course, and the music those persons can create reflex that perfectly...

Mr. Runcible told me about some great south american bands like Watch Out, Follazkoid, The Cindy Sisters et. al they are from Chile and I know them most of them, even I have been jamming with some of the kids on those bands..

I must recommend some great neo-psychedelic bands from Perú:

HIPNOASCENSIÓN
http://www.myspace.com/hipnoascension

LECHE PLUS
http://www.myspace.com/idealismolecheplus

TRANSPARENTE
http://www.myspace.com/radiaciontransparente

SOUNDS OF SALOMON JEDIDIAS & SPACE ROCK
http://www.myspace.com/salomonjedidias -- they play a cover of Alpha Stone!!!

Best Regards,

Wilder.
moreorless
New user

Post by moreorless »

As far as new music goes I'd say its more a case of inidivusal scenes declining. In the mid 80's I'm sure alot of Pink Floyd fans were less than impressed with the stadium rock of the day, doesnt mean they wouldnt have found good music if they'd dug a little deeper. The same way with "indie" today, a previouly inspired and imaginative scene has become overly commercialised.