What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

BROKENHEART
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by BROKENHEART »

"Do you " by Ghost Woman. Apparently a multi instrumentalist Evan Uschenko from Canada . 6 music have played his last couple of singles which I really liked . This latest song is just great . Old Psych sounding with a BJM ish guitar going on in there.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

"Do you " by Ghost Woman. Apparently a multi instrumentalist Evan Uschenko from Canada . 6 music have played his last couple of singles which I really liked . This latest song is just great . Old Psych sounding with a BJM ish guitar going on in there.
I would post the YouTube video but I unsure how to load onto this site
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

New Age Doom & Lee 'Scratch' Perry - Lee 'Scratch' Perry's Guide To The Universe: I'd best describe it as Cosmic Jazz meets Dub. A few here would like this. It's only 35 minutes, so dig in: https://wearebusybodies.bandcamp.com/al ... e-universe

Endless Boogie - Admonitions: As opposed to the relatively short lp above, this album kicks off with a 22 minute opener and throws in another 22 minuter a few songs later :lol: This is EB on top form. I grinned, i had shivers down the spine and i even let out a 'YEAH!' at one point! More immediate than Vibe Killer. Top Dollar indeed :D 8) https://endlessboogie.bandcamp.com/albu ... 8ad87a6833

Dummy - Mandatory Enjoyment: Worshipping at the altar of Stereolab, Broadcast, Saloon etc :D : https://notdummy.bandcamp.com/album/man ... 9c8ce7bcf2

Gnod - La Mort Du Sens: In the same vein as 'Just Say No...', 5 songs spread a little over half an hour. Its got that grinding, repetitive Swans vibe to it. Not quite as heavy or filthy as the reviews would have you believe (are they ever? :roll: ) i definitely feel they could've pushed things a bit further. I'm sure it will be suitably punishing live though.
Transcendental Cosmic Fuck-rock played by Superfit amphetamine Visionary Poet-druids
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

sunray wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:14 pm New Age Doom & Lee 'Scratch' Perry - Lee 'Scratch' Perry's Guide To The Universe: I'd best describe it as Cosmic Jazz meets Dub. A few here would like this. It's only 35 minutes, so dig in: https://wearebusybodies.bandcamp.com/al ... e-universe
I’m definitely keen to listen to this…

Today it’s been pretty mellow as befits a Sunday. Dylan’s Nashville Skyline, Etta James At Last!, Nirvana Unplugged
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

sunray wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:14 pm New Age Doom & Lee 'Scratch' Perry - Lee 'Scratch' Perry's Guide To The Universe: I'd best describe it as Cosmic Jazz meets Dub. A few here would like this. It's only 35 minutes, so dig in: https://wearebusybodies.bandcamp.com/al ... e-universe
Woah!!! 🔥
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BzaInSpace wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:58 pm
Woah!!! 🔥
:lol: You were actually the first person i thought of when recommending this.
Transcendental Cosmic Fuck-rock played by Superfit amphetamine Visionary Poet-druids
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

some things I've been digging recently that some may enjoy:

Light Conductor- Sequence Two. Some pretty good and engaging electronic music on Constellation records. Featuring one of the members of the Besnard Lakes
https://lightconductor.bandcamp.com/

William Parker- Mayan Space Station. slight Spaceman connection here via Spring Heel Jack- electric trio improv with some really fierce playing

https://williamparker.bandcamp.com/albu ... ce-station

The Oscillation- Obscured.
a magazine review piqued my interest with this one "full-tilt groove-based freak-outs of Comets on Fure- style fury". I mean, there was no way I wasn't going to check that out was there! unfortunately that was way off to my ears. the album is a bit smoother than that suggests and even has a bit more of an electronic feel at times. However this track is definitely a highlight- is it me or is this super reminiscent of Gravity Grave by the Verve?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCZge0NC0Zw
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Interesting, if somewhat sanitized version of one of my favourite LPs of all time. I'm pretty sure the guitarist isn't Levine despite the fact that he has worked with Wobble recently.

I didn't realise The Black Dog were still active. Really excellent LP of ambient and abstract electronica.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I have that Jah Wobble album on the 'to listen to' list. I read somewhere that it isn't Keith Levene on guitar.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:23 pm I have that Jah Wobble album on the 'to listen to' list.
Short review after further listening: I'm glad I didn't pay £44 for it. :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:10 pm
sunray wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:23 pm I have that Jah Wobble album on the 'to listen to' list.
Short review after further listening: I'm glad I didn't pay £44 for it. :D
listened to the preview track of this (Poptones), and although it was quite a good retool of the song it wasn't really that dubby. I'll check out the rest regardless.
I think Wobble and Levene actually toured as 'Metal Box in Dub' a few years ago. I wonder what Levene is up to now.

I noticed that The Pop Group also released 'Y in Dub' recently and that sounded better
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:08 am The Oscillation- Obscured.
a magazine review piqued my interest with this one "full-tilt groove-based freak-outs of Comets on Fure- style fury". I mean, there was no way I wasn't going to check that out was there! unfortunately that was way off to my ears. the album is a bit smoother than that suggests and even has a bit more of an electronic feel at times.
You'd have to be very generous to equate this album with Comets On Fire. If i had to compare it to anyone it would be Loop and that's just on a couple of songs. The Oscillation are one of those bands that are consistently solid without ever reaching the heights. Like a lot of psych really i guess.
Had a listen to that Jah Wobble album today. It's decent enough but could have pushed the dub element more. On the plus side it made me realise that Poptones and Pink Lady Lemonade aren't too dissimilar!
Also chucked on Earthless' first two (Sonic Prayer and Rhythms From A Cosmic Sky) :D 8) I don't think they've ever really topped those tbh.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:43 pm
angelsighs wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:08 am The Oscillation- Obscured.
a magazine review piqued my interest with this one "full-tilt groove-based freak-outs of Comets on Fure- style fury". I mean, there was no way I wasn't going to check that out was there! unfortunately that was way off to my ears. the album is a bit smoother than that suggests and even has a bit more of an electronic feel at times.
You'd have to be very generous to equate this album with Comets On Fire. If i had to compare it to anyone it would be Loop and that's just on a couple of songs. The Oscillation are one of those bands that are consistently solid without ever reaching the heights. Like a lot of psych really i guess.
True, sometimes I wonder if music journalists are actually listening to the same album as me! but at least these days we can actually try before we buy.
Also agree on most modern psych music being serviceable- not awful, but not amazing either. Just have to find the gems.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

That's a hell of an album title, sleeve, and vinyl colour Olan!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:27 pm That's a hell of an album title, sleeve, and vinyl colour Olan!
Details are here Jon https://warrington-runcorn-cis.bandcamp ... march-1979. Really well put together primitive electronica.