Lift To Experience

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spunder
Known user

Lift To Experience

Post by spunder »

https://www.facebook.com/joshtpearson/p ... =3&theater

?!

one of my fave gigs ever was watching these guys blow apart a working mens club in Leicester 15 odd years ago.

cannot believe this is happening.
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Lift To Experience

Post by angelsighs »

:shock: d
Cool!
Wonder if there will be a tour or if it's a one off
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

No no this is going to be rubbish, awful, embarrassing... they probably won't show up... in fact Mods please delete this thread before anyone else finds out about this gig
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

haha yes I agree Greeny ;)

say what you like about Guy Garvey but fair play to him for pulling this out of the bag.

apparently it is a one off (at this point), and there's a reissues of the album to come.

is it me or is the production on the album lacking slightly? hardly any bass, boxy drums etc. I just imagine how EVEN better it would be with better production.

I caught a semi reunion a little while back where Josh plugged in and he had the LTE drummer on the skins. it was intense.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

angelsighs wrote:haha yes I agree Greeny ;)

say what you like about Guy Garvey but fair play to him for pulling this out of the bag.

apparently it is a one off (at this point), and there's a reissues of the album to come.

is it me or is the production on the album lacking slightly? hardly any bass, boxy drums etc. I just imagine how EVEN better it would be with better production.

I caught a semi reunion a little while back where Josh plugged in and he had the LTE drummer on the skins. it was intense.
Yes the albums production is a tad weak.... The music should've been well in the red :-)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Easily one of my top 10 albums every. Have caught Josh solo a couple of times but never ever saw LTE live although the various bootlegs i have would suggest it was a maelstrom of noise they created!

Gutted i'll not be able to get down to London for this (off on holiday a few days after) but glad to hear the album is getting a reissue (originals go for silly money on vinyl) and pray Pray PRAY that a tour is forthcoming!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

LTE live at Dingwalls occupies hallowed ground among the top two or three shows of my entire 500+ gig-going career.

It is not possible to convey the astonishing wall of noise Josh managed to achieve with just one guitar; noise we saw conjured from the very front row, literally in touching distance of him.

Short of getting his hero Mark Hollis out of retirement Guy Garvey has pulled off the single greatest feat of musical regeneration it's possible to imagine...
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Does anyone have any bootlegs of their live shows? Apparently there are a few floating about but i'm struggling to find any online.

I already have some: a Glasgow show (King Tuts), a Paris show (Black Session), 2 Peel sessions and a session at Sun Studios for BBC NI. If any one has any others, i'd be intersted in hearing them.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

There's some stuff on youtube, including video of full gigs. could do some ripping of the audio..
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Caught them at some festival playing an afternoon set in a tent. I know I enjoyed it but that is all I remember. Not due to overindulgence just the fog of time....
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

In! And front row too!

God I'm excited...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

well done Greeny. thought about trying for a ticket but can't really afford the London trek/hotel etc.

I would rather see them in a small sweaty club too. here's hoping for a tour to follow.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

seems like they are not so much remastering the album as remixing it from the ground up..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhKDw7-8nPo
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Wowzers - that made the hairs dance on the back of my neck!!

Just can't wait for Friday week, although I am astonished to see some tickets still available. At the back end of the stalls and top of the circle, mind, but still...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

to be fair they are a cult band at best, and it's not a tiny venue. really wish I could make it.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f5ogd2vzqfk4 ... D5UXa?dl=0

As requested, some live & radio sessions from Lift To Experience

Live 2001-06-19 Black Session
Live 2001-08-29 John Peel Session
Live 2001-11-11 L'Olympic, Nantes
Live 2002-05-04 Sun Studios, Dublin
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

http://www.dallasobserver.com/music/jos ... ce-8352774

Another interview with Josh T Pearson. Sounds like this is some sort of closure thing rather than a resurrection of LTE... :(
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Jebus Sabes wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f5ogd2vzqfk4 ... D5UXa?dl=0

As requested, some live & radio sessions from Lift To Experience

Live 2001-06-19 Black Session
Live 2001-08-29 John Peel Session
Live 2001-11-11 L'Olympic, Nantes
Live 2002-05-04 Sun Studios, Dublin
Oh wow... You star. Thankyou.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

interview with the band here
http://thequietus.com/articles/21298-li ... -interview

apparently the reason the album sounds a little naff, is that they only had enough money to record it, not to actually mix it properly!
Spencer
Known user

Post by Spencer »

Cannot wait to hear the album as it should've sounded... More like the live holocaust they induced by the sounds of it . All good!!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

One of my top 10 albums of all time! I love the original album and would never have thought about the mix if they hadn't said they were redoing it since i've become so accustomed to how it sounds from repeated listening. :lol:

I have VERY high hopes for this, although i'm not sure they really need to bling up the cover like they have planned :?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the reissue is up for preorder. they really have blinged up the sleeve even more than before :)

but grr.. you can only get the EP and Peel Sessions with the deluxe vinyl box!

http://mute.com/mute/the-texas-jerusalem-crossroads
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the new mix of Falling From Cloud 9 is on the free CD with this month's Uncut. quite apt as it's possibly my favourite song of theirs. it doesn't sound hugely different but it does sound much more muscular and punchy.. but clearer at the same time.

really looking forward to this. still a bit gutted that the extra tracks are only on the super duper vinyl boxset, but y'know if anyone gets a download code or whatever...
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

I considered the boxset too, but it's over twice the price of the 2x LP. And I'm sure I've already got MP3s of the Peel Session and EP somewhere.
Now if only they could do a few more gigs...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah the big boxset does seem a bit steep. I'm no expert on how much these things usually cost but it seems a big jump from the normal double vinyl. hasn't even got a tacky badge, coaster or T shirt!

the impression I've got is that there probably won't be more gigs. you never know though..
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

The new mix really makes it sound even more bonkers doesn't it? :lol:
I say that in a good way obviously.
I didn't expect it to sound so different - it's definitely a lot clearer and punchier.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

anyone got their mitts on the new version of this? thoughts?
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

angelsighs wrote:anyone got their mitts on the new version of this? thoughts?
If you've still only heard the new Falling From Cloud Nine - that's probably the closest to the original. The new mix makes the original sound quite muddy in comparison. A few of the changes don't always work for me ("When We Shall Touch" - the vocals are very much brought to the fore, but he speaks so fast it sounds like gibberish anyway.) but overall they are for the better. There's more nuance and definition - it feels like a lot more going on really.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Cheers for the info Flo. I've heard similar things from other people- some tracks are improved while some changes split opinion. I guess I've got the old mix already (and I think you get a download of both anyway?) so I'll get it and make my own mind up

I guess the problem is, for better or for worse we've all got attached to the old mix as it was.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

angelsighs wrote:I guess the problem is, for better or for worse we've all got attached to the old mix as it was.
This is exactly what i am worried about. The original album has become so ingrained in my psyche that the thought of it being ruined by over-production/remastering terrifies me. This is one of my all-time top 10 albums and i can't have that destroyed! :lol: Still not convinced the bling-ed up cover was necessaary either... i feel it cheapens it somehow... but thats just my opinion - the original cover was fine just the way it was.

Not heard it yet but will be buying it this week. I've never had it on vinyl, but the original CD is sitting there as backup if i need it!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I really dislike the new cover as well, and the box set is a bit pricey, but I reckon I'll go for it to support the artists as much as anything.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

its not like the cover wasn't 'bling' in the first place :)

it's pretty garish but I like how it's a kind of pastiche of those awful 90s rap sleeves.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I'd just like to say that this album is one of my all-time top 10 albums. I've know it inside and out and outside and in.

New version arrived on Friday and it sounds... INCREDIBLE. I was worried it would be wasted, but its soooo not. Its like listening in 3D in places and just sounds so much more dynamic. The drums are not buried in the mix any more but its still captures all that i fell in love with first time round.

Wonderfully, wonderfully done!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Also, just as i remember, they are playing two shows at SXSW this year. Might wanna be swift if you're heading to that...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

they are doing an Edinburgh date just before Green Man.

and there's a new EP coming out with few different versions of 'Falling From Cloud 9'

http://thequietus.com/articles/22316-ne ... ence-video
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I'm toying with the Edinburgh show, but (1) its a pain in the ass travel-wise and (2) its a Thursday night too and (3) i hate shows in Edinburgh... not ideal conditions to be honest but it is Lift To Experience and i doubt they'll be back any time soon, so looks like i need to at least TRY and make it work...
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

There will surely be more shows added once they can get them arranged, won't there? It cannot be worth them lugging everything over from the States just for the two already announced... Mind you, it is fairly typical of Josh's haphazard approach to life and music!!

Finally got the new version of TJC and gave it a proper listen the other day. I agree with Laz, it is a stunning improvement on the original. I absolutely love it.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just those two shows they do. they seem to work with their own strange logic!

I guess we should try and take advantage of a chance to see them while we can. I'd almost consider making my way up to Edinburgh myself.

I still haven't got the new TJCR yet actually. it's going to be a bit strange having two versions of the same album with different mixes. plus still torn as whether to perhaps splash out on the deluxe boxset, but it's damn expensive.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I got the box set, and it is a very nice thing indeed. Probably not 50 quid nice but fuck it, I've spent more on less in my life...