Detailed breakdown of "Don't Just Do Something"

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

GrantV
New user

Detailed breakdown of "Don't Just Do Something"

Post by GrantV »

Hi everyone. I'm new to the boards but a longtime fan of Spiritualized + J. Spaceman. I've written a detailed analysis of "Don't Just Do Something" at my music blog An Objective Listen. The site attempts to combine my skills as a part-time business analyst and as a part-time songwriter, for a hopefully objective take on popular musical works.

http://anobjectivelisten.wordpress.com/ ... on-pierce/

Have a read. Let me know what you think!

-Gv
toomilk
Known user

Re: Detailed breakdown of "Don't Just Do Something"

Post by toomilk »

I think it's a fantastic entry and idea in general. In the iPod/mp3 generation, people have stopped listening to music in this analytical/objective way, or at least on their own time.

I like that you chose "Don't Just Do Something." In my opinion, it embodies the style that Jason has always strived for, but could never really accomplish. All of the gospel, blues, and soul he cites uses tons of word-painting, which has pretty much been absent in Jason's music. That's not to say he has "failed" in his music - I think the complete opposite.

"Don't Just Do Something" is a great song, but I don't really think the word-/mood-painting is intentional. Although what is said in the post is true, you may be over-analyzing the melodic structure of the song in this respect. I would say that the up and down melodic structure is just an extrapolation of something that Jason uses A LOT. The root to fifth or root to octave and back down arpeggio is prevalent in Spiritualized's music. Shine a Light, Lord Can You Hear Me, Stay With Me, All of My Thoughts, Let it Flow, All of My Tears, Take Your Time, 200 Bars, Cool Waves etc (i could go on) use this rising/descending melody. So you might be better off saying their whole musical body presents the "what goes up must come down" argument.

I still like what you're doing though. Objectively, LAGWAFIS (song) would be a great one to break down. A Pachelbel round eventually leading to 5 (+?) Jasons layering counterpoint like it's going out of style. Goddamn.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I too found this really interesting, and I agreed with most of your points. Interesting that you started with one of J's grandest and most heavily produced songs -- I'll be interested next in hearing your take on something of his a little more minimalistic.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

nice. this is one of my favourite Spz songs. I can see why you chose it as there's a lot to get your teeth into- it's one of those songs that hits me on every level- melodically, physically (those massive strings and the move into the "babe, i'm going nowhere bit" is huge, you can really feel the whole ensemble shift), emotionally, and for want of a better word, intellectually (the lyrics are really clever and food for thought)

a bit more analysis on the lyrics rather than the structure would have been cool. it's a song where Jason has really put lots of effort into the words (which he doesn't always, it's fair to say) and it really shows. I reckon it's a song about a mixture of laziness/depression/arrogance/shyness all bundled in and stopping the subject from engaging in life, achieving things, connecting with people etc. I reckon J revisited this on Baby I'm Just A Fool too.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Brilliant!

B,

M
Design.
nimatiks
Known user

Post by nimatiks »