What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Laz69
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by Laz69 »

This is getting a lot of play just now. I didn't think they could top their previous LP, KOMPROMAT, but this is, at very least, as good as. Final track is just outstanding. They have such a intense, groovy, relentlessness to them. Lovely blokes too :) Hope they come back to Glasgow soon.

Also, giving Galaxie 500's On Fire a good revisit since i'm off to see Dean Wareham tomorrow night play it in full! Can't Fuckin' Wait! 8) 8) 8)
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Laz69 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:53 am

This is getting a lot of play just now. I didn't think they could top their previous LP, KOMPROMAT, but this is, at very least, as good as. Final track is just outstanding. They have such a intense, groovy, relentlessness to them. Lovely blokes too :) Hope they come back to Glasgow soon.

Also, giving Galaxie 500's On Fire a good revisit since i'm off to see Dean Wareham tomorrow night play it in full! Can't Fuckin' Wait! 8) 8) 8)
Enjoying this album a lot. So much so the vinyl should land on the doorstep soon. Nice one! Time to check out KOMPROMAT

Hope the Dean Wareham gig went down well. Last weeks show in the Brudenell was really nice and they played a cracking cover of a Kraftwerk song which I cant think of the name of.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Hedspace wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:05 pm Enjoying this album a lot. So much so the vinyl should land on the doorstep soon. Nice one! Time to check out KOMPROMAT
8) Both are essential IMO.
Hedspace wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:05 pm Hope the Dean Wareham gig went down well. Last weeks show in the Brudenell was really nice and they played a cracking cover of a Kraftwerk song which I cant think of the name of.
Really really great gig. Forgot just how good Dean's guitar playing is. Smashed all the songs. Britta's take on Another Day was just gorgeous.

Had a couple of semi-drunk/lively fans to my right. Took them a while to realise that the band were playing On Fire in full, which just happened to be their favourite album ever. They were ever so happy at it and just couldn't believe they were witnessing this.
Before Dean apeared on satge, the support guy had gave a lovely thank you speech at the end of his set, thanking everyone for the opportunity, etc. on this, the last night of the tour. Dean referenced it during the set, suggesting that it might have shed a wee tear at the lovely thank you, cue the two to my right...

"...don't worry about that Dean, i've cried 3 times already during the set!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Laz69 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:17 am the band were playing On Fire in full
wow! wonderful.

i got to watch this livestream on the day, and am glad to find something that does justice to the majesty of the loud/quiet/loud grit noise dewdrop monsters-of-rock divinity:

LOW
pitchfork 2022
https://youtu.be/y5rTf7s1iN0
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Fell from the Sun - Bob Stanley & Pete Wiggs

On vinyl, indoors, with the blinds closed and the windows open.
It’s 1990.

[youtube]https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwF1 ... 1zW8XQzLry[/youtube]

B,
S
Shoulders back, smash it
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

i’m listening to this wonderful drone collection:

https://esteyfieldorgantonearchive.bandcamp.com/
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

The Jonny Halifax Invocation - 'Açid blüüs räägs vol 1'.
This album fucking blows my mind!!!
"Thank you"
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

herman wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:35 pm The Jonny Halifax Invocation - 'Açid blüüs räägs vol 1'.
Mines hasn't arrived. Notification of despatch was 2 weeks ago :( Have messaged label to see if they can help. Really looking forward to this too.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Thanks to Sunray bringing this up earlier in this thread and having really enjoyed what I heard I went for that vinyl edition immediately. This was a few months back now I think. Anyway, the actual record finally appeared last week - I was told there was pressing delays. Wonderful stuff indeed. Might be worth DMing on Bandcamp?
O P 8
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

I also ordered it and haven't received it yet. Messaged via Bandcamp and got a quick reply to say he'll look into it. Shipping seems to have been made by third company. I was also really looking forward to after such a long wait.
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

Actually, I have received it. LP had been left in a bunch of boxes at the back of my house. No idea it was there and it was only found cos my daughter decided to clear it up. Her deciding to clear anything up is a miracle in itself, nevermind finding the LP. I guess I'll be listening to it later. :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Oneida- Success: 'Their most guitar-centric, rock album in decades' goes the blurb and i'm not going to argue. It kicks off with one of the best songs i've heard in a long time, 'Beat me to the Punch'; a Velvets/Modern Lovers chugger that at 1.45 conjures up the spirit of Lou and Sterling circa 68/69 and unleashes a marvellously off-kilter guitar solo that widens the already present grin on your face and makes you want to immediately go out and form a band 8) 'I wanna Hold Your Electric Hand' is my idea of good pop, the repeating guitar motif in the second half simultaneously reminding me of Joy Division and a William Reid solo. 'Rotten' is another head-nodding-grin-inducer :D Recommended: https://oneida.bandcamp.com/album/success

Osees- A Foul Form: Osees go punk. Proper Punk. 10 tracks and 22 minutes of short, sharp, aggressive, fast and dirty goodness. My sensibilities dictate that i wished they'd pushed it further but i'm sure it's far enough for most folks! https://ohsees.bandcamp.com/album/a-foul-form-5

Thee Alcoholics- S/T: Pushing the boat out at 10 tracks and 25 minutes! Dirty, kinda sludgy, kinda punky. Hop on board if you like Part Chimp, USA/Mexico, Hey Colossus, Gnod and AmRep records. I recommend their other stuff too if this floats your boat: https://thee-alcoholics.bandcamp.com/al ... 08b165d88e
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

sunray wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:04 pm Oneida- Success: 'Their most guitar-centric, rock album in decades' goes the blurb and i'm not going to argue. It kicks off with one of the best songs i've heard in a long time, 'Beat me to the Punch'; a Velvets/Modern Lovers chugger that at 1.45 conjures up the spirit of Lou and Sterling circa 68/69 and unleashes a marvellously off-kilter guitar solo that widens the already present grin on your face and makes you want to immediately go out and form a band 8) 'I wanna Hold Your Electric Hand' is my idea of good pop, the repeating guitar motif in the second half simultaneously reminding me of Joy Division and a William Reid solo. 'Rotten' is another head-nodding-grin-inducer :D Recommended: https://oneida.bandcamp.com/album/success
Fucking hell!!! Yes!
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Laz69 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:33 am
herman wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:35 pm The Jonny Halifax Invocation - 'Açid blüüs räägs vol 1'.
Mines hasn't arrived. Notification of despatch was 2 weeks ago :( Have messaged label to see if they can help. Really looking forward to this too.
I was sent this today…

Dear Friends, Followers, Valued patrons,

Jason of God Unknown Records and myself would like to thank all you who have purchased the "Acid Blüüs Räägs : Volume 1" album. We have had a tough time getting these back from the manufacturer over the past year and really apologise for the delay in getting these records out to you.

Frustratingly, In addition to the massive delay we experienced with this record, the ones sent to EU customers have been missing in the postal system for a month, and when they finally arrived, some have slightly damaged top seams (see attached image).

We will ship your copy with the possibility of this less than perfect cosmetic condition, unless you let us know otherwise. We fully respect and honour any requests for refunds or to further wait for us to attempt source new sleeves. And if you have received a damaged copy please let us know. Contact us through the God Unknown artist page:
godunknownrecords.bandcamp.com/artists

Again our apologies about this and thanks so much for your patience.

Cheers,
Jonny and Jason

O P 8
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Yeah, i got that through from bandcamp too. Problem is, my missus ordered it for me and she can't get in touch with the label through bandcamp for some unknown reason (option to send message not clickable?). I tried, and got a message asking me to "support the band" (which i'm fuckin trying to do!) and it stops the message being sent.

I messaged Jason a few weeks back after nothing arrived after 3 weeks. He said he was going to get in touch with the distributor and get another sorted. That's been two more weeks and nothing.

Going to have to find a way to get in touch with them. Things shouldn't be this difficult. And i'll be really disappointed if i miss out on this.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Wow.
Thanks for that Jonny Halifax Invocation rec.
Listening now.
Droned out bliss.

Reminds me of EAR's Beyond the Pale album.
But heavier.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

A lot of Johnny Halifax fans it seems so let me point you in the direction of his previous outfits:

https://honkeyfinger.bandcamp.com/music If you dig lo-fi Filthy-Punk-Blues this is for you.

https://jonnyhalifaxthehowlingtruth.bandcamp.com/music A similar trip but with the Psych element well turned up and perhaps a nod to the direction he was heading towards with Invocation.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I am really kicking myself on this one as was offered to put the album out on vinyl on my label (Drone Rock Records) but just had too much on at the time to do it. Its a great album.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Really enjoying the new Black Sand album, "Above the clouds" - nice and droney and very hypnotic.

https://blacksand1.bandcamp.com/

Ste
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Fuxa covers Sonic's 'Help Me Please' https://fuxaband.bandcamp.com/track/help-me-please

A lot of interesting names involved in the new album. Scroll down the bandcamp page for all the blurb.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

sunray wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:34 pm Fuxa covers Sonic's 'Help Me Please' https://fuxaband.bandcamp.com/track/help-me-please

A lot of interesting names involved in the new album. Scroll down the bandcamp page for all the blurb.
Great to see Fuxa back, it's been a while! Shame there's no physical release.... Ha ha! I see there is a ltd 500 vinyl which can be ordered from Rocket Girl. Nice!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Oh to hear this through a big rig in a field :D :D :D
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

This exact moment it’s Earthless - Night Parade Off One Hundred Demons,
Apart from that,
The Smile - A Light For Attracting Attention,
Loop - Sonancy
Porcupine Tree - Closure/ Continuum
The Fernweh - Torschlusspanik!

Some great albums
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Dunno what the weather is like elsewhere but it's an Indian Summer day 'round these parts. Bliss.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

^^^^
That song never gets old.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Rokkenwithdokken
Known user

Post by Rokkenwithdokken »

I’ve been enjoying the sonic boom remix of a place to bury strangers love reaches out. Some Hooky New Order vibes with the bass

https://hashbrandnew.com/Artists/A+Plac ... m+Remix%29
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Sonic giving Pye Corner Audio the remix treatment over 3 tracks on a forthcoming 10".
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

ro wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:08 pm Horse Lords
The Common Task

https://horselords.bandcamp.com/album/the-common-task
Thanks ro, had completely forgotten about this record. It may have been you who originally recommended it a few years ago or maybe i read about it elsewhere, doesn't matter really. The Radiant City :D
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

oh, we have the same favorite track! Love Radiant City. And happy to help… although it’s brand new to me.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

No, not a programme that is on in the mornings in the UK, but I'm liking this track by TVAM. Don't know the band, but will check the album out when it's released in October:

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The new Comet Is Coming - it’s bloody terrific- and the last All Them Witches album, going to see them Saturday, bit of a bummer original support Slift aren’t doing this rearranged show but ATW will be bitchin’ anyway
Rokkenwithdokken
Known user

Post by Rokkenwithdokken »

New Korb album out today. Sounding good so far https://korbmusic.bandcamp.com/album/ko ... fanpub_fnb
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Listening to some VU now. Does anyone know where to find the Lou Reed 1998 American Masters dvd or streaming?
swmcsherry
Known user

Post by swmcsherry »

nghst wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:59 am Listening to some VU now. Does anyone know where to find the Lou Reed 1998 American Masters dvd or streaming?
There are a few used copies on Amazon for $10ish - couldn't find it streaming anywhere, but I might not have exhausted all possibilities!

Lou Reed: Rock and Roll Heart [DVD] htt ... co/d25LCzL
- ...if you've got a lonely heart too...

- Come on baby, stop your crying

- Don't wanna live, but I can't resist

- I would rather add some life to my years
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

It may have taken me 10 years to get around to this but I cannot stop playing:
Slipstream- Stereo Brain Mono Heart.
Everything a Spacemen/Spiritualized/Spectrum fan would want in an album.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

swmcsherry wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:49 am
nghst wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:59 am Listening to some VU now. Does anyone know where to find the Lou Reed 1998 American Masters dvd or streaming?
There are a few used copies on Amazon for $10ish - couldn't find it streaming anywhere, but I might not have exhausted all possibilities!

Lou Reed: Rock and Roll Heart [DVD] htt ... co/d25LCzL
I couldn't get this link to work for me but thank you. I found a dvd on ebay from Australia which I hope will work on my dvd player. It cost 28 bucks.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Sault - ‘Angel’ :shock:
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Bill Callahan - YTILAER: New album from Bill and it's pretty good. Some great one liners and phrasing as you would expect, plus some typical Smog/Bill musical moments. It could easily slip into dull, bland 'maturity', but, thankfully, does not. There are a few tunes that would stand up to the earlier material. I suspect a lot of folks here would dig Natural Information at least. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYLeqne ... t6VGKWfWKM

Gilla Band - Most Normal: Third LP and probably their best. They continue to get better without making any concessions to commerciality whatsoever. Harsh noise, oddball lyrics but never get tiring with it. Early Sonic Youth, Swans, The Fall and maybe some LCD spring to mind. Great live act too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKY1cs3 ... DQVxUJNLmj

Moon Duo - Live At Levitation: A great representation of the live MD experience. The first half is from 2012 as a duo and side 2 is from 2014 with the drummer. Tbh both are quality. Side 2 has better sound but there's nothing wrong with the previous side either. It's a pleasure to hear Ripley in full flight :D https://moonduo.bandcamp.com/album/moon ... nubar=true

Psychic Ills - Live At Levitation: Unfortunately i made the mistake of listening to this after Moon Duo and it just sounds so lame in comparison. Now, i've often stated here how i was never quite convinced by Psychic Ills so i might be the wrong person to judge, but this just sounds so dull. There's a real nothingness to it. Maybe genuine fans will think different: https://psychicills.bandcamp.com/?from= ... 2688516790

Bent Arcana - Live At Zebulon: John Dwyer and friends channel Can and electric era Miles. Tight, funky, jazzy grooves and some cosmic slop. I think this is a video of the album set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr1FWbRgoYQ

CAN - Live In Cuxhaven 1976: Continuing the theme of live lps, and carrying on from Bent Arcana, we get more of the same i guess. This one is way shorter than the previous Can Live outings, clocking in at only 30 minutes. Good sound quality, decent performance. The whole thing for me is dominated by Jaki Liebezeit's drumming. He really was something else, so much going on in his playing despite his minimalist reputation. It's notable that Bent Arcana had a drummer and percussionist to create a similar sound to Jaki's: https://canofficial.bandcamp.com/album/ ... haven-1976
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I felt that same about the Psychic Ills album which I was really looking forward to. It sounds rather dull, limp and Tres' vocals are off key a lot of the time. Big disappointment. The Moon Duo - which I decided not to go for - is far superior.

The new live Can release is interesting. It seems that band were capable of changing direction & set list whenever they felt like it. Pretty amazing.

I've got into a hippy rut which has been immensely enjoyable.

Color Green. A small but excellent catalogue of Dead-like tunes, nice slide, country rock etc. Their album is a candidate for my album of the year.

Sweet Peach Band. Sounds very West Coast but it's actually a bunch of Deadheads from Gothenburg. Bluesy on occasion but with a huge nod towards the Dead again. One of those 'pay what you like' Bandcamp albums so great value!

69 Deluxe. From the same Psychedelic Schafferson Jetplane/Foxtrot Sierra Chilean psych camp. More r 'n b/blues than straight psych, their album is a good listen & sufficiently different to the tripper stuff they usually got for.

Fuxa - Covered In Stars. I think most of us know about this album. It features Mark Refoy, Johnny Mattock, Dean & Britta and more. Various covers of Spectrum, Sonic's solo LP, Iggy etc. Some upbeat tunes, some ambience. It's good and a really cool pic disc.

The Nude Party. I don't much about these guys but this album is pretty enjoyable. Pop, rock, indie, 60s pastiche...

Then a load of rabdom shit that Spotify threw at me. The Moondoggies, The Donkeys, Widespread Panic, Joe Walsh solo stuff. And the usual array of noodly shit like Phish, Circles Around The Sun, Goose etc.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Finally got my copy of the Jonny Halifax Innvocation's Acid Bl​ü​ü​s R​ä​ä​gs : Vol. 1 LP after what seems like forever.

After much communication and issues with original order, Jonny himself sent me a copy and included a shirt as way of an apology. Really thankful it arrived in the end as its bloody brilliant. Swampy droney blues, fuzzed out its mind and riddled with harp and horns. Its just tremendous. I was trying to think what it sounded like last night and the best i could come up with is "the album Dreamweapon could have been" :lol:

I think it might be long sold out at source, but you might get lucky out in the wild.

https://jonnyhalifaxinvocation.bandcamp ... ke-of-fire
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Psychic Ill’s - Live At Levitation, have to say I’m enjoying this one 🤷‍♂️
aadamm
Known user

Post by aadamm »

I'm just waking up to what a talent Mac Miller was. I never paid any attention to him when he was alive, but started to slowly become aware that he seemed to be kind of an interesting guy - changing from a kind of annoying sort of bland frat rap youth into a dedicated artist constantly striving to improve. The stories about him, about him working to inspire and promote his friends, the tweet from Jay-Z... I kept on coming to Swimming, trying to connect and bouncing off it, and today it finally properly clicked and I'm really glad I persevered. This "Dunno" track is a legit beautiful reflection on a lost relationship.

Ladders: https://youtu.be/0gzmFo8UiJQ

Dunno https://youtu.be/61Lmk2k542k

NPR Tiny Desk: https://youtu.be/QrR_gm6RqCo
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Jerry Lee Lewis - Live At The Star Club, Hamburg 1964: After his recent passing i figured it was time i finally got around to listening to this album that has received much praise here over the years. I can see why too. You can almost feel the sweat dripping off the walls and ceiling :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQfUeLU ... Pn7GWpt8K7

Wand - Spiders In The Rain: Had no idea they'd any releases on the horizon so this was a pleasant discovery. Live album culled together from various shows as far as i can make out. Thick, fuzzed out riffs, nice keyboard atmospherics, Dead-like guitar and occasionally some Sonic Youth noodling. I got goosebumps a couple of times. The band stretch out a lot of the tunes and i find myself asking the same question i always do in relation to Wand; "Why aren't this lot bigger?"

Tau & The Drones Of Praise - Misneach: Shaun Mulrooney has always incorporated folk/sacred music from around the world in Tau and with his return to Ireland he's focusing on Irish folk with this one. Not really my cuppa usually and i can't see myself returning to this too often. However, i have had the opening track lodged in my head for a day or two now. Plus, i was at the album launch gig last week and all the songs sounded much better live so i will continue to attend their gigs anyway. https://tauandthedronesofpraise.bandcam ... m/misneach

Goat - Oh Death: Clocking in at under 35mins this flies by. I keep hearing how their sound hasn't evolved but i think every album is different. Sure the differences may be marginal but they are clearly there.This album has the usual funk/afro grooves, but whatever members are involved with Djinn they have brought their influence to bear on this lp with some free jazz skronk and a spacey final track that's reminiscent of Laraaji. Great production too; clear and punchy. Although one of the songs has the dreaded Thin Lizzy twin guitar so they lose marks for that. I probably still like the third album most though. https://goat.bandcamp.com/album/oh-death

Abraxas - Monte Carlo: Main dude from Night Beats teams up with the former Los Bitchos guitarist. There's all sorts going on here; Western twang, latin vibes, some psych. Probably a bit too lightweight for me but I suspect it would make most sense on a hot summers day with friends and refreshments. https://abraxasintl.bandcamp.com/releases
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

sunray wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:06 pm Jerry Lee Lewis - Live At The Star Club, Hamburg 1964: After his recent passing i figured it was time i finally got around to listening to this album that has received much praise here over the years. I can see why too. You can almost feel the sweat dripping off the walls and ceiling :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQfUeLU ... Pn7GWpt8K7
YES! Exactly what I was playing last night and today also as loud as I could. It’s unbelievably good. On fire…

Many thanks for the other recommendations, this board and its contributors are awesome.
O P 8
swmcsherry
Known user

Post by swmcsherry »

sunray wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:06 pm Wand - Spiders In The Rain: Had no idea they'd any releases on the horizon so this was a pleasant discovery. Live album culled together from various shows as far as i can make out. Thick, fuzzed out riffs, nice keyboard atmospherics, Dead-like guitar and occasionally some Sonic Youth noodling. I got goosebumps a couple of times. The band stretch out a lot of the tunes and i find myself asking the same question i always do in relation to Wand; "Why aren't this lot bigger?"
Listening to some Wand lately too. I really dig their sound - and, of course, they just finished up a bunch of U.S. tour dates 🤦‍♀️

ro
Known user

Post by ro »

wow.
i am listening to the Swan Silvertones and they are just marvelous. I found an old note-to-self about them and finally looked them up. And I see they’re on some spiritualized lists, so extra bonus! beautiful gospel sounds.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCbjjqxWjPW203shmP_B2p1Q
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Been listening to this Godspeed gig for a few weeks now. From earlier this year, but with same set list as the recent Glasgow show. Decent recording that really captures the volume and intensity of their shows.

https://archive.org/details/gybe2022-04 ... 061.flac24

The version of Cliffs on this just blows my mind... 8)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Shit & Shine - Confusion: Bookended by two very different but very good tracks. Opener 'Annoyed' is a driving, droning, distorted instrumental that ideally would be listened to at maximum volume whilst staring into a strobe. I'd like it a bit heavier but that's just me. The closing tune 'Robbed' is the kind of thing S&S does so well; a slightly sinister, simmering undercurrent of menace before all hell breaks loose. It plods along for 90 seconds or so with some vocal sample from god knows what, then the guitar kicks in and we get transported into that zone that occurs on day two of an intense binge. A whacked-out, woozy vibe where things are starting to get weird and physical/mental collapse is a distinct possibility. The rest of the album has its moments, some songs being better than others, but it's the two tracks mentioned that i can't stop listening to. https://shitandshine.bandcamp.com/album ... &tab=merch

Dhidalah - Sensoria: Japanese trio on GuruGuruBrain. Nice slice of psych/space rock over 4 tracks. First song had me slightly worried as the guitar was a bit too clean and 70s rock for my ears but then the heavy fuzzed riff kicked in and all was ok. Track 2 is essentially Spliff Riff :shock: Never thought i'd hear someone directly copying The Heads but here it is. The rest of the album is decent too, ending with a 20 minuter that goes through multiple changes of pace and power. Definitely worth a listen i would say. https://dhidalahggb.bandcamp.com/?from= ... nubar=true

Petbrick - Liminal: Industrial noise, AFX-isms, techno, hip-hop and some quiter interludes all propelled by Iggor Cavalera's drumming. One of those for when you want a good slap around the chops or blowing away cobwebs, but definitely not for a hangover. https://petbrick.bandcamp.com/album/liminal
swmcsherry
Known user

Post by swmcsherry »

A CD I got for $.50 at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore - unlabeled Massive Attack "Teardrop" mixes. Got it for fun, to see if the CD player in my car still works! It does.

(Although...20+ years ago, I got a speeding ticket for almost $200 while listening to them in the car, and a couple of years later got into a car-totaling accident while listening to them. I didn't even realize that's what was in the CD player 'til I pried it out. So, maybe I should save this one for home listening only 😬)
Screenshot_20221105-103254_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20221105-103254_Photos.jpg (311.68 KiB) Viewed 27364 times

aadamm
Known user

Post by aadamm »

That's from the boxed set, I had that: https://www.discogs.com/release/57000-M ... ngles-9098
swmcsherry
Known user

Post by swmcsherry »

aadamm wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:14 pm That's from the boxed set, I had that: https://www.discogs.com/release/57000-M ... ngles-9098
Oh cool, thanks! Figured it had to be a set of some kind...the sleeve design was weird, pastel-y colors with a fork & knife and stuff, so I was hoping someone like Engelbert Humperdinck hadn't done a song called "Teardrop" that was later remixed 🤣

slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

sunray wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:04 pm Oneida- Success: 'Their most guitar-centric, rock album in decades' goes the blurb and i'm not going to argue. It kicks off with one of the best songs i've heard in a long time, 'Beat me to the Punch'; a Velvets/Modern Lovers chugger that at 1.45 conjures up the spirit of Lou and Sterling circa 68/69 and unleashes a marvellously off-kilter guitar solo that widens the already present grin on your face and makes you want to immediately go out and form a band 8) 'I wanna Hold Your Electric Hand' is my idea of good pop, the repeating guitar motif in the second half simultaneously reminding me of Joy Division and a William Reid solo. 'Rotten' is another head-nodding-grin-inducer :D Recommended: https://oneida.bandcamp.com/album/success
loving this! had to immediately find it after reading this. thank you!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Fucking Hell!!! :D 8)
This gig illustrates why i think they should give it up. They've not come anywhere close for years but shows like these were once a regular occurrence.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Among others :

-Spencer Collum's Coin Collection - s/t
-Cal Tjader- Putting it together
-Funkadelic - Free your mind
-Sault - Air

And after a long time again: Spiritualized:
'Songs in a & e' , forgot what great songs it contains :
- sweet talk (the cracked voice)
- death take your fiddle (the claustrophobic atmosphere)
- yeah yeah (dope joy!)
-you lie you cheat ( the anger)
"Thank you"
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Currently trying to get my head round the 40 min opening track on Richard Dawson’s new album, The Hermit, 5/6 listens since last Friday and it’s a strange one even by his standards :shock:
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

herman wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:59 pm -Spencer Collum's Coin Collection - s/t
-
Cracking album this isn't it? A gem find of recent years for me
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Duke Garwood - Rogue's Gospel: I know nothing about Duke outside of his Mark Lanegan collaboration but a review of this piqued my interest. I suspect a lot of you Lanegan fans would enjoy this. Mellow, bluesy and spacious in the main, the biggest drawback is that i can easily hear Lanegan's voice all over it. I'll be returning to it. https://dukegarwood.bandcamp.com/?label ... ab=artists

Monster Magnet - Test Patterns Vol.1: Two versions of Tab, the original demo and a John McBain remix of the demo. If you know Tab you'll know what to expect. If you don't, well...it's a 25 minute epic of fuzzed riffs, wah abuse, effects and Dave Wyndorf's babblings all set to an unchanging slow-mid tempo beat. Stooges meets the Buttholes. It is PROPER FUCKING PSYCH!!! 8) https://godunknownrecords.bandcamp.com/ ... nubar=true

Thee U.F.O - Ponderous Fug: Ireland's answer to The Oh Sees. Not bad but nowt you've not heard before. https://theeufo.bandcamp.com/album/ponderous-fug

Breanna Barbara - Nothin' But Time: Bluesy psych pop perhaps? Vocals remind me of Florence and Beth Orton but i could be way off track there. The first half i was pleasantly surprised by but it tails off towards the end. Will need more listens. https://breannabarbara.bandcamp.com/

Horse Lords - Comradely Objects: I dunno how you'd describe Horse Lords but it's a sound that's tight and repetitive and quite hypnotic at times but not po faced. They do not object to fun. https://horselords.bandcamp.com/album/c ... nubar=true
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

these two gems

annisteen allen with the lucky millinder orchestra
let it roll
https://youtu.be/df2IrFCICpY

vanita smythe
they raided the joint
https://youtu.be/Qu84tD5UhiM
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

All Those Witches- been releasing a song a month this yr and been sticking them in a playlist, wouldn’t call it an album as such but it’s a shit load of interesting sounds that you might not have heard If they’d worked the material into a more digestible album type format, some really good stuff,
The Cure- Lot of The Cure the last few weeks before seeing them this weekend, looking forward to this,

Les Big Byrd- Eternal Light Brigade this sneaked out slightly under the Radar last Friday an it’s bloody brilliant, another couple of weeks for a physical release as seems the way these days, strange times folks,
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

niamhm wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:31 pm The Cure- Lot of The Cure the last few weeks before seeing them this weekend, looking forward to this,
Very good in Dublin tonight Gary. I wasn't really in the humour beforehand but they managed to turn me around. One of the new songs really worked for me i must say. About 4 or 5 songs in. In fact that's where the gig really got started imo. Noticeably louder from that song on.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Boldy James & Sterling Toles - Manger on McNicholls

Honestly this is an absolutely mindblowing LP. It was released in 2020, but Boldy James did the vocals about 10 years ago, and Sterling Toles, the producer, has been tinkering with it, adding live instrumentation, leaving and going back to it, and finally deemed it worthy of release in 2020.

It's like some kind of mutant space jazz mixed with hip hop and God knows what else. The MCing is dark, monotonous and deeply personal. "Mother Dearest (a eulogy)" has to be heard to be believed.

Everything Boldy James has released since about 2020 has been fantastic, enough to put him up there in the absolute top tier of hip hop as far as I'm concerned, he's released four excellent LPs this year alone.

But this one is the best and by far the least conventional.

https://youtu.be/FVrTl0owdmU
aadamm
Known user

Post by aadamm »

https://youtu.be/1jYTmSH6n_w

I regularly forget the name of this song & band but it rips. I love it.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I reckon anyone having a session or two over the next week should give this mix an airing at some point in the proceedings. I wouldn't be into all of it but there's enough to do the job. More for the dancers than chinstrokers.