Sonic Interviewed on Soft Focus, Religon & Justin Bieber!

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

toomilk
Known user

Sonic Interviewed on Soft Focus, Religon & Justin Bieber!

Post by toomilk »

Really great interview with Sonic via Soft Focus at the Minehead ATP.

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/soft-focus-at-a ... ete-kember

I am a huge fan of Ian Svenonius and think he is greatly underappreciated.

Watching the Genesis P. Orridge interview will blow your mind...
scratch
Known user

Re: Sonic Interviewed on Soft Focus

Post by scratch »

very nice.. thanx

Pete namedropping graham bond organization is as impressing to me as it was disappointing to learn that Jason isn´t even familiar with the best solo album made by a beatle.

and come on... about germans.. without von braun and the other scientists picked up and pardoned by the us there would have been no moonlanding.
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Which Beatle solo album was Jason not familiar with?
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

jadams501 wrote:Which Beatle solo album was Jason not familiar with?
john lennon - plastic ono band

think it was Love (jason thought it was the beach boys!)

I consider that album more important than most beatle releases.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

You sure? I vividly recall hearing about that very album from none other than J. Spaceman around 1998 maybe?

I went and tracked it down due to this. Think it might have been that big NME Xmas interview with him and Bobby Gillespie. Loads of raving about the Cramps and Born To Be With You etc.

He also considered that album better (I ain't using the word "important"!!!) than the Beatles stuff...

I think I do as well. That album kills!
O P 8
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Best solo lp by a Beatle? All Things Must Pass. Nothing else is close.
IMNSHO(disclaimer)
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Who is the interviewer in this clip? He has to have one of the worst interviewing techniques I think I have ever seen! He mostly mumbles statements rather than ask questions, and on the occasions when he does ask a question it is so badly worded it almost becomes unanswerable. He really lacks any kind of warmth or personality.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

spzretent wrote:Best solo lp by a Beatle? All Things Must Pass. Nothing else is close.
IMNSHO(disclaimer)
Agreed. There are a handful of tracks on Plastic Ono Band that are really good, but All Things Must Pass is by far the best. That album by itself almost outweighs Lennon's entire solo career.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'll stick a mention in for Imagine which (after skipping the title track) is pretty damn good. Gimme Some Truth is fantastic on that, as is I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier Mama.

Probably doesn't count but I like Wings Band On The Run too - not really solo I guess.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Runcible... could it be that I've found someone else who dislikes the song Imagine?!? Please, say it's so!

Band On The Run is a good LP, but I prefer McCartney and Ram. Two charmingly unassuming little homespun albums.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

runcible wrote:I'll stick a mention in for Imagine which (after skipping the title track) is pretty damn good. Gimme Some Truth is fantastic on that, as is I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier Mama.

Probably doesn't count but I like Wings Band On The Run too - not really solo I guess.
Oh, come on. "Imagine" is not a bad song.

I think Wings count as solo.
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

No it's not a bad song - it's a brilliant song. I just can't listen to it anymore. Same as 'Satisfaction', 'Hey Jude', 'Stairway To Heaven', 'My Generation'. Probably a hundred others but those are the ones that sprang to mind.

Wings were a proper band with a key guitarist but I'll accept 'Band On The Run' as a very enjoyable album and close to solo.

Which moves into the direction of is Spiritualized a band or a solo effort? Only one consistent member of course.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I would say that Spiritualized started as something of a band and became completely a solo vehicle after the RAH concert.

Imagine is pretty melodically -- but I find it to be arrogant and intolerant.

"Imagine no possessions" -- ever hear of the tragedy of the commons? It's been demonstrated again and again that when things are owned by all there's not enough incentive for anyone to conserve or take care of the common property, and things fall apart. And Lennon himself certainly didn't give away all of his millions or go live on skid row.

"Imagine no religion" -- religion has brought comfort and meaning to literally billions of people since the beginning of human history, as well as inspired incredible artistic, architectural, and philosophical achievements. How thoughtless and unkind is it to want to get rid of something so meaningful to so many? Besides, the treacly greeting card sentiments of the song have become a sort of religion to millions of people anyway, so should the song no longer exist?

Bah -- to me Imagine is lyrically one of Lennon's worst songs.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

runcible wrote:No it's not a bad song - it's a brilliant song. I just can't listen to it anymore. Same as 'Satisfaction', 'Hey Jude', 'Stairway To Heaven', 'My Generation'. Probably a hundred others but those are the ones that sprang to mind.

Wings were a proper band with a key guitarist but I'll accept 'Band On The Run' as a very enjoyable album and close to solo.

Which moves into the direction of is Spiritualized a band or a solo effort? Only one consistent member of course.
Hey, Stairway To Heaven. I never liked it. And I only listened to it a couple of times. I don't even want to like the song.

Mh... Spiritualized... I think at least the first three albums were no solo effort. It felt like a proper band.
jadams501 wrote:I would say that Spiritualized started as something of a band and became completely a solo vehicle after the RAH concert.
Yeah, that sums it up pretty well.
jadams501 wrote: Imagine is pretty melodically -- but I find it to be arrogant and intolerant.

"Imagine no possessions" -- ever hear of the tragedy of the commons? It's been demonstrated again and again that when things are owned by all there's not enough incentive for anyone to conserve or take care of the common property, and things fall apart. And Lennon himself certainly didn't give away all of his millions or go live on skid row.

"Imagine no religion" -- religion has brought comfort and meaning to literally billions of people since the beginning of human history, as well as inspired incredible artistic, architectural, and philosophical achievements. How thoughtless and unkind is it to want to get rid of something so meaningful to so many? Besides, the treacly greeting card sentiments of the song have become a sort of religion to millions of people anyway, so should the song no longer exist?

Bah -- to me Imagine is lyrically one of Lennon's worst songs.
To me it's not just the lyrics. I can totally see your point and I agree with you there. But that's not why I like the song.

Better example? Come on. Little James by Oasis. OK, if you don't like Oasis anyway, you won't get my point. But I know a lot of people who loathe that song. And it's got some really pointless lyrics. I love it nevertheless.

I don't know what exactly John Lennon meant with "no religion", but I imagine it's not about having nothing spiritual. I think he means the inhuman and thoughtless systems that have caused millions and millions of people to kill each other. Just look at what happened in Germany in the 1930s and 40s, just because that way of thinking is burnt in the back of everyone's minds. It's not the comfort it brings that makes it bad, it's the stupidity that goes along with it. And I think there are a lot of people who use religion for the wrong purposes. And to be honest, most religions are not exactly open-minded, saying they are the only true religion. Of course you can say that, but isn't that a bit stupid? Religion - opiate for the masses? I think I have to agree with that. It just fits this narrow-minded world so much. Why care if there is big daddy taking care of you? Of course there are a lot of benifical institutions trying to help the poor. But that's not what I am talking about.

jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Already There wrote:Better example? Come on. Little James by Oasis. OK, if you don't like Oasis anyway, you won't get my point. But I know a lot of people who loathe that song. And it's got some really pointless lyrics. I love it nevertheless.
I'm very fond of Little James as well... probably tied with Songbird as my favorite Liam-written Oasis track. It's dumb and poorly written but there is definitely something very affecting about it! "Play with your toizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz even though they make noizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzze."
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jadams501 wrote:
That's one hell of a can of worms you have opened there mate and I'm not going to get into it in a big way as this isn't the right place. The argument goes full scale the other way as Already There has pointed out - religion is responsible for more hatred than pretty much anything anything else that has caused hatred in history. I think that is what Lennon was on about and he certainly has a point.

For me religion is fine when it has a personal importance, but when I hear that 'Church leaders have condemned...' or 'Church leaders regard this as a moral issue...' on the news I get pissed off. I am not in any way religious - quite the opposite in fact - so why should Church leaders views matter to me or anyone else like me? I'd better stop there as the Pope is in town soon and that's a very prickly subject to a lot of people.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

BzaInSpace wrote:You sure? I vividly recall hearing about that very album from none other than J. Spaceman around 1998 maybe?
Well it was isolation not love but unless firefox´s translator plugin is deliberately misleading he said this in a german interview less than a year ago:
Jason: This might be one of the Beach Boys? What, The the Beatles... John Lennon? Two Jungs from our tapes would have guessed this in seconds... Can I hear this once more, now where I know that it is John Lennon? Quite honestly, even now where you have betrayed it, do not believe yourselves I yet that really John Lennon is... Nevertheless, the thing with the music is they: Either you have already heard the record or just not. The [chronologically] last Beatles record which I have is presumably the white album.
bandontherun and allthingsmustpass are of course also great.. it´s the raw minimalist, almost punk thing I love about plastic.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

runcible wrote:
jadams501 wrote:
That's one hell of a can of worms you have opened there mate and I'm not going to get into it in a big way as this isn't the right place. The argument goes full scale the other way as Already There has pointed out - religion is responsible for more hatred than pretty much anything anything else that has caused hatred in history. I think that is what Lennon was on about and he certainly has a point.
For the record, I'm not religious either -- but I've known many people for whom religion has been a huge and positive part of their lives, and they deserve as much respect as any other. I'd say your argument about what's caused hatred can go the other way with regard to John Lennon, too -- revolutionary politics has probably led to some good results and given meaning to many lives, but it's also helped lead to monstrous Communist regimes that have murdered millions of people. That doesn't make the utopian revolutionary impulse bad, but in the wrong hands it can be dangerous and destructive, just like religion.

My favorite Lennon solo song is "God" because it points out that rigid fixation on anything can be bad, as opposed to "Imagine" taking cheap shots at an arbitrary target.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

jadams501 wrote:For the record, I'm not religious either -- but I've known many people for whom religion has been a huge and positive part of their lives, and they deserve as much respect as any other.
The people deserve respect, granted. It doesn't follow that their beliefs, or religion in general, deserves any respect at all. There seems to be a strange prevalent view that religion should be treated differently to other areas (politics or musical taste, for example), where it is (rightly) seen quite acceptable to have a vigorous and passionate debate.

My father died recently. I could have comforted myself by saying that he's with god now, or that he's now at piece, or that he's smiling down on us, or that I'll see him again. But I don't think that that is a particularly defensible view for an adult to take. The comfort offered by that approach is infantile and superficial. It seems far more dignified to not hide from the truth; he died. It's sad, and I'm sure it will make me sad for a long time (happy as well, as I reflect on the better times). But the idea that by pretending that there is some magical way that he isn't really dead at all just seems to be running away from the truth, and I think that the truth is actually rather important.

I'd like to believe that chocolate will make me slim and that red wine will make me attractive, but that doesn't make either of them true. Just because something is comforting doesn't make it true.

[Mods - sorry for the derail, please feel free to split thread.]
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jadams501 wrote:I've known many people for whom religion has been a huge and positive part of their lives, and they deserve as much respect as any other. I'd say your argument about what's caused hatred can go the other way with regard to John Lennon, too -
That's the part of religion I respect - on a personal level. The rest I have no time for. Look at the Catholic church - what a mess and what disgusting behaviour linked to so many senior members by covering up child abuse.

I don't think anything has caused more death in history (by human hand) than religion. That's the only argument I put forward.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

runcible wrote:I'd better stop there as the Pope is in town soon
Aye, fuckin Scotland is shut tomorrow and Friday for this bloody publicity stunt... turning motorways into carparks... i kid you not!

Why should everything come to a bloody halt just for him? :evil:
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

i love listening to this guy talk.. so cool
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I'm with Ian on this. Sorry to hear about your dad by the way mate...

Without getting into some massive firestorm, as Runcie says this may not be the right place, but I'm down with any kind of censorship and the feeling that one should refrain from entering into any kind of critique of what is essentially a bunch of superstitions.

I'm bothered that in the 21st Century people still cling to this kinda stuff - whilst I'll admit to a bit of respect for those that follow their own path and do not swallow sheer, nonsensical dogma (good TV show about this the other night, etc) I have absolutely NO RESPECT for the zealous, hate-filled emotional cripples of any 'religon' that frankly undo all the good work any of the former has ever done, nor do I have any respect for mindless, zombified levels of bureacracy that governs all the mainline, mass-marketed religons...

The fact that most of it was surely designed just to help and guide people to be good and, well proper I guess, in less enlightened times just highlights the insanity of essentially being a slave to a bunch of words that have been amended and edited over the years. Most of the religons find their roots and main ideas in older concepts and beliefs anyway.

Anyway, tomorrow good value indeed as around £12 million tax-payers money (allegedly) is being spent on a man who looks like he's actually dead, and being propped up with 'special robo-devices', and seems to believe that condoms are dangerous...

Byee..... :twisted:
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

scratch wrote:
Jason wrote: Two Jungs from our tapes would have guessed this in seconds...
Cheers Scratch, forgot to say... Phrase of the year!
scratch wrote: bandontherun and allthingsmustpass are of course also great.. it´s the raw minimalist, almost punk thing I love about plastic.
Yep, you could argue a fair bit could be trimmed from All Things Must Pass ...but I won't. I think I like 'I'd Have You Anytime', 'Sweet Lord' and 'Beware of Darkness' the most, but I love that album, and that maximalist Spector sound..

Band On The Run? Brilliant record...
runcible wrote:Which moves into the direction of is Spiritualized a band or a solo effort? Only one consistent member of course.
No debate! A band! They are a band... just think about the live thing! Most of whom have been there for a decade plus now - and it's not like they are just playing parts to order or by rote...
O P 8
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Ian wrote:
My father died recently. I could have comforted myself by saying that he's with god now, or that he's now at piece, or that he's smiling down on us, or that I'll see him again. But I don't think that that is a particularly defensible view for an adult to take. The comfort offered by that approach is infantile and superficial. It seems far more dignified to not hide from the truth; he died. It's sad, and I'm sure it will make me sad for a long time (happy as well, as I reflect on the better times). But the idea that by pretending that there is some magical way that he isn't really dead at all just seems to be running away from the truth, and I think that the truth is actually rather important.
Ian, my condolences.
In the last 5 years I have lost both my parents. Both under different circumstances. I find myself less religious than ever. We are in the middle of the holiest part of the Jewish calendar right now. I dont go to temple. Only for the memorial service for my parents which is 1 hour. We had this discussion with my relatives at Rosh Hashanah dinner last week.
When asked by my Mom 5 years ago if I wanted to go to Temple I simply asked if this question was being asked without any guilt attached to which she replied yes. It took a nano second for me to say no.
On the other hand I do believe in some supreme being, I do believe there is something after this life once we are gone. And in a really weird twist I am the family member that gets up every nmorning and says the mourners kaddish for my mother. It is meant to be said for 11 months after a immediate family member passes away. I am the least observant of anyone in my family.
I do take comfort in the idea that my Mom is not suffering, as she did for nearly two years, anymore. I know they are gone. I know I wont see them again. It hurts beyond belief. But this is the hand I have been dealt in this life and I just have to get on with it.
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Sonic Interviewed on Soft Focus & Religon!

Post by runcible »

Very moving stuff. Religion can indeed be a great comfort to many no doubt. My very old Godmother is intensely religious, still goes on retreats etc. - BUT she never talks about it. She watched her husband die of cancer for about 6 years and her faith got her through it. Her religion is deeply personal to her and she feels no need to brandish it around the place. I have a lot of respect for that although I'm completely devoted to her too.

What fucks me off is when the Pope tells Catholics in Africa that wearing a condom is wrong, therefore condemning millions of people to death. One of his aids (nice link there) has just described England as a 'third world country'. And people think these people are wise? Please...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I would be lying if I said I didn't believe there was some sort of judgement once a persons soul passes on to wherever the next stop is after this life. I have to believe that. There are so many assholes with no conscience walking around(in my case many of them related) that it would be most unfair and unkind to know they are headed to the same place as the good ones.
This life was enough having to deal with them. I really dont want to see them ever again. Not in the next place my soul winds up or anywhere else.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

spzretent wrote:I would be lying if I said I didn't believe there was some sort of judgement once a persons soul passes on to wherever the next stop is after this life. I have to believe that. There are so many assholes with no conscience walking around(in my case many of them related) that it would be most unfair and unkind to know they are headed to the same place as the good ones.
It's a nice thought, to think that all of the people who deserve to be dealt with for things that they've got away with in this life will be sorted out in the end. But that is exactly what I mean when I say that just because something is a comforting thought, it doesn't mean that it's got any validity.

Shit happens. We need to face up to it. This isn't a rehearsal, there is no "judgement" to come. Live your life well, spread love and take pleasure from it. This life is the only one we have.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Ian:
that may well be where you and I differ. I think there is judgement to come.
Case in point:
My fathers biggest fear was having an illness that would have been a burden on the family. Some long, drawn out, painful on the family sort of thing. He died suddenly. He was one of the most selfless people I had ever met.
He died suddenly. Like he wanted to. I have to believe that. And I do take comfort in that thought.
My mom was a different story. She was ill for over 2 years. The third week in May I saw her on Saturday. While I would not classify this as a great visit I told her i loved her and she said I love you too. My brother had a great visit with her on Sunday. My sister had a good visit with her on Monday. Tuesday morning she was gone. She was able to say goodbye to all of us individually.
Now for the part to tie this together.
My Dad passed away May 30, 2005. My Mom May 22nd 2010. In the jewish religion the anniversary of death is called yahrzeit. Now every year from now on my parents share the same yahrzeit. This is unheard of by anyone I know.
Coincidence? Maybe.
I think not.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Well, this is obviously tricky to talk about, because it's going to be very sensitive talking about the death of your parents. But as we're talking about the subject, with (I assure you) all goodwill... Do you think that the chances of a couple dying within a certain time period of each other (and I have to confess that I'm not clear how you would set the boundaries in this case, considering the events were separated by five years) is so tremendously unlikely that it must be down to something supernatural? I would have thought that, statistically, it is pretty common.

And that's the nub of the matter. Even something that is reasonably unusual, when multiplied by the enormous number of people in the world, happens pretty much all of the time. It's a major failing of humanity to read significance into the results of a small experiment (usually with a sample size of one or two). That's why science is based on large-scale experiments, double-blinds and statistical testing. You need to remove your predisposition to see what you want to see.

As Richard Feynman said, "The first rule is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool."
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Oh, and Imagine is shit, by the way.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Ian wrote:Well, this is obviously tricky to talk about, because it's going to be very sensitive talking about the death of your parents. But as we're talking about the subject, with (I assure you) all goodwill... Do you think that the chances of a couple dying within a certain time period of each other (and I have to confess that I'm not clear how you would set the boundaries in this case, considering the events were separated by five years) is so tremendously unlikely that it must be down to something supernatural? I would have thought that, statistically, it is pretty common.l."
No. I dont think it is common. I know no one else whom this has happened to. Though I know there are others just no one I know.
I realize baring one's soul on this message board is heavy but if not here, where? I feel like I know people on this board just as well than some of my local friends/acquaintances. Obviously just by posting here.
I have only met 1/10 of 1% of the folks on here. But its fine w/me to bare some of my soul.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

spzretent wrote:But its fine w/me to bare some of my soul.
I feel the same, and although you're one of the many here I haven't met, I'm more than comfortable having this conversation. Just thought it was wise to point out that a discussion of the concepts and interpretations, in all goodwill, is all that it is. So with that in mind...
spzretent wrote: No. I don't think it is common. I know no one else whom this has happened to. Though I know there are others just no one I know.
In your example, your parents died eight days apart (separated by five years). Assuming that it is equally likely that someone will die on any day, this gives this event a probability of 8/365 = 0.022. Reasonably unlikely, in any one given case. But that means that if you consider only 1000 couples, this will happen on average in 22 cases. Would you have given the event the same significance if the eight days had fallen in the other direction? That would increase the odds to 44 in 1000 cases. Would you have still granted it if it had been ten days instead of eight? That gets us up to 55 in 1000.

These aren't unusual events. They are common ones. My best friend's daughter shares his birthday, a far more unusual event, but even that's just coincidence. The odds on it happening in his case are 1 in 365, but multiply that by the actual number of children that there are, and it happens all the time.

[Note to statisticians - I know that the actual analyses of these situations is slightly more complex than this, but these ballpark figures are close enough to save us getting bogged down with a deeper analysis.]
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

There's a famous quote ascribed to G.K. Chesterton that he may not have written, but gets quoted often: "When a man stops believing in God he doesn¹t then believe in nothing, he believes anything."

It seems to me that religion often gets the blame for humanity's inclination to put irrational faith in figureheads and ideologies -- that the problem isn't religion so much as people's need to believe in SOMETHING rather than embrace a world of uncertainty and flux. In the increasingly secular world of the last century, people have been inclined to put unlimited faith in religion yes, but also nationalism, utopian globalism, the free market, centralized control of markets, self-interested politicians, cult leaders, gurus, rock stars (like John Lennon), and all manners of charismatic self-promoters.

Why single out religion as the great evil when it's the irrational belief that's the problem?
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

jadams501 wrote:Why single out religion as the great evil when it's the irrational belief that's the problem?
Well, I certainly agree that irrational belief is the problem. But surely it's obvious why religion should be the first in the firing line. Taken seriously by millions (billions?), and given respect even by people who aren't religious themselves, they claim to tell you how to live a "moral" life - even if that means treating women as second class citizens, condemning gays as equivalent to paedophiles, forbidding the use of condoms and thus sentencing thousands to death by AIDS, and systematically covering up child abuse to protect their own reputation. And that's just one religion (in the news in the UK at the moment, so at the front of my mind) - there are plenty of others just as bad.

People who put their "faith" in rock stars are, rightly, viewed with suspicion by most of us. If anyone here claimed that J could do no wrong (in life as well as music), I think the rest of us would say it's crazy. When it comes to religion, this view is not only accepted, but it is seen as bad taste to point out that it is not only crazy but dangerous.

Well, that point of view can just fuck off. Someone visits my country and claims that it is people like me who are Nazis for objecting to supernatural nonsense - when in fact it was the Nazis who wore belt buckles that said "God with us", and the Catholic church who did little to object to the Nazis when it mattered - does not deserve any respect, and it worries me that so many give what he represents any time at all, let alone take him seriously.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

This is all getting a little too deep for my liking......so I refer the forum to my last question! :wink:
Ads wrote:Who is the interviewer in this clip? He has to have one of the worst interviewing techniques I think I have ever seen! He mostly mumbles statements rather than ask questions, and on the occasions when he does ask a question it is so badly worded it almost becomes unanswerable. He really lacks any kind of warmth or personality.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Ian has summed up my views far better than I could have done in his last post. Spot on mate. There was a band called Blind Faith too of course.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Ian wrote:Someone visits my country and claims that it is people like me who are Nazis for objecting to supernatural nonsense - when in fact it was the Nazis who wore belt buckles that said "God with us", and the Catholic church who did little to object to the Nazis when it mattered - does not deserve any respect, and it worries me that so many give what he represents any time at all, let alone take him seriously.
He of all people should know exactly what it's like being a Nazi.

*Boom tish!*

:D
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Ads wrote:This is all getting a little too deep for my liking......so I refer the forum to my last question! :wink:
Ads wrote:Who is the interviewer in this clip? He has to have one of the worst interviewing techniques I think I have ever seen! He mostly mumbles statements rather than ask questions, and on the occasions when he does ask a question it is so badly worded it almost becomes unanswerable. He really lacks any kind of warmth or personality.
It's Ian Svenious who was/is frontman of garage rock band the Make Up. I think he's actually quite bright as he has written stuff about cultural theory/politics before. He does seem very inarticulate here though doesn't he? lots of weird silences. i do enjoy his interviews in spite of this though.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

I am sorry to hear about your father's death, Ian. And I'm sorry to hear that both your parents died, too, spzretent. My condolences to both of you. I don't think I have gotten over my grandmother yet and that's more than three years now.
BzaInSpace wrote:
scratch wrote:
Jason wrote: Two Jungs from our tapes would have guessed this in seconds...
Cheers Scratch, forgot to say... Phrase of the year!
Ever since I've read that, I think it's from 2004 or 2003 - Amazing Grace era - if I am not mistaken, I wonder which two guys he could be talking about. ^^
BzaInSpace wrote:
runcible wrote:Which moves into the direction of is Spiritualized a band or a solo effort? Only one consistent member of course.
No debate! A band! They are a band... just think about the live thing! Most of whom have been there for a decade plus now - and it's not like they are just playing parts to order or by rote...
But it's a bit like what Oasis used to be. If you know what I am hinting at...
runcible wrote: What fucks me off is when the Pope tells Catholics in Africa that wearing a condom is wrong, therefore condemning millions of people to death. One of his aids (nice link there) has just described England as a 'third world country'. And people think these people are wise? Please...
Yeah, this is what bothers me most. Also what their views on homosexuality are. Really absurd. And scary. Because they have so much power.

(listening to U2's I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. I wonder how many people dislike this song. For some weird reason, I like the song. But then again, I also like their second album October. ^^)
spzretent wrote:I would be lying if I said I didn't believe there was some sort of judgement once a persons soul passes on to wherever the next stop is after this life. I have to believe that. There are so many assholes with no conscience walking around(in my case many of them related) that it would be most unfair and unkind to know they are headed to the same place as the good ones.
This life was enough having to deal with them. I really dont want to see them ever again. Not in the next place my soul winds up or anywhere else.
I don't believe in judgement. I also don't think about people in terms of "good" or "bad", even though there ARE a lot of people doing shit out there. I don't think there's this fairness. Even though it would be nice. I think people "without a conscience" suffer, even though they never show it. I think having no conscience is bad enough. I think they miss out on a lot of things in life.

I am not sure whether there's something after death, no one is. I think the idea of nothing after death is more comforting to me than an afterlife. Why would I want that? Of course other people may disagree. I do believe in some kind of underlying concept though, but not something that can judge or rule or that gives us any kind of moral thinking.

Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Ian wrote:Oh, and Imagine is shit, by the way.
Nooooo. :lol:

But I agree it's overrated and gets played too often.
Ian wrote: People who put their "faith" in rock stars are, rightly, viewed with suspicion by most of us. If anyone here claimed that J could do no wrong (in life as well as music), I think the rest of us would say it's crazy. When it comes to religion, this view is not only accepted, but it is seen as bad taste to point out that it is not only crazy but dangerous.
But does "faith" mean it has to be unconditional, like love? I find it difficult in both cases because isn't it rather about being to judge properly about these things because you have faith in them? So why does it mean it has to be so narrow-minded?

burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

i dislike the guy, the ian pud that is, highly irritating
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

agreed, pretentious pseudo intellect
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

that's where justin beiber got his hair style from, turned it off, can't stand the guy, i feel like time is crawling to a slow halt listing to him, like watchin a sloth
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I love Justin Beibier... he should start his own religon.
O P 8
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Ian wrote:
jadams501 wrote:For the record, I'm not religious either -- but I've known many people for whom religion has been a huge and positive part of their lives, and they deserve as much respect as any other.
The people deserve respect, granted. It doesn't follow that their beliefs, or religion in general, deserves any respect at all. There seems to be a strange prevalent view that religion should be treated differently to other areas (politics or musical taste, for example), where it is (rightly) seen quite acceptable to have a vigorous and passionate debate.
Yes! The single most important piece of articulation on the subject of religion I've heard on here.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

BzaInSpace wrote:I love Justin Beibier... he should start his own religon.
He is already meshed with the New Religion.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Guessed wrote:
http://lesbianswholooklikejustinbieber.tumblr.com/

(fingers crossed mods will add "& J Bieb" to the thread title!)
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

toomilk wrote:
Guessed wrote:
http://lesbianswholooklikejustinbieber.tumblr.com/

(fingers crossed mods will add "& J Bieb" to the thread title!)
Thread title? Bah! I think the Biebs needs a whole forum subtopic devoted to his sublime greatness!
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

i remember having read somewhere that lennon regarded 'working class hero' as essentially identical in content to 'imagine' but much rawer, truer and better as a song... and that he concluded that being that honest does not sell as good as when you coat the same message with sugar :)

and, on the discussion about the pope etc: "I could have had religion, but that ain't too good"...? :D
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

bbbhenko wrote:i remember having read somewhere that lennon regarded 'working class hero' as essentially identical in content to 'imagine' but much rawer, truer and better as a song... and that he concluded that being that honest does not sell as good as when you coat the same message with sugar :)
Ha, you mention the one famous John Lennon song I like LESS than Imagine. A depressing, hyperbolic, pompous song that wallows in self-pity -- yuck!
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I really like Nation of Ulysses, and The Make-Up for that matter, but Ian Svenonius is a terrible interviewer. I've seen him interview Kevin Shields as well and the questions, if you could call them such, that he asks are completely inane.

He should stick to the day job, presuming that he still makes music?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

toomilk wrote: (fingers crossed mods will add "& J Bieb" to the thread title!)
Done... :D
O P 8
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

BzaInSpace wrote:
toomilk wrote: (fingers crossed mods will add "& J Bieb" to the thread title!)
Done... :D
THANK YOU JESUS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kffacxfA7G4

BAAAAYYYYBEEEEE BAAYYYYBBEEEE BAAYYYYBBEEEEE OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH
jadams501
Known user

Re: Sonic Interviewed on Soft Focus, Religon & Justin Bieber

Post by jadams501 »

I think Justin Bieber's "Baby" is the best t(w)een pop I've heard in ages. Lots of classic flavors in there -- one of the better things to be a smash hit over the last number of years.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

It's the one where they are bowling, isn't it? :lol: I've seen the video at Burger King when I've been in Amsterdam earlier this year. He's not much more than a 2010 version of Aaron Carter though, isn't he? I also liked Aaron's cover of "I Want Candy". ^^ What happened to him anyway? You sometimes hear things about his older brother, but... Anyway... I can't obsess over him. Miley Cyrus is interesting because her music is just so terrible, but she seems to be a clever kid. It's a bit like Lady Gaga, isn't it? Playing dumb to sell herself...

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Already There wrote:...Miley Cyrus is interesting because her music is just so terrible, but she seems to be a clever kid. It's a bit like Lady Gaga, isn't it? Playing dumb to sell herself...
What? Like I said to someone on here in reality not long ago, Lady Gaga is nobody's fool. I don't believe she acts dumb, and she certainly isn't 'dumb' either.

(Unlike, say... K*ty P*rry for example)

Miley Cyrus? She's interesting only from the point of view that she's clearly one of Satan's main vanguards on this planet.

After seeing her being interviewed by Jonathan Ross not so long ago, I can't shake the image of a child-like puppet, possessed by some grotesque, ultra-career driven, dollar-worshipping demon, whose own sense of determination and ruthlessness has reached some kind of critical mass...

Seriously? It was really quiet disturbing. Even 'Wossy' looked pretty taken aback.

Evil... :evil:
O P 8
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

BzaInSpace wrote:
Already There wrote:...Miley Cyrus is interesting because her music is just so terrible, but she seems to be a clever kid. It's a bit like Lady Gaga, isn't it? Playing dumb to sell herself...
What? Like I said to someone on here in reality not long ago, Lady Gaga is nobody's fool. I don't believe she acts dumb, and she certainly isn't 'dumb' either.

Miley Cyrus? She's interesting only from the point of view that she's clearly one of Satan's main vanguards on this planet.

After seeing her being interviewed by Jonathan Ross not so long ago, I can't shake the image of a child-like puppet, possessed by some grotesque, ultra-career driven, dollar-worshipping demon, whose own sense of determination and ruthlessness has reached some kind of critical mass...

Seriously? It was really quiet disturbing. Even 'Wossy' looked pretty taken aback.

I can't say anything about how she acts in public on a professional level. That is something completely different. I can imagine that it is pretty terrifying, just like the whole Hannah Montana thing. It's that name already, it's oozing this "Disney Channel"ness, absolutely terrible. But I think as a person, she is totally not what she represents. Which is a shame really.

I think Lady Gaga is not much better in that sense. Getting her on MTV with those terrible videos and those songs who at heart are truly quite remarkble, but the way they sound in the end is really just... Not better than Miley Cyrus in that sense. But the songs themselves ARE much better, yes, of course. She could have gone a completely different path, try it from a totally different angle. She's got some really good musical education. I'm not saying she should play piano and be this classical all-round talented woman, but only making the music she does to get her some really really good money is just very dishonest. I can't accept it at all. Of course, she is no fool, I never said that. And yeah, maybe "playing dumb" was not the best description, but I kind of wish she was at least stupid, so that whole thing doesn't seem as fake as it does.

If Lady Gaga was divine, then she should show it and not hide behind her whole marketing strategy. (That could be said for many more people, sadly.)

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

...I doubt anyone dresses in a bikini made out of raw meat as part of any kind of marketing strategy - and if they do, I applaud them!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11297832

But really - who cares?

I think she does like what she does - her music I mean - and she's making millions baby, winding up a lot of people whilst making - as you say - remarkable songs...

To suggest otherwise is kind of like that awful, indie-centric idea of accusing her of selling out, or something. Hey, why should she play the toilet circuit, occasionally playing the bottom of the bill of some shitty festival? Cause it's more, like, 'real'?

Fuck that!

"Singing songs...while cutting deals..."
O P 8
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

BzaInSpace wrote:
Already There wrote:...

Funny you mention HER.

I think she (and a host of others) are responsible for subjecting young minds to a new very sleak form of paedophilia.

B,
S.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

BzaInSpace wrote: To suggest otherwise is kind of like that awful, indie-centric idea of accusing her of selling out, or something. Hey, why should she play the toilet circuit, occasionally playing the bottom of the bill of some shitty festival? Cause it's more, like, 'real'?
Isn't that what Spiritualized do in a way? And isn't that a reason why Jason dropped the whole band after LAGWAFIS? Because they didn't make enough money? Should Spiritualized just stuff it because they are NOT trying to sell out?

And even though you make it appear as this naive and nice idea of making "real" music, why bother listening to music at all if it should rather be shit than actually daring and interesting and sounding good? I listen to music because I like the way it SOUNDS, not because of some deeper hidden meaning, of course that can be nice to, but that is never the reason for anyone to listen to music? Or is it? Is this world really just about ideas and concepts and what is real is not what appeals to us, but what we "should" like? Like some kind of musical dictation?

Like... I have to listen to Lady Gaga because so many people like it? Fuck THAT! I don't listen to Spiritualized because of their appeal in intellectual elitist indie groups, because I want to be part of a "musically knowing" movement, I don't even think there is such a thing. I believe it's like the alien idea that what you learn in school could be any good in real life. As if anyone cared about what is good. Everyone just seems to care about tags they can decorate with, ok, if people can life with that... I effin can't live with that. Maybe you even agree with me, but then your answer just seems so weird and out of place. Because, yes, I think "selling out" IS wrong. It's lazy. And greedy. And several other things I don't want to mention on here. I'm used to being called lazy and stupid and dumb, but actually making a strategy out of that, making it what your whole music is about, that IS wrong. I can't see why anyone wouldn't agree with that.

Of course not everyone can be so noble and has so much money and a lot of musicians and artists end up in debt because of that. Because they ARE trying to make something "real", real music. Because they actually want to make a difference. What difference does it make to dress in a bikini made out of meat? To shock? Ha ha, how shocking. NOW I am impressed. Is there actually anything GOOD she does do? Or does she just do her charity work in secret or maybe even to appear better. Like... Leona Lewis who went to Africa and took a look at the children there. Does she make ANY fucking difference, at least music wise? Does she enrich music? Is it worth having an artist like her? Give me a good reason and I won't say another word.

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

This makes me pine for earlier religion part of the thread.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

If Leona Lewis saved a single life by going to Africa then good on her and bugger the music which seems a little irrelevant in that context.