Sonic Boom live - Coventry

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Dreamweapon
Known user

Sonic Boom live - Coventry

Post by Dreamweapon »

angelsighs
Known user

Re: Sonic Boom live - Coventry

Post by angelsighs »

you beauty!! i'm there!

this venue is exceedingly tiny. it's basically the backroom to a pub.

does the email say what kind of show it will be.. Synthcurious?- obviously not a Spectrum type deal then.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

here's the blurb, seems to be much more of an EAR type gig than Spectrum

SynthCurious is the first in a series of electronic music events in Coventry. Curated by Alex Miles and Ian Campbell, with support from The Tin Music and Arts, and funding from Arts Council England and Coventry City Council. Its intention is to demystify electronic music synthesisers, and make them more accessible to others, through live performances, modular synth event, films, and DIY synth workshops.

In an age when synths are more widely available and affordable than ever, there has never been a better time to be Synthcurious.
mat1922
Known user

Post by mat1922 »

Anyone else go to this?

Really enjoyed it- it was a solo set like he was doing a few years back, starting with Walking & Falling, and ending with The End. Two instrumental (maybe improvised?) long pieces in the middle. Good turn out (although v small room), with a couple of ex spacemen in attendance too. Hope he does some more soon.... Pete also did a q and a (focussing mainly on Delia Derbyshire) the next afternoon. He was very patient with two inteviewers who didn't seem to know how to bring an interview to an end....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah I thought it was cracking!

I thought the turn out was pretty good for music that is more on the avant garde side of things- I've certainly seen The Tin much less full than that!

shows that my Sonic knowledge is lacking that i didn't recognise the beginning and ending songs.. i remember him doing some vocals near the beginning but I thought the whole thing was improvised.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

mat1922 wrote:Anyone else go to this?

Really enjoyed it- it was a solo set like he was doing a few years back, starting with Walking & Falling, and ending with The End. Two instrumental (maybe improvised?) long pieces in the middle. Good turn out (although v small room), with a couple of ex spacemen in attendance too. Hope he does some more soon.... Pete also did a q and a (focussing mainly on Delia Derbyshire) the next afternoon. He was very patient with two inteviewers who didn't seem to know how to bring an interview to an end....
Which ex-Spacemen?

Sounds great night - would have loved to have seen it. Was there any indication the next afternoon of future events or indeed the future of Spectrum?
mat1922
Known user

Post by mat1922 »

Sorry missed this....

Pete Bain and Tim Morris were both there.

Yes, I asked a question in the Q and A regarding future Spectrum releases. Pete was a bit cagey and alluded to some issues with difficulties with the rights. I assume this is with Spaceage but he didn't go into the detail. He said he was still writing new stuff though....
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

mat1922 wrote:Sorry missed this....

Pete Bain and Tim Morris were both there.

Yes, I asked a question in the Q and A regarding future Spectrum releases. Pete was a bit cagey and alluded to some issues with difficulties with the rights. I assume this is with Spaceage but he didn't go into the detail. He said he was still writing new stuff though....
To be honest I've given up on any new actual material (I've asked him the same questions in the past and he always (charmingly / resignedly) gives the same vague answers) ... was thinking more about actual touring dates with full band - i.e. is this solo show possible pointer that full-band Spectrum dates have been knocked on the head?
mat1922
Known user

Post by mat1922 »

To be honest I've given up on any new actual material (I've asked him the same questions in the past and he always (charmingly / resignedly) gives the same vague answers) ... was thinking more about actual touring dates with full band - i.e. is this solo show possible pointer that full-band Spectrum dates have been knocked on the head?
He didn't mention any other dates at all to be honest- was clearly still v much focussed on the production work. I wouldn't read too much into the return to the solo electronic format though- I got the impression it was a one off for the synth festival.