noel gallagher solo record details

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bunnyben
Known user

noel gallagher solo record details

Post by bunnyben »

http://www.nme.com/news/oasis/57804

out oct 17th so nothing worth worrying about till the 18th :wink:
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: noel gallagher solo record details

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm looking forward to hearing the solo album. Not so sure about the Amorphous Androgynous collaboration. The ludicrous remix they did of "Falling Down" was pretty awful. I suppose it had its moments, but for the most part it's really cringe-inducing.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Great news! (and further details at http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/sn ... 6163.story)

I've been looking forward to this release ever since Oasis broke up. I've got high hopes and expectations for this one -- Noel-sung Oasis tracks have always been my faves.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Quite a few of the songs on that tracklist are already available online if you look hard enough. Stop The Clocks even sounds completed on the version I heard.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I know there's a YouTube video of Noel playing "If I Had A Gun" at a soundcheck. I recall not liking the demo of "Record Machine," but maybe the final product will win me over.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Not so sure about the Amorphous Androgynous collaboration. The ludicrous remix they did of "Falling Down" was pretty awful. I suppose it had its moments, but for the most part it's really cringe-inducing.
:shock: hey,hey, I got to put my hand up to enjoying it!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

weirdly (cause ive not followed Oasis in ten years or so) I'm quite interested to hear what Noel comes up with. maybe being out from under the banner of Oasis will free him up a bit. he won't have the pressure of having to write the next big anthem
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I can take him or leave him to be honest. I'm not expecting anything special but, on the other hand, it'd be nice to be pleasantly surprised. Not sure if him leaving Oasis will stop him churning out the anthems though Sighs.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

http://www.youtube.com/user/NoelGallagherTV

press conference

"thats how rock n roll i am.. going to buy a kettle" :lol:

noels a cool guy

"if i had a gun" sounds great.. cant wait to hear a finished version
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah i'm just speculating, but I hope that he just relaxes and does what comes naturally. with latter day Oasis some of the singles especially seemed like really contrived and clunky ways to write the next anthem, and anything hinting at an evolution was done really tentatively.
he seems to have done the intelligent thing by lying low and keeping quiet, and now he's got two albums to go.

it is disappointing that I recognise some of those song titles as being Oasis outtakes (therefore not even good enough to make their crappy latter day albums??), however guess they might just not have fit, or Liam didn't wanna sing them or something.

of course this may all turn out to be another instance of Robbie/Gary or Brown/Squire where the songwriter flops and the 'talentless' one thrives!!
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

The press conference was interesting. He was really funny and open, but the press seemed to just die after a while. All the jokes were falling flat and tone went really sombre. The story of the Oasis fight seemed to really change the atmosphere. Liam does seem like a complete tosser though. Noel doesn't seem like the guy you would have a major argument with, nor does he seem like the guy to provoke you and start a fight. It's pretty interesting he is seemingly no longer friends with Andy Bell.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Seems like it would be difficult for him to remain close with Gem or Andy when they are members of Liam's band, but was there something in the video of the press conference that makes you think he's not friends with Andy anymore? Just curious. I haven't watched the video yet.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Good press conference. Comes out much cooler than Liam who seems like a twat.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

TheWarmth wrote:.... was there something in the video of the press conference that makes you think he's not friends with Andy anymore? Just curious. I haven't watched the video yet.
A few things. When he mentions the night of the fall-out, he says something to the effect of 'Andy kept counting over and over how many shoes he was wearing', I guess suggesting Andy didn't get involved in the arguments or stick up for Noel and kind of took Liam's side by not disapproving of his violent and aggresive antics or stepping in in some capacity. I think I might feel the same. If a guy was acting as volatile and directing a load of venom at me, then started swinging a guitar at me and no-one jumped to defend me, or was acting like nothing happened....well, I feel I can see his point. But if he smashed my Gibson semi-acoustic!!!!......anyway....

The other thing was a journalist asking his opinion of the Beady Eye record. He says out of respect to the 2 friends he has in the band (who he names as Gem and Sharrock), he won't bad-mouth it. He says it's 'alright' and knew most of the songs anyway from Oasis days. So I guess andy ain't his friend no more.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Noel Gallagher has announced full details of his new solo debut album 'Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds' at a London press conference.

The ex-Oasis guitarist said his new record will be released on his own label Sour Mash Records on October 17 and will be followed up by a second collaboration LP in 2012 with Amorphous Androgynous.

The LP, his first material since Oasis split in August 2009, was recorded in London and completed in Los Angeles during 2010 and the first half of this year. It features 10 new songs and was produced by Gallagher and Dave Sardy.

Musicians appearing on the records include ex-Oasis keyboard player Mike Rowe, The Lemon Trees' Jeremy Stacey and American percussionist Lenny Castro, best known for playing on records by The Rolling Stones, Stevie Wonder and Elton John.

The album also includes guest appearances from the Crouch End Festival Chorus, who Oasis and Gallagher have performed with before, and The Wired Strings.

Gallagher is due to tour in the autumn but no further details have been announced yet. He launched his own official website, Twitter, YouTube, Facebook and MySpace ahead of the press conference. No material has been posted up on any site so far.

The full tracklisting for 'Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds' is as follows:

'Everybody's On The Run'
'Dream On'
'If I Had A Gun'
'The Death Of You And Me'
'(I Wanna Live In A Dream In My) Record Machine'
'AKA...What A Life!'
'Soldier Boys And Jesus Freaks'
'AKA....Broken Arrow'
'(Stranded On) The Wrong Beach'
'Stop The Clocks'
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

radioshack wrote:Quite a few of the songs on that tracklist are already available online if you look hard enough. Stop The Clocks even sounds completed on the version I heard.
Record Machine was on the Shoulder of Giants demos, I believe, and sounded pretty complete. It'll be interesting to see if he takes it in another direction, but even if he doesn't the song was a total bootleg that has never been officially released at all, so I see no problem with releasing it.

I do think Stop The Clocks is a very strange inclusion, though. Again it'll be interesting if it's a very different arrangement from the leaked version, but I don't know why he would close his first solo album with a song whose title graced an Oasis greatest hits compilation that sold lots of copies. I could see it as a b-side or bonus track, as the closer of his solo LP? Weird.

It makes me think that Noel's had some writers' block. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

angelsighs wrote:yeah i'm just speculating, but I hope that he just relaxes and does what comes naturally.

of course this may all turn out to be another instance of Robbie/Gary or Brown/Squire where the songwriter flops and the 'talentless' one thrives!!
just wondering....out of Brown/Squire.....who is the talentless one?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

solarflarez wrote:
angelsighs wrote:yeah i'm just speculating, but I hope that he just relaxes and does what comes naturally.

just wondering....out of Brown/Squire.....who is the talentless one?
general opinion, at least at the time of the split, would be Brown (terrible singing at Reading, Squire wrote all songs on Second Coming etc). however this is obviously up for debate (reason I put it in inverted commas)- I think they are both talented in different ways, and like many partnerships much better together
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

has ian brown really thrived? i guess he's released a bunch of solo albums but none of them are particularly good from what i've heard .. maybe people disagree
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Ian Brown has only managed one consistent solo album (Music of the Spheres, which is fantastic), and all of the others are marred with at least a couple of bum tracks, but his best material is really excellent. I'd say he's thrived overall, though. Certainly more than John Squire has.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

whatever you think of Ian's solo albums (they are pretty patchy, but definitely with their moments), the fact that he is still releasing them how ever many years later and having reasonable commercial success means he's doing alright for himself. I would never have put money on that. and although you could argue that Squire has given up music for his painting by choice, his solo albums hardly set the world alight.

wonder how Beady Eye v Noel will pan out in terms of commercial success
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

entirely consistent or no, i love brownie's solo stuff (i skipped 'the world is yours' though).
and yeah, music of the spheres is awesome.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

jadams501 wrote:
radioshack wrote:Quite a few of the songs on that tracklist are already available online if you look hard enough. Stop The Clocks even sounds completed on the version I heard.
Record Machine was on the Shoulder of Giants demos, I believe, and sounded pretty complete. It'll be interesting to see if he takes it in another direction, but even if he doesn't the song was a total bootleg that has never been officially released at all, so I see no problem with releasing it.

I do think Stop The Clocks is a very strange inclusion, though. Again it'll be interesting if it's a very different arrangement from the leaked version, but I don't know why he would close his first solo album with a song whose title graced an Oasis greatest hits compilation that sold lots of copies. I could see it as a b-side or bonus track, as the closer of his solo LP? Weird.

It makes me think that Noel's had some writers' block. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
didn't he call it his best song ever?
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

moop wrote:entirely consistent or no, i love brownie's solo stuff (i skipped 'the world is yours' though).
and yeah, music of the spheres is awesome.
The World Is Yours has two songs on it that I ever listen to, it's by far his weakest album. Each of his other albums has at least 3-4 really good tracks on it. Maybe he and Ashcroft should release Recurring-style split LPs so that they can release the gems and work on some of the filler. With both artists, you need patience for the mediocre material but persistence will be rewarded.
bunnyben wrote:didn't he call it his best song ever?
I think Noel has said this about half the songs he's ever written. He's prone to hyperbole -- Stop the Clocks won't be his best song, just like Be Here Now is much better than he now gives it credit for.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

jadams501 wrote:
I think Noel has said this about half the songs he's ever written. He's prone to hyperbole -- Stop the Clocks won't be his best song, just like Be Here Now is much better than he now gives it credit for.
From wiki..
More details about the song were revealed by Gallagher at the Glastonbury Festival in June 2004, with Noel telling a backstage programme on BBC Three that the track was seven minutes long and would probably never be performed live because it was, "just me and an acoustic guitar and lots of backwards stuff and it's something to be listened to when one is very high".

maybe i'm reading too much into it, but this seems different to his usual hyperbole. to me it seems like Noel's comments back in 2004 point to the song being much more personal to him than most and so fit with his having taking a long time trying to get the song just right, and ultimately just keeping it for himself. It's placing at the end of the album also fits with such a description.

[EDIT] I just noticed this too:
During promotional interviews for Don't Believe the Truth, Noel was asked about the song a few times, but he never said anything about the track other than what he talked about in an Oasisinet.com webcast on April 22, 2005. In a two-hour chat with fans, hosted by Gary Crowley, Noel was asked about the song and why it wasn't on the record. He replied: "The whole album was kind of based around that song. It was kind of a long "Champagne Supernova"-type thing and it's got fantastic lyrics and a great vibe, but I felt that we never really got the correct version. We've got 6 or 7 versions of it and not one of them really sat in the pocket for me. But it's there and it will now be on the back burner. Originally the album was going to be called Stop the Clocks, which would have been a great title but, because these songs were so new, that song began to feel very old because it was written in 2001. But it will come out eventually."

and this

In late 2006 interviews to promote the Stop the Clocks album, Noel was asked about the song repeatedly and that he'd said it was his best song ever - comments that he attempted to dampen. In an interview for The Sun, the band were asked about the song. Noel replied by saying "Every time I write a new song I say it's the best ever! But it's not the best thing I've ever written. There are about ten different versions and I can't decide on which one. It's a good song, the lyrics are great." Liam said, "I don't think it's the best he's written — it's a tune but not his best. He's done about four versions but he's not happy with it so it's a bit of a nightmare." Andy Bell, however, called it "amazing".[2]

In an interview for MTVU.com, Noel said "I did say at the time that it was my best song ever, but I'm kind of prone to saying things like that, as you probably know."

hilarious!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

jadams501 wrote:
yes i was thinking that, but one of these times it must be true, surely? :lol:
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

moop wrote:
jadams501 wrote: In late 2006 interviews to promote the Stop the Clocks album, Noel was asked about the song repeatedly and that he'd said it was his best song ever - comments that he attempted to dampen. In an interview for The Sun, the band were asked about the song. Noel replied by saying "Every time I write a new song I say it's the best ever! But it's not the best thing I've ever written. There are about ten different versions and I can't decide on which one. It's a good song, the lyrics are great." Liam said, "I don't think it's the best he's written — it's a tune but not his best. He's done about four versions but he's not happy with it so it's a bit of a nightmare." Andy Bell, however, called it "amazing".[2]
the whole of the sun interview was actually a three way phone conversation between laim, noel and andy. isn't it odd seeing mr bell of ride as a sidekick, espcailly when he wrote the best song on the last oasis album?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Andy wrote "The Nature Of Reality." You really think that's the best song on Dig Out Your Soul? I count 7 that I like quite a bit more and 6 of them were written by Noel. As far as I'm concerned, the last four songs on the album, none of which were written by Noel, are the weakest and this is why I'm excited about his solo LP.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

To Andy Bell's credit, he wrote "Turn Up The Sun," one of my favorites from the previous album. And I quite like "Nature of Reality" as well. Not to blaspheme, but I prefer those tracks to anything I've heard by Ride...

On the other hand, "I'm Outta Time" might be my least favorite Oasis song ever. I was relieved when most of the Beady Eye record was better than that.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

TheWarmth wrote:Andy wrote "The Nature Of Reality." You really think that's the best song on Dig Out Your Soul? I count 7 that I like quite a bit more and 6 of them were written by Noel. As far as I'm concerned, the last four songs on the album, none of which were written by Noel, are the weakest and this is why I'm excited about his solo LP.
i think it's the most interesting song on the album. the rest is standard oasis-fare (which is a good thing) but this one actually had an interesting new direction which would be great if they follow up in their next album...!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

had a flick thru the NME in the shop and Noel expands on the Andy Bell thing.
Noel is indeed still upset with Andy not doing anything when Liam was going mental at him, although he does qualify that Andy is generally a 'lovely guy' and was good to be in a band with.

most of the Beady Eye songs had been knocking around as Oasis songs for a while too.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

his new single video is on here

http://www.noelgallagher.com/
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i've ripped it off the site using audacity so if you want it etc. it's wave format and if the sound quality isn't great or etc then wait for the album :P

http://hotfile.com/dl/124971153/ec68b01/noel.wav.html

i like it. it reminds of 'importance of being idle' era and maybe a bit stereophonically but this one song is so much better than all of the beady i (iBeady) stuff i have heard thus far
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

bunnyben wrote:... maybe a bit stereophonically...
Ben, Christ! Talk about damning with faint praise.

No offense likes - but I suspect this just won't be for me. :wink:
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm really excited to listen to this. I went to the website this morning, but was distracted by a sceaming 2 year old. I'll get around to it later on this afternoon. Looks like there is also a string/choir mix of the first track on the album up for streaming. Anyone give that a listen yet?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Noel. Just Stop.

Post by BzaInSpace »

Nope, but the single itself is a load of absolute bjollocks. Flimsy, mediocre, and lazy MOR cack. The guy should just give it up - this song neither rock nor does it rolls, although Noel could maybe write songs (b-sides maybe) for the Kaiser Chiefs in the future although even they may balk at recording shit like this.

Lazy of me to compare I know, but the difference between this and the younger Gallagher's debut single is astonishing (although for me not really surprising). Noel has finally been reduced to ripping off himself ('The Importance of Being Idlewild') than even a cursory steal through narrow field of 'classics'.

:wink:
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it's thoroughly underwhelming :(
and i had an open mind and everything

have you seen the album sleeve.. ATROCIOUS
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/5885/hfbl.jpg
bunnyben
Known user

Re: Noel. Just Stop.

Post by bunnyben »

BzaInSpace wrote:Nope, but the single itself is a load of absolute bjollocks. Flimsy, mediocre, and lazy MOR cack. The guy should just give it up - this song neither rock nor does it rolls, although Noel could maybe write songs (b-sides maybe) for the Kaiser Chiefs in the future although even they may balk at recording shit like this.

Lazy of me to compare I know, but the difference between this and the younger Gallagher's debut single is astonishing (although for me not really surprising). Noel has finally been reduced to ripping off himself ('The Importance of Being Idlewild') than even a cursory steal through narrow field of 'classics'.

kaiser chiefs? they're utter shite, same with the cold monkeys and all these other 'new saviour bands'. dark horses, vivian girls, best coast etc are good bands. i like this song. it's noel doing what he does best. can't wait for the album!

idlewild or sterophonics? idlewild had 3 half decent songs, sterophonics had one decent album :wink:
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

It's a bit Noel by Numbers but pretty much exactly what I was expecting. Solid track and I'm looking forward to the album.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I like it. The horns are cool and the chorus is catchy. It's not as good as "Falling Down," but I'm not complaining.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

one listen,not blown away ,early days :|
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

kinda disappointing

it's solid and inoffensive but it sounds like the kind of b-side he would have written with oasis in the 00s
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

bunnyben wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:Nope, but the single itself is a load of absolute bjollocks. Flimsy, mediocre, and lazy MOR cack. The guy should just give it up - this song neither rock nor does it rolls, although Noel could maybe write songs (b-sides maybe) for the Kaiser Chiefs in the future although even they may balk at recording shit like this.

kaiser chiefs? they're utter shite, same with the cold monkeys and all these other 'new saviour bands'. dark horses, vivian girls, best coast etc are good bands. i like this song. it's noel doing what he does best. can't wait for the album!

idlewild or sterophonics? idlewild had 3 half decent songs, sterophonics had one decent album :wink:
best coast? really? :roll:

did you trade in your NME issues for reading pitchfork?

kaiser chiefs are terrible but arctic monkeys have become a solid band with their last 2 albums i think.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The choir/strings mix of "Everybody's On The Run," which is streaming on the website now, sounds stunning. It's VERY Morricone. Check it out. Beautiful.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Kurious Oranj wrote:
bunnyben wrote:

best coast? really? :roll:

did you trade in your NME issues for reading pitchfork?

kaiser chiefs are terrible but arctic monkeys have become a solid band with their last 2 albums i think.
i saw best coast live and enjoyed the gig and the album is 'fun'. nothing special but fun and with the banal music that i overhear when i walk past a mobile phone or a radio these days it's a nice change. yeah they make nothing new but if you're going to rip off anyone it's good to rip off the girl groups and surfers of the 50s/60s. :wink:
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Ben, have you heard Dum Dum Girls? Their He Gets Me High EP has been very well-received around here and personally, I like it a lot more than anything I have heard by Best Coast or Vivian Girls.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i've heard of. i wanted to see them on their last tour but i was working that evening. where can i get the album from, or is it just an ep?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I have not heard the first Dum Dum Girls album, but you should be able to easily locate a physical copy of the He Gets Me High EP. I have it on 12" and it sounds awesome. They have a new album coming out soon and Pitchfork has a link to download the single for free:

http://pitchfork.com/news/43228-new-dum ... ming-down/
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

just downloade dthe song, thank you :D

just made an 80 min oasis cd for my mp3 player for my trek to the supermarket and i was surprised by what i felt like listening to- the songs that have stood the test of time- not even my favorite oasis song (whatever) made the list!
(in order)

don't look back in anger
turn up the sun
angel child
take me
some might say
headshrinker
song bird
alive
round are way
sunday morning call
d'yer wanna be a spaceman?
listen up
step out
the masterplan
the hindu times
married with children
champagne suoernova

thoughts?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

You've got a number of interesting choices. "Listen Up" is tremendous. I think that might have been the first Oasis song I ever heard in a rough version that was included on a cassette tape that came with Select. The version on the b-side of the Cigs & Alcohol single is awesome, too. They were absolutely unstoppable at that point and I think it's great that the more polished version of that song, which I believe was recorded after Definitely Maybe, is actually quite dirty and rough around the edges. I recall "Headshrinker" being delightfully bombastic and in your face. Not quite sure I agree with the inclusion of "Turn Up The Sun" and "Angel Child," but it your comp!

I just bought the new Mojo with Noel on the cover and look forward to devouring it on the train this afternoon.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

It's a pretty good list, and I appreciate that it avoids the obvious highlights. The best comps are always those that reflect one person's idiosyncratic tastes. That said, mine would be quite different!

I personally think you overemphasize the early b-sides. I appreciate that early Oasis had a brash ambition that they lost once they reached the top, but I would probably represent those years with Love Forever and Slide Away, and maybe also Married With Children. It's very hard to fit into an 80 minute disc, but I would also include Don't Go Away and probably D'You Know What I Mean from Be Here Now, and probably also Gas Panic from Shoulders. Hindu Times is a must, good call, though I prefer the Noel demo. Good choice with Turn Up The Sun, I'd also add A Bell Will Ring. And also The Turning and maybe Shock of the Lightning from the last one.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

if i had sat down n thought of 'what are my favorite songs' there would have been slide away, whatever, d'u know what i mean? don't go away etc and i think one of their best songs is 'underneath the sky'

i think you are probably right about the early demos/b-sides but for some reason they were the songs i could hear in my head. also i surprised myself with 'step out' and 'don't look back' when there are many songs that could fit there not just from the albums but aslo the b-sides- idler's dream, acquiese, talk tonight, fade away (the war child version with mr depp and ms moss) which just goes to show how many great songs he/they wrote and for all the stick they get they still deserve to be recognised- not for the beer/lad/blah blah culture (which seems to be on the news as we speak) but for the music.

i'm reading the mojo. seems he has an album already recorded that is more 'avent-garde' with loops and whatnot but it seems they're holding that back to slowly ease people into the post-oasis noel :lol: :lol:

(my comp as listed before)

http://hotfile.com/dl/126364684/04df947/oasis.rar.html
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Fade Away was the song I was thinking of from the Select tape, not Listen Up. My fault. Both tracks are fantastic, though.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

jadams501 wrote:The best comps are always those that reflect one person's idiosyncratic tastes.
indeed i like the list
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

NME has the b-side to the single streaming now and it's killer: beautiful production, hypnotic melodies and graceful vocals. Check it:

http://www.nme.com/news/noel-gallagher/58541
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

angelsighs wrote:had a flick thru the NME in the shop and Noel expands on the Andy Bell thing.
Noel is indeed still upset with Andy not doing anything when Liam was going mental at him, although he does qualify that Andy is generally a 'lovely guy' and was good to be in a band with.

most of the Beady Eye songs had been knocking around as Oasis songs for a while too.
from mojo

'(liam)...came back with a guitar.which he launched at my head...andy bell is tying his shoelaces like nothing is happening so i said 'well you can fuck off as well if you cannot be bothered to say something as the end is going on around you...' he was literally counting how many shoes he had on. i said 'fuck you...i'm out of here'. ...maybe gem and andy i blame to an extent for not saying anything, but probably neither of us would have listened anyway...'
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

TheWarmth wrote:NME has the b-side to the single streaming now and it's killer: beautiful production, hypnotic melodies and graceful vocals. Check it:

http://www.nme.com/news/noel-gallagher/58541

The Good Rebel is way, way better than the A-side. More like this will do for me.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

"If I Had A Gun" has been posted on YouTube. Excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Ul689O ... r_embedded
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm really underwhelmed by all Noel's new songs so far. nothing too bad but just really average. it's a shame as I had fairly high hopes after hearing him talk.

Ben- I quite like your list there, even though there are some songs I haven't heard. Listen Up is also a favourite of mine. can't stand the Hindu Times though. or sunday morning call.
where's Lets All Make Believe?- that pisses all over the rest of SOTSOG
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

angelsighs wrote: where's Lets All Make Believe?- that pisses all over the rest of SOTSOG
that's one that slipped my mind but would have been on the list. i really like sotsog although there are some awful (AWFUL) songs on it- i can see a liar, sitting on a fire (whaaaa?) little james (love you toys even though they make noise) etc but where did it all go wring, sunday morning call, roll it over, gas panic, who feels love?, go let it out are greaqt oasis songs
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

bunnyben wrote:[i really like sotsog although there are some awful (AWFUL) songs on it- i can see a liar, sitting on a fire (whaaaa?) little james (love you toys even though they make noise) etc but where did it all go wring, sunday morning call, roll it over, gas panic, who feels love?, go let it out are greaqt oasis songs
I really like I Can See A Liar, it's an album highlight for me. I think it's "sitting by the fire" and that the song is about Noel's self-hatred from cocaine psychosis. Really solid rock track and "he sits upon a throne, he lives a sleazy lie" for whatever reason is one of my favorite Noel lyrics.

I also really like the light electronica sheen to the SOTSOG production -- they needed a new direction after Be Here Now, and they succeeded in doing it tastefully.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

"Let's All Make Believe" is a fantastic song and something of a lost gem for Oasis, I think. I have to agree with Bunnyben, I don't like "I Can See A Liar," either, although I haven't listened to that album in years.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think SOTSOG is a pretty bad album. the production is a decent stab at adding a little psych flavour to the band, but the only songs I like on there are Go Let It Out and Gas Panic (and maybe Fuckin' in the Bushes if you count that as a proper song). the rest I find very average or just plain awful.

I think Be Here Now is better- it's overproduced but the melodies are right up there and the big sound kinda suits it.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

angelsighs wrote:I'm really underwhelmed by all Noel's new songs so far. nothing too bad but just really average. it's a shame as I had fairly high hopes after hearing him talk.
yeah me too

i'm not really sure how i feel about a whole album of noel sung songs either. as he said in that press conference he perfected the role of lead guitarist who sang the occasional tune. i always love noels songs with oasis but they worked best in conjunction to liam.

between these songs and beady eye i really just wish oasis would have gone on hiatus for a bit cause they seem a step back from the last oasis album
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Have you guys listened to If I Had A Gun? That is my favorite track I have heard so far from Noel. It's really sublime. Not sure what more you could want from the man. The melodies are beautiful. I'm not sold on What A Life, but I like The Good Rebel and The Death of You and Me just fine.