Liverpool Psych Fest 2015 with Spiritualized

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

James T
Known user

Liverpool Psych Fest 2015 with Spiritualized

Post by James T »

All I know so far, article won't load at work! Who else is on there?
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Liverpool Psych Fest 2015 with Spiritualized

Post by angelsighs »

it doesn't really give much else away... other artists are Evil Blizzard, Giant Swan, Hey Colossus and Zun Zun Egui. (me neither)

it does say that part of it will be curated by Sacred Bones and Bym Records-so that could potentially mean bands like Moon Duo, Destruction Unit, Follakzoid etc etc could be added.

whatever, I'm there with bells on...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Pretty sure Follakzoid won't be there, but who knows.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

just seen the rest of the announcement- the rest of it is fairly underwhelming but it's just the first batch.

I was just thinking the other day that Sacred Bones are one of the few labels where I would happily go and see a festival of just their acts. so very excited to see who they put on.

the site's also now been expanded to 4 stages.. I hope this actually means bands will be more spread out, rather than them just trying to cram more bands in.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Death and vanilla are a good addition kind of Broadcast meets Soundcarriers type thing.
The rest of the line up is average. And there is no early bird offer for those on email list, so that's a 20 quid price hike on last year. I knew this would happen, running out of bands, blow the budget on a big name, costs go right up
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Aquarian-Time wrote: The rest of the line up is average. And there is no early bird offer for those on email list, so that's a 20 quid price hike on last year. I knew this would happen, running out of bands, blow the budget on a big name, costs go right up
Yep, was wondering why I hadn't received an early bird offer. I noticed that the dorm package is £34 dearer than last year too :shock: :evil: It also appears to be further away from the venue than last year's option. Hmmph...

As for the line up...well the Sacred Bones vs BYM is definitely interesting. Guess it depends on what Sacred Bones acts end up playing 'cos there is some fucking shit on that label too. With Spiritualized now playing two psych fests i really hope the setlists and ferocity of the music reflect this.
The rest of it features stuff i'd be curious about but not excited by.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote: I knew this would happen, running out of bands, blow the budget on a big name, costs go right up
oh man I hope you are not right.. if Spz are the only big band there, and the rest of it is the dregs of Sacred Bones and Bym I ain't gonna be particularly pleased.
sunray wrote:The rest of it features stuff i'd be curious about but not excited by.
that sums it up for me too.. but having said that I am still excited to be going and wait with bated breath for future announcements. it's gonna be a good crack whatever.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I will go, as its local to me , so silly not to, especially for the amount of acts potentially on offer. Just hope the next wave of acts has a bit more wow factor
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Aquarian-Time wrote:I will go, as its local to me , so silly not to, especially for the amount of acts potentially on offer. Just hope the next wave of acts has a bit more wow factor
I had decided i was going to really make an effort to come down for this after seeing previous years line ups and being blown away and i've been patiently waiting for some sort of announcement of about this year's festival but i'm just not excited by it at all... hmmm... would Spiritualized be able to up their game enough to compete with the likes of those who've previously played this? They would really need to be all-out-lightshow-tastic in my opinion... will hang on a while longer before i decide.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Won`t the 4th stage and move into a 3rd venue have something to do the ticket price rises?

Not sure about the accomodation stuff, but Spiritualized at The Furnace will be well cool, and confident the organizers will plenty great stuff to come,
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, agree with most on here. Over the moon with the Spiritualized announcement but the rest of the bill certainly didn't have the same effect. I'm pretty sure last year's first line up announcement was better. Still, I'm pretty sure there'll be plenty more pleasant surprises to come. All I have to do now is convince Mrs Shines that I HAVE to go to this AND my best mate's 40th birthday bash around the same time (possibly to Amsterdam :shock: ) :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

just remembered I saw Zun Zun Egui a couple of years back supporting the Dirty Three. they weren't really my cup of tea, it was a kinda world music groove thing.

really interested to see what bands get added now. If they add the cream of Sacred Bones and some other big psych names that they haven't managed to get before, I'm happy.
lets face it though, if it was any other small festival of this size that got Spz we'd be all over it... it's just that Liverpool Psych Fest has set such a high bar for itself in previous years.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ticket bought :D

Amazing that they can charge you £1.50 to print out a ticket yourself :evil:
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Paid a ridiculous extra £3.25 a few days ago for a Muse concert via Ticketmaster's 'paperless' ticket (email confirms ticket bought, bring your id with you)...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I see that Jacco Gardner and Unknown Mortal Orchestra are both playing gigs in Dublin on the 26th so I think it's a safe bet that they'll be in Liverpool on the Friday.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

As it stands I'm probably going to go, but the line up needs to improve by quite some distance.

Carlton Melton supposedly playing, I would also wager The Holdrug Couple and The Psychic Ills will be there.

Black Angels have never played it before..........
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Aquarian-Time wrote:As it stands I'm probably going to go, but the line up needs to improve by quite some distance.

Carlton Melton supposedly playing, I would also wager The Holdrug Couple and The Psychic Ills will be there.

Black Angels have never played it before..........
There is a bit of me that agrees with you about the lineup. I'm going principally for the day out. The beer and food are, for festivals, really good. There is a great atmosphere and despite the crappy toilet situation (see what I did there :roll: ) it is a good excuse for some of the board members to go on the lash. I am not sure the lineup is that much worse than it was two years ago. Last year was stellar given all the rocket acts, and was always going to be hard to follow.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I would be delighted with Carlton Melton as it looks unlikely they'll ever play Ireland. Would also love Earthless, Endless Boogie and Eternal Tapestry for the same reason. Plus, they're all fucking great!

I thought the 2013 line up was excellent myself and a lot more impressive than what we've got so far this year. It is early days though and i'm hoping the next batch will give kick it up a notch or two.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I would add Wand to that list off bands, their 2 albums are great, but Psyche is broad scene/spectrum, and every side might not be to everybody`s taste, I wouldn`t have really thought about Unknown Mortal Orchestra if asked, but if they play I would be their to check them out definitely,

I like the idea of checking out stuff I`m only familiar with, long as its mixed with a dozen or so folks I really want to see, I`ll be happy.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Full line up announcement and a ticket price increase next week.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

can't believe I didn't spot this!
The Flowers of Hell let slip they are playing this.

https://twitter.com/FlowersOfHell/statu ... 7716802560
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

The Heads and Carlton Melton added to the bill now... along with Lumerians and Hookworms...

Fuckity fuck fuck. I'd written off the opportunity to head to this and, typically, the line up steps up a level.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I was right. Once Roadburn was out of the way The Heads would be added. Got to be honest, it was in hope rather than belief! I wonder will it be with Prof or not?

Looking good now: The Heads, Kandodo 3, Carlton Melton, Lumerians, Cult of Dom Keller, Factory Floor, Hookworms, Destruction Unit, Holydrug Couple, Big Naturals :D 8)

A number of the above are playing the Cardinal Fuzz stage.

I just hope The Heads or Carlton Melton don't clash with Spiritualized (who I think will have to seriously up their game for this).

Laz, get your finger out and go! :)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, great line-up announcement today. After the initial line-up was revealed I was thinking it was going to be nowhere near as good as last year's event but today's news has rectified that. I've still got the problem of it being the same month as my best friend's 40th celebrations in Amsterdam so going to have to persuade the Mrs that Liverpool Psych Fest is going to be some kind of romantic mini-break for us :roll: :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:Yeah, great line-up announcement today. After the initial line-up was revealed I was thinking it was going to be nowhere near as good as last year's event but today's news has rectified that. I've still got the problem of it being the same month as my best friend's 40th celebrations in Amsterdam so going to have to persuade the Mrs that Liverpool Psych Fest is going to be some kind of romantic mini-break for us :roll: :wink:
I would get the romance sorted either before or on the train to Liverpool. I doubt the combined impact of the Pzyche Red and the ringing in your ears after Carlton Melton, The Heads, Spiritualized et al are finished with you would be good for a man of your advanced years and delicate constitution anyway.... :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

nothing more romantic than getting blasted by psych sounds, surely? :)

yep, I'm right on board after this announcement too. very chuffed with The Holydrug Couple and Destruction Unit as they were two of the ones I was hoping for from the Sacred Bones roster.
getting The Heads is quite a coup (The Heads boys must have known at the time of the London gig, right? and kept a lid on it)- plus we get Kandodo and Big Naturals from the extended Heads family!

it's not as good as the insanely good lineup two years ago. and there is the slight fear that some bands are getting repeated (I will be seeing Hookworms for the umpteenth time!). but a strong lineup in my opinion!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Looking forward to a day of complaining about the sound.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I noticed Flowers of Hell aren't playing after all.. must have been a change of plan.
sunray wrote:
I just hope The Heads or Carlton Melton don't clash with Spiritualized (who I think will have to seriously up their game for this).
I think Jason should troll the entire crowd and play an hour of strictly lullabies and ballads
:)
James T wrote:Looking forward to a day of complaining about the sound.
looking forward to that.. ;)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Yeah that's some great additions today, and a few I would never have guessed in a million yrs. Factory Floor & Blanck Mass?? Really pleased they`ve been picked, f#ck knows where they fit on the psyche spectrum though, although Blanck Mass have an album coming out on Sacred Bones next month. Is this the final line up or is there more to come I wonder? either way it looking good.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote:
sunray wrote:
I think Jason should troll the entire crowd and play an hour of strictly lullabies and ballads
You may laugh now but there is every chance he will do exactly that. I'm still bitter about their appearance at Body & Soul a few years ago. :evil:

Would agree with niamhm too, nice to have something a bit more electronic on the bill. Last time I saw Factory Floor they were certainly a lot more psychedelic than a lot of the bands on last years bill. As much as I enjoyed last year I would have loved to have heard some reggae, funk or techno just to break things up a bit. I know, I know....it's a psych fest, but guitars 24/7 can wear a bit thin.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just bought tickets for me and Mrs Shines. Not sure how I'm going to convince her that its a romantic weekend once The Heads hit their stride :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

I like the new direction A LOT

Factory Floor
Blanck Mass

I will be taking many chemicals

Fuck me - what an event this is!

Really made up, nailed into the diary
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

sunray wrote:Cult of Dom Keller
True story - I was at a management meeting at my company HQ Nottingham last week, sat next to a bloke who looked out of place, less cheap suit and shit shoes - more mutton chop sideburns and lennon glasses. Turns out to be in Cult of Dom Keller, unforgivably I forget his name now.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

KingHarry wrote:I like the new direction A LOT

Factory Floor
Blanck Mass

I will be taking many chemicals
Good man. I was beginning to think I was the only one on this forum who still partook.
Have to say I was shocked at the lack of recreationals on offer last year :cry: :evil: :? Its a psych fest for god's sake!!!!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Finally got around to booking my tickets today. I am really looking forward to this, particularly the presence of Carlton Melton and The Heads on the same bill.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

music is the drug!

I've investigated a few of the artists I'm not familiar with- surely Factory Floor and Blanck Mass fit the bill of the more electronic end of the spectrum? they are not strictly my thing, but still good to have a bit of variety on the bill.

I quite enjoyed Death and Vanilla- nice retro psych, will definitely be checking them out.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Big Naturals, The People's Temple and a couple of other bands no longer playing. ZHOD and Gala Drop take their place. No idea who either of them are.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the only one I'm worried about there is Big Naturals. would have been gutted if it was one of the bigger bands.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:Big Naturals, The People's Temple and a couple of other bands no longer playing. ZHOD and Gala Drop take their place. No idea who either of them are.
:( Balls. I was really looking forward to Big Naturals. They were very interesting in their role as members of Anthroproff last year. I really like the stuff they did with The Heads.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

So The Heads have a warm up gig in Bristol on Friday 25th, as do Spiritualized in Leeds. I really hope the organisers have the cop on not to have the two of them playing at the same time the following night.

The Heads will also have 300 blue vinyl copies compiled from the Time In Space cdr's available at Liverpool only. Of course they have Orange versions only available at the Bristol show :roll: ....

....With clear vinyl versions to follow!!!!
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

angelsighs wrote: I think Jason should troll the entire crowd and play an hour of strictly lullabies and ballads
Don't tempt fate, that's what happened at Levitation!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Huxley123 wrote:
angelsighs wrote: I think Jason should troll the entire crowd and play an hour of strictly lullabies and ballads
Don't tempt fate, that's what happened at Levitation!
oh, so it's all my fault now is it! :)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I'm seriously thinking of swerving this years shindig. The line up is average. I would prefer to watch The Heads at Bristol on their patch. Spiritualized current setlist is crap (and tired) and there is very little else I want to see (other than 3 or 4 bands)
Mind will need to be made up soon but i ain't digging it at the minute
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I must have been in a bad mood... tickets will be purchased next week !!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Good news - that was a quick turn around!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I finally bit the bullet and got my weekend ticket... trains sorted too...

I think it's easy to be harsh on this lineup. still enough to get me excited.

whether Spz raise their game will be the important thing..
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

My tickets are bought, and looking forward to it, plenty acts I want to see - including one I never thought I`d see ever, guess? - and a fair few I`ll be happy to check out, and you can`t really argue with a weekend away from home, but does anybody know if that's it, or is there another round of acts to be confirmed?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote: My tickets are bought, and looking forward to it, plenty acts I want to see - including one I never thought I`d see ever, guess? - and a fair few I`ll be happy to check out, and you can`t really argue with a weekend away from home, but does anybody know if that's it, or is there another round of acts to be confirmed?
see you there niamh!

The Heads are the act you never thought you'd see, presumably?

yep this is it- this is the final lineup, aside from them announcing what exactly Anton Newcombe's 'Artist in Residence' role will entail.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

angelsighs wrote:
niamhm wrote: My tickets are bought, and looking forward to it, plenty acts I want to see - including one I never thought I`d see ever, guess? - and a fair few I`ll be happy to check out, and you can`t really argue with a weekend away from home, but does anybody know if that's it, or is there another round of acts to be confirmed?
see you there niamh!

The Heads are the act you never thought you'd see, presumably?

yep this is it- this is the final lineup, aside from them announcing what exactly Anton Newcombe's 'Artist in Residence' role will entail.
He has an album coming out with Tess Parks - who is playing - so I guess its not too much of a leap to expect them to do a set together, their also touring UK in July , the RSD track I think is pretty cool, stoned to f#ck in fact, if that's your bag,

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Dead Sea Apes announced as the replacement for Big Naturals on the Cardinal Fuzz stage.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

plus:

Zhod
Fever The Ghost
Radar Men From The Moon
and.. The Flowers of Hell :)
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

ace news on flowers of hell
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

clewsr wrote:ace news on flowers of hell
agreed! :)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

just had a Songkick notification to say that Sun Araw are playing this on the Saturday, can't find any official word anywhere though... that's awesome if it's true.
looks like they definitely have a UK tour lined up in Sep though.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I didn't know they were playing Liverpool but I do know they are playing here in Brighton late October. :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Glasgow date announced too... Sept 23rd at The Flying Duck.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yup here are the full dates. Look to be playing Manchester on the Sunday after psych fest too so it kinda makes sense. Bear in mind songkick is not totally reliable. Anybody can upload dates to it. Shines- they've got the Brighton date as 28th Sep?

http://www.songkick.com/artists/2379671 ... w/calendar
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

so some bands can play Manchester after the psch fest and other seemingly cant ? (or at least have to play under an alias )
Pinkshinyultrablast are playing Manchester same kind of time.
I recall Besnard lakes played Manchester as well after they appeared at psych fest
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah, I guess they must do it on a case by case basis. if they think a band will be a big draw they might try and engineer an exclusivity deal. with the smaller bands it's not worth it as people won't come to the festival especially for Pinkshinyultrablast or whoever.
others will know more about how it works (James T?)
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

angelsighs wrote:Yup here are the full dates. Look to be playing Manchester on the Sunday after psych fest too so it kinda makes sense. Bear in mind songkick is not totally reliable. Anybody can upload dates to it. Shines- they've got the Brighton date as 28th Sep?

http://www.songkick.com/artists/2379671 ... w/calendar
That's good news, cheers for the link. He's playing London so I reckon I'll get a ticket in. I must admit I haven't bought the Gazebo Effect album though. Has anyone got it, heard it, got an opinion on it? The only track I've heard, Trelis, didn't do much for me at the time, quite a hard listen.

EDIT:
More info on the London dates, sounds impressive https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/events/sun-ar ... residency/

Also, just listening to Trellis again and it sounds odd and beautiful this morning. I find with his more experimental work that you just have to open your mind wide to it, accept it and let it flow. Any resistance or too much thought and you snag on the crazy rhythms or sounds that don't quite 'compute' and you're left fighting the tide.........(bit like an acid trip really).
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Just realised I'm meant to be doing a 17-mile foot race on the Sandstone Trail on the Sunday.

Hedonism at the Libpwl PF is not the ideal pre-race prep.
catweazel
Known user

Post by catweazel »

KingHarry wrote:Just realised I'm meant to be doing a 17-mile foot race on the Sandstone Trail on the Sunday.

Have you thought about using a high-powered motorbike for the foot race? It would speed things up considerably, leaving you brimming with energy for the Psychfest.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

catweazel wrote:
KingHarry wrote:Just realised I'm meant to be doing a 17-mile foot race on the Sandstone Trail on the Sunday.

Have you thought about using a high-powered motorbike for the foot race? It would speed things up considerably, leaving you brimming with energy for the Psychfest.
Going to sack off the run.

When do they typically announce the daily running order? Don;t recall.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

KingHarry wrote:
do you mean who is playing on each day, or the exact timetable?

I think the former should be any moment now.

the latter- literally days before, if memory serves.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

angelsighs wrote:
KingHarry wrote:
do you mean who is playing on each day, or the exact timetable?

I think the former should be any moment now.

the latter- literally days before, if memory serves.
Yes, meant the former - who playing which day. I will only be going to one day I reckon. Have a feeling based upon nothing but a hunch that Factory Floor will be playing the Friday and mess up all my plans
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Design.