psychedelic comp help

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bunnyben
Known user

psychedelic comp help

Post by bunnyben »

can anyone recomend a good psychedelic compilation? i used to have a great one that felt like being trapped in a dr who and star trek episode but i cannot recall it's name
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
redcloud
Known user

Re: psychedelic comp help

Post by redcloud »

Well, I guess it depends on if you are looking for some good old school 60's psych or if you are more interested in contemporary psych.

60's wise: The Pebbles series, Nuggets, Fading Yellow and the assorted "High's in the 60's" (that compiled garage/psych punk bands from specific States) are all good places to start. But there are a ton of compilation albums out there.

Contemporary psych: The Brian Jonestown Massacre forum seems to have quite a lot of people uploading their own homemade mixes/compilations on there. A couple people have sent me a few of the comps off that forum. But, some legit releases out of the UK that immediately come to mind are the Northern Star & Psilocybin Sounds compilation discs that compile contemporary bands from the US, UK and Australia/NZ.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

what was that series called that had a compilation for every country?

I remember los dug dug´s and their excellent lost in my world was on the mexican one.
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

are you referring to this? its great.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-Calico-W ... 797&sr=1-2
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

scratch wrote:what was that series called that had a compilation for every country?

I remember los dug dug´s and their excellent lost in my world was on the mexican one.
That would be the "Love, Peace & Poetry" compilation sets. They are excellent!

The Los Dug Dugs released a killer LP of garage, fuzz punk. The Kaleidoscope album (Mexican band not to be confused with the two other more well known Kaleidoscope's from the US and UK) is also well worth picking up.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

bunnyben wrote:can anyone recomend a good psychedelic compilation? i used to have a great one that felt like being trapped in a dr who and star trek episode but i cannot recall it's name
Well, it all depends on what precisely you mean by "psychedelic" -- if you want garage bands, the comps recommended above are good choices. If you're looking for material more like what you'd hear on Star Trek or Dr. Who, you might want to look into lounge and library music comps from the era, as well as soundtracks.

Some highlights include The Sound Gallery series, Alan Hawkshaw, Bob Crewe, Lee Hazlewood, and the actual soundtracks to shows like Star Trek and The Prisoner. All of this stuff will make you feel like you're a frazzled pilgrim wandering through some 1960s dreamscape.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

redcloud wrote: The Los Dug Dugs released a killer LP of garage, fuzz punk.
the second one, smog, is also great.. maybe even better... but has no english vocals.

compared to the first one it sounds more like early sabbath or jethro tull before they got lost in the prog swamp..
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
bruce_brobertson
Known user

Post by bruce_brobertson »

If I were you I would start with the Nuggets Compilation, some quality songs on there.

Got this a bit ago, I think its alright - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-Song-We-Si ... B000PHX0VE

Also got into the "Acid Dreams" series, the ears are holding up well so far!.
TogetherWeCan
Known user

Post by TogetherWeCan »

The Amorphous Adrogynous - A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind

It can be found on Spotify and should take you on a bit of a mixed bag journey.

Get an idea here of what they're all about

http://www.myspace.com/amorphousandrogynous
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

^this is going down very well on this monday morning, thanks.