ETERNAL TAPESTRY at The Roadhouse, Manchester. 10th June

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

James T
Known user

ETERNAL TAPESTRY at The Roadhouse, Manchester. 10th June

Post by James T »

https://www.facebook.com/events/737221033040966/

The Beauty Witch & Dots & Loops present

Eternal Tapestry
Paddy Shine (GNOD)
TVAM

Portland, Oregon’s sonic explorers Eternal Tapestry have always had a feeling of interplay between their impressionistic music and the dense forests that surround their hometown, but on their newest album, Wild Strawberries, they take that naturalistic inspiration to a new level. Wild Strawberries is a massive double album, which was recorded in a secluded cabin under the shadow of Mount Hood in Zigzag, OR. The Zigzag River flowed nearby, and the group spent time between takes learning about the area’s floral make up and relaxing under the stars. This idealistic lifestyle, however temporary, helped to chart the course of the recording process. Wild Strawberries’ artwork and song titles, which are named after plants specific to the region, both speak to the influence of that environment. The lush atmosphere combined with a week long sequestration from the outside world had a pronounced impact on the music, which unfolds in a panoramic slow burn. Wild Strawberries yields vast rewards for those who spend time in its aural forest.

The contrast between the openness of the massive Oregon sky and the denseness of the trees is echoed in Wild Strawberries’ expansive guitar tones and looming organ drones. The album is thick with the lysergic leads that populated their earlier releases, but the airiness of the woods has seeped into Nick Bindeman’s guitar playing, refining it and opening it up to new modal possibilities. The album as a whole unfolds patiently, but not without purpose. Prior to the recording session drummer Jed Bindeman came across 700 Phish cassette bootlegs, and it was on these cassettes that the sessions for Wild Strawberries were taped, using an eight-track recorder. Thanks to the relaxed vibe of the cabin, the band was able indulge in extensive improvisational experiments, playing around with the limits of the tape machine. The wealth of material allowed them to select only the most successful of their many pieces.

Tickers £8 adv. available online soon.
Laz69
Known user

Re: ETERNAL TAPESTRY at The Roadhouse, Manchester. 10th June

Post by Laz69 »

Mmmm... this might be worth a little trip down to manchester again :D Keep us posted James T!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

You know I will!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

James, do you know if ET are going to be playing more dates while in the UK? I know they've got a double album coming out on Thrill Jockey soon. 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Did you get their recent 5 track EP ? Awesome naturally
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'd imagine they're playing more dates, but I don't have those available to me right now. Either way, best to come to Manchester for it!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I've been planning on coming down for this but now have a wee bit of an issue. The coach back to Glasgow which i previously used was right after the show (around 1am) but this is not scheduled to run this time and the earliest coach back home is 7am the following morning. This kinda derails my cheap trip plans.

I hate to ask or be an inconvenience to anyone but does anyone going to the show have a floor i could crash on for a few hours? Local hotels are just way too expensive and not really worthwhile for just a few hours. My only other option is just to crash at the bus station until the morning which ain't ideal, but maybe my only option.

If anyone can help out, please let me know. Ta.