What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spaceman85
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by spaceman85 »

Beehatch_Brood
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Was:

It is very, very good on first listen. However, you are planning on buying a copy buy the black vinyl. The limited edition RSD pressing is terrible. :(

Now:

Top notch yet again.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I have picked up thew standard Black Angels rather than the RSD, just couldn't justify spending that extra for a glow in the dark type affair. Have Lanegan as well so both will get first outings tonight.
Bardo Pond also to follow these. A real heavyweight evening
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Blanck Mass - World Eater, a few real tear your face of moments, Rhesus Negative and The Rat in particular, this is a good thing. Still kicking myself about being asleep on the ticket front and missing his Scottish show last Friday.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:I have picked up thew standard Black Angels rather than the RSD, just couldn't justify spending that extra for a glow in the dark type affair. Have Lanegan as well so both will get first outings tonight.
Bardo Pond also to follow these. A real heavyweight evening
sounds like a good night in the man cave to me.

how is the 'listen to X amount of new albums this year' project going by the way?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

is wrote:Here Lies Man.

These are a band formed from some people who were in an Afrobeat type outfit called Antibalas (who I am also checking out), and the music they make sounds like a cross between Dungen, early Sabbath, Tropicalia and Afrobeat (I don't actually know much about Afrobeat, so can't comment)

It's psychedelic, no doubt about that. It has an agreeable mix of heaviness and levity.
I was a fan of Antibalas (particularly their second album Talkatif) and was lucky enough to see them play a near three hour set in a tiny venue many years ago.

This is a nice find, thanks. I had no idea of this new project. A cursory online listen suggests early Sun Araw meets Goat but I'm sure a proper listen to the album will reveal more.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Ah yes the 1000 albums to listen to target for 2017. I'm on 280 so far. It's tough but rewarding. Relentless listening.
Last ones were Neil Young Unplugged and Flying Saucer Attack-New lands
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Ah yes the 1000 albums to listen to target for 2017. I'm on 280 so far. It's tough but rewarding. Relentless listening.
Last ones were Neil Young Unplugged and Flying Saucer Attack-New lands
quick bit of maths makes it seem you're on track then. great stuff
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

A new tune from Black Grape - Everything You Know Is Wrong, Shaun and Kermit giving Trump a verbal shoeing on ridiculously funky comeback single, way better than any of the Ride/ Slowdive comeback tracks I might suggest? :lol:

https://www.vevo.com/watch/black-grape/ ... UV71700478
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

niamhm wrote:A new tune from Black Grape - Everything You Know Is Wrong, Shaun and Kermit giving Trump a verbal shoeing on ridiculously funky comeback single, way better than any of the Ride/ Slowdive comeback tracks I might suggest? :lol:

https://www.vevo.com/watch/black-grape/ ... UV71700478
You may suggest that and you would be correct. CHOOOOOON! :D
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

What a band they were in their early years. Garlands is a masterpiece, as are the majority of the tracks on this compilation.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Double vinyl reissue. Arrived today in the mail.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Been listening to these guys who I grew up with through my mum - 70 this yr and alzheimer`s is stealing her further away all the time- and apart from the nostalgia thing , take that away, the harmonies are just mind blowing , recommend to anybody.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The Everly`s stuff had me thinking about The La`s - my daughter was shouting through from her room `that sounds like them too!! It f#ckin` was them - It`s so obvious they are an influence rather than the predictable Liverpool/Beatles thing, Youtube tonight brought me to this version of Feeling ,for some radio session somewhere, it sounds rough, production wise, but its clear , loud, bouncing, an full off life, life affirming an all squeezed into 1.50. Ill never leave this place as a Spiritualized fan, at the same time Ill always be a Lee Mavers/La`s fan, genius comes in many different forms.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

niamhm wrote:Been listening to these guys who I grew up with through my mum - 70 this yr and alzheimer`s is stealing her further away all the time- and apart from the nostalgia thing , take that away, the harmonies are just mind blowing , recommend to anybody.
You should play her this music.
Music has a way of connecting with those that have alzheimers and dementia.
I am around folks like this all the time in my line of work.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

spzretent wrote:
niamhm wrote:Been listening to these guys who I grew up with through my mum - 70 this yr and alzheimer`s is stealing her further away all the time- and apart from the nostalgia thing , take that away, the harmonies are just mind blowing , recommend to anybody.
You should play her this music.
Music has a way of connecting with those that have alzheimers and dementia.
I am around folks like this all the time in my line of work.
We do Alan, we do, like you said it`s one of the only ways to make a connection with her now, she still loves her late 50`s/ early 60`s music.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I've been going through the last five albums you bought thread in an attempt to find new music to like. I'm currently listening to Maggot Brain by Funkadelic who I saw pop up from time to time in the thread. I've been sort of disgusted that the music I like is almost all white. I'll keep looking to expand and diversify my album/artist rotation that I'm currently listening to.

cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Midori Takada - ‘Through The Looking Glass’

If you like Brian Eno and Jon Hassell and minimalistic meditative soundscapes.

https://youtu.be/DWGjYg2LmZQ
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I'm listening to the Psychic Ills, One Track Mind now. I already listened to Inner Journey Out. Of course I discovered them here. There weren't any of their cds at the record shop, so I'm going to turn to Amazon.com.
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

Vast_Free
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

James - Come Home Live

The audio from the classic G-Mex show they released at the height of their popularity in the early 90s. I was a big fan at the time and watched the video numerous times, but i found it on Youtube and ripped the audio so i could listen to it offline. Bloody great listening back to it... before Tim Booth went off on one! :D

#flashbackmonday #guiltypleasures
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I've never heard this version.
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

new Sleepy Sun album is out. it's streaming here along with track by track guide from the band

https://www.self-titledmag.com/2017/06/ ... new-album/

impression on first listen- bit poppy, nowhere near as good as Maui Tears
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Ala.Ni - You & I

Beautiful voice. My only gripe is that the album is just 29 minutes long!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Design.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I've been listening to the new BMX Bandits album quite a bit over the last few weeks. It's great! Not so sure about the cover of Sometimes though! However this song - the Way of the Wolf is brill. If TotP was still on, then I'd love to see them perform this.

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

UNKLE- Where Did The Night Fall

got a deluxe version of this with a whole disc of extra tracks. the list of special guests is mighty impressive- Sleepy Sun, Black Angels, Autolux, Mark Lanegan, Nick Cave amongst others. however I can't help but think that UNKLE make great sounding records with superb production and that, but there's not really any tunes to hold on to. all those special guests and nothing really special comes out of it. this record is okay. it actually has more of a psych rock feel rather than electronic.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Roger Waters - Is This The Life We Really Want , never heard any of his previous solo stuff but been listening to this for a bit last week, sounds wonderful on the headphones, the keyboards and strings especially, must have some to do with the Nigel Godrich production, lots of Floyd touches, voice announcements, clocks, pretty good actually :shock:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

stegraham wrote:I've been listening to the new BMX Bandits album quite a bit over the last few weeks. It's great! Not so sure about the cover of Sometimes though! However this song - the Way of the Wolf is brill. If TotP was still on, then I'd love to see them perform this.

One of my all time favourite bands. With them coming from my hometown, i've been on top of their music for decades now and Duglas is just a pleasure to bump into for a blether! Still not convinced Chloe is the female vocalist he needs (always preferred Rachel's vocals) but i love them soo much! Great album. :D
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

Seagull - 100001
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

any Dream Syndicate fans here? they are releasing their first album in many years. I was not waiting with baited breath for new material but I'll be darned if this isn't really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv2nK0X8pCM

fair play for coming back with an 11 minute guitar groove

they are also funding the new album with all sorts of crazy rewards (gigs in your house, that kind of thing)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Was sent a link to this track which i found rather interesting. Bardo Pond sampled with some rapping/narration over the top.

I'm not usually one for this kind of thing, but i found the use of Bardo Pond rather interesting and i think it works really rather well... grimy?
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Public Service Broadcasting - Every Valley

A wonderful record brilliant concept from start to finish about the trials of the welsh mining villages and everything they went through when the pits closed. Breath taking IMHO :D
'Remember, change is not good'
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The new Ty Segall - Fried Shallots, surprise release of a new ep/mini album, all proceeds donated to the American Union Of Civil Liberties 5 new tracks with a pretty high strike rate to my ears on initial listening,

MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Design.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Ghostpoet - Dark Days and Canapes

Not my usual thing but am loving it getting right in my head :D
'Remember, change is not good'
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ireland's premier festival band and about to embark on their first UK tour. If any of you out there still like to head out for a dance and the craic go see King Kong Company, you will not be disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwAmAweO8eE
Saw them play this two weeks ago and they dropped a cover of MIA's Paper Planes into the middle of it :D

More reggae influence on this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22gdJMZ_zdg
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

new Godspeed album is streaming- a big 'meh' from me on first listen. and I loved the last two albums.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

while in Liverpool I bought the Kurt Vile/Steve Gunn collaboration LP on Three Lobed Records. for some reasons there's 3 download codes included so if anybody wants a digital copy, PM me!
I think the completist in me needs the other Three Lobed collaborations now :)
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Hammock - Mysterium

Beautiful Music
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Just got the new Wand album - Plum. Apparently they've explanded from a 3 piece to a 5 piece. I reallly like their first three albums, so just bought this straight away before listenign to any of the tracks online. Not sure... only listened a couple of times, but I must admit it's a little disappointing! Gone are the big riffs, and it all just sounds a bit dull now. It might be a grower, you never know. Maybe I should have guessed from the pretenous press release:

".... now seedling songs were harvested from a growing cloudbank of archived material, then fleshed out and negotiated collectively as the band shifted rhythmically between the permissive space of jamming and the obsessive space of critique. This new process demanded more honest communication, more vulnerability, better boundaries, more mercy and persistence during a year that meanwhile delivered a heaping serving of romantic, familial and political heartbreak for everyone involved. They learned more about their instruments and their perceived limitations.""

Bollox!

Ste
KappaTI
Known user

Post by KappaTI »

Went and saw King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard the other night, though I was really there for the opening band Tropical Fuck Storm. Terrible band name aside, they're a new group formed out of the ashes of The Drones, an incredible Australian band that never received the attention they deserved. So, I've been on a kick of their music the past few nights, which has led me to Gareth Liddiard's solo album "Strange Tourist". Just him and an acoustic guitar weaving these really incredible story songs. Once you get used to the accent, it can be pretty moving stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob3M9xe5AHQ

To add to this, if any of you have never listened to the album "I See Seaweed" by the Drones, please give it a shot. It's emotionally exhausting, draining, resigned and cathartic, and has become extremely prescient in the wake of certain elections (you know the ones). It's less angry than just disappointed, with one of the final lines being "we're animals / we can't help doing what all animals do". That final song brings me to tears damn near every time. I'd put that album up there with LGM. A real modern masterpiece.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Prettiest Eyes, an LA based band now signed up with Castle Face records. Only came across them last night and can't stop playing these two tracks which are going to be on the album Pools which hits early Nov:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQGa5Dzmu5I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q3PNG6OmPo
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Review copy of Helicon's debut album. Friends of mine, i've been waiting for this to hit. Just about to be released on Fuzzclub. Really happy for them, nice to see them get some exposure and hope Fuzzclub give them that. I've heard most of the songs live over the past few years, but really good to hear them all well produced (by Tony "Castle Of Doom" Doogan too) and as a proper album. Chuffed to bits for them. Here is one of the tracks from the album...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=speAerD6Ouo
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Enjoying stuff on youtube by a band called The Ganjas:

CDs seem expensive on Discogs! Shame!

Ste
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

One of the all-time greatest Spz live songs... think this may be the Hope For Palestine show (?)... never seen Jason go for it quite as much as this!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Listening to Drone Jams by Space Spectrum.. on a little record label called Drone Rock Records.. I think this label might be going places you know! 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

New Hookworms with accompanying tour dates.
I used to be rather keen on this band, but for some reason I'm really not bothered about them anymore. is it just me?

http://www.getintothis.co.uk/2017/11/ho ... new-album/
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote:New Hookworms with accompanying tour dates.
I used to be rather keen on this band, but for some reason I'm really not bothered about them anymore. is it just me?

http://www.getintothis.co.uk/2017/11/ho ... new-album/
What a surprise, an 80s electronic influenced direction. Fuck sake, just like savoury desserts, this shit has been done to death. Move on.
Sounds like a shit LCD Soundsystem or the latest Arcade Fire stuff. It'll probably be MASSIVE :?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I've not listened to it yet... and your description is not making me any more keen to :?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

A bit behind with this album but right this minute the Wand album Plum, hmm?? Not saying I dislike it but its a bit different, still clearly them but less heavy than before, actually it is still heavy in parts and the melodies are still very strong, think its a grower.

I like that Hookworms new one as well, production is superb, be interesting to hear the rest of the album
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmq4SsrGtu4

The Stooges – Highlights From The Funhouse Sessions (2017)

01 – Studio Dialogue (#23)
02 – Down On The Street (Take 6)
03 – Loose (Take 16)
04 – T.V. Eye (Take 5)
05 – Dirt (Take 5)
06 – Studio Dialogue (#3)
07 – 1970 (Take 3)
08 – Fun House (Take 3)
09 – Studio Dialogue (#7)
10 – See That Cat (T.V. Eye)
11 – 1970 (Take 2)
12 – Lost In The Future (Take 3)
13 – Slide (Slidin’ The Blues) [Take 1]
14 – Freak (Take 1)

http://runoutgroovevinyl.com/archive/hi ... sions.html
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Come Down Easy from 2012 in Taiwan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BM8RqF3h3w

M
Design.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Headroom. For lovers of lo-fi and loose psych jams.

https://headroomnhv.bandcamp.com/album/ ... the-clouds
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

FM Spaceman wrote:Image
"No good?"

:lol:
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

New deranged noise from PRETTIEST EYES, out on Castle Face, from LA via Puerto Rico. They've been given me a massive buzz the past couple of months since picking up on their sound via some cool words from John Dwyer of Thee Oh Sees.

https://prettiesteyes.bandcamp.com/album/pools

"........they are captivating, they are odd, they make strange and interesting choices…futuristic and yet drawn from the same sonic sludge that all mankind derives from
they live and breathe early Los Angeles punk vibes while still innovating at every turn
there is electricity in this sound
they simply rule and what a pleasure to hear the album doesn’t stray far from what makes them just melt it in person
recorded perfectly to harness the animal on a nice inanimate slab of plastic you can take home
for fans of Screamers, Suicide, Chrome, and yes, a hint of a down unda Birthday Party” - John Dwyer
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

FM Spaceman wrote:Image

This One's For You "Pat Mustard" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3gx7CSXEzo

xx xx ...
"I forgot me feckin trousers..." :lol:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Not sure if I've mentioned it before but I've really got into Keiji Haino recently, more specifically the series of records he has released as a trio with Jim O'Rourke and Oren Arambachi. They play at a Japanese festival every year, simply improv their asses off and record it.

It's a glorious mixture of free jazz, avant noise and drone and recorded beautifully. A new one came out at the end of last year, but the first one I'd recommend is this one

https://www.discogs.com/Keiji-Haino-Jim ... ter/416625
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

There's a new Six Organs of Admittance record coming out.. kind of. It's the third in his Hexadic series- this time it's other artists that are using the system to write new songs.

Including Moon Duo, two of Heron Oblivion and Stephen O'Malley from Sunn amongst others.

https://sixorgansofadmittance.bandcamp. ... exadic-iii
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mythic Sunship - 'Upheaval'.

Instrumental psych jams in the vein of Eternal Tapestry, Carlton Melton, Zone Six, Earthless etc.

On the El Paraiso label which is home to Causa Sui and Papir. You get the idea.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Just finally taken receipt of the new Luna album and EP. So will enjoy listening to that after lunch.

I'd been a bit tardy about going down to pay the import duty, and they had it all packed up ready to be returned to sender!
Got there just in time!
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Just doing a bit of air guitar to Earthless's new track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAMCQt_ ... e=youtu.be

More of a song then the usual jams, but great solos!

Ste
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Streaming a cool DJ's set on Mixcloud

FuFu Radio by The Soul Chef

https://www.mixcloud.com/fufustew/fufu- ... uary-2018/
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »