new Radiohead feb 19

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Kurious Oranj
Known user

new Radiohead feb 19

Post by Kurious Oranj »

TheWarmth
Known user

Re: new Radiohead feb 19

Post by TheWarmth »

Ahhh ... here comes another 10 page thread. This should be good.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

hope it aint shiiiiit. last one was top.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Hail To The Thief was so bad that it made me question why I'd ever liked Radiohead, but In Rainbows was good enough to make me reconsider. Let's hope they expand on the grooves and maturity of that record, without any of the lazy warmed-over retreads from the previous one.

"The King of Limbs" -- worst album title since "United Nations of Sound"?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

jadams: the only thing that I agree with in your post is the fact that In Rainbows is a better record that Hail To The Thief. It has always struck me as extremely odd that a lot of Radiohead fans dislike HTTT. Yes, it's a tad too long, but otherwise, I think it's excellent.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

TheWarmth wrote:jadams: the only thing that I agree with in your post is the fact that In Rainbows is a better record that Hail To The Thief. It has always struck me as extremely odd that a lot of Radiohead fans dislike HTTT. Yes, it's a tad too long, but otherwise, I think it's excellent.
I'll freely concede that my distaste for HTTT is partially rooted in high expectations I had for the record after really loving Kid A and Amnesiac. I am rather fond of There There and Drunken Punch Up, both of which are among my favorite Radiohead songs. But there's a lot of dross on HTTT as well, and I remember being stunned by the overwhelmingly positive reviews it received at the time -- many of which have been walked back over the years.

2+2=5 has always struck me as a dull rehash of Lewis from My Iron Lung, Sit Down Stand Up is clumsy and one-dimensional, Sail To The Moon and I Will are like shrill parodies of Thom Yorke's most easily lampooned excesses, Go To Sleep was decent live but there's something listless about the album version, We Suck Young Blood is a ridiculous & humorless cartoon that's certainly the worst thing they ever recorded, and Scatterbrain is a tuneless mess. Even some of the better songs, like The Gloaming and Wolf at the Door, suffer from lyrical excess that falls flat.

Overall, there are too many moments of desperation and a general whiff of creative exhaustion about the record -- which also seemed palpable in their live shows at the time. They should have released an EP and either saved the extra tracks for b-sides or reworked them in later releases. I was very surprised and pleased when In Rainbows was as good it was -- definitely one of the great comebacks of recent years, in my opinion. And they gave it away!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Sail To The Moon and I Will are like shrill parodies of Thom Yorke's most easily lampooned excesses, Go To Sleep was decent live but there's something listless about the album
All down to taste but Sail To The Moon is one of my fav. Radiohead track gorgeous , and to call the tracks you don`t like "dross " is stretching it a bit surely? I like HTTT anyway ,

well surprised by todays announcement and looking to forward to hearing whats in store :)
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

I kinda liked their earlier stuff (before they realized that guitars were bad things) but I've been severely disinterested these last few years. That video with the giant Thom Yorke kind of creeped me out... :twisted:
Something Wicked That Way Goes...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

'Kid A' is my favorite...I love how they did a complete u-turn after "OK Computer". At the time it seemed so far removed from the other albums yet, on reflection, it has some of their greatest and most clever compositions. Not a bad tune on it and as a whole it really is near perfect. 'Optimistic', 'Morning Bell' and 'How to Disappear Completely' are just phenomenal songs. 'In Rainbows' is the closest they have come to 'Kid A's' near perfection. Some beautiful songs on that album too.

I too was put off by HTTT when it first came out. So much so that I didn't listen to it again for years but when 'In Rainbows' came out I thought it was only fair to revisit HTTT and was surprisingly won over. It's definitely a patchy album but not as bad as I once thought.

In my opinion the worst album in their back catalog is 'Amnesiac'. That one always came across as half baked ideas or outtakes to 'Kid A'. The songs just do not seem fully realized at all.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Not taking into account Pablo Honey, I agree with RedCloud that Amnesiac is the weakest and I'd definitely take HTTT over that one. Some of the songs jadams mentioned as "dross" I enjoy quite a bit. "Scatterbrain" is a lost Radiohead classic (probably because it's the penultimate song on an album that's at least three songs too long). It's melodic, simple, understated and meticulously crafted. To call it a "mess" is ridiculous. "We Suck Young Blood" is not humorless. It's a rare example of Radiohead being goofy and poking fun at themselves. "Sail To The Moon" is gorgeous. I just don't understand how anyone that appreciate so much of the band's catalog can also write all of these gems off. Oh well. I could live without "I Will," despite Thom's impressive vocal performance, so we can agree on that.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

But, we can all agree on the beauty of 'Faust Arp' & 'Reckoner'. HTTT doesn't reach the heights of songs like these but then again, not much does. I think they are genius and rest no shame admitting it.
floydbarber
New user

Post by floydbarber »

Damn it I thought this thread was feb 19th 2011.

Amnesiac is awesome though. Life in a glass house is the best Radiohead closer bar none.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Just can't get into them. Enjoying the read though, walked out twice on them in concert.

B,

M
Design.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

for anyone who cant click with HTTT, i'd recommend checking this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFjAWhY1Amg&feature=fvst
i always felt that record was kinda cold and overly calculated, and it took hearing them live to bring them to life. of course, it helped being there in person. if that doesnt do it, give up.

amnesiac... yeah, i think that outtakes/half-baked thing was part of the idea. arent they supposed to be 'lost songs' or something? having said that, i never liked knives out. that whole atonal guitar thing they started doing at this point just irritated me. seemed like jonny was trying too hard to be unconventional. however, i LOVE 'i might be wrong', 'pulk/pull', 'like spinning plates'. amazing!

i like in rainbows largely because it feels more alive/warm (than say HTTT). i think that they're at their best when they try to keep things sounding fresh like this (or at least retain the live feel in the production). just look at the bends, very punchy and live sounding. this should speak for itself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jmBdQnZIAc

Sure 'kid a' was anything but live but then it felt like a lot of love went into their meticulous production.

fingers crossed the new one is good. more guitars please!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

redcloud wrote:'Kid A' is my favorite...I love how they did a complete u-turn after "OK Computer". At the time it seemed so far removed from the other albums yet, on reflection, it has some of their greatest and most clever compositions. Not a bad tune on it and as a whole it really is near perfect. 'Optimistic', 'Morning Bell' and 'How to Disappear Completely' are just phenomenal songs. 'In Rainbows' is the closest they have come to 'Kid A's' near perfection. Some beautiful songs on that album too.

I too was put off by HTTT when it first came out. So much so that I didn't listen to it again for years but when 'In Rainbows' came out I thought it was only fair to revisit HTTT and was surprisingly won over. It's definitely a patchy album but not as bad as I once thought.

In my opinion the worst album in their back catalog is 'Amnesiac'. That one always came across as half baked ideas or outtakes to 'Kid A'. The songs just do not seem fully realized at all.
I tend to agree that Kid A is probably their best, though I love a lot of Amnesiac. It's just as thrown together as HTTT, but the production is great and something about it just clicks. I tend to be a fan of odds 'n' sods records, and Amnesiac strikes me as mostly great material that natural fits into a jumble, while HTTT mixes good stuff with tracks that are just lacking something. (I listened again last night, and will concede that maybe I was a little harsh -- Backdrifts and Myxomatosis, which hadn't really spoken to me in the past, both hit me last night. I stand by saying that HTTT is their worst LP though)

I really like the immaturity and straightforwardness of Pablo Honey. Whenever Radiohead try to be "political," it strikes me that they are trying to dress up good old-fashioned teenage angst into something "intellectual" while actually reprising the basic themes of "Creep" and "Prove Yourself" over and over again. I appreciate that Pablo Honey and, to a lesser extent, The Bends are straightforwardly about the guys' insecurity and social awkwardness rather than pretending to be about technology or trade policy or whatever.

I'm probably in the minority on this one, but to me OK Computer is comparable to Ladies and Gents in terms of being a middling LP that gets too much praise and attention relative to their other stuff. There's material I really like on OKC, but the production is a little too cold (and not in the sublime way of Kid A and Amnesiac) and I don't particularly care for Airbag. Karma Police, and a number of other songs. I guess it's the middle ground between the Bends and their later stuff but I prefer either pole to OKC, which seems like an awkward compromise to me.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

the best thing they did was pablo honey! ; )
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I like HTTT better than anything they did before it... I just like'em, even Pablo Honey.
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

Despite having one or two weaker numbers on there and that maybe it could be trimmed a tad, HTTT is my favourite album of theirs. There's something about the eerie sound on that album that I love.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The new album is available to download now. I guess they bumped up the digital release by one day. I have it on my iPod now and am looking forward to the morning train ride.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

TheWarmth wrote:The new album is available to download now. I guess they bumped up the digital release by one day. I have it on my iPod now and am looking forward to the morning train ride.
Thanks for the early morning heads up on this. Downloaded and ready for my morning commute as well.

Just making sure it downloaded everything...8 tracks, right?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yep. The album is a lean 8 tracks, 37 minutes. Let me know what you think.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

So far, it sounds atrocious. Of course, it might grow on me.

Is this really the work of 5 people? It just sounds like Thom Yorke's solo album, except with even less tunes.

I had a horrible premonition about this new album being a bit dull when These Are My Twisted Words came out.

And what's with the dancing?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I had a feeling it would get wildly mixed reactions after my first listen this morning. So far I think it's badass. They drumming is fantastic (the drum tones are to die for) and I love all the crazy, experimental shit. There are countless melody-driven, guitar-based Radiohead songs, but a lot of people seem to still want more of that from them. I'm certainly not going to complain.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

I think it just sounds like the Amnesiac/HTTT B-sides. The lesser ones, where they didn't seem too bothered if they were really self-indulgent. Did it really take 4 years to make this? Or are all those people who bought the 'newspaper' going to get more music?

I really only like Separator so far. But that's sounding a bit like House of Cards to my ears.

It might grow on me, but I don't think I'll ever be crazy about it.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

"Codex" really stuck out to me. That one is jaw-dropping. I didn't think that much of "Separator," and was hoping for a more dramatic conclusion to the album, but I've only given it one listen. Wish I didn't have a full day of work ahead of me. Bleh.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

radioshack wrote:
Is this really the work of 5 people? It just sounds like Thom Yorke's solo album, except with even less tunes.
Well, this was exactly my first thought. That said, I have only listened to the first 4-5 tracks. No judgments before I give it proper attention and more than one listen.
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

radioshack wrote:I had a horrible premonition about this new album being a bit dull when These Are My Twisted Words came out.
I loved TAMTW :D

About to take the plunge with the new album.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

I guess the song is okay? The video is really horrible. That killed it for me. Not buying it. Just don't care anymore. Sorry for the buzz-kill.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

You didn't like the video so now you're not interested in the album? I don't follow. Anyway, I've been listening to this over and over since I got off work. This is prime example of a rhythm section on FIRE. Shit is badass. I love it.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

TheWarmth wrote:You didn't like the video so now you're not interested in the album? I don't follow. Anyway, I've been listening to this over and over since I got off work. This is prime example of a rhythm section on FIRE. Shit is badass. I love it.
The song is mediocre and frankly I just don't care anymore...that's all. The song sounds like the same ol' shit and the video really sucks. How you talk about the rhythm section on FIRE is very intriguing to me and all but I'll guess I'll never know because I have no intention of buying it.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

Cleansed is how I feel after listening to this album.
Thumbs up from me.
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

At first glance the album appears very sparse and minimal, but keep listening and you begin to hear so much texture.
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

I was a late starter with Radiohead - Kid A being the first album I bought and truly listened to so the more abstract/electronica R/H is the marker stone for me .I do own the previous 3 but they rarely get a play anymore - whereas all that came after get regular play.
Personally I would rate this (after 2nd listen) up with Kid A and Amnesiac as my favourite albums and can't see it being far from my cd player for a while yet.Roll on the vinyl

Be good if speculation about a "part 2" to this record is correct
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Listening to it again this morning...didn't get the chance to do so last night. "Little by Little", "Give Up The Ghost" and "Seperator" really nailed me this time. But, I still feel like I need more time with it for it to truly register. Being a public service employee means I have a three day weekend so will get that chance between now and Monday. :D

I agree with olliemorr's comment that the more you sink your teeth into it the more you discover. It's definitely coming to life for me now but I think I have shortchanged my listening experience by downloading the mp3 file. It feels like it's missing some of the grandiosity of the instrumentation through the file compression. It sounds a tad one-dimensional when an album like this needs to be three-dimensional and filling the space it inhabits.
eelnekwah wrote:Personally I would rate this (after 2nd listen) up with Kid A and Amnesiac as my favourite albums and can't see it being far from my cd player for a while yet.Roll on the vinyl
This seems a bit premature...the album only just came out and you have had years with the previous records. It's like meeting a new friend....you need time with each other to allow for an honest, two-way relationship to develop.
Multi wrote:Dude, you need to put on a Led Zeppelin album to remind yourself as to what a rhythm section on fire is all about.
What a ridiculously flippant comment. He was talking about the unison between the bass, drums and percussive instruments. This is what drives pretty much the entire album.
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

This seems a bit premature...the album only just came out and you have had years with the previous records. It's like meeting a new friend....you need time with each other to allow for an honest, two-way relationship to develop.
Fair comment to make Redcloud - I see your point of view
My reaction to the new album was based on the fact that I instantly got "it" .Not a bum track on it for my ears - no reaching for the skip button.
Looking forward to really getting to know this friend :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Multi wrote:
As you shouldn't:[content deleted due to copyright reasons]
BUSTED! Funny that.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

redcloud wrote:Listening to it again this morning...didn't get the chance to do so last night. "Little by Little", "Give Up The Ghost" and "Seperator" really nailed me this time. But, I still feel like I need more time with it for it to truly register. Being a public service employee means I have a three day weekend so will get that chance between now and Monday. :D
I agree with this-totally the same experience I've had with the record. Blame the vomitting bug I had on Friday, or the fact I was listening to it through a laptop (usually a no-no for me), I'm a misery guts, or the fact I'm a fickle twat. But those three tracks are stunning, especially the last 2! Maybe in time the other 5 will hit me too. So far it's really getting there for me. Kudos to Radiohead. How do they make music that grows like that?

Why also is it with Radiohead songs that initially you can't work out what Thom sings, so you go looking for the lyric and find it, and the song just finally makes sense and just crosses that level for you? I wouldn't consider myself a words person either- they very rarely break a song for me. It's that 'Don't haunt me' refrain on DGUTG that I'm referring to. It just was the final piece of the puzzle for me and it finally converted me. So weird.

Loving those little guitars on Separator too.

What a difference a day makes!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

GLIB IF MONKS!

Post by BzaInSpace »

:D

Cool. I'm well glad this album has seemingly just appeared from nowhere - just like the last one, which incidentally I believe is by far and away the best thing Radiohead ever did and the only music of theirs that really moves me and I really enjoy (bar 'Pyramid Song'). The rest I can take or leave. Usually leave... but hey!

'Reckoner' was just fucking awesome.

Anyway, the only thing is I'm torn between getting the full plastic newspaper/vinyl thing or just settling for the mp3s. I'll decide on Monday when I get paid. Curious to see the hundreds of miniture artworks :shock: ... did I understand that right?

The reactions here so far suggest it may be either totally amazing or really really bad. I love that kind of reaction - way more interesting than unaminous praise!

What an album title. :lol:
O P 8
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Multi wrote:
No, it isn't, and I know what he was referring to. Many of the songs on the album are missing several members and if they aren't, they're so heavily manipulated that it's far removed from being a cohesive unit. In fact, beyond Thom and Johnny's computer programs, the bass is the only instrument that is featured somewhat prominently throughout the album (minus Codex). This is far and away from being a "rhythm section." My reference to Led Zeppelin goes back to a band going in, jamming, and assembling the songs by playing off of one another. The bass is not playing off of the drum tracks here, the bass is not following any guitars here (and to think that Radiohead has three guitarists), etc. This is a bunch of ideas thrown together with parts being filled in and textures being added throughout empty space.
Sorry, I'm still not seeing the Led Zeppelin reference. These two bands are so totally different that I fail to see how they can be compared. Maybe in an earlier guise when Radiohead were more of a traditional band but certainly not since 'Kid A'. If comparisons were made it might be more accurate to say Pink Floyd or even some of the art house prog bands like early Genesis or even some of the Scandanavian and Kraut bands from the 70's.

The rhythm section I hear throughout most of the new album is bass, drums and percussion. Whether loops or drum machines or proper beats were done on a kit, they are all fairly dominant as are the various percussive instruments on a few tracks. The bass and drums lay down the beat, while the guitar and piano seem to follow and build. That said, the guitars are very minimal bar one or two tracks and even when it is played on "Little By Little" it is sparse. On this particular album it seems to me that Thom's falsetto voice has become the main instrument to add texture, tone and harmony.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the album as a whole, just yet. I did listen several times yesterday and there were a couple times where it put me into a zone and I felt something but it has yet to register like "In Rainbows" did. But, there are certainly some quality moments on it.

I totally agree with you and a couple others that it is hard to imagine the entire band were behind this album. It sounds to me that it could have been recorded by Thom and Johnny only...they could easily create all the sounds on the album. But, even if Phil and Collin were involved I'm still not sure where or how Ed fits into the whole mix.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

MILK, IF BONGS

Post by BzaInSpace »

Multi -

Please don't post links to brand new and 'in-print' albums on this forum again. Obviously bootlegs and such are a different matter, but nobody here wants to face the wrath of Thom's android army... or worse.

I realize the internet is already clogged with such material on a million-and-one filesharing sites but we like to keep this corner of the internet clean and avoid any potential legal hassles and the like.

Besides - £6 isn't bad for a new album is it?

Bought it last night for the commute. Only listened to half on the way home (needed some nosebleed techno to wake up on the way in at insane o' clock) but so far... beautiful and strange!

Full review imminent! Thank fuck 'Little By Little' is NOT an Oa*is cover.... :lol:

'Codex'. Wow...
O P 8
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Re: MILK, IF BONGS

Post by Kurious Oranj »

BzaInSpace wrote:Thank fuck 'Little By Little' is NOT an Oa*is cover.... :lol:
somehow you manage to bring up oasis in every thread.. it's impressive.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

It is pretty dull, I'm sure I will like it soon enough but it's not really anything special... very short too...
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

seems like the type of album that needs to be played on a full stereo system, not shitty computer speakers or ipod
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

you shouldnt have to have an elaborate sound system just to enjoy a $10 album

granted it does sound better on headphones but it's not like it's going to change your mind on the album
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

On first blush, I like the album. I don't know if there are many hooks or melodies that really jump out at me, but it's tastefully produced and intelligently crafted. Much of it reminds me of early Philip Glass. I am particularly fond of the first, second, and last tracks. The only track that I didn't care for much was "Give Up The Ghost," which reminded me of We Suck Young Blood in its ostentatious whininess. But, in general, it's sonically warm and relaxed in a similar way to what I loved about In Rainbows -- and the opposite of what bothered me on Hail To The Thief.

On one hand, 8 songs -- 38 minutes -- is not a hugely impressive payoff for 3 1/2 years of waiting for a new album -- especially from a band that came out with much of their best stuff in one 4 year period. On the other hand, Radiohead seems to be a band that buckles under the pressure of releasing "Big Statement" LPs at this point, and I like the matter-of-fact humility of this release -- it's just a postcard from Radioheadland.

If Richard Ashcroft had released Why Not Nothing - Music Is Power - Break The Night With Colour - Words Just Get In The Way - World Keeps Turning as an EP instead of the Keys To The World LP, I suspect he would have gotten better response than releasing the LP with extra material that was less fully realized. And how many other bands release 12 song albums when they really had 7 songs ready for release? I'm often nostalgic for the record release system of the 60s and 70s, when bands released more frequent releases with less material and less expectation for any single release. Radiohead obviously hasn't followed the pattern of releasing material more often, but I do hope their example here of releasing something relatively short and relaxed becomes a trend in the age of digital distribution.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

jadams501 wrote:I'm often nostalgic for the record release system of the 60s and 70s, when bands released more frequent releases with less material and less expectation for any single release. Radiohead obviously hasn't followed the pattern of releasing material more often, but I do hope their example here of releasing something relatively short and relaxed becomes a trend in the age of digital distribution.
i suspect there'll be more on the way soon enough. i mean come on, 8 songs?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

FOBS. MILKING?

Post by BzaInSpace »

Kurious Oranj wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:Thank fuck 'Little By Little' is NOT an Oa*is cover.... :lol:
somehow you manage to bring up oa*is in every thread.. it's impressive.
Yes, I completely agree!

It'll continue as long as I like, just for the fans mate. What's hilarious is that YOU feel the need to comment about it every time!

I'm Noel Gallagher and I claim my five pounds...
O P 8
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Re: FOBS. MILKING?

Post by Kurious Oranj »

you find yourself far too amusing
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Gobs, Film, Ink!

Post by BzaInSpace »

A sense of humour - you should try it sometime. If you're gonna be so personal (again!), I don't see you adding much other on here than the occasional snidey comment, or personifying another musicians supposed outrage.

I wonder what you think of the Radiohead album...like I care.

ANYWAY!

So as mentioned gave this a listen last night. Really suited the late commute home. Firstly as jadams says "its sonically warm and relaxed...(like) In Rainbows" which is spot on. It has that weird plasticy kinda anaolgue sound to it.

A lot of it sounds like its based around the drums, like the mighty Can. I like how the drums and beats are stacked up - they retain a more human feel. Eh?
How can I put it...when they have several rhythm tracks on the go they are not absolutely perfectly in sync with each other as most electronica - for example - is.

An obvious highlight for me is 'Codex'. Has that 'Reckoner' vibe, and some beautifully played and sounding piano. A really nice sound actually. Good singing there. The song that flows on from it ('...Ghost') started off sounding like something from The Wicker Man soundtrack. High praise indeed...

I detected lots of good harmonies, and some great riffs. They are maybe all a bit understated - buried away in the mix. I have no doubt a few listens will bring 'em out. I also heard birdsong, and the sound of rain on another. I think... :wink:

If the plastic newspaper thing came with more music I may consider getting that. Anyway. Thanfully no return to the 'anthems of angst'... :D
O P 8
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

not being a douche - you should try it sometime
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Our Oar Is Junk!

Post by BzaInSpace »

Whatever mate.
O P 8
jack white
Known user

Re: Gobs, Film, Ink!

Post by jack white »

BzaInSpace wrote:I like how the drums and beats are stacked up they retain a more human feel.
agree with this.
dunno where the 'great riffs' are.
n i'm thinking i'm one of the few people who don't like codex that much.

overall i like this record. probs not as much as i like IR but it's much much more ambitious, energetic & consistent than either HTTT or Amnesiac. obv i use ambitious & energetic loosely. the influence & direction taken & the composure of the groovy/funky songcraft is nice but on the whole it's not surprising or mindblowing. but then rh have never been as innovative as the media has made them out so perhaps it's unfair to hold that against them.. it does seem like a continuation of the vibe they were going for on IR except with added clicks & bleeps... the funk from IR is the most obv carryover.

it's good. i like it. it's not a big deal & that works in it's favour. the last time they tried to be brash & loud they tripped up n fell flat on their faces with HTTT. the direction they've gone to since that record i think is radiohead finally embracing their own territory & won't be compromising their craft again to placate the indie-rock crowd. IR & this are definitely steps in the right, groovy, direction.
it's a nice record. but not the strongest i've heard this year. i probs won't listen to it much anymore tbh..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Knob Fig Slim!

Post by BzaInSpace »

jack white wrote:
dunno where the 'great riffs' are.
Yo Jack. I listened to it again on the way to "the shoaps" this morning - in the snow! - and I perhaps should have said "riff" in the singular. It's that sort of decending/ascending bassline and guitar in 'Little By Little'. :oops:

I completely agree with everything you write here - 'the funk' was what made In Rainbows so good. It's still there, just in a more colder, machine-like style.
jack white wrote: ...it's a nice record. but not the strongest i've heard this year. i probs won't listen to it much anymore tbh..
Yep. Maybe the occasional track... I only wish they'd had at least one full on rocker on there, like 'Bodysnatchers'. But hey, fuck the indie-rock crowd! They're doing their own thing, and it's good!

I wish more records would suddenly appear with no warning (imagined nostalgia) without countless previews, write-ups, 'leaked' copies spilling out etc. Like the forthcoming Spiritualized album... :?:
O P 8
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Thom doing some contorted dancing to 'Lotus Flower':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfOa1a8hYP8
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Kurious Oranj wrote:you shouldnt have to have an elaborate sound system just to enjoy a $10 album
this is craziest think i've ever heard of :?
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

burningwheel wrote:
Kurious Oranj wrote:you shouldnt have to have an elaborate sound system just to enjoy a $10 album
why? i think music is meant to be enjoyed by everyone.. not some kind of exclusive club where you have to meet a certain speaker requirement.

i've seen people make all kinds of excuses for this album from you're listening to it wrong to you have to be high to get it. whatever is right
squirrel
Known user

Post by squirrel »

When did this board get polluted with children? What a shame. It used to be cool.

I've only heard the record once through and I was somewhat preoccupied for a bit of it, but it's clearly something that is going to take a while to sink in. Nothing stuck out to me as being right there for immediate gratification. Honestly, I was happy to hear that was the case after the directness and song structures of In Rainbows. Which I like a lot, fwiw.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

burningwheel wrote:
While I appreciate a good sound system -- ideally a hi-fi record player with high-end speakers -- it's certainly not how I listen to music the majority of the time and is far from necessary to enjoy music to 98% of its potential.

In the same way that one can eat a really fantastic meal for $20 even though a $75 meal might take food to a higher level, one can be just fine with decent quality MP3s and a middling set of headphones. A nice sound system is a luxury, while really good music is a necessity.

If somebody doesn't like an album and have attentively listened to it on more than 64 kb MP3s, I'm inclined to accept their opinion (even if I disagree on aesthetic grounds) rather than blame it on somebody's speakers. The sound system is a really nice garnish, but it ain't the meal.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

There is a lot of speculation as to whether or not there is more new Radiohead material coming soon. This site is a bit obsessive, but it's interesting: http://thekingoflimbspart2.com/

I hope that the newspaper/10" vinyl version comes with more music than just the 8 song album.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

why would it come with more songs? they list what you are getting on the site. i love the album cover artwork, though the text is way too big. the video for lotus flower sucks so bad
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I wouldn't put it past Radiohead to pull a sneaky move by including more music on the box than they listed on the website. If you read through the info in that link I posted above, you'll see that apparently they are going to announce soon that anyone who bought he mp3 or wav digital version will have the opportunity to "upgrade" to the newspaper version.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

they are probably just trying to make more money! :lol: buy who know with rumoured second half of the album
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »