The Psychic Paramount - //

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

The Psychic Paramount - //

Post by TheWarmth »

Anyone heard this stuff before? It's serious shit. Runcible, I'd expect you to be all over this.

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/14/133621169 ... i#playlist
MODLAB
Site Admin

Re: The Psychic Paramount - //

Post by MODLAB »

I have this — Really enjoying it.

M
Design.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

8.2 rating (but not the coveted "Best New Music") from Pitchfork: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15190-ii/
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

just listened to this album for the first time... i've not been blown away this much by an album on first listen for a good while.

it's free, it's trippy, it's wild, and its LOUD. fuck me it's good.
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

This album is the best for me so far this year.
And also their first album has become one of my favorites ever, which is rawer and louder than II and reminds me of Led Zep's Achilles Last Stand and Dazed And Confused.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

just wanted to bump this. this band are still absolutely rocking my world.
I've got the first album too and it's even noisier than II. some parts are more just like ambient blob-like noise, but still mixed and mastered really loud and in your face.

Echoh Air is one of my favourites. I've been checking out live clips on youtube and these guys make some serious noise. and the drummer is AMAZING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqeAsmCaML0

is anyone familiar with Laddio Bolocko who I think were the previous band of some members? listened to a little bit of them and they sound just a good- maybe a bit less rhythmic in their approach but still a good melting pot of noise and drone
zaydon
Known user

Post by zaydon »

Seen these guys in NYC a couple times. One of the most amazing live performances you'll ever see. Don't think it translates well to the studio. They don't draw a very big crowd usually. I'm guessing they do the band as a hobby more than anything. But amazing musicians. Laddio Bolocko was great as well.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

ha I guess music this abstract and noisy has shall we say a 'selective appeal' :)
for me though it's just what the doctor ordered. it's noisy but its got this direction and focus to it
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sometime later and The Psychic Paramount are still one of my favourite bands of recent years. I would very much advise anyone who likes their psych like a huge noisy machine to check them out.

I also checked out their previous band Laddio Bolocko. you can get all their studio material in one compilation. they are really good also, perhaps a bit more drone/jazz/kraut than the Paramount!

anyway what made me think of this, was that there's just been a Laddio Bolocko compilation released featuring a generous helping of live stuff/jams etc.

http://noquarter.net/product/laddio-bol ... pre-order/

also hope The Psychic Paramount come out of hiding soon. their website says they will be back in 2014 :lol:
I would love to see them live. they would be good laying waste to a stage at the psych fest.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I missed this along the way, but from "who wrote what about this band", it will be added as soon as it is possible. I'm behind as always on so much, I almost simply take it for granted as "normal".

A GREAT source of People and Music this SITE is! Truly Wonderful in fact!
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

semisynthetic wrote:I missed this along the way, but from "who wrote what about this band", it will be added as soon as it is possible. I'm behind as always on so much, I almost simply take it for granted as "normal".

A GREAT source of People and Music this SITE is! Truly Wonderful in fact!
do it semi! I try to reserve proper mouth frothing hyperbole for when a band truly deserves it. these guys definitely do!

this board has been invaluable for recommendations for me too. I could do a list of bands as long as my arm that I first heard of here!