NEW RIDE

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

MODLAB
Site Admin

NEW RIDE

Post by MODLAB »

I know it will probably not hit many here.

It's growing on me after a couple of listens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5gBOlO ... e=youtu.be
Design.
spacemanrich
Known user

Re: NEW RIDE

Post by spacemanrich »

Thanks for sharing that Modlab. I like the song. I need a few more listens to really appreciate it, though.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

spacemanrich wrote:Thanks for sharing that Modlab. I like the song. I need a few more listens to really appreciate it, though.
Very welcome, spacemanrich! I have to say I like it more and more... looking forward to the album now.
Design.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Listening to it now for the 3rd time and I`m quite relieved that it seems really good, way better than I expected tbh :) The guitar part`s quality.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The instrumental bridge section is great. I hope they have some material on the album that's heavier than this, but I dig it.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

TheWarmth wrote:The instrumental bridge section is great. I hope they have some material on the album that's heavier than this, but I dig it.
When i was listening to it last night, thts the only thing i was waiting for... a real heavy effects freakout. I thought they could have dropped that into this track and it would have just been the icing on the cake, but i agree, its better than those songs that were floating about at the end of last year.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sad to say it's doing nothing for me. there are certain elements I like (the spiralling guitar in the verses, the middle section) but on the whole it's a little cheesy (especially the chorus)

the drums don't sound like Loz at all!!.. I guess a straight ahead rocker does't really give him a chance to show off his awesome drum fills.

fair enough for them for trying something a little new at least. I am sure the whole album won't sound like this.

it's really tricky for a band to come back after decades and live up to the expectations of new material. I cast my mind back to similar sinking feelings when I first heard Love is Noise (which I've grown to rather like now, if not love) and All For One (which I still hate)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

This is the 2nd new one they played at Brighton last year. It's ok, sounds better when turned right up.
Dont love it, but like it
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

that ones a bit better but still nothing amazing. it sounds a bit like Mark Gardener's work with Robin Guthrie. dreamy guitars.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I`m liking both new tunes, nice of variation in both, nothing new in them really but you do want them still to sound like Ride, my pc is linked to an amp and some speakers and after cranking the sound up a bit I`m looking forward to the album,
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Both tunes are alright but need an injection of dirt to elevate them. At the moment they're far too clean sounding.

So far I think they might be bottom of the pile in comparison to the new Mary Chain and Slowdive songs. Still, looking forward to their Dublin gig in a few weeks.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah the new songs definitely need a bit more oomph. I've set my expectations fairly low on the new material front and think I'm gonna keep it that way. a pessimist is never disappointed!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The new songs are growing on me .. a little.

They are playing Manchester on July 11th
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I like them both. "Charm Assault" took two or three listens to grow on me, still think the drums need some reverb on them, but it's a good song, I found it going round my head the next day at work.

"Home is a Feeling" is much more like the classic sound, love that about it, but I think it's possibly the weaker of the two, despite giving me all the feels the first time I heard it.

Looking forward to hearing the new album, although not as much as the Slowdive one. I thought "Star Roving" was tremendous.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

"Home Is A Feeling" is tremendous. Love that track. "Charm Assault," a little less so. I think it could have been more aggressive, but I'm very much looking forward to this record. I hope they announce details soon (same goes for Slowdive).
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'd agree that the new Slowdive track is far superior. the production on that one is spot on. modern sounding but still with all the swirly guitars. whereas I think a big problem with the Ride ones comes from the production. very dry. and Loz doesn't sound like Loz!! sacriledge.

the Ride tunes have grown on me a *little* though.

they played another new track at the Irish gigs called 'All I Want'.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Live version of a new track called "Lannoy Point" doing the rounds on social media today is really good.

Think they've still got it, tbh, and am really looking forward to the album now.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

natty wrote:Live version of a new track called "Lannoy Point" doing the rounds on social media today is really good.

Think they've still got it, tbh, and am really looking forward to the album now.
agree that Lannoy Point is a cracker. best of the new tunes I've heard. got a nice sleek krautrock feel as they glide over that beat. I thought it was really cool how they walked on stage to an ambient loop, then start building the song over that.

watched their 6music festival set, as well as the Mary Chain- both were sounding on great form.

I was a bit blase about seeing Ride again as tbh I don't think they can top the Oxford and Manchester gigs. however now there's new tunes in the mix I'm keen to catch them again as it will be a different experience. can't make it to Manchester so I hope there's other dates later in the year.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

hmm another curates egg of a song. I like the rhythm track and the drums (good to hear Loz sound like Loz) but that intro is so cheesy. I listened to the song on youtube and when it started I thought it was an advert that was playing before the song started.

I hope Lannoy Point sounds good on record. it sounds like this could be an album where there are good songs but the production is doing them no favours at all.

oh and my wish for another gig near me has been answered. they are playing Oxford New Theatre which is great as I can just get the train. it's a seated gig which will be a bit strange though.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I like it... The intro sounded cheesy at first but I totally get it.

sighs — pre-release for a special London gig went onside this morning if you purchased the new album from their site.

M
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

MODLAB wrote:I like it... The intro sounded cheesy at first but I totally get it.

sighs — pre-release for a special London gig went onside this morning if you purchased the new album from their site.

M
yeah saw that... unfortunately can't make that London show. you've just reminded me I need to pre-order the album though. you get some signed prints with it, which presumably you only get when you order directly from them.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Not too sure about that one, listened about 6 times now and still a bit ... I see they`re supporting Mogwai at the Glasgow Hydro on 16th Dec, at £37 I thought it was a bit steep for Mogwai but add Ride as support and its looking better,
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote:Not too sure about that one, listened about 6 times now and still a bit ... I see they`re supporting Mogwai at the Glasgow Hydro on 16th Dec, at £37 I thought it was a bit steep for Mogwai but add Ride as support and its looking better,
that's a really good pairing isn't it? very good at that price.

not sure how Mogwai would come across in a big venue though tbh
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

angelsighs wrote:
niamhm wrote:Not too sure about that one, listened about 6 times now and still a bit ... I see they`re supporting Mogwai at the Glasgow Hydro on 16th Dec, at £37 I thought it was a bit steep for Mogwai but add Ride as support and its looking better,
that's a really good pairing isn't it? very good at that price.

not sure how Mogwai would come across in a big venue though tbh

I wen to see The Cure when and Mogwai opened up for them. They sounded quite grand if I remember correctly.

M
Design.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I`ve been thinking that myself, it`ll be the biggest gig they`ve done in Glasgow, it should be good as long as the volume is loud enough.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Mogwai should be announcing their new album soon. I know I won't be able to resist the expensive, super-ultimate-boner package they seem to offer with each new release.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Spectres have been announced as the support for the Oxford and Manchester shows. I know I was kinda damning them with faint praise in the gig thread. but quite happy with that. at least it's a band I know rather than some random locals.

The first reviews of the new album are also out and a little bit mixed. (8/10 in Uncut, 3 stars in Mojo)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

studio version of Lannoy Point is out and it's definitely the best of the new songs. in my opinion and all that.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Sighs — I agree with you. It's really good.
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

MODLAB wrote:Sighs — I agree with you. It's really good.
good man. are you going to any of the live shows they've got lined up?

I'm doing Oxford and Birmingham. I'm also thinking about going to the album signing they are doing in Oxford.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The new album is excellent. I wasn't psyched about Charm Assault or All I Want, but they fit on the album and I'm really into all of the songs that weren't previously released. Weather Diaries, Rocket Silver Symphony, Cali, White Sands - all really great Ride songs. I'm so glad they were able to put together a solid record. Hopefully, there is more to come.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

2nd listen and a proper one.

This is a great album. Really enjoying it. Agree with you Paul.

M
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Really glad to hear that. I've not had a chance to listen to it yet but these signed art prints look very nice!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

It's ok.
Did it leave me aghast at the sheer horrendousness of it all? No.
Did it excite me? No.
Will it grow on me? Probably.
Will I listen to it that much? Probably not.

Like initial listens to Damage and Joy and Slowdive, the production for Weather Diaries just seemed off. I'm guessing it's modern production techniques/values fucking with my ears.
To paraphrase the Trio chocolate bar ad, "No man, it's too clean man. It's too clean..."
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Been listening to it off and on all day, loving it tbh, the opening 4 songs already revealed in context of the album just sound superb, All I Want is the most Ride I think, the melodies are fantastic, and some real grunt to the bass throughout the album, I doubt it will sway any previous doubters but its had me buzzing listening to it all day, I don`t feel compelled to compare it to mbv or Damage and Joy, and I`ve no interest in listening to the Slowdive album, never liked them them doubt I will now.
Resounding success I think and a natural follow on to Going Blank Again, shame they don`t have a `Time Machine` to go back and wipe out/ change the misstep they made with Carnival Of Light.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I'm pretty unconvinced by the new record. I've only listened to it twice though so maybe it is a grower. My initial reaction was not improved upon by a second listen though...
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I really like it. Only one listen so far but it has a GBA feel to some of it and the Ride sound is definitely in evidence. Play Loud is my advice
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

first impressions- it's alright, think it might be a grower. I can hear the GBA comparisons but reckon it might sound more like Carnival of Light actually.

plus point is the variety (it's like they are covering a lot of pop-psych styles), to be totally honest I am one of those people who most wanted a return to the Nowhere style, but I'm sure that's the last thing on their minds.

I do think the songs sound like they could have been developed a bit more. seems a bit bitty and light sometimes.

I definitely have issues with the production. the drums don't sound like Loz at all.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Like it. A lot.

Shame they didn't make this 23 years ago instead of "Carnival of Light".

Anyone else think "Lateral Alice" owes quite a large nod to "Revolution", or maybe "Rocket USA"?

They've been doing "Revolution" live recently, apparently.
Last edited by natty on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Liking it more with each listen.

The title track is my favourite. The Neil Young-esque second half of it, with the big "Ride" sounding guitars towards the end, is gorgeous.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it's still just OK for me.

my favourite tracks are Lannoy Point, Home Is a Feeling and All I Want (aside from that horrible vocal sample). I'd agree with Natty that the title track is good too, the only place where some nice fuzzy guitar shows up.

I also really like Integration Tape even though it's only really an interlute.

I still think the songs could have been developed a bit more. just something to make them more interesting.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I have been reflecting lately on the fact that so many of my favorite bands from the 90s have reunited and actually released good to great albums: MBV, Swervedriver, Ride, Slowdive, Suede. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I was thinking the same thing. I startd to put togther a list of albums that I'd bought recently for the "last 5 albums" thread, and thought that I would have been buying albums by these bands 25 years ago. Ride, Slowdive, JAMC, St Etienne, BMX Bandits, and I've got the C88 compliation on order!

or yes, I bought the new Charlatans album this week too!

ste
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Sill not convinced by this. There are some very good tracks and then some bits that just don't work for me at all. I would tend to agree with Jon's comments about the production too; the way the drums sound is central to how Ride work in my opinion. Here the production seems to remove a lot of the power from the drumming. I'm still of the view that this could/should have been a killer four track e.p.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote: Sill not convinced by this. There are some very good tracks and then some bits that just don't work for me at all. I would tend to agree with Jon's comments about the production too; the way the drums sound is central to how Ride work in my opinion. Here the production seems to remove a lot of the power from the drumming.
yeah the production is definitely a sticking point for me with this album. It seems a bit glossy generally but the drum sound is the main problem.
with early Ride a lot of the space and size of their sound came from the drums.
olan wrote: I'm still of the view that this could/should have been a killer four track e.p.
I think you said the same thing about Slowdive? maybe they should have done a joint album with a side each :D
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

At least the Slowdive album isn't a 4-track ep masquerading as a double LP. The RIDE LP is incredibly short to require 4 sides of vinyl.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

hmm interesting. I'm no expert, but doesn't sound quality factor into it as well? so having it over two pieces of vinyl potentially gives you an advantage when mastering it?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:hmm interesting. I'm no expert, but doesn't sound quality factor into it as well? so having it over two pieces of vinyl potentially gives you an advantage when mastering it?
A bit, but there are some serious runout grooves on this. The two slabs of vinyl thing is really an argument for double LPs that play at 45 rpm though.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Been listening to Weather Diaries a lot. I think Charm Assault is the weakest track on the album. The production is odd, especially on the chorus where the guitars feel buried and murky. The one two punch of Lateral Alice and Cali is wonderful. Love those two songs. Rocket Silver Symphony and the title track are winners, too. Still very happy with this. I honestly didn't expect to like it so much.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Gathering from the reviews on this board, the album doesn't seem too pleasing ? Maybe, wait a bit before committing to something like this. Bit nolstalgic of Ride of yesteryear ...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spacemanrich wrote:Gathering from the reviews on this board, the album doesn't seem too pleasing ? Maybe, wait a bit before committing to something like this. Bit nolstalgic of Ride of yesteryear ...
I don't think that's fair to say. the album seems to be getting mixed reports with a fair amount of people enjoying it.
Does it do much for me? on the whole, not yet. but it's far from an embarrassment, if they made the album they wanted to make then that's cool.

I find it funny when bands have a new record out, but barely include any songs from it in their live set. doesn't show much excitement or confidence in their new stuff does it?
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Slowdive are playing 4 of a 9 (or is it 8) album set and Ride are playing 75% of the new album

I think both albums are good, Ride in particular (other than the production which is a tad polished for my ears) has produced an album that is a) Not Tarantula b) not Carnival of Light c) definately Ride and d) not a Nowhere re-hash

There are some really good moments on Weather Diaries and I for one am buzzing about seeing them next tuesday
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

just wanted to post some thoughts following the ecstatic review on the gigs thread by Aquarian Time. although the new album has not set my world alight (to be fair though I have been listening to it a fair amount) I really do think this reunion has been played really right. they've done the right thing by testing the waters with the comeback tour, then making a new album once the time was right. the gigs I've seen have largely been superb and euphoric.

they are playing a fair amount of the new album on the tour too. Rocket Silver Symphony was premiered in Manchester and Lateral Alice has also been aired.

it seems amazing to think back to me listening to Nowhere over and over back in the late 90s. it already seemed like I'd missed the boat and the band were a bit of an enigma, thought I'd never get to see them live. guess I just had to wait long enough :) now I've seen some incredible gigs and even met some members of the band. the enigma is gone but what a great experience.
the crowd chanting the string line from Vapour Trail will be one of the moments that will stick with me for a long time.

unlike most of the other music I was digging at that time (which shall remain nameless!) Nowhere and the best of the other stuff has been a constant for me over the years.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that reunions are not all bad, as long as you do it for the right reasons. I'm sure there's a subset of fans who aren't interested and think they were better back in the day. but that's always gonna happen.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

New song has just 'dropped' (as the kids say)

https://pitchfork.com/news/listen-to-ri ... ng-pulsar/

it's not bad, it's quite dreamy sounding but it doesn't really go anywhere in my opinion. I do like that they are ploughing on and making more new music though.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Very OX4 in parts. Like you say, not bad.
Would be greatly improved if they ditched Erol Alkan as producer though. His drum sound is shit and everything else is too shiny.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I like the melody and vibe of the track, but not keen on the vocals, just seem too ... errr ... treated, a real "artifical" sound about them. I guess it part of that too polished production.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah wayy too shiny, that's definitely the word.

I think they played it live last night, hopefully a live version will sound more raw and with more natural vocals

I agree, I hope they choose a different producer next time.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I'm off to see them in Liverpool at the end of next week. I'm still not too bothered by the new LP, but am looking forward to the show as Ride are usually excellent live. The fact that they are gigging and producing new material is something to celebrate.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Lover the album still , but do agree that the production is a bit 'nice', lacks edge and raw power, which is a shame as the band have that in abundance on stage. New song is a bit dull, but hey they are enjoying and have a new lease of life it would seem.
Looking forward to Liverpool, me and Gaz will be having much pre gig debate in dead craft bar Olan !
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I suppose I agree that the album is a little overproduced, BUT it still exceeded my expectations and there are a few tracks that I adore: the title track, Cali and Lateral Alice are my favorites. Honestly, there isn't any one song that I dislike. So, I'm very happy with the way the Ride reunion is playing out. It could have been a disaster.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'd agree that the reunion has played out very well all in all. The album is good but not amazing. But everything else has been played out perfectly. The live shows have often been stunning and they've been mixing up the setlists nicely (which can't be said of, say, Slowdive)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Woooooah they played Grasshopper in the encore last night !!!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Woooooah they played Grasshopper in the encore last night !!!
with Anton Newcombe no less!
excited to see what the setlists will be like for the UK dates this week.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

angelsighs wrote:I'd agree that the reunion has played out very well all in all. The album is good but not amazing. But everything else has been played out perfectly. The live shows have often been stunning and they've been mixing up the setlists nicely (which can't be said of, say, Slowdive)
I saw Slowdive last night and it was mind-blowing. Best show I've seen by them since the reunion. They played two songs from the new album that they didn't play last time (Everyone Knows and Don't Know Why). They also did a fantastic version of Dagger.