T H E K L F

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

simonkeeping
Known user

T H E K L F

Post by simonkeeping »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1snD2zm1pBQ

This intriguing new film has popped up on youtube prompting speculation that they are reforming.

I have always had a soft spot for The KLF. Regardless of what you think of the music Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty understand how the greatest of all art forms - rock and roll - works. Mystery, dressing like a cult, symbolism, random violence, over reaching in your ambitious ideas and sometimes failing - massively, making ridiculous rash decisions and subverting normality - taking something as simple and naive as the pop single and distorting all the reference points so it becomes this weird cultural oddity.

Most comebacks now are a press conference Q and A - during which the band will say how well they get on with each other now and its not for the money, we're actually really good mates etc etc and the KLF do this - 45 minutes of blurry, bootlegged video footage of them walking up mountains in cloaks, a good deal of the clips featured breach all manner of copyright laws too. Regardless of what happens next its an exciting prospect to have them around again.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
mkb
Known user

Re: T H E K L F

Post by mkb »

http://k2planthireltd.com

The new work is being made public on 23rd August 2017, 23 years to the day since they (as the K Foundation)burned £1million cash on the Isle of Jura.

I love the KLF, and have followed Bill Drummond's activities over the last few years (I'm less familiar with Cauty's work) - he's always seemed like a guy full of interesting ideas. Looking forward to seeing how this pans out.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Actually, I've just looked out my book about the K Foundation burning the million pounds, because I remembered that they'd signed a contract agreeing to terminate the K Foundation for a period of 23 years, during which they wouldn't discuss that act.

While the timing of this "comeback" obviously isn't coincidental, it seems it won't be anything to do with that - the 23 years runs from the date of signature of that contract (5th November 1995), so the events in August this year may kick off a year of activity building up to the reactivation of the K Foundation in November 2018.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

This has sent me down a KLF youtube worm hole - a K hole! But a good one. I expect i'll start on the books again soon.
Seems to be a few clips up there which i haven't seen on previous excursions into the world of the KLF.

Like many here i had little interest in the KLF at the time but as the years rust by Drummond has fascinated me.

I'm looking forward to 23rd August 2017.
And November 2018.

I love the opening posts point about the video serving as a press conference / Q&A type thing. Thanks for that!

This whole thing also reminded me that Jura is a place i would like to visit.
I got close a few years ago on during a Sea Safari excursion into the Corryvreckan whirlpool. (http://www.whirlpool-scotland.co.uk/).

The boat approached the coast so that we could get about 20 meters away from shore to see some feral goats on the island. It was at that point - looking at these ragged animals who i feel sure must have been a disney inspiration for representations of pirates that i remembered Jura as the location for the million pound burning. I had been aware earlier that we were close to where George Orwell wrote 1984 but the KLF connection had been forgotten. It was a moment I'll always remember because of the way that KLF have operated - maverick, outsider - wild. I always think of those goats whenever Bill Drummond is mentioned.
Last edited by plastic37 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heavy Tourism
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

I found The Library of Mu by following up a wikipedia link ...

i may be gone some time.

It looks as though this is a labour of love collecting masses of KLF related cuttings.
http://www.libraryofmu.net/display-resource.php?id=384

21st May 1994
The Guardian

Despite extensive coverage of the event, there was precious little critical analysis. Not even the quality press deemed this astonishing series of events worthy of more than a dismissive "so-what?" Does that not amount to dereliction of duty? After all, whatever you think about the K Foundation, or pop music, or would-be art megastars, these people have just squandered u250,000 on making a point about the nature of art. Yet no one thought it worthy of serious debate. Maybe the majority of art critics realised the dangers implicit in even beginning to confront their extraordinary gesture on its own terms? That by acknowledging it, they would undermine their own cultural authority? After all, if you accept that the K Foundation did manage to expose the utter hypocrisy and cant surrounding the Turner, where does that leave the various critics who have taken it seriously, year after year? Is it any wonder they shrugged it off as a half-baked situationist prank by a pair of bored ex-pop stars? The Late Show for example, ignored the K Foundation award completely and screened a debate on the validity of House. Rachel Whiteread's plastercast artwork, built on East End waste ground: in effect, conforming to the cultural agenda determined by the Tate, Channel 4 and the art establishment.
Heavy Tourism
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

...and another thing.

That guy who burned all the punk stuff back in November really should have taken note of the K Foundation method.
Heavy Tourism
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

That library of mu link is really interesting, thanks.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Going to see what my financial situation is like, but I think I'll have to try and get a ticket. This isn't the type of event that comes along very often.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Would love to hit it myself but there is zero chance of that happening.
Other than 'Chill Out' i've never really been a fan of their music but the pranks, scams and schemes have always provided plenty of entertainment.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Got a ticket. Now I need to book transport and accommodation in Liverpool next month.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Deleted
On transmission
Last edited by plastic37 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heavy Tourism
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

I shall be on Matthew Street at 12 on that day. I will have a 12 string semi acoustic, my own pa and a story to tell.
Heavy Tourism
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Additional info re fringe activity on the evening of 23.08.2017 now in gig dates section.
Heavy Tourism