The Dylan Thread

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, spzretent, BzaInSpace, runcible

Re: The Dylan Thread

Postby angelsighs » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:17 pm

Dylan winning the Nobel seems to have enraged quite a few people which is funny. still somehow managing to troll people after all this time :)
Dylan does seem to be a bit of a marmite artist. you either get him in a deep way, or can't see what all the fuss is about.

FWIW I think it's a bit of a red herring- yes he's one of my favourite lyricists but I don't think his work counts as literature or poetry. only a few of the lyrics read well off the page- it's all so intertwined with the delivery and performance.
angelsighs
Known user

Postby jack white » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:43 am

Poetry is meant to be delivered and performed, it's all so intertwined in the language & form. Of course it counts as poetry. Anthony Kedis is a lyricist, Thom Yorke's a lyricist. Bob Dylan is a poet.
Lou: ... We're just out of balance
Betsy: you & me?
Lou: [the] whole world
jack white
Known user

Postby semisynthetic » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:13 am

jack white wrote:Poetry is meant to be delivered and performed, it's all so intertwined in the language & form. Of course it counts as poetry. Anthony Kedis is a lyricist, Thom Yorke's a lyricist. Bob Dylan is a poet.

I do believe Poetry CAN be performed; but I also believe the difference between a musical presentation of "Poetic Lyrics" is, well, a musical performance. The Poetry Reading is an older form that one must look for in the World of Today; I have a wonderful Flyer from the 1890's of "A Miss (someone) will give her Interpretation of (someone's Poem), "X" at this place and this time. It had such wonderful artwork I used it to create a Flyer for a Graduate Student, "The Lovely Miss R. Will give her Novel Synthesis of Linear Dienones" and so on. But there was no music in either case, simply a talented delivery of Words of Meaning. Rarely does one see a Poetry Reading outside of academia or someone selling their latest book.

When I think of Poetry, there need not be anyone else but myself reading. A performance of Shakespeare is a play; the reading of it alone, by myself, is mine alone. I can understand how many people would be reticent to give an award for Literature to a Songwriter. I believe they invoked the impact of this one person over the decades to back their reasoning, and I am not bothered by it. It's their party, so the favors and prizes they give are theirs to give. As for myself, I tend to look at Poetry in a more classical manner, read to ones self, or perhaps to another, but not a "sold out house" unless the booking clearly reads Poetry Reading. When a band is added, it is music. In Book form, Lyrics can be Poetry for the way it will be "performed" - quietly alone in most cases.

Still, there ARE Lyrics that stand alone as wonderful Poetry; but I am more likely to think of Poetry as something read by myself, or read aloud. Are Bob Dylan's words alone Poetry? Surely, as many lyrics are. Simply remove the music. Much of music is poetry set to music, and some performances may be considered as "pure poetry". Still, I understand why others disagree, or why my interpretation is too narrow. To each his own, or her own. Maybe I just like to have those things that are defined to be reconsidered if they are changed significantly. Otherwise, what "meaning" is there to anything with meaning?
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Postby TheWarmth » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:51 pm

In reviewing the releases in the Bootleg Series, I realized that I missed out on Vol. 8: Tell Tale Signs (Rare & Unreleased 1986-2006). I found a copy on Discogs and purchased it today. Looking forward to it. Curious if anyone here has thoughts on this volume.
TheWarmth
Known user

Postby jack white » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:19 pm

Unsurprisingly, I love tell tale signs.
I don't want to spoil it for you by hyping it up so I'll say no more. Post yer thoughts tho when you listen to it please.

Some of us scare ourselves to death in the dark
To be where the angels fly..
Lou: ... We're just out of balance
Betsy: you & me?
Lou: [the] whole world
jack white
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:02 pm

Tell Tale Signs is one of the very best of the Bootleg Series in my opinion.
angelsighs
Known user

Postby The Dr » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:07 pm

angelsighs wrote:Tell Tale Signs is one of the very best of the Bootleg Series in my opinion.

go tell ol' bill
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
The Dr
Known user

Postby The Dr » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:37 pm

The Dr
Known user

Postby BzaInSpace » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:00 pm

The triple-album part excited me.

The yet more old-time covers aspect does not... :(
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Postby angelsighs » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:41 pm

yeah, not really interested in this. I agree it's cool that it's a triple album but another album of covers is not that exciting.
from what I heard of the Sinatra ones, his bands playing was really nice and stuff and he did okay but I would much rather hear him do original songs.
if he was doing covers I would prefer they were totally random or modern tunes rather than old standards too. he's covered the odd weird one on the Never Ending Tour..

he's no spring chicken.. I wonder if Tempest will remain his last statement of original songs?
angelsighs
Known user

Postby The Dr » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:19 am

hint?

I mentioned last Monday that we would soon have full details about Clinton Heylin’s new Dylan book “Trouble In Mind: Bob Dylan’s Gospel Years — What Really Happened.” Published in the UK by those nice people at route publishing, the book will be issued in paperback to coincide with the next official Bootleg Series box set release. Due for publication in the UK during the first week of November

plus

I’m hearing rumours that Bob spent time in a studio while in Ireland at the end of his European tour. I mentioned in the latest issue of ISIS some weeks back that Dylan spent several days in Ireland after his concert at the 3Arena in Dublin on Thursday May 11. I heard he was in Dublin until the Monday after the show, which at the time seemed a little strange to me. Well, it appears that during this time he spent three days at Ardmore Studios in Bray. There are rumours that he might have been recording an album there but this would seem extremely unlikely. Ardmore Studios in Killarney, Bray, are used almost exclusively for recording film, television and video. Irish band The Corrs has recorded two albums there but both of those involved filming: “The Corrs Unplugged” was part of MTV’s Unplugged series and “The Corrs, Live In Dublin” was part of the VH1 Presents series.

With its five sound stages, all geared up primarily for film work, Ardmore Studios is just 12 miles south of Dublin city. The recording is said to have been carried out with Irish engineers but also possibly with US personnel flown in for the duration. Dylan’s tour band was present throughout.

The Dr
Known user

Postby TheWarmth » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:58 pm

My understanding is the the next Bootleg release is definitely a gospel years set.
TheWarmth
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:48 am

yeah there's been a fair few leaks and tidbits about the next Bootleg Series which is definitely going to be a Gospel Years set. It's unclear how many discs it's going to be (probably with various options for how big your wallet is) but will probably include some video, a complete live show as well as studio versions of songs not heard before.
Not sure I'm that interested in this period to be honest, having said that the Bootleg Series can often be really good at making you reevaluate the era it documents. I always got the impression Self Portrait was crap, but Another Self Portrait was a great listen.
angelsighs
Known user

Postby The Dr » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:32 pm

i recently found the 1965 bonus live shows avaible to download online. don't know if i'll ever listen to them though!

also doing the rounds is a live snippet of lily,...jack of hearts never heard before from the rolling thunder warm ups. seems the one after may be rolling thunder

The Dr
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:14 pm

I remember that live version of Lily.. being rumoured for ages. I think it was seen on setlists but never actually circulated until now. I'm curious, but it's not a song I have much fondness for- it totally ruins the flow of Blood On The Tracks!
angelsighs
Known user

Previous

Return to Music (Dedicated to Fuzzhead)