Sonic Boom/Spectrum - What Came Before After

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Sonic Boom/Spectrum - What Came Before After

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

So i was just cruising through Spotity of a rainy afternoon and came across this - Haven't heard of it here, although it was supposedly released this year. As i don't know much about the Spectrum discography, i have no idea what it actually entails, although it might be a bit of a rarities comp - it has an alternate version of True Love (with a nice Spector drumbeat and less synths), for instance.

Anyone fill me in?
ononist
Known user

Re: Sonic Boom/Spectrum - What Came Before After

Post by ononist »

Definately not released this year. Off the top of my head it's 5 years old plus. It's a comp of singles and other highlights.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Yep... compilations of stuff he's released in one shape or form. There is actually 2 CDs like this...the one you found and one called "Refractions".
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

It's definitely older than 5 years, since I've had mine longer than that.

Here it is, 1997: http://www.sonic-boom.info/discography/ Scroll about 60% down the page.

I think Refractions is more of a "best of" while WCBA is a "rarities" comp, though that doesn't make sense with so much great Spectrum out of print. Way too much of Pete's material is rare at this point!

By the way this is the first/second Spectrum CD I ever owned. I bought it by special order on the same day as Forever Alien, back in 2004.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Thanks for the info - it's pretty nice listening.
Agree all his stuff needs to be reissued, i haven't heard any of his albums in full besides Indian Giver. And i'd feel bad about nicking it off the internet, even if i could find the bloody things. He's due a critical reappraisal soon, right? Guess the whole MGMT thing hasn't quite given him that push yet.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote: Agree all his stuff needs to be reissued....
See the contemporary thread on 'Favourite Sonic/Spectrum Songs' - I completely agree!
O P 8
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

"What Came Before After" essentially rounds up Sonic's 7" output SFTRI from the Octaves/Tremelos EP through the Soul Kiss related stuff. There may be a few other odds and ends on there too. I forgot to say it's brill too, that whole period was so productive really, it used to be a real treat popping into a record shop and stumbling over a double 7" you never knew existed. Thats a joy we'll never get again.