The Spiritualized Film Club

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Laz69
Known user

Re: The Spiritualized Film Club

Post by Laz69 »

I saw Sherlock last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. I enjoyed the first one too, so assumed it was going to be much more of the same. OTT, but humorous and fun as you say. Nice ending too.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:Took the kids to see the new Sherlock Holmes flick and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Quite stylish, very OTT but lots of fun and laughs.
Agreed on both counts. I too took my kids to see both films and we thoroughly enjoyed them. Although, I think my kids struggled a bit following the plots but they still liked them.

What I enjoyed a lot about the latest one is how Guy Ritchie focused attention on the relationship between Sherlock and Watson. I also really like Downey Jr's characterization of Holmes.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Rango - quite gritty for animation. Depp on fine form and even an animated cameo from Hunter Thompson. Lovely stuff.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

PopeJez wrote:Rango - quite gritty for animation. Depp on fine form and even an animated cameo from Hunter Thompson. Lovely stuff.
How hilarious — I just watched this yesterday. Great animated film.

Recommended!

M
Design.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

PopeJez wrote:Rango - quite gritty for animation. Depp on fine form and even an animated cameo from Hunter Thompson. Lovely stuff.
really? i was bored when i watched it. i really really really wanted to like it but i finished it and gave it away the next day. was very disapointed
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Anyone know or ever seen the movie Spindrift were involved in. still to investigate further but it sounds like the film was based on the album or was used for the movie...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

just watched season two of the OC. utter shit but adictive. it made me feel good about how my life is comparatively :wink:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Laz69 wrote:Anyone know or ever seen the movie Spindrift were involved in. still to investigate further but it sounds like the film was based on the album or was used for the movie...
It's fun...but in terms of artistic merit it isn't anything to go out of your way seeing. Imagine having a bunch of your mates, some of who may be actors some who are not, but all of you are high as a kite and you go out and film a campy western movie for the hell of it. Sounds like great fun. But, to the rest of us who were not privy to their party in the desert it gets a bit lost in translation.

Stick with the album.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

redcloud wrote:
Laz69 wrote:Anyone know or ever seen the movie Spindrift were involved in. still to investigate further but it sounds like the film was based on the album or was used for the movie...
It's fun...but in terms of artistic merit it isn't anything to go out of your way seeing. Imagine having a bunch of your mates, some of who may be actors some who are not, but all of you are high as a kite and you go out and film a campy western movie for the hell of it. Sounds like great fun. But, to the rest of us who were not privy to their party in the desert it gets a bit lost in translation.

Stick with the album.
I'm on a complete Spindrift binge just now. Bought all the albums the other day and have been listening to them as they arrive... but i read in the sleeve notes about this film and was curious. Think it would be fun to have some visuals to see as their music plays... adds another dimentsion. Also impressed with the fold out poster of all the movies their "Soundtracks" album covers... some great sounding movies amongst them...
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Drive.

wow.

b,

M
Design.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Sat in on Saturday and watched KILL LIST. Anyone else seen it? I really liked it, great style to it, a creeping sense of dread in the visuals and use of music/sounds. Pretty violent and an uneasy watch, goes pretty mental in a Wickerman stylee for the last 20 mins or so, then ends abruptly at the horrifying finale. Will have to watch it again at some point to gather some clues.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

johnnyboy wrote:Sat in on Saturday and watched KILL LIST. Anyone else seen it? I really liked it, great style to it, a creeping sense of dread in the visuals and use of music/sounds. Pretty violent and an uneasy watch, goes pretty mental in a Wickerman stylee for the last 20 mins or so, then ends abruptly at the horrifying finale. Will have to watch it again at some point to gather some clues.
Was tipped off about this last week, specifically the claw hammer scene, but it came highly recommended! Will be seeking it out shortly...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

13 assassins- good but the last 45 mins of the two hours being one big samarai bloodbath- after 15 of them i fastforwarded until it added anything to the story
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Laz69 wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:Sat in on Saturday and watched KILL LIST. Anyone else seen it? I really liked it, great style to it, a creeping sense of dread in the visuals and use of music/sounds. Pretty violent and an uneasy watch, goes pretty mental in a Wickerman stylee for the last 20 mins or so, then ends abruptly at the horrifying finale. Will have to watch it again at some point to gather some clues.
Was tipped off about this last week, specifically the claw hammer scene, but it came highly recommended! Will be seeking it out shortly...
Christ, the claw hammer scene. Horrible. Whack whack whack on the knees, whack whack whack on hands and fingers, whack whack whack on the head to finish it off. All captured in a very real looking way. It had me muttering "oh shit, fuck, eurghhhh, christ, that's gotta hurt, oh there's more........" to myself on the sofa. Highly recommended indeed.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I'm planning on seeking out all the movies listed on the Spindrift "Classic Soundtracks" album for some trashy b-movie cultfest! 8) :D
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Just watched it, very intense and the ending is unreal :shock:
'Remember, change is not good'
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

BVCP206 wrote:
Shocker indeed. Though, without giving it away for those who haven't seen it yet, I did guess who he was fighting half way through that ending scene, but didn't guess the actual hump (if you know what I mean). Horrible film moment!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

johnnyboy wrote:
BVCP206 wrote:
Shocker indeed. Though, without giving it away for those who haven't seen it yet, I did guess who he was fighting half way through that ending scene, but didn't guess the actual hump (if you know what I mean). Horrible film moment!
sounds fight club-y
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Way better than Fight Club :!:
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

ah really? should i check it out then?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

worth it for the visual nastiness of THAT scene...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

BVCP206 wrote:Way better than Fight Club :!:
That's hardly a recommendation as far as I'm concerned! I actually turned Fight Club off I got so bored.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

runcible wrote:
BVCP206 wrote:Way better than Fight Club :!:
That's hardly a recommendation as far as I'm concerned! I actually turned Fight Club off I got so bored.
ah but you missed the twist! bruce willis is a ghost...! :!: :!: :!:
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Troll Hunter. Superb!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

johnnyboy wrote:Sat in on Saturday and watched KILL LIST. Anyone else seen it?
This movie is now playing here in Portland as part of the Portland International Film Festival. My wife and I are going to see it tonight. Here is what the Portland critics have said about it:

>>>>
Kill List [GREAT BRITAIN]

For the first 84 of its 85 minutes, Ben Wheatley’s 'Kill List' is an effectively unnerving descent into human depravity. It also features enough comedic bickering between the leads to resemble 'The Trip', if Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon were hitmen and, instead of touring Northern England’s finest dining establishments, they traveled around the country bludgeoning people to death with hammers. In other words, for its first 84 minutes, 'Kill List' is the most intriguing (and most unflinchingly brutal) genre experiment of this year’s PIFF. As the violence grows more gratuitous, though, you get the sense that all it’s building toward is one big, empty shock. Then it happens, in a final reveal so preposterous it curdles everything that came before into waste. Ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated? You will.
<<<<<
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I finally saw Drive yesterday and LOVED it. I wasn't expecting it to be so brutal. Highly recommended!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Our Idiot Brother... complete bollocks more like!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i have the frozen planet boxset waiting for me :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

bunnyben wrote:i have the frozen planet boxset waiting for me :D
That is among the best wildlife/nature documentaries I have ever seen. Absolutely stunning.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

runcible wrote:
That is among the best wildlife/nature documentaries I have ever seen. Absolutely stunning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlbxRBfGAr0

:lol: :lol: the bastard!
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

runcible wrote:
But can you trust them :?:
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

BVCP206 wrote:
runcible wrote:
But can you trust them :?:
i've been led to beleive that the penguin was actually i tiger...
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Tyrannosaur

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISUyV34OVf4

cracking film. Plenty of fans of Dead Mans Shoes on this board which Im sure will appreciate this film. Paddy Considine's directorial debut.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Hedspace wrote:Tyrannosaur

cracking film. Plenty of fans of Dead Mans Shoes on this board which Im sure will appreciate this film. Paddy Considine's directorial debut.

I really enjoyed it. Quite disturbing although an amazing directorial debut.

Best,

M
Design.
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

MODLAB wrote:
Hedspace wrote:Tyrannosaur

I really enjoyed it. Quite disturbing although an amazing directorial debut.

Best,

M
Definitely one of the best films of 2011!
Speaking of Dead Man’s Shoes, I love A Room For Romeo Brass, too. Cosidine played a local wacko and Andrew Shim (aka Milky in This Is England series) played a leading role, Romeo, a chubby adorable boy. It’s very funny and becomes a bit scary towards the end.

I saw Shame today. Painfully beautiful portrayal of one man’s shame. Maybe some think it disturbing but I really love this film.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

We watched 'Young Adult' with Charlize Theron last night.

Watchable enough but they didn't develop the characters enough for you to feel any sympathy. A couple of the characters were also a bit unbelievable.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Easter weekend and what not ,the Family M. tripped of the the cinema too catch a movie ,The Pirates ,Ardman,stop motion thing very funny ,laughed out loud 8/9 times which aint to bad for a kids movie,and most importantly "the kids", thought it was a blast ,recommended :)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

niamhm wrote:Easter weekend and what not ,the Family M. tripped of the the cinema too catch a movie ,The Pirates ,Ardman,stop motion thing very funny ,laughed out loud 8/9 times which aint to bad for a kids movie,and most importantly "the kids", thought it was a blast ,recommended :)
Went to this today. Gotta love Queen Victoria as a Katana wielding ninja style warrior with a taste for eating endangered species. Genius!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

War Of The Arrows... superb Korean movie set around the second Manchu invasion of Korea. Some of the best fast-paced action i've seen in a while and lots of blood thrown in too!
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Martha Marcey May Marlene. Good movie with a really crap ending.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

TheWarmth wrote:I finally saw Drive yesterday and LOVED it. I wasn't expecting it to be so brutal. Highly recommended!
×2
but i WAS expecting it to be so brutal.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Anybody else on here see The Ballad of Genesis and Lady Jaye (recent documentary about Genesis P-Orridge/Lady Jaye Breyer)? Just saw it this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it! Same with the Island President and Jiro Dreams of Sushi! Good weekend for documentaries I guess!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I watched The Descendants last night. Good movie. Slightly more depressing than I had expected, though.
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

I recently watched, 'We need to talk about Kevin' Crap title, but was really impressed with the film. Disturbing theme, but brilliantly acted.
Hey Jayne
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

currently watching season 1 of the west wing. am really enjoying it (i know it's not a film but...)
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Some top recent films:

Safe - New Jason Stratham movie. you know what you're getting with him, but this was suprisingly good. Double-cross-tastic!

Iron Cross - Quite possibly movie of the year. Space Nazis living on the other side of the moon plotting world domination. What's not to like!
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Not very recent releases but last week I watched Hellboy and this weekend I'm going to watch Hellboy 2.

I stumbled across a Hellboy graphic novel in the local library and enjoyed the silliness of it. Then whilst browsing aimlessly on Amazon I found the 3 DVD collectors version of the first film for 7p, yes that's right SEVEN PENCE (plus about £1.20 postage). A week or so later the second film 2 DVD version was there for 49p. The boxes showed a bit of shelf wear but the discs were in excellent conditon.

A thoroughly silly film, but highly enjoyable if you're in the mood and all for less than the price of a pint. :mrgreen:
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i bought those hellboys on blu-ray when i first got a ps3. they're alright.
but after the avengers i don't think im gonna spend money on superhero/comic book films again. i just don't get the appeal of them. means i'll miss out on the new batman, but bar heath ledger & a few cool set-pieces in the 2nd one i just dont get the fuss.. these superheo's are ever in any real jeopardy. i don't see the appeal - is it to see superhero's fight people?! i don't get it. oh well.
robotoilet wrote: I saw Shame today. Painfully beautiful portrayal of one man’s shame. Maybe some think it disturbing but I really love this film.
terrific film.
don't think it was mcqueens best/most interesting directing but overall it's another brilliant flick from him. fassbender was really good.
robotoilet wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:I finally saw Drive yesterday and LOVED it. I wasn't expecting it to be so brutal. Highly recommended!
×2
but i WAS expecting it to be so brutal.
terrible film. i felt like the lady who sued them for false advertising after i watched it. there was literally no driving in it at all!

roll on Prometheus.
don't fuck up alien, plz ridley.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

thought Prometheus was great fun

I LOVE Alien & Aliens. this wasnt as tense or funny as those 2, respectively. More bombastic & less memorable set pieces than those, but it still blows away any 'summer blockbuster' or sci-fi film I've seen in donkeys. ticks all the boxes of a rollicking noisy adventure. Fassbender is typically brilliant & there's a ton of cool shit. Tip-top stuff from Ridley.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

The Raid: Redemption

Top action/fight-fest with plenty blood and gunplay throughout.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

I'm pretty excited for Prometheus. A friend of mine's father actually runs IMAX and snagged us some sweet free tickets to a big midnight showing and stuff, looking to be a fun night. Fassbender is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. Pretty slick dude.

I recently saw Moonrise Kingdom. I'm pretty mixed on Wanderson films. Part of me always thinks they are self-indulgent, pretentious, pieces of junk that I really want to dislike, while part of me just wants to spend time in the world. It's a love/hate thing. Moonrise Kingdom was cute and enjoyable, and I found myself more able to get lost in it instead of forcing myself to be thinking critically the whole time, which I appreciate in a movie.

Anybody see the Intouchables? Looking to go this weekend as well.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I just finished watching Pearl Jam Twenty. I remember falling in love with their song Even Flow as a youth even though I couldn't understand any of the words. Now I understand some of the words and I like the song even better for it. I was a bit of rebel in my somewhat conservative upbringing so I stayed up late one evening in the early to mid 90's to tape one of their concerts that was broadcast on a local rock station. Watching the film brought back those memories from my youth when grunge music was #1. Cameron Crowe directed the film and it was well done with lots of concert footage.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Prometheus

I enjoyed it....nice "prequel" to the greatest sci-fi horror film ever made. Also, as Ridley Scott produced and directed it is gorgeously shot and well edited. There is one scene in particular that might just top the infamous stomach burst scene in the first 'Alien'. No spoilers from me but those who have seen it will know what I'm talking about. :shock:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

redcloud wrote:Prometheus

I enjoyed it....nice "prequel" to the greatest sci-fi horror film ever made. Also, as Ridley Scott produced and directed it is gorgeously shot and well edited. There is one scene in particular that might just top the infamous stomach burst scene in the first 'Alien'. No spoilers from me but those who have seen it will know what I'm talking about. :shock:
Myself and the other half saw it this week. I thought it was good but lost it's way a bit. As it was a prequel there just seemed to be a lot of "seen it all before" moments. The girlfriend, who is a big Alien/Aliens fan, thought it was rubbish and was massively disappointed.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

watched The Interrupters last night
it's a doc about a group of violence interrupters in Chicago

it was p harrowing, sad & powerful. & terrific.
it's from the same guy who did Hoop Dreams fwiw.

i also watched Talhotblonde
which was nuts. didn't much like the use of the device of dead guy as narrator but it was an interesting story nonetheless.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

I just rewatched 500 Days of Summer last night for no good reason. It's got its flaws, but the Expectations v. Reality scene... really gets you in the gut. Here's a link to that scene if you want to remind yourself. http://vimeo.com/29879349
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

jack white wrote:watched The Interrupters last night
it's a doc about a group of violence interrupters in Chicago

it was p harrowing, sad & powerful. & terrific.
it's from the same guy who did Hoop Dreams fwiw.
I got to see this last night. It's a great film. I love seeing the former gang members who have turned their lives around and now try to help others. It shows you should never give up on someone.
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

This Must Be the Place

a weird film. i dare not say that i fully understand the story, but enjoyed Sean Penn's Robert Smith look.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Should have posted this whilst in London last month.

Moonrise Kingdom... Fantastic!!!

B,

M
Design.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Recent viewing:

21 Jump Street. Actually a very funny film.

Contraband. Mark Wahlberg plays a smuggler, pretty decent i thought.

All About Eve starring Bette Davis. This was good, quite sharp and cutting, and perhaps ahead of its time?

The Welldiggers Daughter. French film, gently funny in parts. Plus the requisite hottie too was very appealing to the eye.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Watched Jurassic Shark, so so bad it's good :lol:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Is it as good as Crocosaurus Vs Megashark?
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Laz69 wrote:Is it as good as Crocosaurus Vs Megashark?
The acting is worse :lol: