Jandek

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

toomilk
Known user

Jandek

Post by toomilk »

Has anyone else here listened to Jandek?

Pretty incredible back story: over 60 albums released of incredibly weird "outsider" music. No one knows for sure who the artist is, but it's "widely assumed" to be some stock broker! There are some recent videos of his performances that sound like the talking heads, but it's generally this atonal delta blues/jazz (?)/inexplicable hybrid that I can only compare to Beefheart's most challenging tracks.

I'm listening to Interstellar Discussion right now. It sounds like Daniel Johnston if he grew up on Can instead of The Beatles. But then the second half of the record is much more sparse and eerie. Most would consider it unlistenable, but if you let the music take its course, you take away something very rewarding - almost pure, tortured emotion instead of music.

Definitely going to dive deeper into this. Anyone have a recommendation for which album I should go to next?
redcloud
Known user

Re: Jandek

Post by redcloud »

I have a couple friends that really love this guy. I have to admit I find his work tedious and incredibly dull but I have only heard the 'Units' album in full and bits and pieces off others. For really outstanding post-psych, folk, loner tunes check out Bobb Trimble.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

toomilk wrote:Has anyone else here listened to Jandek?
Sure have. Saw him live too in January (w/Mike Watt and BJ Miller in his band). Amazingly strange show to get a handle on... sorta like a deadpan country singer fronting Can/King Crimson.

Can't even begin to delineate some starting points here, but I've found it helpful to approach his work as those of a painter who goes through working phases rather than a conventional musician who makes albums with songs. I'd suggest watching the "Jandek On Corwood" documentary, and then go from there.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

It's worth searching Jandek on here, http://www.volcanictongue.com/

I have a 2 disc release by Jandek, can't remember the title, but it's certainly a little bit challenging to listen to (even by my standards.) If you want I'll do you a copy. Also, if you are listening to this, perhaps Ignatz might appeal to you too.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Turned up this thread tonight - Jandek, yeah Shaun I remember Volcanic Tongue had a fair stack of his stuff. Was some of it not on cassette only?

I first read about him in Wire magazine. Sounded interesting if definitely off-kilter.

Weirdly enough - and probably through Volcanic Tongue - he played a show at the arches a few years ago. I seem to remember it got great reviews. I saw a picture - scary looking guy with a guitar, a cowboy hat and a thousand mile stare. Brilliant...
O P 8
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

BzaInSpace wrote:Turned up this thread tonight - Jandek, yeah Shaun I remember Volcanic Tongue had a fair stack of his stuff. Was some of it not on cassette only?

I first read about him in Wire magazine. Sounded interesting if definitely off-kilter.

Weirdly enough - and probably through Volcanic Tongue - he played a show at the arches a few years ago. I seem to remember it got great reviews. I saw a picture - scary looking guy with a guitar, a cowboy hat and a thousand mile stare. Brilliant...
Possibly, or it is James Ferraro you're thinking of who used to release stuff almost every other week... or so it seemed but his name hasn't appeared on the weekly email for some time. Anyway BzaInAmnesia I thought you would know that. You're a regular in Volcanic Tongue, right?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

If 'regular' means visiting the one time... :D
O P 8
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

BzaInSpace wrote:If 'regular' means visiting the one time... :D
Maybe I should make a phone call and order a couple of discs. Would you be able to pick them up for me? It'll give you first crack at some heavy Japanese psych mind benders, plus a reason to go back.... 8)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Shaun wrote:
Maybe I should make a phone call and order a couple of discs. Would you be able to pick them up for me? It'll give you first crack at some heavy Japanese psych mind benders, plus a reason to go back.... 8)
No problem - as long as I can find it again...off the beaten track, through the garden and up the back stairs... 8)
O P 8
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

BzaInSpace wrote:
Shaun wrote:
No problem - as long as I can find it again...off the beaten track, through the garden and up the back stairs... 8)
That's it. 1129 Argyle Street, near the Nevis pub and Indian takeaway/restaurant.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

How To Find Volcanic Tongue.

Post by BzaInSpace »

I also have an alternate way of finding it - head across the insane bunch of roads at Charing Cross via Sauchiehall, smoke a cigarette, turn left, cross the road and you're there... :D

Gimme a shout anyway, no problem about picking up some 'gear', and yeah, look forward to some full-on insane psychedelic Japanese mind benders...

By the way, did you ever hear Guitar Wolf? Let me know!!!
O P 8