Suede - Reissues, Etc.

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Suede - Reissues, Etc.

Post by TheWarmth »

(Mod. note - I have merged some posts regarding "The London Suede" from the 'Mercury Rev Roundhouse' topic from the Gigs section into this new thread after The Warmth...BZA)

I never got to see Suede live, so I am quite jealous. I really love the b-side "Whipsnade," which I think was on the "We Are The Pigs" single, but "Killing of a Flashboy" is great, too. Hopefully, the newly remastered albums will come out on double-vinyl and not just cd!
Ian wrote:The one I was waiting for was The Beautiful Ones, which, while far from my favourite Suede song, fitted the celebratory atmosphere perfectly. They closed with it. Other non-first album treats were The Killing of a Flash Boy, Can't Get Enough and Trash. They started the encore with first album b-sides, which I knew were good, but were even better than I remembered. The main show was fine, but the encore was far superior. I would have preferred to go on the Dog Man Star night, but I wasn't planning to go at all and only went to the first night because one of my students had a spare ticket (he caught me listening to Dog Man Star a couple of months back, and very kindly offered it to me when his brother couldn't make it).
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

suede!

Post by BzaInSpace »

Paul, I hope so too but at this point it seems like CD+DVD only. Not that bothered about the DVD and live shows for each album - they are re-releasing all five albums! - but for a total remaster of the first two I'm very keen. They did a great job of last years Best of Suede compilation - I immediately skipped to the Dog Man Star-era tracks and 'Killing Of A Flashboy' (awesome tune - and still hilarious lyrics, to me anyway), 'We Are The Pigs' and the mighty 'Heroine' sound excellent - hey, as good as ever really.

With regards to the vinyl, I still own every Suede single on 12" right up to 'New Generation' (Brian Eno's rework of 'Introducing The Band'!!!) Those early sleeves are fantastic yet very simple, and they're beautiful.

In fact, I have a theory that the quality of the artwork directly correlates to the quality of the music, from Coming Up onwards the sleeve art was terrible. Peter Saville as well! What happened?

They were the first band I ever saw live at the age of 17 - the Coming Up tour and I think it was the first night. They were absolutely amazing. It was a thrill enough to see a 'proper' band at last but they were on fire that night. It was way, way heavier that I thought they would be with just a few slow, ballady numbers. Most of the gig I was being pummelled around in the mosh pit(!). I also remember they played nearly the whole Nevermind the Bollocks album before they came on, this just seemed to amp up the audience even more.

I really have to get around to listening to A New Morning at one point... :wink:
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Suede - Reissues, Etc.

Post by TheWarmth »

I figured we ought to make a separate thread for this, since it was becoming quite a diversion in the Mercury Rev gig thread. I'm looking forward to hearing thoughts on the cd reissues. I normally don't buy cds at all anymore, but if the remaster job and bonus tracks are worth it in the eyes of my fellow Spiritualized fanatics, then I may take the plunge.

Barry ... A New Morning is pretty awful. I cannot recommend it. This is coming from someone who still enjoys a lot of the tracks on Head Music.

On a related note, I'm listening to Brett Anderson's last solo album, Slow Attack, and it's great. It's really lush and orchestral and Brett's voice is fantastic. Recommended.
shalloboi
Known user

Re: Suede - Reissues, Etc.

Post by shalloboi »

i love those first two suede records. the first disc of 'sci-fi lullabies' is great too- way better than a b-sides collection should be. i never bothered with any of the post-brett butler stuff. what's the bonus material on the suede reissues? i had no idea these were coming out...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

You can get all of the info by clicking on each release here:

http://www.suede.co.uk/

There is a fucking amazing song with Neil Codling on lead vocals on one of the Lazy cd singles called "Digging a Hole." Why in the hell did they leave that off this supposedly all-encompassing reissue of Coming Up??? Maybe they consider it a Codling solo song, but it came out on a Suede record, so what's the deal?
bruce_brobertson
Known user

Post by bruce_brobertson »

TheWarmth wrote:I figured we ought to make a separate thread for this, since it was becoming quite a diversion in the Mercury Rev gig thread. I'm looking forward to hearing thoughts on the cd reissues. I normally don't buy cds at all anymore, but if the remaster job and bonus tracks are worth it in the eyes of my fellow Spiritualized fanatics, then I may take the plunge.

Barry ... A New Morning is pretty awful. I cannot recommend it. This is coming from someone who still enjoys a lot of the tracks on Head Music.

On a related note, I'm listening to Brett Anderson's last solo album, Slow Attack, and it's great. It's really lush and orchestral and Brett's voice is fantastic. Recommended.
I thought "Positivity" and "Beautiful Loser" were decent tracks on A New Morning, yes?
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

I always thought Coming Up was the best thing they ever did. Pure, undiluted and brilliant pop songs with no pomposity or lack of focus throughout its 10 tracks. Dare I say it, the debut was overrated and the subsequent album a bit overblown and overwrought. And I always felt Bernard Butler was a total runner-up to the Greenwood/McCabe/Coxons of the same era. But I'd still take the first two albums miles ahead of the terrible Head Music (the sound of someone hopelessly lost to drugs and unable to write anything except very bad songs). That album left such a bad impression I never listened to the last album. But respect to them, for their stronger moments make them worthwhile in my book.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Coming Up is great, but I can see how some people who really loved the first two might have a hard time getting on board with it. As for Head Music, I don't understand why it gets such a bad rap. There are plenty of good songs on it.

Bruce: A New Morning definitely isn't all bad, but I don't think there is any question that it's Suede's weakest album.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Coming Up wasn't a bad record at all. I saw them for that tour at the Supper Club as well as the first US tour at Irving Plaza in '93. These remasters look really good. I'm probably going to order the first two, for now, and if they're as good as they look I will probably go for Coming Up as well. FYI...If your in the States, a lot cheaper ordering from amazon uk.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

may be off topic but..

anyone know if brett ever made a studio recording of his robert wyatt cover "sea song" ?
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

these look beautiful

i wish more bands would do these kind of comprehensive packages.. like blur for one .. or the verve.. i could go on lol
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

With regards to Head Music, I remember really liking it at the time, I thought the lead-off single 'Electricity' was absolutely fantastic - new phase Suede! - although once again a lot of that was down to where I was and what was happening at the time.

Unlike the permanent wintry vibe of Dog Man Star, Head Music has a definitive summery anthemic quality (although again this could just be down to the time of its release) despite it's intended more electronic/cold feel.

However - I don't think it's maybe aged that well and parts of it just sounds tired and uninspired - although I'd agree with Paul in that around half of it's good.

Brett Anderson wanted it remixed by Prince at the time of its release! Would have been interesting although completely unlikely to be honest... I doubt Brett was Prince's type!
radioshack wrote:I always thought Coming Up was the best thing they ever did. Pure, undiluted and brilliant pop songs with no pomposity or lack of focus throughout its 10 tracks. Dare I say it, the debut was overrated and the subsequent album a bit overblown and overwrought. And I always felt Bernard Butler was a total runner-up to the Greenwood/McCabe/Coxons of the same era. But I'd still take the first two albums miles ahead of the terrible Head Music (the sound of someone hopelessly lost to drugs and unable to write anything except very bad songs). That album left such a bad impression I never listened to the last album. But respect to them, for their stronger moments make them worthwhile in my book.
Really? I would consider Bernard Butler better than those three combined! :oops: As a junior budding guitar player you could (almost?) play along to him, and he wasn't into obscure chords or virtuosity just for the sake of it... Greenwood! :wink:

You should revisit Dog Man Star again sometime. It's obviously completely different from Coming Up, but a different kind of trip I guess. I loved Coming Up when it first came out - interested to see what the remaster can do for that album as it was pretty tinny sounding (deliberately so I think) - but in retrospect it would have been better to have had the brilliant 'Together' on there (debut Oakes recording!) instead of a few of the songs on the second side.

Lastly, some years ago from a library I borrowed the Suede biography named Love & Poison, written by a band insider with their blessing which is really surprising as even I was pretty shocked at the tales of mad debauchery within.... Its surprising that Head Music was ever finished due to the carnage going down, most of it crack related. :shock:
Sadly, this book only goes for silly money now but if you can find a copy at a decent price it's well recommended.
O P 8
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

http://www.3dicd.com/Suede/

you can preview the booklets here.. they look real nice

brett speaks candidly about each album and even offers up his own revised tracklistings
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

WOW! Thank you K.O. - those look amazing! :shock: They have done a real proper job with these... excellent and annoying in equal measure as it'll be much later in the year before I can purchase - no mention of being limited editions or anything so hopefully they'll remain in print for a bit.

Digging the alternative artwork for Head Music - so much better than the death-by-photoshop monstrosity on the release.
I believe that's Neil Codling and Brett's missus at the time...
Also think the original photo for Coming Up would have made a much better sleeve too. :wink:

I note Brett Anderson's revised tracklisting for Dog Man Star loses 'The Power' and, insanely, 'Black and Blue'!!!
Although he would have put 'Dark Star', 'Flashboy' and 'The Living Dead' instead I say they all should have been on it and made a truly awesome double album. A proper double album - except that every track would be essential!
O P 8
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

BzaInSpace wrote: Although he would have put 'Dark Star', 'Flashboy' and 'The Living Dead' instead I say they all should have been on it and made a truly awesome double album. A proper double album - except that every track would be essential!
Yes!! an even more pompous dog man star.. I like that idea
I believe DMS and SFL has their best stuff.
..not scared of pretentiousness as long as it´s justified (by actually being awesome)
People who constantly are scared of being seen as pretentious make piss poor art.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

These reissues look amazing! Total exemplary form from Suede to have lovingly and exhaustingly put together such amazing reissues of the albums. Other bands should really take note.

Much like Barry, money's the only thing stopping me from getting hold of these any time soon. Hopefully they'll pick up some new fans along the way with these though. Kudos to Suede.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

scratch wrote:..not scared of pretentiousness as long as it´s justified (by actually being awesome)
on that note, i can't wait to hear the 'original unedited version' of the asphalt world :)
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

anyone give these a listen yet? ive only heard the debut and it sounds fantastic

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/154 ... e-edition/

a pretty good write up for the first 2 even if i think the scores are underselling them a bit

ps. thanks for the heads up on whoever suggested amazon.uk instead of importing from the US.. much cheaper indeed
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I think I'm going to buy Suede, DMS and Coming Up after I get paid. I can't resist. I'll report back, but it'll be a few weeks since they'll be shipping from the UK.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Just got the Dog Man Star reissue today and I must say it sounds fantastic. I always felt that the original cd sounded a bit muddy, but that's all cleared up. And it's not overcompressed, dynamic range of 8, which is quite okay for modern masters. The unedited version of Aphalt World clocks in at nearly 12 minutes and is pretty great. Not too thrilled about the unedited version of Wild Ones, though :?
Anyhow, good reissuing job well done, imho!
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

The dvd interviews from the first two records are blinding. With the Primal Scream 'making of' you had a pretty clear, but funny, run through of how that made the record. With Suede it is at times quite uncomfortablw watching them recount the pain. Quite a few references to Jason Pierce.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Interesting! What connection was there between Spaceman and Suede?
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

ed buller who produced Suede and DMS also produced Lazer Guided Melodies

i think they mention how he thought it was gonna be easy to work with suede after coming from spiritualized as jason is known to be finicky in the studio or something

and bernard mentions spiritualized being a great band

not sure if theres references on the DMS dvd i only watched self-titled
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

I read in the june mojo that they listened a lot to the ninth wave (second lp side of kate bush´s hounds of love) while writing dog man star. Didn´t we discuss that lp-side a few months back? I don´t hear it on DMS but I guess both can be filed under dark pop..
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

scratch wrote:I read in the june mojo that they listened a lot to the ninth wave (second lp side of kate bush´s hounds of love) while writing dog man star. Didn´t we discuss that lp-side a few months back? I don´t hear it on DMS but I guess both can be filed under dark pop..
this makes something like 'daddy's speeding' and 'the 2 of us' make a little more sense to me- i'd always wondered how they came up with those two but that seems like a good explanation. i could also see how listening to 'the ninth wave' could encourage them to go for something a lot more grandiose.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Yas! First day off in a week, and thanks to an ultra quick super-saver delivery from amazon and the remains of a christmas token, I now am the proud owner of the deluxe Dog Man Star.

It looks beautiful and I've just poured a large one and am gonna cue it up and entertain me, and the neighbours... :wink:
O P 8
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I'm tempted by the debut I must admit, which was the era I really liked. Such a great record. I've never heard Dog Man Star, having moved onto other sounds/bands by then.

I've got the debut on original vinyl. Just seen one go on ebay for £78!! Tempted to sell mine, then pick up the deluxe on cd for £9.99 to have all the B sides as well. Could come to regret it though what with emotional attachments and all that.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

My vinyl copy of the first album has just come out of the attic, and is on the deck! Great sound - not sure it needed remastering? Surprised how good nick my copy is in as well (not touting for sale though).

sm-iom
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I have been listening to Dog Man Star, having just received the reissues of the first three Suede albums. I still like that album a lot. There are two songs on it that I think are arguably weak. "The Power" seems throwaway, although it's still enjoyable. I have more of an issue with "This Hollywood Life," which is meant to feel very energetic, but just comes off forced with Bernard's guitars forced low in the mix beneath Brett's vocals until finally given the opportunity to come out and breath for a spectacularly fuzzy solo that nearly saves the song. Also, I think that the Stay Together single is one of the best singles from the 90's. It still resonates with me and all three songs are killer.

I put on Coming Up on my headphones yesterday. Is it me or is the low end even less present than on the original master of this album? The bass is virtually inaudible. Frustrating.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Agree that The Power is lightweight, although still not bad. I adore This Hollywood Life, though. Stay Together is better than I remembered, but was the first time that I thought they had underperformed, and I stick by that... They hadn't got the portentousness worked out as well as they had by Dog Man Star.

I'm finding a lot to love in the last two albums, which has surprised me. Head Music has some amazing songs; I already rated Can't Get Enough highly, but Hi-Fi and He's Gone are fantastic too. The demo of Everything Will Flow absolutely slaughters the finished version. A New Morning is far from a success, but Beautiful Loser is my Suede song of the moment.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk