What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Laz69
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by Laz69 »

This is getting a lot of play just now. I didn't think they could top their previous LP, KOMPROMAT, but this is, at very least, as good as. Final track is just outstanding. They have such a intense, groovy, relentlessness to them. Lovely blokes too :) Hope they come back to Glasgow soon.

Also, giving Galaxie 500's On Fire a good revisit since i'm off to see Dean Wareham tomorrow night play it in full! Can't Fuckin' Wait! 8) 8) 8)
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Laz69 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:53 am

This is getting a lot of play just now. I didn't think they could top their previous LP, KOMPROMAT, but this is, at very least, as good as. Final track is just outstanding. They have such a intense, groovy, relentlessness to them. Lovely blokes too :) Hope they come back to Glasgow soon.

Also, giving Galaxie 500's On Fire a good revisit since i'm off to see Dean Wareham tomorrow night play it in full! Can't Fuckin' Wait! 8) 8) 8)
Enjoying this album a lot. So much so the vinyl should land on the doorstep soon. Nice one! Time to check out KOMPROMAT

Hope the Dean Wareham gig went down well. Last weeks show in the Brudenell was really nice and they played a cracking cover of a Kraftwerk song which I cant think of the name of.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Hedspace wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:05 pm Enjoying this album a lot. So much so the vinyl should land on the doorstep soon. Nice one! Time to check out KOMPROMAT
8) Both are essential IMO.
Hedspace wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:05 pm Hope the Dean Wareham gig went down well. Last weeks show in the Brudenell was really nice and they played a cracking cover of a Kraftwerk song which I cant think of the name of.
Really really great gig. Forgot just how good Dean's guitar playing is. Smashed all the songs. Britta's take on Another Day was just gorgeous.

Had a couple of semi-drunk/lively fans to my right. Took them a while to realise that the band were playing On Fire in full, which just happened to be their favourite album ever. They were ever so happy at it and just couldn't believe they were witnessing this.
Before Dean apeared on satge, the support guy had gave a lovely thank you speech at the end of his set, thanking everyone for the opportunity, etc. on this, the last night of the tour. Dean referenced it during the set, suggesting that it might have shed a wee tear at the lovely thank you, cue the two to my right...

"...don't worry about that Dean, i've cried 3 times already during the set!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Laz69 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:17 am the band were playing On Fire in full
wow! wonderful.

i got to watch this livestream on the day, and am glad to find something that does justice to the majesty of the loud/quiet/loud grit noise dewdrop monsters-of-rock divinity:

LOW
pitchfork 2022
https://youtu.be/y5rTf7s1iN0
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Fell from the Sun - Bob Stanley & Pete Wiggs

On vinyl, indoors, with the blinds closed and the windows open.
It’s 1990.

[youtube]https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwF1 ... 1zW8XQzLry[/youtube]

B,
S
Aim to do at least two positive things each day
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

i’m listening to this wonderful drone collection:

https://esteyfieldorgantonearchive.bandcamp.com/
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

The Jonny Halifax Invocation - 'Açid blüüs räägs vol 1'.
This album fucking blows my mind!!!
"Thank you"
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

herman wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:35 pm The Jonny Halifax Invocation - 'Açid blüüs räägs vol 1'.
Mines hasn't arrived. Notification of despatch was 2 weeks ago :( Have messaged label to see if they can help. Really looking forward to this too.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Thanks to Sunray bringing this up earlier in this thread and having really enjoyed what I heard I went for that vinyl edition immediately. This was a few months back now I think. Anyway, the actual record finally appeared last week - I was told there was pressing delays. Wonderful stuff indeed. Might be worth DMing on Bandcamp?
O P 8
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

I also ordered it and haven't received it yet. Messaged via Bandcamp and got a quick reply to say he'll look into it. Shipping seems to have been made by third company. I was also really looking forward to after such a long wait.
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

Actually, I have received it. LP had been left in a bunch of boxes at the back of my house. No idea it was there and it was only found cos my daughter decided to clear it up. Her deciding to clear anything up is a miracle in itself, nevermind finding the LP. I guess I'll be listening to it later. :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Oneida- Success: 'Their most guitar-centric, rock album in decades' goes the blurb and i'm not going to argue. It kicks off with one of the best songs i've heard in a long time, 'Beat me to the Punch'; a Velvets/Modern Lovers chugger that at 1.45 conjures up the spirit of Lou and Sterling circa 68/69 and unleashes a marvellously off-kilter guitar solo that widens the already present grin on your face and makes you want to immediately go out and form a band 8) 'I wanna Hold Your Electric Hand' is my idea of good pop, the repeating guitar motif in the second half simultaneously reminding me of Joy Division and a William Reid solo. 'Rotten' is another head-nodding-grin-inducer :D Recommended: https://oneida.bandcamp.com/album/success

Osees- A Foul Form: Osees go punk. Proper Punk. 10 tracks and 22 minutes of short, sharp, aggressive, fast and dirty goodness. My sensibilities dictate that i wished they'd pushed it further but i'm sure it's far enough for most folks! https://ohsees.bandcamp.com/album/a-foul-form-5

Thee Alcoholics- S/T: Pushing the boat out at 10 tracks and 25 minutes! Dirty, kinda sludgy, kinda punky. Hop on board if you like Part Chimp, USA/Mexico, Hey Colossus, Gnod and AmRep records. I recommend their other stuff too if this floats your boat: https://thee-alcoholics.bandcamp.com/al ... 08b165d88e
I write what I write and I wait for reality to align with it.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

sunray wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:04 pm Oneida- Success: 'Their most guitar-centric, rock album in decades' goes the blurb and i'm not going to argue. It kicks off with one of the best songs i've heard in a long time, 'Beat me to the Punch'; a Velvets/Modern Lovers chugger that at 1.45 conjures up the spirit of Lou and Sterling circa 68/69 and unleashes a marvellously off-kilter guitar solo that widens the already present grin on your face and makes you want to immediately go out and form a band 8) 'I wanna Hold Your Electric Hand' is my idea of good pop, the repeating guitar motif in the second half simultaneously reminding me of Joy Division and a William Reid solo. 'Rotten' is another head-nodding-grin-inducer :D Recommended: https://oneida.bandcamp.com/album/success
Fucking hell!!! Yes!
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Laz69 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:33 am
herman wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:35 pm The Jonny Halifax Invocation - 'Açid blüüs räägs vol 1'.
Mines hasn't arrived. Notification of despatch was 2 weeks ago :( Have messaged label to see if they can help. Really looking forward to this too.
I was sent this today…

Dear Friends, Followers, Valued patrons,

Jason of God Unknown Records and myself would like to thank all you who have purchased the "Acid Blüüs Räägs : Volume 1" album. We have had a tough time getting these back from the manufacturer over the past year and really apologise for the delay in getting these records out to you.

Frustratingly, In addition to the massive delay we experienced with this record, the ones sent to EU customers have been missing in the postal system for a month, and when they finally arrived, some have slightly damaged top seams (see attached image).

We will ship your copy with the possibility of this less than perfect cosmetic condition, unless you let us know otherwise. We fully respect and honour any requests for refunds or to further wait for us to attempt source new sleeves. And if you have received a damaged copy please let us know. Contact us through the God Unknown artist page:
godunknownrecords.bandcamp.com/artists

Again our apologies about this and thanks so much for your patience.

Cheers,
Jonny and Jason

O P 8
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Yeah, i got that through from bandcamp too. Problem is, my missus ordered it for me and she can't get in touch with the label through bandcamp for some unknown reason (option to send message not clickable?). I tried, and got a message asking me to "support the band" (which i'm fuckin trying to do!) and it stops the message being sent.

I messaged Jason a few weeks back after nothing arrived after 3 weeks. He said he was going to get in touch with the distributor and get another sorted. That's been two more weeks and nothing.

Going to have to find a way to get in touch with them. Things shouldn't be this difficult. And i'll be really disappointed if i miss out on this.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Wow.
Thanks for that Jonny Halifax Invocation rec.
Listening now.
Droned out bliss.

Reminds me of EAR's Beyond the Pale album.
But heavier.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

A lot of Johnny Halifax fans it seems so let me point you in the direction of his previous outfits:

https://honkeyfinger.bandcamp.com/music If you dig lo-fi Filthy-Punk-Blues this is for you.

https://jonnyhalifaxthehowlingtruth.bandcamp.com/music A similar trip but with the Psych element well turned up and perhaps a nod to the direction he was heading towards with Invocation.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I am really kicking myself on this one as was offered to put the album out on vinyl on my label (Drone Rock Records) but just had too much on at the time to do it. Its a great album.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Really enjoying the new Black Sand album, "Above the clouds" - nice and droney and very hypnotic.

https://blacksand1.bandcamp.com/

Ste
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Fuxa covers Sonic's 'Help Me Please' https://fuxaband.bandcamp.com/track/help-me-please

A lot of interesting names involved in the new album. Scroll down the bandcamp page for all the blurb.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

sunray wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:34 pm Fuxa covers Sonic's 'Help Me Please' https://fuxaband.bandcamp.com/track/help-me-please

A lot of interesting names involved in the new album. Scroll down the bandcamp page for all the blurb.
Great to see Fuxa back, it's been a while! Shame there's no physical release.... Ha ha! I see there is a ltd 500 vinyl which can be ordered from Rocket Girl. Nice!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Oh to hear this through a big rig in a field :D :D :D
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

This exact moment it’s Earthless - Night Parade Off One Hundred Demons,
Apart from that,
The Smile - A Light For Attracting Attention,
Loop - Sonancy
Porcupine Tree - Closure/ Continuum
The Fernweh - Torschlusspanik!

Some great albums
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Dunno what the weather is like elsewhere but it's an Indian Summer day 'round these parts. Bliss.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

^^^^
That song never gets old.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Rokkenwithdokken
New user

Post by Rokkenwithdokken »

I’ve been enjoying the sonic boom remix of a place to bury strangers love reaches out. Some Hooky New Order vibes with the bass

https://hashbrandnew.com/Artists/A+Plac ... m+Remix%29
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Sonic giving Pye Corner Audio the remix treatment over 3 tracks on a forthcoming 10".
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

ro wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:08 pm Horse Lords
The Common Task

https://horselords.bandcamp.com/album/the-common-task
Thanks ro, had completely forgotten about this record. It may have been you who originally recommended it a few years ago or maybe i read about it elsewhere, doesn't matter really. The Radiant City :D
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

oh, we have the same favorite track! Love Radiant City. And happy to help… although it’s brand new to me.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

No, not a programme that is on in the mornings in the UK, but I'm liking this track by TVAM. Don't know the band, but will check the album out when it's released in October:

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The new Comet Is Coming - it’s bloody terrific- and the last All Them Witches album, going to see them Saturday, bit of a bummer original support Slift aren’t doing this rearranged show but ATW will be bitchin’ anyway
Rokkenwithdokken
New user

Post by Rokkenwithdokken »

New Korb album out today. Sounding good so far https://korbmusic.bandcamp.com/album/ko ... fanpub_fnb