True Detectives (HBO)

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

True Detectives (HBO)

Post by TheWarmth »

Anyone watch the first episode? I thought it was fantastic. Can't wait for more. Really wonderful acting. Super creepy storyline. Visually excellent. I was surprised that Woody Harrelson's character is the more normal of the two detectives.
jack white
Known user

Re: True Detectives (HBO)

Post by jack white »

I thought it was interesting, more so than most tv lately.
V slow, character driven light on plot. But done better than usual.

Not too sure about accents actors adopt I've a hard enough time hearing Americans clearly let alone when they affect even more difficult accents.
Also woody is what? 210 now or something but is playing I don know a man in his early 40s? 50s? Good job on the hair but that's seriously his wife?!

Still interesting & fun so far.. I'm not willing to go l in on it yet seen too many shows start out strong only to jump the shark shortly after. They're prob ruin the mood here w/some dopey sci-fi/supernatural shit or just drag the fun out of the show by moving @ a snails pace.. But until that happens it does look promising.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I think the accents work. I mean, they are southern boys. Seems true to the location.
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

Also a nice use of the Black Angels' Young Men Dead during the credits.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Yea that was neat. Love the handsome family got the title song. Hbo's been on a run lately w/theme music, bjm/boardwalk & massive attack/luck & now this top stuff.

Just starting e02 now..

I need fucking subtitles for this shit. I've already missed a few things but what does he say in the scene in the lockerroom, he says, "you're senior detective.." & I can't make out what he says afte I've rewound the scene 5 times now still can't get it. Been a few of these so far..

"Well you're a smartass with you mouth shut." Am lmfao @ this scene with the police major. Have been in that situation so fucking often, it rings so true brilliantly done. Great show.

Even better closing track this week!! I completely marked out when it started.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm going to watch episode two tonight. I'll see if I can translate that line for you.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i wouldn't worry about it, it wasn't an important moment.

i am now willing to go all in on this show. am totally prepared for them to shit the bed w/it tho & spoof some old man in the box type trip (these "visions" for example..). but as it is, i'm in. hooked. think it was those boobs that clinched it.. :wink:
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

"You're Senior Detective ... maybe I'm lyin'."
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Really looking forward to this as we're not getting it in the UK on Sky Atlantic until the end of February. In the meantime, we've just finished season 2 of Boardwalk Empire, and what an end to an excellent show...FUCKING HELL!!!! :shock:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Another great tune over the closing

Fun episode. Nice to have a slightly lighter atmosphere but hopefully things get darker again soon.
Next ep they should get ledoux & the final 2 eps deal w/the preacher guy.. I gues the new case they're dealing with will tie-in w/the cliffhanger for the season..??
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Fantastic episode! Nice to finally get some action sequences. This is probably my favorite show right now.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

jesus, this is good. hooked already and Im only 2 episodes in.
Cohl (McConaughey)...wow!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

SPOILERS AHEAD

can't really say this one was filler considering the reveal of a bad guy but overall i was left a bit unsatisfied.

the whole marriage/partnership dissolution ok but everything in between was kinda corny - the fight was really rubbish & the sex scenes were just bad & i could have done w/o them. anyone remember this fight in deadwood? best tv fight ever.

anyways,
turning into a bit of a slough atm. i mean slow burners are all well and good but when the content sags or relies on boring old tropes it starts to get unsettingly & uncomfortable for the wrong reasons - out of boredom instead of tension.

it's like, get on w/it already. maybe 8 eps is too long..?? a 6 part mini-series would do better..?? anyway, i'm losing a bit of trust in the head honcho writer guy in that whether he can sustain & deliver on what he's built. get it on as the man says.

no way mcc's left eye was damaged like that in other modern day scenes in the series like when he's being interviewed by the other two cops.. continuity issue??
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Best song ever over closing credits. Good ep this week.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

That was a pretty satisfying ending. Major nod to Apocalypse Now too.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i thought it was p much the worst ending of anything ever

it actually made me lose faith in tv. like that episode of the simpsons - homer badman. i felt betrayed! i'll never be able to trust tv again.

green paint.

seriously.
i can't tell you how often i've been painting & somehow got my ears covered in it.
just yesterday i was helping my uncle paint his wall & i thought, "oh maybe i'll use my ears to do this part.."

the rest of the episode was weak as piss too. cliched stroll thru a labyrinth, the weird breakingbad sniper moment, the bromance. the fight was ok but even then it was pretty dense could've been better if rust & lawnmower guy had a chance to talk some??
whatever.

so it goes.
doubt i'll stick around for s02. unless it's for lulz.
show was a cheeseball mess by the end.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

JW - you very, very rarely seem satisfied with ... anything. What shows have you watched and actually enjoyed?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Watching Hannibal atm loving it.
Tho I always feel hungry after..

Are u really going to defend that TD finale & its ridiculous leap re green paint?!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Call it a "ridiculous leap" if you'd like. It didn't bother me. It certainly wasn't the first element of the show to require a bit of the old temporary suspension of disbelief. I suppose I just find your complete thrashing of the finale as overly harsh. You're literally the only person I have encountered that was disappointed.

http://thequietus.com/articles/15014-tr ... ive-review
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

A little late to the party but now 3 episodes in and I'm hooked incredible acting by MM & WH :D
'Remember, change is not good'
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Just finished it and loved it was just lomg enough. I really loved the slow burn of it just cranks it up for when stuff does happen. Last ep had some really uncomfortable viewing moments, I'll leave it at that :lol:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Liked the whole first season : great storyline and characters. Seemed like the storyline tied up well in the end. I don't think Matthew McConnaghey (spelling?) and Woody Harrelson will reprise their roles for season 2 ?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

BVCP206 wrote:Last ep had some really uncomfortable viewing moments, I'll leave it at that :lol:

that's a very polite way of putting it. total facepalm/wtf/hfs (in the worst possible way) viewing moments are prob closer to what happened tho.
green paint.

people giving this guy pizzolatto a free pass is such bullshit. the guy's a clown. a spoofer on par w/damon lindelof.
still smdh over this pos show. so much fun was thrown into the mixer only for every single fun thing to be a damn red herring. then the show gets wrapped up by some inexplicable leap of magical foresight. it's actually hilariously funny - for all wrong reasons.

colin farrell is supposedly to star in season 2..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

colin farrell is supposedly to star in season 2..[/quote]

Oh dear :roll:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

It has been announced that yes, Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn will star in the second season. We'll see. I liked the chemistry between Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConnaughy.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

anyone still watching this?

think colin farrell has actually been really good in it. him & his ex-wife, abigail spencer (from that superb rectify show & the fappening :wink: ) are excellent.
the rest has been.. well.. y'know me, hard to please.
i'm kinda hate-watching it atm, cause vince vaughn unintentionally makes me laugh & there's not much else on - bar the exceptional Hannibal _ & there's, mercifully, only 8 episodes.

don't think the general reaction has been too kind to it. but i still don't think it's done anything as egregious as the last 2 episodes of season 1. i actually think it's been relatively ok, with a lot of crap parts.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Yep, Watched the 1st 5 episodes in a splurge last weekend, got to say I`m enjoying it, Farrell is really good in it I think, Vaughan? He`s been okay , wasn`t sure I could put some of his shitty comedy turns out of my mind, I actually though he was going to play one of the Detectives, Richie Costner as Mayor Chessani is quite a turn also, a really sleazy f#cker.

It also looks fantastic, the locations an camera work, its certainly showing a certain grubbier, down at heel side of California I hadn`t expected. Taken for what it is I`m enjoying it and trying not to compare it to series 1.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

spacemanrich wrote:Liked the whole first season : great storyline and characters. Seemed like the storyline tied up well in the end. I don't think Matthew McConnaghey (spelling?) and Woody Harrelson will reprise their roles for season 2 ?
Great acting from WH + especially MM. But storyline tied up well? Doesn't that depend how you define success in the context of this genre?

I thought (and it was confirmed following further info from Nic Pizzolatto) the loose ends were not supposed to neatly tie together, like in the denouement of an episode of CSI or Morse?

Surely the whole point of the story exposition was that we ended up with both questions answered, plus plenty left open? More fodder for the imagination is usually a good thing...

My interpretation regarding the rationale behind the final episode of S1 was that whilst it may have initially have left viewers unsatisfied and unsatiated ... once you understood the series primary focus was the story of the detectives rather than the victims, the season reached a natural resolution and makes perfect sense.

What made season 1 of True Detective interesting for me was how smartly it inverted the regular TV detective genre. I'm about to begin watching season 2; I hope it manages to be as entertaining as S1 - I'm trying to put aside all the hints and other bits of information I've accidentally managed to pick up!

The anthology style envisaged by the writer suggests any future seasons will not feature the same characters, though I suspect I'm not the only person who would like to see a follow-up story after Rust and Marty reconciled in the hospital; surely that's simply a credit to great storytelling - leaving the audience wanting more...
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle