Re: The Walking Dead

Post by BVCP206 »

Darker & darker & darker, this show is brilliant :D
'Remember, change is not good'
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I still maintain that the one-time "congressperson" is way out of her depth, and failure to heed warnings from those better informed of the "life outside" IS truly mirrored by life inside in this Apocalyptic Scenerio, there is no room for weakness or the illusion that the "Fortress" is much different inside than out. Her Idealism is very misplaced in this Scenerio - and very much premature by an unknown period of time, and no good can come of it. Excellent Special Effects for what they are meant to portray; I am surprised there is not much complaining about the nature of the numerous "headshots", but that is Hollywood, I guess.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Well this is set up perfectly for the season finale no idea where it will go, certainly blurring the lines as to which group should come out on top although was routing for Rick at end of penultimate episode :D
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Given the Scenerio we have to work with, the "apparently tamed suburbanites" should be eliminated as a threat to what is a more cohesive (and necessarily vicious) "Roving Gang" i.e. Rick et al.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

semisynthetic wrote:Given the Scenerio we have to work with, the "apparently tamed suburbanites" should be eliminated as a threat to what is a more cohesive (and necessarily vicious) "Roving Gang" i.e. Rick et al.
Your use of the word apparently couldn't be more apt, still time for the odd curve ball me thinks :wink:
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

BVCP206 wrote:
semisynthetic wrote:Given the Scenerio we have to work with, the "apparently tamed suburbanites" should be eliminated as a threat to what is a more cohesive (and necessarily vicious) "Roving Gang" i.e. Rick et al.
Your use of the word apparently couldn't be more apt, still time for the odd curve ball me thinks :wink:
BVCP206,
I HAD to use "apparently"; it made it more plausible to have then auto-opted for eliminating these "Suburbanites" in their sleep. :D
You DID say it was getting "Dark"; so even (attempted) Dark Humor seemed very apropos.
:D

"in Nature there are neither rewards nor punishments-
There are Consequences"
Ingersol.
Paracelsus
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Best thing about season finale?

Mad Men is back next week!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

I thought series 5 was very much a return to form (the following the train tracks in series 4 did become a little tedious at times!) as usual there were more questions than answers in the final episode but I just think that enhances the show and keeps you guessing and wanting more which I suppose is the whole point :lol:

Roll on Autumn for S6 :D
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Yes; it will be interesting to see the next Episode, and how long the writers can keep the public interested and the zombies intact and still a threat. I do enjoy the writing; and I like to see well done special effects; but the endless headshots does not interest me; in fact - I was VERY surprised when I saw the Thread, and then really watched a whole episode of the show, to see that this show WAS so popular; but it is all very well done; and may be the NEW STANDARD in this genre. Certainly the "classic" Film of "Cockneys vs Zombies" is not quite the pinnacle of this type. :D
Paracelsus
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Season 6 back next week :D
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

just done 2nd ep of season 6.

wow.

after the first 5 mins i was like, damnit they've totally shit the bed & dropped the zombie horde for some character driven crap, & that horn blowing will probably just be some weak angsty emo teen bullshit.

then carol looks out her window & sees some guy hacking a woman to death. then some guy gets set alight by a petrol bomb & it's like, fuck me, i guess i better start watching this properly!

(of course the woman wouldn't have been smoking outside had carol not bitched her out a couple of mins earlier).

& it looked brilliant. last week look nasty as hell w/the cgi of the zombies in the quarry. this week was gorgeous - the gore, the hacking - it was as good as this show has maybe ever been.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

To say season 6 has hit the ground running would be a massive understatement :!: Grips you like a vice and visually stunning.

Carol is badass :D

I have stuck with this show right from the off and it has dipped in places but overall IMHO it's up there with the best :D
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

holy fucking shit

mind = blown.

& actually i fastfowarded thru a bit of episode 3 - there was a bit too much talking & developing characters who were just fodder.
but the rest of it? fucking hell. wow.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

haven't watched any of season 6 yet (usually save up a few episodes before getting stuck in)

but has anyone watched any of the spin off series yet? 'Fear The Walking Dead'
my first thought is 'what's the point'? unless it's going to add anything new it's just going to tread over the same ground.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

By the end of this week's episode i was livid... not with the show or the acting or any of that... just livid with how it all panned out over the course of the episode. The "liabilities" are really starting to grate on my bloody nerves... and its doing nothing for my blood pressure neither!

And not afraid to shake things up a little either!

As for the "Fear The Walking Dead", I found it started really slow and focused a lot more on character development, but it slowly started to develop into something a bit more substantial as it went on. The final episode won me over. I think the writers had said that it wasn't going to be just the same as TWD as it would just be covering the same old ground so it will be interesting to see where they take it.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

He's not dead tho. Which is really disappointing. Kinda ruined the episode for me. Cheap trick. Shark jumping stuff..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

It's bloody relentless, brilliant stuff :D
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

angelsighs wrote:haven't watched any of season 6 yet (usually save up a few episodes before getting stuck in)

but has anyone watched any of the spin off series yet? 'Fear The Walking Dead'
my first thought is 'what's the point'? unless it's going to add anything new it's just going to tread over the same ground.
I watched it; and it seemed to be necessary for the Franchise; not meaning to be unkind, but I did not watch TWD until relatively recently - and watching some earlier episodes from several years ago, it was clear that the players had visibly aged more than the majority of the "zombies". I always thought the biophysical limit to the infectious "walking dead", decaying in summer AND winter was a problem for the show; even with my "suspension of disbelief", rotting tissue lasts only so long, and it appeared that the writers and effects people had made a point to make the "walking dead" visibly increasingly ripe; so the NEW show, is a "necessary" flashback, for all that had been learned and developed visually and otherwise could be put into "FearTWD", OR have a story which was simply unsustainable.

I enjoy good Science Fiction, and the quality of writing and of visual effects of TWD is very good; after the endless sea of "Post Apocalyptic Zombie Films" that fills the Films & Television, this show is easily the overall best of its genre; but I don't think I will likely invest the time into a "flashback" show unless it is just so fantastic beyond my imagination, I cannot keep from it, something I doubt will be the case, as good as these shows are. TWD had a very good run; and although I have not seen every episode, I do recognize the quality of work; I did wonder a few times on the weaponry though; it seemed odd to place a WW2 Czech ZB machine gun muzzlebrake on a common model shotgun; but I saw the same Cz muzzlebrake placed on a German M1896 Pistole in Star Wars; and that didn't make sense either, except for a shrinking budget; TWD has plenty of "walking around money".
Paracelsus
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Finally an episode that let me get my breath back, still riveting and a good insight into Morgan's back story.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Morgan's episode was last week if i recall, but this weeks was all about the character's discovering their fight... a little slow in places... still too many annoying Alexandrian's for my liking.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

The jumping back and forth between stories each week is surely just a ploy to keep the ratings high. As a storytelling device it just isn't working for me. The impact of the action-packed episodes is completely lost by the time they've stop-gap it with a really slow-paced flashback episode, and don't continue what happens in the 'tension' episode until two weeks later.

I don't mind the slow episodes (the Morgan and the guy in the cabin was a great episode), but the bumpy approach they've created this season seems crazy to me. By the time they return a cliffhanger, you have lost the initial thrill to find out what happened. A few weeks back, Rick was surrounded by a broken down camper van surrounded by walkers, and as the episode ended you wondered "what is he going to do to get out of that? Can't wait to find out next week" You wait a whole two weeks to find suddenly he's back at the camp gates without a scratch and seemingly without too much hassle getting there. It just seems a bit of a wasted opportunity to me. And it's evident that the major character we last saw heading for the walker dinner plate is still alive. No way they'd leave that situation unresolved for so long.

I like this show and keep watching, but I'm not crazy about some of the choices they make or the way they approach it. It just seems a bit clumsy and predictable at times. And I can't remember the last time they introduced a new character that I liked. The comic relief mullet man is gratingly irritating, and the priest adds nothing.

I don't read the books, but I've heard there's a new villain heading to the show. I think this might be the shot in the arm the show needs. Here's hoping they ramp it up this season.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Morgan's episode was absolutely brilliant, and then I thought last weeks was equally good. Best season so far for me, I'm ripping through the volumes i paperback as well (5-6 comics in one) They are different slightly but essentially the same, they end up in the same places, situations but they are obviously changes with what goes down and the characters it involves.
Just a bit hooked at the moment it has to be said
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I think that episode 9 is the last time I'll watch this show. I just cannot face another barrage of stupidity for 43mins. Terrible show. Great premise/setting/universe, but just a terrible show. Relentlessly & unapologetically idiotic. The kid getting eaten was the only good thing to come from that episode.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Here's an excerpt from one of your posts from October of last year:

holy fucking shit

mind = blown.

You criticized the show soon after for not killing off Glen, which I get, but now the show is "unapologetically idiotic". Did it really go downhill that quickly for you? I didn't think this recent episode was any worse than the majority of the first half of the season. In fact, it was probably better with (SPOILER ALERT), Sam and his mom getting eaten and Carl getting shot in the eye (yeah, definitely far-fetched that he lived, but it's a fucking zombie tv show). There were some seriously exciting moments.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Yea it really did.
That ^ episode was great, in part because it was so unexpected. But what followed was awful both in its predictability & in its stupidity. As such, everything since then has just been magnified in light of it. Glenn's miraculous survival is seemingly now an inadvertent running joke (until that is, it's not).

The series of inexplicable decisions & implausible action scenes in episode 9 was the first time the show had really sandwiched so many of those moments into one episode. The first half of this season had at least 3 positively memorable episodes - which was good going for this show. Episode 9 seemed to take inspiration from all the awful, exploitative writing they've gotten away with in the past & showed absolutely no restraint, or respect for the audience whatsoever. I guess it's been coming, it's just as I say, it's unusual for them to pack such a relentless series of stupid into a single 43min episode. Usually they spread the stupid out a little more. But to be bombarded with it all in such a short space was too much for me. Honestly nearly every scene was problematic in some way, some obviously moreso than others, but yea I think unapologetically idiotic sums it up nicely if I do say so myself!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I quite enjoyed this week's episode. I've kind of long forsaken the idea that the show is going to deliver every week or adhere to anything logical or balanced in its execution, season 5 being pretty indicative that the writers seem to be a little bit all over the place and sometimes get it very wrong.

As a piece of television though, this episode was really entertaining. I was kind of thinking to myself in the early moments 'why do I still watch this?.' But it totally picked up and became pretty eventful. That will do me. I can stick with this show so long as it gives us some rocket launchers and the idea that living in a zombie apocalypse is hellish and violent everyday. Less soul-searching and baking cookies, more action.

Quite interesting to think that Carol potentially caused the chain of events when she traumatised the little boy last season when she put all those grisly thoughts in his head. And I kind of agree with the Warmth that it might have been more shocking and impactful if Carl hadn't made it.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Well it's certainly dividing peoples opinion on here :!: I just love it, ep9 was another piece of 100mph can't get your breath television right from the opening sequence which I for one did not see coming! I will concede Glynn should have been dead at least twice over now but I'm happy to roll with it :D
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

gonna burn brightly
for a while
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the 'Glenn is actually alive' thing is lame as fuck. the equivalent of a cheap camera trick.

my opinion on this show hasn't changed. great entertainment but nothing deeper than that. I am not sure how much steam it's got left in it. only so many times the same tropes can be recycled. pretty impressive it's got to 6 seasons really.

the battle in Alexandria against the mass of walkers was pretty intense.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Getting so dark, last episode when they went into the other camp under cover of darkness :shock:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

This weeks episode really was quite dark... unsettling almost. I think people are really starting to crack under the strain of it all...
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Am loving the way the show is blurring the lines between who's good who's bad and who's right who's wrong. Another intense episode which initially built very slowly before unleashing itself :D
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

What a bloody cliff hanger :!:
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Very cheap, though. Surely it would've been more impactful to have shown who was killed off?
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Been a long wait but back on Monday :D
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

BVCP206 wrote:Been a long wait but back on Monday :D
Yeah, the recent trailers have done nothing to dampen my excitement for its return... and i'm still unsure who may have been Neegan's first victim!
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Yeah the face to face with Rick and Neegan along with blood soaked 'Lucille' just cranks it up even more :D
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Worth the wait is an understatement :!: Superb opener, won't spoil it but it hits the mark and then some, has to be one of the best episodes ever :D I am still reeling :shock:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Hmmmm. A little underwhelmed.

After the whole cliffhanger at the end of the last series, i (and everyone else) knew something was going to happen. Last night's episode seemed to rely too much on the OTT violence for my liking. Titilation through extreme violence and gore is not the reason i watch the show so i didn't need to see things as graphic as they were. Don't get me wrong, i do not have an issue with gore, violence and blood... but i think they could have put across how crazy and sadistic Negan was without all that. My wife actually found it all very uncomfortable to watch. I don't think that was really necessary. Pandering to the blood-thirsty i think.

However, i do think that Rick has finally found his true nemesis in Negan. If the writers actually get their finger out, it could be very interesting to see how this pans out. My wife has watched the actor who plays Negan in a variety of other shows and she just cannot get her head around how BAD his character actually is... she is NOT happy! :lol: :lol:
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

He most definitely is the BADDEST baddie, the twistedness of what he asked Rick to do was unreal, hats off to writers.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Superb opener, a bit too harsh on the gore but I think we can safely say Negan is bad ass.
Pretty sure I heard Rick loses an arm in this season somewhere along the lines to get it up with the comics (he loses his arm fairly early on if I recall). We will also come across 'The Whisperers' possibly in the second half of the season and they are completely bat shit crazy,
The group are damaged badly now....pretty sure its gets far worse
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Really enjoying new series Jeffrey Dean Morgan is absolutely superb ,when he's on screen he owns it! Sure he will get his comeuppance at some point tho and I'm backing Daryl to be the man to do it!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I watched the first episode of the new season and haven't gone back to it. Is it worthwhile? I've been slowly losing interest over the past few seasons.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Its been fuckin torture since that first episode. Lots of "character" development and "revisiting". So bad that i watched this weeks episode while playing Tetris... i never even noticed it finishing.

The only character i'm interested in is Daryl... i sense he is playing them at their own game and he's gonna go buck wild at some point, but at this rate, its gonne be a long time coming!

Bored beyond belief right now...
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

It has been quite some time since I've watched this; I cannot help but wonder if they should quit before many more people do not notice the episode is over, or change things very quickly into a new storyline.

On the good side, the special effects of this zombie apocalypse genre have been improved, the editing has made the most horrific of acts appear real, and for Science Fiction, that is always a plus, even if the topic is so mercilessly bloody.

There also appears to be more 1 on 1 action than in the past, that is, the "walkers" have been dealt increasing blows with weapons other than by endless head-shots. More 1st Century like combat than in earlier episodes, with face to face elimination of the "walkers" by the cast, the choreography has also improved along with the effects.

So,
1). the techniques have improved,
2). a reality of appearance has improved,
3). but the storyline is getting stale - or already there I think, without a swift change.
Paracelsus
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I dint think this season has been dissapointing at all and its pretty much blow by blow in line with the comics. In fact a lot Neegan's lines are word for word, the only extra bits added that i can see are Carol living in solitude (long time dead in the comic) and the episode that took place in the exclusively female camp a few episodes ago. Other than that its remained faithful to the original version. Yes the pace slowed down after the first episode, but Personally I lose interest with the carnage scene after scene, so this season has been great for me. Be interested to see how they plan to attack the Saviours ( I don't know as I watch then read the comics) Gripping stuff as ever IMHO
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

I don't read the comics so don't know how true to them the TV show is but I have thoroughly enjoyed first half of the season and the last episode teed things up perfectly for second half. Not sure how many of you remember Dallas but it's got a 'who killed JR' feel to it as in 'who's gonna kill Neegan'. That character is so good at being bad :twisted. Now got to wait til Feb so concentrating on Westworld 2 episode in also very good :D
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

He is far nastier in the comic (Neegan) but he is still a bad ass on screen. Great character.

Just wait for the 'Whisperers', so I'm told
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

So much for watching a random episode that was not as up to date as I believed! To see the characters I had seen so often in a position of strength being absolutely subservient was at least enlightening! I have missed much more than I realized, no doubt about it.

I do not read the comics either, but to see "what I had missed" was enough for me to reassess my opinions. The "dead" are increasingly decayed, in certain scenes at least; the show still has the lock on the quality of this "zombie dead" genre; and whatever happens next IS PAST that change I had looked for long ago when I stopped watching, period.

In short, I was wrong in my "analysis", the info I had was too out of date! This newest "bad guy" is decidedly someone just asking to be eliminated when (he) least expects it. An interestingly very nasty, charismatic, but totally unlikeable character.
Paracelsus
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Back on 13th Feb here in UK :D
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Cranking up nicely for what is sure to be a blood bath finale!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Doubting very much that there will be a bloodbath at the end of this series. I can see them leaving the audience hanging on that at the end of the series. I have a hunch how the next three episodes are going to go to complete the current story path, and it doesn't get to any sort of confrontation, although i'm happy to be proven otherwise!

I've been really disappointed in this 2nd half of the series and i KNOW everyone says the story needs to develop, the characters need to do these things, etc, etc... but there has been hardly one decent zombie massacre in this whole back stretch. I know several people who threw in the towel after a recent "romantic" episode... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I'm still hooked, its bubbling under nicely, the Zombies are hardly an issue anymore, that suits me fine. Characters have developed, tensions still remain high. Really enjoying it
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Aquarian-Time wrote:I'm still hooked, its bubbling under nicely, the Zombies are hardly an issue anymore, that suits me fine. Characters have developed, tensions still remain high. Really enjoying it
Me too :D The zombies are almost incidental now :!: Morgan last week oh my word, pretty sure him and Carol are going to feature heavily in the coming episodes :D
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Cannot wait for Monday night, this series has been excellent and has teed up the finale brilliantly :D
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

WOW, did not dissappoint. No spoilers but suffice to say there were a few surprises and a great final 15 mins :shock: Roll on October :!:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Have to say, although i picked up on a few of the surprises, i rather enjoyed that and it sets it up nicely for a more action-filled next series...

:D
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Not long now :D
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Well that certainly lived up to the hype, just catching my breath. Great opener, production values second to none :D
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Yeah, take that windows... that'll teach 'em! Clearly not overly concerned about running short of ammunition :lol: :lol: :lol:
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Laz69 wrote:Yeah, take that windows... that'll teach 'em! Clearly not overly concerned about running short of ammunition :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aim Lower :roll:
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Jesus And Mary Chain - April Skies on WD :D