"And Nothing Hurt" - new Spiritualized® album 2018

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, spzretent, BzaInSpace, runcible

Jasonsmith
Known user

Re: "And Nothing Hurt" - new Spiritualized® album 2018

Post by Jasonsmith » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:35 am

sublow wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:20 am
Am I the only one who prefers the stripped down live version of Here It Comes, than the more bombastic recorded version? :(
No

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:08 am

it's okay but not really exciting me that much. I will keep listening- might be a grower.

there's a little tremolo sound buried in there (keyboard, or guitar?) that reminds me of something else from the Spaceman canon but I can't remember what it is.

the production certainly seems better on this album compared to SHSL. it's much warmer.

ro
Known user

Post by ro » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:13 pm

the tremolo sounds great!

I do love the more emotive lyric delivery of the live versions we were treated to a few years ago. So these 2 songs make more sense to me if I think of them as instrumentals, with the vocals woven in for rhythm, and the whole pieces as lovely immersive things.

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:45 pm

The tremolo sound is repeat percussion and has been used on numerous S3 and Spiritualized tracks. Definitely a classic Spaceman sound. I think that circuit is built into the Vox Starstreamer guitar that they used to use in S3. Not sure what Pierce uses these days, but there are a number of pedal builders that make them.

FM Spaceman
Known user

Post by FM Spaceman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:02 pm

TheWarmth wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:43 pm
"Here It Comes (The Road) Let's Go" is available to stream now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuYKUWM_o60

Thank You TheWarmth ...

xx xx ...

Multi
Known user

Post by Multi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:31 pm

Jasonsmith wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:35 am
sublow wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:20 am
Am I the only one who prefers the stripped down live version of Here It Comes, than the more bombastic recorded version? :(
No
There's one live version out there that I think is perfection (I can link to it later), but I predict I'll always be able to listen to and enjoy this album version.

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:16 am

TheWarmth wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:45 pm
The tremolo sound is repeat percussion and has been used on numerous S3 and Spiritualized tracks. Definitely a classic Spaceman sound. I think that circuit is built into the Vox Starstreamer guitar that they used to use in S3. Not sure what Pierce uses these days, but there are a number of pedal builders that make them.
ah great, yeah that's the one! it was integral to a lot of the Spacemen sound, and I'm sure you can also hear it in LGM, Pure Phase and some of the live stuff from that particular era.

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:08 am

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:40 am

I read the piece in Q, it's quite good. couple of pics of J sitting in the studio

although I do have access to a scanner, I didn't want to buy the whole mag for this one article! key bits I can remember:

John Cale was also considered as producer at one point (similar time as Tony Visconti was mooted)

he again gave the impression that the time with Youth was not a pleasurable one.

he wanted to make an album which reflected getting older, rather than bands who "try to sound like they did when they were 30"

he also said that he had tried to make the songs weirder (sessions with some of his Cafe Oto improv chums- including Charles Hayward from This Heat- man I'd love to hear that session!) but it didn't sound right. "you can give it a weird time signature but it doesn't make it good"

throb
Known user

Post by throb » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:57 pm

"Here it comes (The Road) Let's go" is streaming on Spotify. A warm Country ballad. Nice.
SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM

throb
Known user

Post by throb » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:59 pm

throb wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:57 pm
"Here it comes (The Road) Let's go" is streaming on Spotify. A warm Country ballad. Nice.
Nasty sax though.
SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM

Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:45 pm

I'm loving it all. I am a total tart.

Reading the Q article, it is quite extraordinary that the strings have been built from samples. Such lush production; right up my street.

It did remind me of that bit on the sleeve notes of Feel So Sad where it is made clear that the recording was made entirely of original material and not pieced together using samples of other people's work. I'd probably have had a problem with sampling back then, but if the result is as beautiful as we're hearing now then it's fine by me.

I remember the day I bought Feel So Sad. I was getting the train to Uni each day at the time and for whatever reason felt the need to buy it ASAP, i.e. the beginning of the day, which then meant I had to avoid it getting broken for the whole of the rest of the day. When I went into the record shop, the owner was full of how great the new single was, and offered to play it to me there and then (before the days of stuff streaming yonks before release), all 13 or so minutes of it. Another customer came into the shop and was politely asked to wait until we'd finished listening. Beautiful. What a day.

p.s. Jack White - where did you hear that the Holmfirth version was what he was after?

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:26 pm

Oh wow ... he confirmed in the Q article that the strings are all made up of samples? That fucking crazy. I feel like recently he said that he did record a lot in the studio whenever he needed to put something down that he couldn't record at home, so I figured he did "real" string sessions.

Also, I love "Here It Comes." I can't stop listening to it. It sort of bums me out that I already know 1/3 of the album, but I'm still extremely excited to hear the final product.

As an aside, my band is playing a set the evening before our other guitarist's wedding for all of the guests that arrive early and he insisted that we do "I'm Your Man," so we learned that and it's a lot of fun to play.

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:06 pm

Hey Paul, hope the gig goes well...

The entire Q mag is here... PDF reader required.

I can't believe the strings are all samples from OOP classical records. Yet...

They sound absolutely fantastic - the three songs released so far have given me a spring in my step without a doubt. Best and worst time to be hearing these tracks - but the beautiful country-soul thing never sounded so good until via Spiritualized. How the vocals and instrumentation blends & hits me in all the right kind of way.

The production is absolutely astounding. Was a huge thrill getting home on Monday night and accidentally finding 'Here It Comes' via Spotify. Those fucking horns!

For those who were saying they prefer the live version - you can have both! I'm particularly fond of the Syndey Opera House 2012 take: deep, dark and drugged out, and an incredible prelude to an astonishing show.

The more rugged takes with the US band are interesting as well, and the take I heard (and recorded) in the Brudenell back in 2016 was something else.
O P 8

FM Spaceman
Known user

Post by FM Spaceman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:40 pm

Thank You For The Link To The Q Magazine .PDF BZA ...

You've Made Our Day ...

I Really Wanted To See The Photographs From The Studio And Read The Interview With J ...

It's Super To See Our Lovely Jason Doing So Well ...

Jeffrey Cat And I Are Pretty Hyped About The New Album ...

Everything Is Sounding Great ...

At The Moment We're Limiting Ourselves To 1 x Play Of "I'm Your Man" Per Week ...

Which We're Thoroughly Enjoying ...

Aren't We Jeffrey ? ...

Only 35 Days To Go Now Until The Album's Release ...

We're Looking Forward To It Here At The Little One's Psychedelic Shack ...

We Can't Wait ...

Excitement ...

:)

xx xx ...

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:47 pm

spotted the first review in the new Shindig magazine. 4 stars.

reviewer compared it to Let It Come Down and said it 'sticks to his strengths as a songwriter'

apparently On The Sunshine is Velvets-eque and ends in a climax of flutes and strings.

also said something about Sail on Through but can't remember what now!

slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:40 pm

"I have this idea that great albums sound like they go in a cassette player in a car. The car is always in America, it's always dark, and it's usually in the desert. In the end these songs satisfied that."

❤️ this so much. thank you for sharing this article, BzaInSpace.

beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:36 pm

thanks for posting that Q mag. I’m so psyched for the album to arrive. Still managed to hold off listening to the already releases tracks. I want to sit down with a glass of wine and listen to it in one sitting, on vinyl :mrgreen:
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"

clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:05 am

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:52 pm

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:42 am

How are the new songs revealed thus far bedding in for people? I realised that they've released the opening 3 tracks of the album which seems to be quite a common thing these days.

I am still rating A Perfect Miracle as by far best of the new songs. those cascading strings sound great.

then I'm Your Man. I like the lyrical themes of the song and he gives it a nice country soul arrangement but part of me wishes the song had a bit more to it? a middle 8 or different outro or something to retain interest. As I'm usually listening via the video I have a strange feeling that I will weirdly miss the snippet of Damaged at the beginning.

Here It Comes still isn't doing anything for me. it's nice enough but a bit limp. does anyone think that thematically it would have made a better opening track though? if this is meant to be an album for driving in the car and all that.

I know I'm kind of sneaking a peak at my Christmas presents before the big day, but I can't help it!

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:51 pm

I love these songs.

Trying not to listen to them as much as I should but that epic country-soul-balm thing has made a relatively difficult time in my life so much easier.

No higher praise there really.

'Here it comes' - I could imagine that track build and build forever, it's struck me as something else when I first heard it on bootlegs way back in 2012, and as mentioned before I really liked the under-the-influenced vibe of the Sydney Opera House take, but I also love the VU 3rd style thing now.

'A Perfect Miracle' is just where I wish I don't want to be in 2018, yet the music is beautiful and truly outstanding. Those lyrics are either crushingly depressed or completely euphoric.

Use the L-R speakers to determine!

Nobody is recording songs like this right now.

Even if the whole album is like a heart-breaking song cycle thing like Astral Weeks I'm alright with that.

It would be great to have some incendiary rockers on the record... but I'm almost ok with that now.

There's always the live experience for that I suppose - Scottish gigs c'mon!
O P 8

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:11 am

BzaInSpace wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:51 pm

I love 'A Perfect Miracle' is just where I wish I don't want to be in 2018, yet the music is beautiful and truly outstanding. Those lyrics are either crushingly depressed or completely euphoric.
this is a good point. I think it really shows talent as a songwriter if a song can contain two emotions at once-like being somehow bittersweet, or euphoric but poignant at the same time. I think A Perfect Miracle nails that. in fact it's almost like the narrator is totally conflicted or split in his own head. echoes of I Think I'm In Love?

BzaInSpace wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:51 pm

It would be great to have some incendiary rockers on the record... but I'm almost ok with that now.

There's always the live experience for that I suppose - Scottish gigs c'mon!
that's true- it might be disappointing to some if this is a record chock full of ballads. but it's been a similar case on the past couple of albums- even when the more traditional songs slowed the pace of gigs down a bit, I always knew that the noise blowout of Take Me To The Other Side was coming at the end.

Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:59 am

I'd have no problem with an album full of country soul ballads - "Sweet heart, sweet light of the Rodeo" :D

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:20 am

Jasonsmith wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:59 am
I'd have no problem with an album full of country soul ballads - "Sweet heart, sweet light of the Rodeo" :D
I can almost hear Jason singing "sweetheart of the rodeo" to the melody of "sweet jane on the radio" in Hey Jane now!! :)

dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi Friends,
I absolutely love the new 3 songs and can’t stop listening to them. They speak to me completely and more than anything I can remember in their recent catalog. I cannot wait for the rest of the album and the full experience. I love it all, the lyrics, the mix, the videos, the instrumentation. I think I’ll listen to this just as much as Pure phase.

Regards,