*** Spaceman Reissue Program ***

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

mkb
Known user

Re: *** Spaceman Reissue Program ***

Post by mkb »

Would have liked a few more t-shirt designs, but I've ordered the vinyl and a mug.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Ian wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:03 pm Now available to order from the US and UK stores. And that was indeed the new cover design.
Not on UK store that i can see... :(
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Laz69 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:22 pm
Ian wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:03 pm Now available to order from the US and UK stores. And that was indeed the new cover design.
If you click on the Music or Merchandise menu options they don't show up, but if you just click on UK Store they do!
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Ian wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:28 pm
Laz69 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:22 pm
If you click on the Music or Merchandise menu options they don't show up, but if you just click on UK Store they do!
Top man! Cheers Ian.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Am I reading this correctly?
The t-shirts in the bundles are packaged in a pill case with blister pack?
So, instead of not being able to play the original CD by damaging the packaging all those years ago, this time I won't be able to wear the t-shirt? :lol:
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Starfish wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:11 pm Am I reading this correctly?
The t-shirts in the bundles are packaged in a pill case with blister pack?
So, instead of not being able to play the original CD by damaging the packaging all those years ago, this time I won't be able to wear the t-shirt? :lol:
There were some T-shirts sold like that in the past - possibly for the 3 disc reissue? Someone has been trying to sell one on eBay for some time, but with no luck (which may be something to do with the amount they're asking).
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
thesevensteves
Known user

Post by thesevensteves »

Curious that from a merchandising standpoint LAGWAFIS seems to have the least amount of offerings and some recycled options. Wasn't the foil tote available on the last tour? Shirt in a blister pack has been done before as well hasn't? Somewhere in storage I have one of the original LAGWAFIS mugs that was offered ages ago...a navy mug with just silver lettering on it which I much prefer to having the cover screened on a white mug.

Having a Plain version, a VMP version and woes with the last two releases I'm thinking hard about this one before committing...other than just be a supporter.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Yeah the blister pack t-shirts were available around the time of the first reissue in the black packaging, I remember them being on sale at the royal festival hall for the first full album performance.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Assuming this is the same as the VMP version "Lacquers Cut From Original Tapes By Barry Grint At Alchemy Mastering" this should be stunning. Love the new Artwork.

This is from the Electronic Sound interview when Jason was asked about the reissue program - "So the plan is to make them beautiful. I want to put out all four albums and box them together, to have them as a set of records that mean something"

I really hope there is a nice box / slip case for these.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Do I detect a slight tail off in how hyped people are for these reissues? although I guess we are a small sample size, and the hardcore fans here are the most likely to already have original vinyl copies of these albums.

I haven't even bought Pure Phase yet. I will.. I just want black rather than GITD and sometimes once release date passes, the moment sort of comes and goes. and there's lots of records brand new to me I could be buying. rather than something I could just slap the CD on now anyway.

As for myself I love the sleeve for Ladies and gents in all its forms (I wonder how it looked on cassette?) but I can see the rationale for a change that will look better on a vinyl sleeve.

shame that only LGM got an art print (although did anyone get the Pure Phase print that was available from a certain shop?)
no size guide for the T shirts either 😕 the fit can be a bit of a gamble with me
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

BzaInSpace wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:50 pm Image
I'm gonna have to see that in person before I pass judgement.

I actually saw that leaked on another forum a day or so earlier (admittedly a comedy forum) and thought it was joke. It could be the fever dream of an imagination-impaired, inartistic and unimaginative pharmacist. Or it might simply be genius?

Right now I'm not especially impressed. As a CD user who simply can't justify the expense/reward equation of buying and storing any more Spiritualized LPs for posterity - I didn't think much of the CD packaging so far.

Just reprinting the original credits on the sleeve doesn't exactly fit the modern expectations of reissue consumers. Would it have been so hard to add new liner notes of some kind?

However I have to give Jason credit. For example when I got the CD of LGM, I was blown away by the sound quality. I just assumed it was a modern remaster that accentuated elements of the original recording such as transients, separation, bass quality and so forth.

My old LGM CD is stuck with about 5000 others, in my mother's garage. I was convinced an A/B comparison would demonstrate these supposed improvements. Finding out the CDs were not remastered made me realise I'd just not listened to LGM in a long, long time.

Also I've now got some amazing PMC transmission line monitors in my simple Arcam > Marantz > PMC system with VDH cables. I've always believed that from live music to hifi, the inputs and outputs always make the best improvements. Cut a long story short, I realised I've just not listened to LGM for a long time. I guess the advent of affordable digital recording spawned so much brilliant live Spiritualized material, it's easy to lose touch with stuff you've already played to death.

I think Jason made a very pertinent point about Kate Radley's contributions to the early Spiritualized sound. The keys really make that record, much more prominent in the mix unlike later records.

I suppose it's hard when you have loved a band for so long, you get distracted taking deeper dives and losing touch with the source material. At the end of the day it's only the music that matters...
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think the credits might actually be updated or more detailed than the original issues. I'm sure LGM goes into a bit more detail in terms of who played what and where it was recorded.

One thing they could have done is used the text blurb that Jason is giving for each one (in the press release and shop) and put than inside, or on an obi strip or something?

of course my wish list would have been for extra demos, live tracks etc. but that's not what they are going for. it's just some nicely reissued versions of the originals. I get the impression Jason may not have really enjoyed the process with the ladies and gents reissue and won't be doing that again.

LGM does sound gorgeous to be fair.. the original CD did anyway, but this new vinyl was very pleasing to my ears. it hasn't been remastered as such has it? just extra care taken to do a good mastering
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

The new artwork makes sense for the vinyl I suppose, because the pill box concept was really only designed around the CD, it never really worked with the vinyl.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

"Good Times," which is the last track on side C of Pure Phase, has the most atrocious inner groove distortion I have ever heard throughout about the last 30 seconds of the song. I can't believe the engineer who cut this was ok with that. It sounds terrible. I have tried three copies of the album and they all have this issue.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:28 pm I think the credits might actually be updated or more detailed than the original issues. I'm sure LGM goes into a bit more detail in terms of who played what and where it was recorded.

One thing they could have done is used the text blurb that Jason is giving for each one (in the press release and shop) and put than inside, or on an obi strip or something?

of course my wish list would have been for extra demos, live tracks etc. but that's not what they are going for. it's just some nicely reissued versions of the originals. I get the impression Jason may not have really enjoyed the process with the ladies and gents reissue and won't be doing that again.

LGM does sound gorgeous to be fair.. the original CD did anyway, but this new vinyl was very pleasing to my ears. it hasn't been remastered as such has it? just extra care taken to do a good mastering
I may have been wrong about the credits, they may have more detail (which is appreciated.) But putting them on the CD sleeve adds to the whole product looking uber cheap. Maybe I'm being unfair and comparing these to seminal recent Beatles and Dylan boxsets, which were much more expensive.

Using blurb from Jason is a brilliant idea. He's been so open and eloquent in interviews, it would be such a cheap way to add genuine value!

I didn't expect extras like demos and alternate takes etc. We've already been pretty spoiled by the two official volumes of Complete Works, plus our own collection here and the two great Will Carruthers releases - which were so good Jason put them up for free download on the old Spiritualized website.

I'm sure the original (and apparently identical) LGM CD sounded gorgeous to my ears too, back in the day. I just never realised how long it had been since I listened to that album. Also I'd forgotten how back then Spiritualized was generally come-down or opiate-stoned music, more so than critical listening at home with your own carefully constructed high fidelity reproductive equipment.

I thought I knew LGM back to front, cover to cover etc. But when I joined this great place after being amazed by the brilliance of Let It Come Down, I got exposed to so many high quality (= enjoyable/listenable) live boots available to download - and then the great memories of hearing Spiritualized own it playing live, took me down another rabbit hole!

I'll not be buying the next CD, as I've got the last reissue - which was perfectly done. However I suspect Let It Come Down will be obligatory, and not just because I think it's the best album Jason has made. I love the artwork, though that sculpted plastic case collects dust like a motherfucker. But 2d images make for the perfect computer desktop tile, Mark Farrow's wife has a beautiful face (though I wouldn't want to dip my own face in plaster for a simple relief.)

Now I know all the facts, I'm both not surprised yet eminently impressed around how Jason got the albums so perfect, first time. I got invited to guest lecture some music tech students around the differences between phase and polarity (on a technical level) at a local college. I thought I was being clever by using Pure Phase as an example of how phase = time versus polarity = an electrical/physics concept. That did not go as planned, kids today...
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
neil_jung
Known user

Post by neil_jung »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:11 pm Do I detect a slight tail off in how hyped people are for these reissues?

i've lost interest tbh. i get it's a good way to make money, even with the issues. i'd be much more interested in new music than the opportunity to re-buy what i've given away in the past with different moves etc. i get in here the new music is usually slammed before people even listen but i can't justify any more spz purchases unless it is new music!
I’ve been visiting morgues and monasteries
Looking for the necessary body parts
Limbs and livers and brains and hearts
I want to bring someone to life - is what I want to do
I want to create my own version of you

dylan
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

neil_jung wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:15 pm
angelsighs wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:11 pm Do I detect a slight tail off in how hyped people are for these reissues?

i've lost interest tbh. i get it's a good way to make money, even with the issues. i'd be much more interested in new music than the opportunity to re-buy what i've given away in the past with different moves etc. i get in here the new music is usually slammed before people even listen but i can't justify any more spz purchases unless it is new music!
I can sympathise with that point of view. Obviously my previous posts above show appreciation for the recent re-releases, but they were not actually anything new.

I think Sweet Heart/Sweet Light and And Nothing Hurt were both stellar albums, and I want to hear what comes next!

The worst thing that can happen is Jason performs a full UK tour.
Dave Chappelle
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Going by various record shop tweets/emails, this is the release they're most hyped for.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Wow - Blue vinyl sold out on Resident / Rough Trade already.
neil_jung
Known user

Post by neil_jung »

mojo filters wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:33 pm

I think Sweet Heart/Sweet Light and And Nothing Hurt were both stellar albums, and I want to hear what comes next!

i agree, i don't think there is a bad spz album. a new one is apparently 'ready' but seems to be being held up. in your other post you mentioned historic boxsets by dylan, neil young et al but these are not either/or, new music/ projects (rough and rowdy ways, shadow kingdom live event, art works, a new theme time radio hour show and whiskey all from dylan in the last 2 years + 1 and an upcoming (sept) official bootleg). i get J works on a smaller scale and maybe the label thinks there is more money in reissues, but if an album is 'done' why not release it? are they waiting until he can tour it? that could be another year or two and by then he'll have probably chucked it for a new project! say what you like about taylor swift but she released two lockdown albums plus some smaller projects around them!

dylan
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

neil_jung wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:02 pm
mojo filters wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:33 pm

i agree, i don't think there is a bad spz album. a new one is apparently 'ready' but seems to be being held up. in your other post you mentioned historic boxsets by dylan, neil young et al but these are not either/or, new music/ projects (rough and rowdy ways, shadow kingdom live event, art works, a new theme time radio hour show and whiskey all from dylan in the last 2 years + 1 and an upcoming (sept) official bootleg). i get J works on a smaller scale and maybe the label thinks there is more money in reissues, but if an album is 'done' why not release it? are they waiting until he can tour it? that could be another year or two and by then he'll have probably chucked it for a new project! say what you like about taylor swift but she released two lockdown albums plus some smaller projects around them!
OK, working backwards from your post:

• dunno what to say about Taylor Swift, but these days you don't see her playing guitar like when she first got famous - which seems odd as US guitar retailers are reporting that girls now make up an increasingly large and important share of their market

• lots of very successful and financially secure artists had a prolific and privileged lockdown output; those further down the food chain who rely on touring have really struggled - so no offence intended, but cry me the proverbial fucking river

• does Jason really have a new album "done?" He's the poster child for methodically refining his songwriting into viable output via meticulous studio work and tinkering with new material whilst touring (eg the evolution of Come Together from a dull dirge of distorted guitars all playing one note around 1995, to the quasi-baroque mix of drone and the major 3rd progression we now all know and love.) My only recollection of material he "chucked" was the initial sessions for And Nothing Hurt, recorded and produced by Boy George producer "Youth" - a bald old man who uses a ridiculous nom de plume. That was never going to work, he should have picked John Porter, John Leckie, Steven Street, Mick Ronson or Tony Visconti (the latter two who really impressed with Morrissey and Dean & Britta respectively)

• like every artist in a similar position, Jason is dependent on his record label. Whilst recent evidence suggests they (very strangely) seem to struggle with actually putting out playable records, you don't get into success in that highly competitive business without knowing all the rules of the road. I'm confident we'll see the next Spiritualized record at the right time

• if Jason was going to pursue a new project, isn't it more likely he'll do something adjacent to his records, rather than messing up his process? Acoustic Mainlines was that kind of genius move, and handily reinvigorated a lot of fans who were losing interest after the polarising Amazing Grace album

• yeah, my examples of The Beatles and Dylan were poor choices, but when I buy a new CD reissue I already have multiple copies of - I expect some added value. Is that unreasonable?

• I agree there is no bad Spiritualized album, but Songs In A&E kinda missed the mark after we'd all heard most of the best tracks via Acoustic Mainlines. Plus Jason had serious health issues, complicating matters

At the end of the day I just want a new album (done right) and a UK tour that doesn't force me to take three trains and then suffer cheapster sound, because all you could hear from the balcony was spill from the (highly directional) ground floor house stacks. I don't mind paying for that kind of memorable gig, but I'd prefer to have the option of hearing the band play locally, then the extra trips are just like the proverbial icing on the metaphorical Spiritualized cake!
Dave Chappelle
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

TheWarmth wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:00 pm "Good Times," which is the last track on side C of Pure Phase, has the most atrocious inner groove distortion I have ever heard throughout about the last 30 seconds of the song. I can't believe the engineer who cut this was ok with that. It sounds terrible. I have tried three copies of the album and they all have this issue.
Paul.
I just listened to Good Times rather loud and you are 100% correct. A black vinyl copy won't cure this issue. It sounds like a punk record the nosier the track gets. I would think test pressings were sent out to all concerned.
The shows on that tour were powerful and noisy but I have a hard time believing that is the sound they were going for on Good Times.
Kind of a bummer.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

spzretent wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:55 am
TheWarmth wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:00 pm "Good Times," which is the last track on side C of Pure Phase, has the most atrocious inner groove distortion I have ever heard throughout about the last 30 seconds of the song. I can't believe the engineer who cut this was ok with that. It sounds terrible. I have tried three copies of the album and they all have this issue.
Paul.
I just listened to Good Times rather loud and you are 100% correct. A black vinyl copy won't cure this issue. It sounds like a punk record the nosier the track gets. I would think test pressings were sent out to all concerned.
The shows on that tour were powerful and noisy but I have a hard time believing that is the sound they were going for on Good Times.
Kind of a bummer.
I know this is neither the right place nor time, but I'd like to fly the flag for CD users. My reissued Lazer Guided Melodies and Pure Phase play perfect.

If I have an axe to grind, the packaging is cheap and adds nothing to a reissue.

But the reissues have forced me to listen to these albums with fresh ears - an experience I've really enjoyed and appreciated. I've experienced much joy!

You'd think a record label would at least know how to put out ...err...records?!
Dave Chappelle
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

mojo filters wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:22 am
spzretent wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:55 am
Paul.
Kind of a bummer.
I know this is neither the right place nor time, but I'd like to fly the flag for CD users. My reissued Lazer Guided Melodies and Pure Phase play perfect.

If I have an axe to grind, the packaging is cheap and adds nothing to a reissue.

But the reissues have forced me to listen to these albums with fresh ears - an experience I've really enjoyed and appreciated. I've experienced much joy!

You'd think a record label would at least know how to put out ...err...records?!
I know I mentioned it earlier, but here's another thumbs up for the CD. My originals sound lovely thanks very much. Personally I see the re-issue program as an excellent way to build up funds / label credibility ahead of a new album(s) and tour(s). All the purchases I've made so far (vinyl and t-shirts) have been as gifts to friends and family. LGM was realeased the year our eldest child was born, and it's started the whole Spritiualized conversation again amongst us.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Decided I'm gonna collect all the mugs. should look good on a shelf together.

also agree nothing wrong with CDs, especially with albums like these that were to all intents and purposes made for CD. it's good to get vinyl back in the shops though, and easier to get hold of, for people that prefer that format.

The new album will come in due course. any record company would know that it's madness to issue a new record amongst a reissue campaign. plus no touring. the band have definitely traditionally been one who like to get out there and push a record on the road.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Just to be clear, I wasn't criticising the reissue programme per se. It's revitalised my enthusiasm for the band, and I'm perfectly happy with buying the new CDs, even though I've discovered my ears are not as golden as I thought - if anything I'm feeling even better about spending stupid money on the monitors that clearly demonstrate how long it's been since I put on one of my original LGM CDs.

I just feel bad for the folks who have had issues with the records. Even though I've not owned a turntable in many years, until recently I'd have been all over the coloured vinyl to add to the early Spiritualized vinyl I used to collect.

Unfortunately it's just not practical these days, especially as my mother constantly complains about my CD collection taking up alleged valuable space in her garage (she drives a fucking Micra, there's plenty of room!)

Interestingly the normally uber critical Steve Hoffman forum doesn't seem to have noted the issues with records mentioned on here. I wonder how many of the folks posting there can have played their records?

I agree this is all in a good cause, and here's hoping this programme will ensure we get a new Spiritualized album and tour!
Dave Chappelle
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Given how quickly the blue vinyl seems to be selling out everywhere, I think there's still plenty of enthusiasm for these.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have bought the reissue CD's for both LGM and PP as well. Those are my go to for listening now.
Given how amazing the LAG LP VMP remaster turned out I had high expectations for LGM & PP LP's.
Seems like a blown opportunity as far as the vinyl is concerned.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mojo filters wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:33 am
Interestingly the normally uber critical Steve Hoffman forum doesn't seem to have noted the issues with records mentioned on here. I wonder how many of the folks posting there can have played their records?
haha that's funny! half of the threads on that forum seem to be people moaning about dynamic range, giving endless lists of DR numbers and getting obsessed with the different matrix numbers of old records.
people moaning about a lack of dynamic range these days, has somehow become more boring than the lack of dynamic range..

It's interesting on social media too- lots of people proudly posting pics of their glow in the dark Pure Phase playing on the turntable, but no mention of quality issues. do they actually listen? or have they just got lucky.
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

I'm in a bit of a quandry with the LAGWAFIS release. I'm not particularly bothered by the blue vinyl, not just because of the GITD dark problems but because the VMP release was blue too. I'm thinking of getting the black LP and playing that as my go-to and keeping the VMP for Sunday best. I'm not a real completist, so I don't want the blue version for the sake of it.

What does interest me is the suggestion that the re-issues will form a complete package? Box set? That is intriguing and may push me to buy the LAGWAFIS black and the LICD when it comes out. TBH, I don't really listen to LICD very often at all, so wasn't likely to buy the new re-issue. I do like the graphics from this though and this could look pretty good in another colour.

LAGWAFIS t-shirts - I'm kind of objecting to paying £36 for a t-shirt in a pill packaging that I'm going to open. No interest of keeping it as a collector's edition. I would buy a bog-standard t-shirt. Mug too - I get that they're selling the original colourway but maybe another colour would keep up the interest?

Anyway, nevermind all that...where are the fuckin' tea-towels??? I'd buy a set of those, whatever colour they come in.
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

angelsighs wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:44 pm haha that's funny! half of the threads on that forum seem to be people moaning about dynamic range, giving endless lists of DR numbers and getting obsessed with the different matrix numbers of old records.
people moaning about a lack of dynamic range these days, has somehow become more boring than the lack of dynamic range..

It's interesting on social media too- lots of people proudly posting pics of their glow in the dark Pure Phase playing on the turntable, but no mention of quality issues. do they actually listen? or have they just got lucky.
They're not that keen on us either :lol:

Utter nonsense. The new CDs are noticeably better than any of the original Dedicated releases. The Spiritualized forum has been pretty much populated by the same four or five people for the last several years and I’ve long since given up on believing anything they post anymore.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

:lol:

I saw that. Somebody else on there quoted me from earlier on in this thread…

Apparently what I said about the lack of remastering on these reissues is “utter nonsense”.

I assumed those guys would be the first to paste spectrographic comparisons and yeah, those endless DR lists, which would undoubtedly prove that, if you were so inclined.

Also note the lack of remastering information on the sleeves?

Anyway, that’s me telt. 😮
O P 8
adamhx
Known user

Post by adamhx »

rapideye wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:24 pm I'm in a bit of a quandry with the LAGWAFIS release. I'm not particularly bothered by the blue vinyl, not just because of the GITD dark problems but because the VMP release was blue too. I'm thinking of getting the black LP and playing that as my go-to and keeping the VMP for Sunday best. I'm not a real completist, so I don't want the blue version for the sake of it.
I'm in a similar place. I've spent a fortune on vinyl, mugs and a t shirt on the last two re-releases, but I have the VMP of LAGWAFIS and a LAGWAFIS mug. When you add in all the issues with the GITD Pure Phase I am reluctant to buy anything this time around. I doubt this pressing will top the quality of the VMP one and I am glad that pressing was more in keeping with the original album design.

I also am sick of jumping straight in to buy these 'limited' coloured vinyl releases only to then see stacks of them in my local stores and on discogs for £5 cheaper than I paid online.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

I realise the new artwork is linked to the old artwork, but I do find it a little strange how Jason is happy to change it, given his previous comments on the matter
It’s like owning a copy of a book: would you rather own a William Faulkner that’s in its original dust jacket by whoever designed it at that period of time and thought that was the way that this thing should be presented or some kind of modern retake? I loathe re-editions where they redesign the sleeves to make them more contemporary because they are part of the period within which the work was presented. They are as much about where you are and what you’re doing as the content.
The original is iconic, and completely tied to the music inside.
neil_jung
Known user

Post by neil_jung »

mkb wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:31 pm I realise the new artwork is linked to the old artwork, but I do find it a little strange how Jason is happy to change it, given his previous comments on the matter
It’s like owning a copy of a book: would you rather own a William Faulkner that’s in its original dust jacket by whoever designed it at that period of time and thought that was the way that this thing should be presented or some kind of modern retake? I loathe re-editions where they redesign the sleeves to make them more contemporary because they are part of the period within which the work was presented. They are as much about where you are and what you’re doing as the content.
The original is iconic, and completely tied to the music inside.
maybe it's a compromise? when he did lag live he said he wasn't nostalgic and wanted it to be new. now he is trying to perfect his past and not being nostalgic make it different?

dylan
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

I think the new artwork shows that these are not just like the inferior reissues that get knocked out (Plain etc). The fact that they've gone back to Farrow to re-work the sleeves (at some cost, no doubt) shows the level of commitment going into them. New Order did the same sort of thing. Even the VMP issue was a change in artwork - silver circles, gatefold, photo's of the production.

I don't understand the hit and miss quality of the pressings (mine are fantastic) and this is a total shame.

In interviews Jason has been clear that he's never received royalties for all four records - not a surprise when you look at the cost of making them with the musicians involved, travel to the USA etc.

I really welcome the reissues. Like other people have said it's given me the chance to sit down with each record and really spend some time with them again. I hadn't realised just how perfect LGM really was. It's an astounding record. I've always loved Pure Phase but having a nice chunky vinyl version is great.

And if the end result is the funds for a new release that is a bonus. The music industry for musicians has been hit disproportionately hard by streaming and then loss of touring revenue from Covid.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

BzaInSpace wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:39 pm :lol:

I saw that. Somebody else on there quoted me from earlier on in this thread…

Apparently what I said about the lack of remastering on these reissues is “utter nonsense”.

I assumed those guys would be the first to paste spectrographic comparisons and yeah, those endless DR lists, which would undoubtedly prove that, if you were so inclined.

Also note the lack of remastering information on the sleeves?

Anyway, that’s me telt. 😮
The Steve Hoffman Music forum constantly sucks the joy out of music. More than any other music forum I read. Not sure who that was that said that but I responded. This place has never been accused of posting BS. Not sure why they felt the need to dis this forum.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I’m out. I spend so much on great sounding vinyl, but why this? There are so many awesome reissues one can bless their ears with these days. The original pressings/colors look better, in my opinion, and can’t be that hard to find? In terms of sound, I hear y’all about CDs, but why not just stream this stuff lossless from Apple through my headphones? These color pressings sound awful, no need to fool yourself, it’s unlikely you will listen to this record in this format in 2 years. They could have at least made these reissues sound better or provided extra tracks. They already had a reissue of this with a bunch of extra tracks, right? Why not put out some singles or something? They have had to send out so many duplicate copies to compensate for complaints about the sound, I don’t really see where they are making money. Maybe it’s all about selling the merch, which must be difficult during Covid? I’m excited for those who are excited about this, but I don’t imagine many old timers on this message board are up for this. For me, the original 12” at $25 felt like so much at the time. I really don’t mean to whine and complain but also sad to see my friends blow their money on more of these when there spaceman himself seems so unenthusiastic about it.
neil_jung
Known user

Post by neil_jung »

Jason literally spent years obsessing over every detail of the mixing and mastering of these albums back in the day, when he had access to state-of-the-art equipment. Do you really think he would go through that process again just to put them out again in the same format?

And even if he wanted to, he couldn't have. He is a leukemia patient with respiratory problems. He has not left the house in over a year.

He specifically said that the reissue campaign was something he could do to raise some cash, without leaving the house. He has not had access to a studio.
is that true?!

dylan
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Pat Garrett wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:56 pm
Utter nonsense. The new CDs are noticeably better than any of the original Dedicated releases. The Spiritualized forum has been pretty much populated by the same four or five people for the last several years and I’ve long since given up on believing anything they post anymore.
Didn't realise Jason was a lurker here and there! :lol: :lol: :lol:
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

neil_jung wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:07 am
Jason literally spent years obsessing over every detail of the mixing and mastering of these albums back in the day, when he had access to state-of-the-art equipment. Do you really think he would go through that process again just to put them out again in the same format?

And even if he wanted to, he couldn't have. He is a leukemia patient with respiratory problems. He has not left the house in over a year.

He specifically said that the reissue campaign was something he could do to raise some cash, without leaving the house. He has not had access to a studio.
is that true?!
I have no idea whether it's true or not, but his 2005 illness was respiratory-based and IIRC he was getting treatment with a drug usually used for leukemia when he was ill whilst recording SHSL. So perhaps this poster is adding 1+1 and getting 5? He certainly hasn't mentioned any health issues in his recent round of interviews, and given he's been very open about them before, I feel it'd be a surprising omission to make if true. And yeah, maybe he hasn't left the house in more than a year, but we're in the middle of a pandemic and loads of people are the same. f I didn't have to go to work I'd have barely left the house too!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Pat Garrett wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:56 pm They're not that keen on us either :lol:

how dare they! there's at least 9 or 10 of us :)

if Bza has heard from the record company that these are the exact same masters, that's good enough for me.

again, we are a very small sample of the whole but it is a shame to hear a bit of negativity here. the pressing issues suck but isn't that always the way with coloured vinyl? they are all being made available in black too.
reissuing the records is a great way to keep the band ticking over and get these out there again. original pressings are NOT easy to find in my experience. I am sure these will all sell out nicely and get people talking about the band again.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

dselevan2 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:41 am sad to see my friends blow their money on more of these when there spaceman himself seems so unenthusiastic about it.
Based on what? Any interview he's given he's been saying that this is something he wants to do at this time, and the way they are presenting them with the revised artwork etc, clearly shows they're going beyond the bare minimum. This isn't some tossed out "let's repress some records with no thought" thing. Even the Spaceman Reissue Program name indicates that he's behind this.

I realise some people would like more in terms of liner notes, extra music, but that's been a complaint of people that's went back the Complete Works and probably beyond. Minimal, consistent artwork has been the case for decades, it's obviously how Jason likes to present his work, I don't think it's indicative of him not caring or not being enthusiastic.

Feels like some people have decided that pressing issues with the GITD Pure Phase mean that the whole program is some kind of waste of time, which seems an overreaction to me.

One thing I do find odd in this campaign is why they would have remastered the albums for vinyl but not for CD, particularly the first couple of albums.
adamhx
Known user

Post by adamhx »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:54 am the pressing issues suck but isn't that always the way with coloured vinyl? they are all being made available in black too.
The VMP of LAGWAFIS is blue though and sounds amazing. I suspect most of us hardcore fans on here bought that pressing, which is why we are all not so fussed for this latest re-release (along with the fact we are still disappointed by the GITD PP issues).
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

dselevan2 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:41 am The original pressings/colors look better, in my opinion, and can’t be that hard to find? In terms of sound, I hear y’all about CDs, but why not just stream this stuff lossless from Apple through my headphones? These color pressings sound awful, no need to fool yourself, it’s unlikely you will listen to this record in this format in 2 years. They could have at least made these reissues sound better or provided extra tracks. They already had a reissue of this with a bunch of extra tracks, right? Why not put out some singles or something? They have had to send out so many duplicate copies to compensate for complaints about the sound, I don’t really see where they are making money. Maybe it’s all about selling the merch, which must be difficult during Covid? I’m excited for those who are excited about this, but I don’t imagine many old timers on this message board are up for this. For me, the original 12” at $25 felt like so much at the time. I really don’t mean to whine and complain but also sad to see my friends blow their money on more of these when there spaceman himself seems so unenthusiastic about it.
Tell us you're old without saying you're old. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you looked up the prices on original pressings by any chance, or are you just assuming everyone who wants the vintage vinyl pressings can spend hundreds of dollars on a copy?

https://www.discogs.com/Spiritualized-L ... ase/310080
https://www.discogs.com/Spiritualized-E ... ase/546841

The reissues sound very good to me. I know current pressing plants have QC issues, and whoever Fat Possum uses is among them. Definitely more of a crap shoot these days, but people who enjoy music on vinyl have to either deal with it, raise a stink with the label, or stick to digital formats (or even tapes).

I've been listening to "this format" for over 45 years, and I'm not stopping in 2 years.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Got both LGM (White) & PP (GITD) vinyl reissues and both play fine. Will be passing on LAGWAFIS as have (like many of us on here) the VMP version which looks & sounds superb :D
'Remember, change is not good'
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

A box to house all the records in would be great. I hope this becomes a thing.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

mojo filters wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:02 am
My only recollection of material he "chucked" was the initial sessions for And Nothing Hurt, recorded and produced by Boy George producer "Youth" - a bald old man who uses a ridiculous nom de plume. That was never going to work, he should have picked John Porter, John Leckie, Steven Street, Mick Ronson or Tony Visconti (the latter two who really impressed with Morrissey and Dean & Britta respectively)
Such a bizarre post.

Er… just no. Rarely have I seen a post that makes me go WTF!

I would have absolutely no desire to hear And Nothing Hurt produced to sound like The Smiths, Blur or the Kaiser Chiefs. That drum sound & the treble heavy guitar!

And Mick Ronson has been dead for nearly three decades!

John Leckie actually assisted in engineering some of the parts of LAG recorded in the UK… and Tony Visconti was offered to produce And Nothing Hurt - but had a very definitive way of producing that wasn’t probably suitable to what Jason was seeking at the time.

To be fair Youth has done a lot of great work: Riot City Blues and Damage & Joy spring to mind. I think he would have made a decent job of the Spiritualized US Band - sadly short lived.

💉

Back to LAG - I remember reading way back that Jason had considered either Brian Eno or Gibby Haynes(!) to produce. I can’t even imagine how that would have sounded. I think Brian Eno had better stuff like U2 at that time to be involved with :oops: , ultimately I’m glad the great Jim Luther Dickinson suggested J. should just do it himself - apparently he’s in there somewhere anyway in the “fuzzy brown” - exactly!

The reissue program - the digital versions are the very same as they always have been. Regardless of what those guys on the SH Music Corner thinks, with their special ears and cables that cost hundreds of dollars:

The vinyl editions have not been remastered in any real sense other than they’re reproduced from new stampers from the original tapes with modern technology - glad those tapes have been kept safe.

Great to see Alan challenging them!

Otherwise, the music remains the same: incredible, incendiary, emotive, psychedelic, destructive, sexy and highly exciting.

Sometimes it’s just there for the chill. That’s alright. In the background it’s like a Spector thing - just a beautiful mesh of sounds and instruments and voices. LGM is totally good for that.

Mostly: it’s like nothing I still haven’t heard anyone else do. I play lots of music but nothing quite gets me as that level of detail yet with pure rock & roll energy & passion.
O P 8
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I found that post a bit mad too. I know Spiritualized have been going a while, but Mick Ronson?! I heard they tried to get Joe Meek for LGM too, but he was unavailable (just playing! :P)

Eno just goes where the big and easy 9-5 paycheck is, sadly. Hence the lazy U2 paydays and the sonic-stretching possibility that is.... Coldplay. The irony is that surely he'd find Spiritualized a far more interesting prospect to work with. Likely the pay packet Jason could offer back in 1996 wasn't big enough compared to what that pesky tax dodger Bono was likely offering. Likely the same with Visconti too. I cut him more slack though, as he might have been tied up with Black Star at the time (timing seems to make sense).

And Youth. Didn't he dick Jason about and withhold the first version of ANH because Jason wanted to scrap it and start again with Youth? Sounds like the actions of a bitter producer desperate for a profile and a paycheck. Not a cool thing to do.

And here is my mad post...

I'm all for Jason producing so long as he is happy with the sound. For his own sake though, should he wish it I hope he can get in someone he can trust like John Coxon to carry some of the production weight so he doesn't shoulder all the burden he felt putting ANH together on his own. And give Nick McCabe a track to play on, Jase! I think that might be interesting. Or Kevin Shields. I loved Jason playing on Primal Scream recently, so it would be nice to see someone show the same love to a Spiritualized track sometime. Imagine McCabe adding stuff to something like Sail on Through.

Anyway, cannot wait to hear the new album he has said to have completed in the last year. Is it very acoustic and stripped down? Or did he become a laptop whizz and record an electronic thing? Will that cool 'A song' finally appear? Exciting.

And there is no reissue fatigue from me. No-one is forcing anyone to buy the reissues. Have to say my purchases have sounded great. And I like that the artwork has been changed to highlight that is it a reissue and a chance to do something different. If you don't like them, the originals or even the Plain sleeves are still out there so shed no tears. Overall, I am pleased the c*rona situation has been fruitful for Spiritualized and that J's amazing catalogue is getting a deserved reappraisal with hopefully some remuneration going his way. I can't think of a more deserving person.
poly800rock
New user

Post by poly800rock »

mc wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:38 am
neil_jung wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:07 am

is that true?!
I have no idea whether it's true or not, but his 2005 illness was respiratory-based and IIRC he was getting treatment with a drug usually used for leukemia when he was ill whilst recording SHSL. So perhaps this poster is adding 1+1 and getting 5? He certainly hasn't mentioned any health issues in his recent round of interviews, and given he's been very open about them before, I feel it'd be a surprising omission to make if true. And yeah, maybe he hasn't left the house in more than a year, but we're in the middle of a pandemic and loads of people are the same. f I didn't have to go to work I'd have barely left the house too!
He had a double pneumonia for songs in A&E, the leukemia treatment....idk if thats true medically wise, he was treated for Hepatitis C right? Think th was referring to those medications.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I don't think Jason needs a producer, certainly not one who stamps their own sound on proceedings. He just needs a good engineer and someone who can translate his ideas. That said, if he did have to work with someone I reckon Daniel Lanois might be good.

And Nothing Hurts sounds so good, he must have learnt to be a whizz at the home recording. must take ages to get it right though.

when did J play with Primal Scream?
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

angelsighs wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:27 am when did J play with Primal Scream?
I *think* it was on the RSD release a few years ago- they covered "Mantra For A State Of Mind" by S'Express.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Yeah that's right, one of the best things Primal Scream have done in a long time

https://youtu.be/6JUvHuTtf0c
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

niamhm wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:50 am
sunray wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:38 am
mkb wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:57 pm I assumed that was a placeholder image and that they'll do what they've done with the others - same artwork, different colour scheme (possibly just the original blue and white inversed if it's blue vinyl?)
I'm convinced that's the cover.
It's way better than the original, which only really works with the pill pack imo. On all other formats it's an incredibly boring, drab design. Though i guess VMP improved it with the silver print and gloss finish.
Bloody hell Joycey!! Are you serious? The original is amazing!! Ffs. :lol:
BzaInSpace wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:29 pm No I get that. The original sleeve design works best on the CD as a tablet with the pop-out foil. The rest not so much.

I think that the new sleeve is beautiful.
BZA did indeed get what i meant :)

As i expected, there is nothing in the merch that i'm interested in. I'm confident LICD will produce the same outcome for me. I'll pick up the vinyl and cd for the different sleeve but that'll be it.
angelsighs wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:54 am
Pat Garrett wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:56 pm They're not that keen on us either :lol:

how dare they! there's at least 9 or 10 of us :)
:lol: That was my exact reaction too.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Something that's puzzling me... When Ladies and Gentlemen was reissued for the 12(?) year anniversary Jason came to an agreement with Elvis' estate to be able to use the Elvis version of the title track but it had to be called Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space (I Can't Help Falling In Love) and had writing credits for George Weiss, Hugo Peretti and Luigi Creatore.

I don't own a copy but I understand that the VMP reissue last year has the Elvis version, but retains the original title (no I Can't help...). Looks like the new Spaceman Reissue version does also. So perhaps another agreement was made? Or has copyright expired?

Post by toomilk »

I've ordered pretty much everything, but I'm not a fan of the artwork. I was going to just assume they were going to be the black artwork from the previous reissue.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

PS: the blue vinyl is sold out on the US shop
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

mkb wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:02 pm Yeah that's right, one of the best things Primal Scream have done in a long time

https://youtu.be/6JUvHuTtf0c
Oh yeah absolutely. That’s a hell of a track. You can probably find the 12” of that easily now

It’s amazing!
O P 8
Zippy
Known user

Post by Zippy »

I grabbed a blue vinyl. Hoping for the same quality as the VMP release based on the mostly positive reaction.
I prefer the original artwork, but I’ll live.
I’m already looking forward to LICD, which was my introduction to Spiritualized.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

rapideye wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:24 pm
Anyway, nevermind all that...where are the fuckin' tea-towels??? I'd buy a set of those, whatever colour they come in.
Hahaha!
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

dselevan2 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:41 am I’m out
Thank fuck for that.
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

angelsighs wrote: As for myself I love the sleeve for Ladies and gents in all its forms (I wonder how it looked on cassette?)
To be fair, it kinda worked. I bought the cassette version the morning before the first time I ever seen them live
- second hand within weeks of release for £2.99 - pretty sure it had never been played.

I played that tape to death.

I won’t get rid of it though because…

O P 8
neil_jung
Known user

Post by neil_jung »

https://fb.watch/76Ht_VxYDG/

a video of them in the studio

dylan
neil_jung
Known user

Post by neil_jung »

heisenberg wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:12 pm I heard they tried to get Joe Meek for LGM too, but he was unavailable (just playing! :P)

Anyway, cannot wait to hear the new album he has said to have completed in the last year. Is it very acoustic and stripped down? Or did he become a laptop whizz and record an electronic thing? Will that cool 'A song' finally appear? Exciting.

dr john was second choice on cop shoot cop, unfortunately, mozart was previously engaged

in the interview you mention he did say he'd been to studios to work with strings, singers etc

a-song is a good example of something falling by the way side!

dylan
neil_jung
Known user

Post by neil_jung »

angelsighs wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:27 am I don't think Jason needs a producer, certainly not one who stamps their own sound on proceedings. He just needs a good engineer and someone who can translate his ideas. That said, if he did have to work with someone I reckon Daniel Lanois might be good.
the swampy sound would be interesting, ladies and gentlemen we are floating time out of mind

dylan