la monte young

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bunnyben
Known user

la monte young

Post by bunnyben »

anyone got any of his work they could u/l for me please? amazon has the one cd with cale which i already own. i can't seem to find anymore! cna anyone help please? :D :oops:
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
catweazel
Known user

Re: la monte young

Post by catweazel »

If you have a keyboard handy and some old bits of metal - just keep a key pressed down and stretch that sound out for about 60 minutes, occasionally tapping the bit of metal on a hard surface every fifteen minutes. If you have a friend around who can make a kind of 'Skreeeeeeeeeeeee' sound that will also help, but it has to be done very quietly and thoughtfully.

(...says the person who has at least three La Monte Young cd's.... and the John Cale in the 60's 6lp wooden box-set)

Let's just say it helps if you have some good weed handy.

I'd love to share some with you but the discs are back in the UK in my brother's shed. :(
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

I am able and happy to do the 'Skreeeeeeeeeeeeeee' noise if required.

Please let me know where to attend and when.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

catweazel wrote:If you have a keyboard handy and some old bits of metal - just keep a key pressed down and stretch that sound out for about 60 minutes, occasionally tapping the bit of metal on a hard surface every fifteen minutes. If you have a friend around who can make a kind of 'Skreeeeeeeeeeeee' sound that will also help, but it has to be done very quietly and thoughtfully.

(...says the person who has at least three La Monte Young cd's.... and the John Cale in the 60's 6lp wooden box-set)

Let's just say it helps if you have some good weed handy.

I'd love to share some with you but the discs are back in the UK in my brother's shed. :(
i was at a dinner party n got bored so thought (via youtube) i'd introduce people to la monte young, velvets and metal machine music and trio. went down like a concrete bag of potatoes! :D

thanks for the thought anyway :D

best
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

charles w wrote:I am able and happy to do the 'Skreeeeeeeeeeeeeee' noise if required.

Hey, if we´re strting a band I wanna be John Cage!
..I have a virtual instrument using his prepared piano setup for Sonatas & Interludes that I´ve been messing around with.
I can not play the piano very well - hopefully an advantage? I can also set butterflies free and think about clouds?

back on topic:

Dream House 78' 17"
http://rapidshare.com/files/163983709/L ... _1974_.zip

you can of course manipulate the sine waves of "Drift Study 14" rhythmically and harmonically by playing certain notes

..but the 5 hour "well-tuned piano" is great - the fourth and fifth hours are my favourites - I have the 1981 version, not sure which one this is:
http://hotfile.com/dl/92682900/4c9a8b1/ ... _Piano.rar
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

scratch wrote:
charles w wrote:I am able and happy to do the 'Skreeeeeeeeeeeeeee' noise if required.

Hey, if we´re strting a band I wanna be John Cage!
..I have a virtual instrument using his prepared piano setup for Sonatas & Interludes that I´ve been messing around with.
I can not play the piano very well - hopefully an advantage? I can also set butterflies free and think about clouds?

back on topic:

Dream House 78' 17"
http://rapidshare.com/files/163983709/L ... _1974_.zip

you can of course manipulate the sine waves of "Drift Study 14" rhythmically and harmonically by playing certain notes

..but the 5 hour "well-tuned piano" is great - the fourth and fifth hours are my favourites - I have the 1981 version, not sure which one this is:
http://hotfile.com/dl/92682900/4c9a8b1/ ... _Piano.rar

thank you so much! :D