Unexpected Spiritualized mentions

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

jesus son
Known user

Unexpected Spiritualized mentions

Post by jesus son »

After the surprise of seeing a Spiritualized feature in the Rugby Advertiser this week comes this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... shows.html
radioshack
Known user

Re: Unexpected Spiritualized mentions

Post by radioshack »

Poppy Spaceman. What a name!

What was the Rugby Advertiser article like? Does it mention them that often? I ask because our local paper always seems to have a story about some nobody roadie who's claim to fame is working with Robbie Williams or Ocean Colour Scene or Runrig or someone not very interesting. Or this local band who are dying to be huge and have been trying for about 15 years, yet their biggest claim to fame is something really tenuous or clutching at straws, like having supported an X- Factor heat finalist or something crap like that.

Spiritualized are kind of unknown, aren't they? I kind of like it that way.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

very nice spot!

surely Spaceman is not Poppy's actual surname??

yeah I bet most people who read that article are like "Spiritualized.. who??"
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Looking at that pic of Poppy... she's her dad's double alright!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

que? whaaa?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

She's actually credited in Songs in A+E - as "Poppy Spaceman" :lol:
I don't think I'd noticed it before. Part of "the Choir" - vocals on Borrowed Your Gun
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

it was a review of Lazer Guided Melodies in the Coventry Evening Telegraph that I first heard of Spiritualized....I immediately went out and bought the album, and was hooked. I can't think of any other article or book that I've ever read that has had such a dramatic effect on my life, so I owe them one...considering how little press attention Spiritualized got in the early years I might not have heard about them at all!
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

radioshack wrote:Poppy Spaceman. What a name!

What was the Rugby Advertiser article like? Does it mention them that often?
The article was really just a plug for the forthcoming gig in Leamington, as it's the closest to a homecoming gig we'll get, and they mentioned that a new album is in the pipeline, oh and they're Rugby's most successful band or something. Coverage of Spiritualized in the local press has always been pretty been non-existent really.

The Advertiser did a reasonably good piece on the Spacemen in 1986/7 - about when they were recording Perfect Prescription, still have the clipping somewhere, at the time I think Spacemen 3 were the first Rugby band to have had a record contract since Pinkerton's Assorted Colours!
Cavalier
Known user

Post by Cavalier »

Around the time Spzd's profile was highest shortly after L & G came out, Kate Radley was featured in the 'birthday section' of The Sun.I hadn't bought the rag, honest guv.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it's a bit tenuous to describe Spz as a 'Rugby band' nowadays surely? Jason went down to London right after Sp3 split and aren't most of the rest of the band from Nottingham?

I do have vague memories of the band having a brief exposure into the 'mainstream' press around the L&G time (often through the Radley/Ashcroft 'love triangle', mind). if he wanted Jason could have courted the press a little (Gallagher style) and got a few more record sales out of it.
I think the record company thought LICD would be the big push into the mainstream too, being a fairly song-based album and with the inertia from L&G still there even four years later. reckon they lost a few quid on that? :)