The Black Ships - Free EP Download

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

The Black Ships - Free EP Download

Post by TheWarmth »

http://www.theblackships.com/music.html

"You just know when things are right. The four of us met in various circumstances and each meeting was accompanied by this feeling of "we've absolutely got to do more together". And here we are. The joy of music: what does that really mean? Living and breathing it. Obsessing about detail whilst discovering the beauty in chance, and then doing what is necessary to give it life. All the peripheral activity, traditionally taken out of your hands in service of the big organisations of yore becomes a joy in service of the music. It is undoubtedly the hardest work we have collectively put into any band, but the satisfaction is already huge.

"Kurofune" was spawned/recorded in Noah's tiny "Best Kept Secret" studios in Copenhagen in one of the many feverish explorations of what we do as a unit. During the course of other work for earmarked album material, revisions and rethinks, extensions and reductions occurred at: my place in Walworth, South London, Davide's abode in Copenhagen, and Si's place in Chester.

"Rain Down On Me" was never going to make the album in it's original form, it is too much of its own man, it is only here that right and properly, it stands unmolested by the distraction of 'other songs'". "Dawn Till Dusk" exists in several versions, here, we give you a rain soaked soundscape to get lost in. "Northern Rock" is a lullaby to a fallen empire.

I mixed and did final edits over three days in May at my studio in South London and mastered it during rehearsals whilst at Si's in Chester.

This music is of and about the connections and disconnections of human life. It has its own will, and we are glad to obey it. It is a grand thing to be aboard The Black Ships. Welcome.

Nick McCabe"
jadams501
Known user

Re: The Black Ships - Free EP Download

Post by jadams501 »

I was just about to post about this.

Kurofone is a solid EP, definitely worth downloading for any fans of McCabe & Jones. And it's free.

I don't much care for Rain Down On Me, but the other two songs are good atmospheric jams and grooves. I'm looking forward to the LP.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

sounds pretty good. why'd they make it one long track
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

There's certainly some atmosphere about some of this EP but it didn't do much for me I'll admit. A few teeny glimpses of the McCabe machine but little more. I just don't think the tracks are terribly good.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

great to hear something from them at last, and the instrumental stuff sounds ace to me. the bass and guitar are fantastic, as always! and yes, this has atmosphere in spades, and a certain dark/heaviness, which i love. I'm gonna guess that the tracks that make it to the album will have more direction to them too.

have to agree that the vocals (and samples) are a weak link. seems like this is the only thing grounding the ships (sorry!) I'd be happy if the album was entirely instrumental, though i remember reading to the contrary.
Anyway, throwing this on the ipod now and looking forward to hearing more soon! (fingers crossed) 8)
Oh and McCabe, turn your guitar up! :wink:
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I've listened to this twice all the way through and it's a disappointment from my perspective. I can't believe this was recorded by a group of musicians who have all been playing professionally for 20 years or so. It just doesn't sound very good. Simon's bass lacks definition, which is a real bummer because he's so great. The vocals on "Rain Down On Me" are thin and lyrically uninspired. The samples on "Northern Rock" are distracting (to the point of annoyance) and unnecessary. The drum sound is pretty awful throughout the whole thing. I do like the more electronic sound on the beginning of the second track. McCabe's guitar thankfully shines through here and there, but overall this EP is a real mess. Hopefully, the album will sound a lot better when it comes out, but I'm lowering my expectations.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

TheWarmth wrote:I've listened to this twice all the way through and it's a disappointment from my perspective. I can't believe this was recorded by a group of musicians who have all been playing professionally for 20 years or so. It just doesn't sound very good. Simon's bass lacks definition, which is a real bummer because he's so great. The vocals on "Rain Down On Me" are thin and lyrically uninspired. The samples on "Northern Rock" are distracting (to the point of annoyance) and unnecessary. The drum sound is pretty awful throughout the whole thing. I do like the more electronic sound on the beginning of the second track. McCabe's guitar thankfully shines through here and there, but overall this EP is a real mess. Hopefully, the album will sound a lot better when it comes out, but I'm lowering my expectations.

You know it's just a jam session in a small studio space. Nothing properly mixed etc.

Feels like being with a bunch of guys jamming around a few tunes. Is that so bad?

I'm looking forward to the album honestly.

B,

M
Design.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The impression I have gotten from following the Black Ships Facebook page is that this is quite a bit more than just a quicky jam session. They've been working on these recordings for a long time now and my understanding is that they've been labored over intensely. Perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe jadams can chime in here. I think he's heavy into the Verve online community.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

yeah i could have done without the spoken word crap about money, almost ruined it for me
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I don't have a huge amount of info about the Black Ships because they haven't been incredibly forthcoming about what they've been doing all this time. I do know that their rehearsal and recording time has been disrupted periodically by violinist Davide Rossi's touring and recording duties for Coldplay, Goldfrapp, etc. It's hard to say how much of the long run-up to this EP and their live debut next week consisted of actual recording and rehearsal -- McCabe and Jones both have families, and this appears to have been a self-financed effort so I don't know how much expensive studio time they booked.

That said, this was definitely intended as something more than a quickie jam session. In all truth, I'm fairly disappointed by the first track, which sounds to me like a bunch of kids messing around in the studio more than the work of members of one of the best bands of the last 30 years. But, I'm really impressed by tracks 2 & 3, increasingly so as I relisten to them. I agree that the mix is not all that it could be, and I hope that Si Jones' bass is a little more audible on the album, but track 2 is vintage McCabe and I actually think the spoken word sampling is what makes track 3. McCabe described it as "a lullaby for a fallen empire," so if you think of it as being in the same disquieting freakout tradition of Beatles' Revolution 9 and Funkadelic's Wars of Armageddon I think the sampling makes a lot of sense and is well done.

McCabe and Jones have been essential elements of some of my favorite music, so my expectations have been impossibly high. Nothing would please me more than an entire album consisting of tracks like Reprise and the instrumental coda to She's A Superstar, but I don't think that's going to happen. But most of this EP is good enough that I'm still really looking forward to the LP, hopefully later this year.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

[quote="jadams501"]

. Nothing would please me more than an entire album consisting of tracks like Reprise and the instrumental coda to She's A Superstar,quote]

As in Stormy Clouds/Reprise?
One of the most underrated sequences in Verve history! Now were talking!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it's alright, but this isn't that great is it?
I wasn't blown away by the ten minute teaser either. I don't think the final album will be that different from this EP.

it does pain me to say, cause I'm a huge McCabe/Jones fan too.
there's a lot to like about these tracks, and yes, flashes of the old genius. but the true test is, if I heard this and didn't know who it was by, I wouldn't be that bothered.

my dream too would be more for the heavy/intense stuff like Reprise, but I don't think that's gonna happen.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Simon Tongue? Pretty good interview, though. I hope the album is better than the EP.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yep that made me laugh too- Tongie :)

I think its a very good read, he asks a lot of questions I would have asked too, and Nick seems fair minded and happy at the moment. he could have got the knives out for Ashcroft but didn't.
only briefly touches on why Nick's guitar was so damn quiet at those reunion gigs, though. crank it up Nick.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

I love Nick McCabe (and Si Jones, for that matter). Seem like really decent guys. I'll listen to anything those guys put out. Nick's guitar always blows my mind. Here's hoping he does push those faders up at least a few times on the album.

I'm hoping the album is better than the EP, which was a little underwhelming to me. I've got faith though. I think he's right in that this band won't be on the radio any time soon.

Can anyone else see The Verve getting back together in a few years once Ashcroft completes another trilogy of appalling albums and wants to headline a festival again? As stated there's been very little shit slinging, like everyone's on the same page and being a bit more diplomatic.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I wouldn't rule it out entirely, but i'd say it's extremely unlikely.

at least Nick is active and making music this time, unlike the split after UH.

wonder what Pete Salisbury is up to? great drummer.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

angelsighs wrote: wonder what Pete Salisbury is up to? great drummer.
wasnt he drumming for the charlatans? or is their drummer better now?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

oh yeah forgot about that!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

New interview with the Black Ships:

http://thequietus.com/articles/06568-bl ... -interview

Sounds like Kurofune was not necessarily a preview of what will be on the album. I hope we get a lot more of those organic grooves with McCabe's liquid guitar noise... maybe people would say it's too much like Verve, but it's what he and Jones are best at.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

They apparently changed their name to Black Submarine

http://soundcloud.com/blacksubmarineofficial