2011 so far ...

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

2011 so far ...

Post by TheWarmth »

Just for fun, here's a breakdown of new releases I have purchased this year and a few quick thoughts on them:

The Veils: Troubles of the Brain EP - This EP didn't get much attention when it was released in January, probably because the band put it out on their own label and didn't have much money behind it. It's a bit more lo-fi than their previous output, but I find that that's part of its charm. Bernard Butler assisted with production. The songs are very concise, often under three minutes in length, and find Finn Andrews experimenting with his songwriting. "Don't Let The Same Bee Sting You Twice," in particular is a curiousity for it's Tyrannosaurus Rex/early T-Rex vibe. Not sure how many people here have any interest in this band. I'm a big fan and highly recommend them.

Mogwai: Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will - An absolute monster of an LP, in my opinion. We've discussed this one at length already and all I can add is that I still love it. A welcome return to form after the fairly mundane The Hawk Is Howling.

PJ Harvey: Let England Shake - Aside from one or two clunkers, this is the masterpiece every critic says that it is. The only other PJ album I really dig is White Chalk. This one is better, though.

Kurt Vile: Smoke Ring For My Halo - I didn't expect to be bowled over by this, but I keep coming back to it and have grown a great appeciation for it. After the mish-mosh of Childish Prodigy, I wasn't holding out much hope for Kurt Vile, but this album is really solid. It's too bad there isn't just one sprawling dimed-fuzz rocker, but that obviously wasn't what he was going for.

Gruff Rhys: Hotel Shampoo - This is Gruff's best solo album by a mile and an absolute joy from start to finish! I suppose you can take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I'm an SFA superfan, but I know Spzretent has been digging this one and he's definitely not a big SFA supporter.

Radiohead: The King of Limbs - No need to start another discussion about this one. A fantastic album, in my opinion.

Hills – Master Sleeps - I find that a lot of the psych-rock/krautrock stuff I hear isn't exactly produced well. This album, on the other hand, sounds absolutely thunderous and magical. Highly recommended!

Grails: Deep Politics - This LP finds Grails heavily influenced by Morricone to great effect. Super solid from start to finish and issued on beautiful colored vinyl. My only complaint is that the cover art kind of sucks, especially for a band that's had such impeccable taste in the past. UPDATE: Pitchfork just posted nice review of this album:
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/153 ... -politics/

Bibio: Mind Bokeh - While not as instantly accessible as Ambivalence Avenue, this is still a compelling and pleasantly mind-boggling release from Bibio (his second on Warp). It took me awhile to get the groove, but I've been listening to it a lot since I bought the lavishly-packaged, yet still affordable double LP. Again, I'm curious how many people this would appeal to on this forum. Anyone else into it? If you're interested, hit me up.

Moon Duo: Mazes - We've discussed this one to death, but I had to include it. Nothing more to add. I'm very curious where M.D. will go from here.

Boris: New Album - Killer new LP and the first of 3 this year from Boris. Might be too poppy for some of the fans of their heavier material, but it's hit the spot for me. I think the fact that this was a Japan-only release explains why it hasn't gotten more attention. If anyone is desperate to hear it and doesn't want to shell out big money for the ridiculously expensive cd or vinyl, let me know.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Wed May 04, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runcible
Site Admin

Re: 2011 so far ...

Post by runcible »

Bloody hell - you've done better than me Paul!

My list is the albums by Mogwai, Moon Duo and Hills. That's it!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i'd like to recommend:

Sic Alps - Napa Asylum
my AOTY by quite a distance atm - brilliantly desconstructed garage rock

Mitochondrion - Parasignosis (black death metal)
Korpilkanni - Ukon Wacka
Earth - Angels of Darkness (tho maybe last year??)
Grails - Deep Politics
Boris w/Merzbow - Klatter
Cass McCombs' - Wit's End
J Mascis - Several Shades of Why
Josh T Pearson - Last of the Country Gentlemen
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
King Creosote & Jon Hopkins - Diamond Mind
Timber Timbre - Creep On Creepin' On
Maggie Bjorklund - Coming Home
Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes
Julianna Barwick - The Magic Place
Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee
The Dirtbombs - Party Store

& a few that TheWarmth mentioned - specifically Polly Jean, Gruff Rhys, Kurt Vile (his albums i'd never really liked before this one) & of course the mighty Moon Duo

been a good year
but with Tyler about to unleash Goblin, the year's about to get blown up & out. Yonkers is SOTY (& vid of the year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbZidsgMfw) thus far by a million miles.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I just got the new Fleet Foxes and it has exceeded my expectations. I'm already convinced that it's better than the first one.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Has anyone heard the Sonic-produced Panda Bear album yet?
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

I´ve listened to it four times:
..what the beach boys would have sounded like if they were germans from the seventies playing in an ibiza gay bar in the eighties... with shoegazy editing from the nineties and some 70ies jamaican dub textures of course

- it sounds old and new, pretty good - much better than mgmt imo
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

radioshack wrote:Has anyone heard the Sonic-produced Panda Bear album yet?
it's fantastic.. my favorite album of the year thus far

i made a thread about it but nobody seemed interested :(
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Earth and Bibio albums are top notch!!! Grails new one is ok too. Mogwai is good but fails to get me like all the stuff upto Happy Songs did..

Everyone will know already but hand down best album of the year for me is Low! Drums and Guns threw me a bit after first hearing the live versions but this one for me is the most coherent album they've ever done. I don't dislike any of their output and although this isn't my favourite, I think Alan has done great concentrating on the songwriting over style this time... Steve's bass suits much more than Mat did, Zak is obviously missed but what can ya do?
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Kurious Oranj wrote:
radioshack wrote:Has anyone heard the Sonic-produced Panda Bear album yet?
it's fantastic.. my favorite album of the year thus far

i made a thread about it but nobody seemed interested :(
Sorry Kurious Oranj! I'll be sure to check the thread out and leave a message when I've listened to the record a couple of times. Cheers! :D
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

cheers jack, some nice stuff on there to check further
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

jack white wrote: Sic Alps - Napa Asylum
my AOTY by quite a distance atm - brilliantly desconstructed garage rock
Yep - I've ordered this on your recommendation. Looking forward to hearing....
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

TheWarmth wrote:I just got the new Fleet Foxes and it has exceeded my expectations. I'm already convinced that it's better than the first one.
haven't got this yet but looking forward to grabbing it at the weekend. NME have slated it which makes me think i'm really gonna like it!!

it's not been a bad year so far has it. some good records already lined up for the rest of the year too.. there's a new Wooden Shjips coming in August apparantly.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Psychic Paramount II tops it so far for me. stunning, almost free jazz white noise. ish.

also been enjoying Skull Defekts - Peer Amid and Natural Snow Buildings - Waves of the Random Sea which is simple but pretty and folky acoustic guitar melodies interspersed with ambient drones n stuff.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Top 5 for me so far this year

Mogwai: Hardcore will never die but you will
Perplexa: Gone beyond (note to self: buy their other CDs)
Moon Duo: Mazes (especially if you can get it with the extra CD)
Eat Lights Become Lights: Autopia
Rituals from The Heads and The Big Naturals: Volume 3

Top Re-releases
The Heads: Relaxing with...
The Durutti Column: Vini Reilly

I've also really enjoyed a couple of very well produced bootlegs:
Jesus and Mary Chain; The Complete John Peel Sessions (Double LP)
The Smiths: Unreleased demos and instrumentals.

There are upcoming Durutti Coumn and Spiritualized releases, and maybe even a Spectrum album, so this year is looking likely to be better than average.....
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

that sic alps album is something that i asked for for my birthday, so i can't buy it for myself until the end of the month, but i have heard it and it is really great!
the new panda bear is up there with the new low record as my favourites for the year- i didn't post about the new panda bear album because the mixes i'd heard (the ones from the 7" versions) weren't very good, but my god did sonic do a fantastic job mixing 'tom boy.' it's a match made in heaven. i like it even more than 'person pitch' which i never really stopped listening to.
the new kurt vile record is up there as well- i have all of his records and the only one of his that i like more is 'god is saying this to you.'
the new low record is about as perfect as one could ask for.
the new moon duo i haven't been listening to a terrible amount, sadly.
same with the new pj harvey and radiohead albums- i'm a bit disappointed with both of them to be perfectly honest.
the new raveonettes album is really good- it's more in line with their darker stuff. it's kind of like an extension of those digital only eps that they released a few years ago. it's a little short, but it's very satisfying.

i might use some of my store credit to get the new fleet foxes today- i am curious to hear it.
there's a new oh sees album coming out on my birthday which seems like it sees them revisiting their mellower sound, which i actually like. i suspect most others who like their last few albums will be disappointed, though.
i keep forgetting about a new spiritualized record. i try not to think about it until there's an announced release date. same with the new spectrum album- haven't they been saying it's coming out at 'this year' since 2009 or so? i can understand, though, he's been very busy lately.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I'm not expecting a new Spectrum album until at least next year, if ever. I would think when it finally happens we'll hear a lot more from Pete than we have.

As for new Spiritualized, I'll believe it when I see the release date. Must admit that after Songs in A&E I am less jazzed for a new record than I've been previously -- I'm hoping that J can exceed my expectations this time around.
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

ohGr-undeveloped
jesu-ascension
cave in-white silence
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

There is a new cave in album?? Is it as good as Jupiter? probably nowhere near but I think that EP they did last year (?) was reallllly shit.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Here are a few albums slated for release that I'm looking forward to hearing:

Boris: Heavy Rocks/Attention Please (May 24)
Neil Young: A Treasure (June 14)
Bon Iver: Bon Iver (June 21)
White Hills: H-p1 (June 21)
Wooden Shjips: West (August 16)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Must admit, 2011 has been a bit of a cracker so far on the albums front. Have to agree with most of the suggestions already made but I think a special mention has to go to our fellow board members, The Warmth and They Transmit, and their respective bands, Soft Speaker and Eat Lights;Become Lights for getting their debut albums out. Both are up there in my albums of the year so far. Anyway, for what its worth, here are my faves of 2011 as it stands (and in no particular order):-

Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
Carlton Melton - Country Ways
Moon Duo - Mazes
Eat Lights;Become Lights - Autopia
Low - C'mon
British Sea Power - Valhalla Dancehall
Soft Speaker - I'll Tend Your Garden
Crystal Stilts - In Love With Oblivion
Explosions In The Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care

Here's hoping to an even better rest of the year.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Thanks for the props! Glad you dig the album.

Can you tell us more about the Carlton Melton album? I just ordered a copy from Aquarius last night after reading the Quietus review: http://thequietus.com/articles/06231-ca ... untry-ways
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

A big highlight for me has been a mixtape club I signed up to, 6 tapes across the year - the Galactic Zoo Mixtape club

I love the Gil Scott-Heron album remix by Jamie XX, especially NY is Killing me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7c3wRzUUjs

I have been listening to lots of mixtapes and radio shows this year, enjoying FACT mixes, Benji B Radio 1 show and listening to old Mary Anne Hobbes' show

Addison Groove, Kutmah and Jamie XX mixes too

Brainfeeder label is also releasing some amazing music
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Pleased you dig our album, was a long time coming. Second album sessions are in full swing and should see the light of day early next year with an EP preceding it. I'm off to record in LA as of Saturday so we'll see if the new environs affect the sounds.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The new Bon Iver is out. I have tried listening to it a few times and so far it strikes me as incredibly boring. It's getting rave reviews, but I can't get into it. Anyone else hear it yet?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Heh heh, Paul, I'll do be doing my utmost to avoid getting anywhere close to earshot of it...

Wonder what the 'backstory' is this time? :roll:

On an infinitely better note - the best thing I've heard for a bit, that Sic Alps album. Fucking mental and strange but thrilling. Royal Trux meets The Novas in a factory full of broken machinery.

And I mean that in a good way...
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

A few more new releases to look forward to:

Fennesz: Seven Stars (July 5)
Dom: Family of Love EP (August 9)
Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks – Mirror Traffic (August 23)
Boom Bip – Zig Zaj (September)
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

JakeCardigan wrote:
I love the Gil Scott-Heron album remix by Jamie XX, especially NY is Killing me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7c3wRzUUjs
This^^. So this. Album of the year so far.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

TheWarmth wrote:A few more new releases to look forward to:

Fennesz: Seven Stars (July 5)
Dom: Family of Love EP (August 9)
Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks – Mirror Traffic (August 23)
Boom Bip – Zig Zaj (September)
wow! am especially looking forward to the new Malkmus... i thought his last album was incredible.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

definitely a good year so far, i'm struggling to keep up!

highlights so far:
...trail of dead - tao of the dead
luke rathborne - dog years/i can be one e.p's
grails - deep politics
low - c'mon
josh t pearson - last of the country gentlemen
moon duo - mazes
ringo deathstarr - colour trip
jon hopkins & king creosote - diamond mine
sarabeth tucek - get well soon

and for gigs: moon duo, closely followed by bo ningen
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Highlights of 2011

Tuesday

Crisps
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Bon Iver got a 9.5/10 on Pitchfork today. I don't get it. Has anyone else heard this yet?

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15551-bon-iver/
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

TheWarmth wrote:Bon Iver got a 9.5/10 on Pitchfork today. I don't get it. Has anyone else heard this yet?

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15551-bon-iver/
they have achieved 'pitchfork pet' status. i haven't heard it, though so i can't really judge. i've never heard bon iver as a matter of fact...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i still can't think of a single album released this year that i have bought and enjoyed. older stuff like dylan outtakes and whatnot have been great but as for new music, nothing. the last 'new' album i thought i was getting was best coast. they're good live and i enjoyed the album, same with smoke fairies but they were both released in 2010. have i missed something?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

You certainly have. The Moon Duo and Hills albums are absolutely superb. The Mogwai is decent which is amazing for me to say as I don't like them much. I just got a Gnod CD-R which is one of the scariest things I've bought in a while - Science and Industry. Two 30+ minute tracks of pounding heaviness - somewhere in the blizzard of feedback and distortion there's a hypnotic rhythm. Hardly the album of the year but still pretty good.

Also the Hookworms EP is due soon - that's a really excellent record I think. MMOSS's album is good too - quirky and all over the place but it's really interesting. More quality Chilean psych is due soon too which is something to look forward to (course if you read Optical Sounds you'll know this!).

I don't think 2011 is a particularly good year for music but there are goodies out there if you look!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

bunnyben wrote:i still can't think of a single album released this year that i have bought and enjoyed. older stuff like dylan outtakes and whatnot have been great but as for new music, nothing. the last 'new' album i thought i was getting was best coast. they're good live and i enjoyed the album, same with smoke fairies but they were both released in 2010. have i missed something?
Geez, I listed eleven releases in the first post. Not a one of them has any appeal?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

This is one of my favourites so far this year... or any year.

Death Grips - Exmilitary http://thirdworlds.net/exmilitary.php

Utterly amazing and brutal heavy hip hop craziness - most supposedly 'edgy' material comes nowhere near. It has a mad, claustrophobic intense thing going on. Fans of Funcrusher Plus and stuff from the darkest Wu-Chambers will find a lot to love here.

All over the shop, with a truly unhinged metallic & psychedelic production. Fucked up samples, and somewhere in there is the best 'version' of Link Wray's 'Rumble' you've never heard...

Major recommendations... And the album is a free download! :shock:
O P 8
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

BzaInSpace wrote:This is one of my favourites so far this year... or any year.

Utterly amazing and brutal heavy hip hop craziness - most supposedly 'edgy' material comes nowhere near. It has a mad, claustrophobic intense thing going on. Fans of Funcrusher Plus and stuff from the darkest Wu-Chambers will find a lot to love here.

All over the shop, with a truly unhinged metallic & psychedelic production. Fucked up samples, and somewhere in there is the best 'version' of Link Wray's 'Rumble' you've never heard...

downloading as we speak :D (baz did you get my pm?) i've listened to a few listed (radiohead etc) without much success and others i've looked into have been seeling at aprox £15 at hmv- out of my range for now. i guess i'm waiting for 'the' album that will blow the others away and this board will be lit up in majestic technicolour. which album should do that?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
crazyland
New user

Post by crazyland »

White Hills, Bill Callahan, Oneida, Moon Duo... the usual.
But also: Peoples Temple - Sons of Stone. Great stuff, for lovers (not haters).
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm usually a year or so behind on most new releases as I wait for albums to go cheaper. also the majority of what I buy is back catalogue, so i'm useless at lists like this.

with that caveat in mind I'm gonna add a vote for the Mogwai album, and the Psychic Paramount which has blown me away

I still need to investigate new Kurt Vile, Six Organs and Earth albums. told you I was slow!!

disappointments of the year- Explosions and Fleet Foxes. re: the latter i'm sad to say it as I've always been a supporter of the band round these parts. but the songs don't seem as distinctive as the first album and seem to be lacking in hooks. maybe with both these bands my expectations were set too high.. gonna keep listening as always. never underestimate the power of a grower
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I'll throw in my two cents worth on this thread....

Perplexa's-'Gone Beyond' gets my nod for my favorite album of 2011 (thus far). I absolutely adore this record. I have since snatched up their back catalog too, which are also very good (especially their predecessor 'Sun & Moon Getting it On' LP).

But, everyday I seem to discover something new from 2011 that I dig. I am currently enjoying Soft Speaker's 'I'll Tend Your Garden' LP. Cheers Paul! I am also digging the new White Hills album (H-p1).
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Dam strong, A?

Post by BzaInSpace »

Did I mention how good the Dog Man Star reissue/remaster is by Suede?
Fucking phenomenal.
My favourite album ever (except for In Utero) when I was 16 and fully deserving of it's nightly play over headphones whilst falling asleep each night... it now has a new lease of life, getting played almost daily again.
In retrospect this is a truly remarkable album, shot full of imagination, verve, daring and utter rock n' roll ridiculousness. In my opinion this is now easily the best record made in Britain during the 1990s (except for any by you know who) and just emphasises just how tacky and full of bullshit the alleged competition really was - this album destroys anything by Oa*is or B*ur - maybe just as well it's almost been forgotten about so as not to be lumped in with their shallow, lightweight "anthems" and crass jingoistic nonsense, union jack guitars and fucking Phil Daniels. Jesus.

If the entire 'Britpop' scene had even a fraction of this records ingenuity, excitement, intelligence and skill... well, who knows.

The sound has been cleared ever so slightly, although I always liked the kind of faded, fuzzy production - the bass sounds well good now but hearing Butler's spiralling, multi-tracked guitars in full clarity is joyous indeed.

'Heroine' is just fucking unbelievable. Messrs Anderson, Butler, Osman & Gilbert - I SALUTE YOU!

:D
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Ok, that does it. I'm ordering the reissues of Suede, Dog Man Star and Coming Up. I'm getting a bonus on Friday and I deserve it, despite the fact that I just purchased a ludicrously pricey guitar pedal.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

anyone else heard 'air museum' by Mountains? lovely, glittery ambient/noise/drone stuff, sounds very analoguey almost like something Sonic might put out.
redcloud
Known user

Re: Dam strong, A?

Post by redcloud »

BzaInSpace wrote:Did I mention how good the Dog Man Star reissue/remaster is by Suede?
Fucking phenomenal.
My favourite album ever (except for In Utero) when I was 16 and fully deserving of it's nightly play over headphones whilst falling asleep each night... it now has a new lease of life, getting played almost daily again.
In retrospect this is a truly remarkable album, shot full of imagination, verve, daring and utter rock n' roll ridiculousness. In my opinion this is now easily the best record made in Britain during the 1990s (except for any by you know who) and just emphasises just how tacky and full of bullshit the alleged competition really was - this album destroys anything by Oa*is or B*ur - maybe just as well it's almost been forgotten about so as not to be lumped in with their shallow, lightweight "anthems" and crass jingoistic nonsense, union jack guitars and fucking Phil Daniels. Jesus.

:D
"Best record made by a British band in the '90's (except for Spz)"? Wow...bold statement BzaInSpace.

Your praise above is inspired writing and makes me want to check this album out again. Have to admit...I was in England during the "Britpop" movement and I never really got Suede. I remember clearly the Melody Maker proclaiming them the "Best New Band in the World" before they had released a single let alone an LP! So much hype was built around the band before their debut even came out. That certainly jaundiced my opinion about them. But, when I did hear the first album I just didn't get it nor did I understand all the praise being thrown at them. Anderson and Butler's songs just didn't speak to me at all. I remember the praise for 'Dog Man Star' and many were calling it a masterpiece (even some of my friends) but I never really gave the band or the album the attention you feel that it clearly deserves.

I always had a lot of respect for the Charlatans whose first four or five albums are brilliant. They shook off the Stone Roses comparisons, stayed away from all the Britpop nonsense and quietly got on with recording some great albums. I especially like 'Up To Our Hips'...but everything up to the s/t fourth album and even 'Tellin Stories' are very good records.

It's also hard to remember when Radiohead were just a young band from Oxford. But cast yourself back to those years before they became massive and you will remember that they too quietly did their thing and stayed far away from all the NME/Melody Maker "Britpop" nonsense. After 'Pablo' they could have continued to churn out Seattle influenced rock to become the UK's answer to grunge but thankfully they didn't. 'The Bends' has more raw emotion than anything that came out of the shallow "Britpop" movement. But...'Kid A' then knocked everyone for six and proved that the band were listening to far more music than just rock. They proved they were willing to take risks and challenge themselves in the pursuit of making something much bigger than just another rock and roll album.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I splurged on the reissues this evening. $50 including shipping (via amazon.co.uk) for Suede, Dog Man Star and Coming Up. As far as I'm concerned, these are all 100% classics and must-own albums. I really wish they had done fancy vinyl versions, but those probably would have cost twice as much. Can't wait to hear the cds. I think it's lame that they left off Neil Codling's two songs ("Digging A Hole" and "Weight of the World"), but that's a minor complaint.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Not sure about Suede, do love some tracks though... might get the remasters...

Speaking of brit pop, yesterday I met damon albarn. I have been waiting for that since 1994 and he was a very nice chap indeed.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

very entertaining, energetic, just as you described ,not sure its an actual album though and not just a mix as their giving it away ,could they release it as it is ? clearing some of those samples might be hard , huge slabs off Janes Addiction and Pink Floyd,on first listen the vocal flow seems like some mad man shouting at you for 3/4 an hr. but a few run plays and it starts to become more nuanced ,in fact hes clearer than some more "conventional " rap artists , certainly some beats I normally wouldn`t a ssosciate with rap ,punk rock/hip hop ?, I actually skimmed through a quite impeneterable review of it after the cover caught my eye last week and brushed it of ,so thanks for tip
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

niamhm wrote:

so some sampling is very obvious ( pink floyd, bowie petshopboys etc) but what is that synth from on track 11? ..the one with "makes you feel like a hoe don´t it?"
scratch
Known user

Re: Dam strong, A?

Post by scratch »

redcloud wrote:
"Best record made by a British band in the '90's (except for Spz)"? Wow...bold statement BzaInSpace.
I wouldn´t go that far but it´s in the top ten... although if I weigh in nostalgia and how important that record was for me, then it is top 3.. helped me through a depression although it probably was caused by chemicals so not really major.
I was almost twenty, living in a concrete block and had decided after two years of meth and E that it was time keep it down.
felt like part of that record was about me.. (not really but you know what I mean).
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

so now the new Spz record has been pushed back to 2012, any contenders (or future contenders) for album of the year?

not sure it's gonna be a vintage year to be honest. was looking at Pitchfork's round up of upcoming album releases (see, they do have their uses!) and there have been a couple that piqued my interest. saw that Polvo are releasing a new album, I thought their last one was brilliant and one of the best 'reunion' albums I've ever heard. surprising that they are doing another one so soon.
also a new Crystal Antlers on the way, quite enjoyed the first one, psych rock played with punk energy. showed a lot of promise. heard a new song though, and although it is still fairly psychedelic they seem to have gone a bit more melodic and not as heavy
there's also new Sun Araw, M83, Wooden Shjips and Besnard Lakes releases in the pipeline
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Last M83 was really disappointing! Before the dawn... was amazing.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The Asteroid #4 album that came out in January is really great, too. I need to buy a vinyl copy of that. Any in stock at Gizmo, Alan?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

so some sampling is very obvious ( pink floyd, bowie petshopboys etc) but what is that synth from on track 11? ..the one with "makes you feel like a hoe don´t it?"
not sure but I think its Boards Of Canada ,have to check.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

angelsighs wrote:so now the new Spz record has been pushed back to 2012, any contenders (or future contenders) for album of the year?
I'm still loving the Mogwai album and really excited about seeing them down in Bexhill at the end of this month and again at the End of The Road Festival at the beginning of September...they were brilliant at Brixton towards the start of the year. That album, Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will is a regular listen on my I-Pod, in the car and at home. And C'mon by Low is another contender for my album of the year....the first 5 songs on it are so strong. Got it pumping out the stereo now in fact. Looking forward to see what the Wooden Shjips and the Besnard Lakes can do to beat these.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Wooden Shjips' beats Mogwai's hands down...

I'm actually looking forward to the new Lupine Howl album thats penciled in for later this year...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Laz69 wrote:Wooden Shjips' beats Mogwai's hands down...

I'm actually looking forward to the new Lupine Howl album thats penciled in for later this year...
Eh? Has the Wooden Shjips album leaked? If you meant that Moon Duo's LP is a better record than Mogwai's, I would agree with you.

Lupine Howl? Liked the sound/vibe of first LP, but it lacked good songs. The second LP had some songs but didn't have the impact of the first. Didn't think much of the Bronze Age stuff at all.....Greaet live act though, be pleased to hear more from them if there is another LP.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Erm, no its not leaked... you'll just have to trust me!

Sean Cook had mentioned that LH were back in the studio finishing songs that were due to appear on the third planned album all those years ago, but which was never released. They are putting it together for release later this year apparently. Live, they sure were fantastic, but i was a real lover of their albums too. Here are some links to songs that are supposed to make an appearance on the new one...

Guided By Voices

You Make Me Feel Like I'm On LSD
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

OK. I trust you. I've yet to hear anything by the Wooden Shjips that I did not really enjoy. I expect the new record to be a killer, as long as using a studio doesn't destroy the unique nature of their music.....
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I've heard some of the Shjips and it's good. Fairly typical stuff for them of course.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

TheWarmth wrote:The Asteroid #4 album that came out in January is really great, too. I need to buy a vinyl copy of that. Any in stock at Gizmo, Alan?
Yes. Still one at Gizmo. And the limited tour 10".
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

had no idea the third Lupine Howl LP was actually going to see the light of day!
although the first was a bit more muscular and rocking, I actually preferred the second album. not bad at all.
and weirdly I saw the band live before I ever saw Spz.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runcible wrote:I've heard some of the Shjips and it's good. Fairly typical stuff for them of course.
Typical Wooden Shjips (a la Lazy Journalist):
Plodding Drums? Check!
Keyboard Drones? Check!
Dum-de-dum bass? Check!
Distorted Guitar? Check!
Reverbed Vocals? Check!

Great stuff then! :D Bring it on!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

If the new Wooden Shjips album is going to be more of the same, there is no chance that I will enjoy it as much as the latest Mogwai LP. This is not to say that I don't appreciate what Ripley & Co. do, but there isn't one single Moon Duo or W.S. release that comes close to matching, let along surpassing, Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will, in my humble opinion. I suppose I continue to be mystified by the amount of adulation W.S. and M.D. receive here.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

angelsighs wrote:had no idea the third Lupine Howl LP was actually going to see the light of day!
although the first was a bit more muscular and rocking, I actually preferred the second album. not bad at all.
and weirdly I saw the band live before I ever saw Spz.
wow, i'm surprised too. i really like both albums and will be interested to hear the new one. reckon they'll ever play live again? I only became interested in them at around the time they split, so never had the chance. it sounds like i missed out!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

if i find out any more info on the LH release, i'll let you know... did you check out the tracks i posted? Hope they are a taster of whats to come...
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Laz69 wrote:if i find out any more info on the LH release, i'll let you know... did you check out the tracks i posted? Hope they are a taster of whats to come...
please do! and more importantly let them know that there's interest in a LH reunion ;)

and yeah, of course i remember the LSD track from way back when it was originally posted, but i like the other one too. to be honest i think they're really underrated here (for obvious reasons).

i'm drinking some beers and blasting out some priest driven ambulance era flips. (This is my present to world!!)
...it's just a shame it's only gonna reach a few very unimpressed Japanese ears, hehe...
uh, take meta mars...

i wanna go!