Grateful Dead

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

t0kdag0n
Known user

Re: Grateful Dead

Post by t0kdag0n »

The Sunshine Daydream 4lp set (8/27/72 Veneta) is well worth the investment. Great show all around. I'll let Lee do the talking -

http://thetalkhouse.com/features/view/l ... hine-daydr
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The crazy thing about the vinyl set of this is that it's miles more expensive than the CD box yet it doesn't include the DVD which I thought was the whole point of the release!

The film is fantastic and the soundtrack great - I would just much rather have the vinyl set plus a DVD than have to buy both sets in full!
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I have been very fortunate in obtaining and adding to my Dead collection, not only in music, but in Artwork and ephemera, (and more Bill Graham artwork Posters).

This one is the "simplest" Dead Poster of any I have; very minimalist, but an Interesting and Historical addition.

In the mid to late 70's, the Dead would escape from escaping, by going to a city in the middle of nowhere in the midwest large enough to get lost in (VERY NEAR where I lived at the time). The fellow (a Physician) who owned the property and house, (he is no longer extant), created a fun-filled "studio" playpen for them, as he was a Dead Head extrordinaire; I remember an enormous wall of tapes that the Dead made there; I have (3) reel to reel psyche-jam music from those times, and some 8mm movies; one labeled "Sound not Included". It was all very Fun and weird and wonderful.

But, I had too much to do to simply listen to the trees quietly talk amongst one another, unfortunately, and back to University I would wobble. It seems a Million Years Ago, now. I read what angelsighs wrote above; the IDEA of them is quite right. It would be very difficult to describe them, the daily "activities" and psuedo-schedule; but as people, (forget the band), they were pleasant to be around, practical jokers and human with all the frailties there. My weekend/ week long/ month long visits were some of the greatest and most endearing times and Happy memories of my life; the people who came by; people I met, it was a bit unreal. An IDEAL way to live? Maybe. But angelsighs is right, it is the IDEA, not necessarily the reality, that makes something magical (and may be what helps attract moths to the flame).

Much has been said about this band, the continual partyrama, low-key existence, with "Dead-Heads" on the road; but really nothing seemed to change THAT much; they simply became more popular as time went by, and a one-time audience could better afford more of their music, and that helped them become yet even more and more "mainstream". They were intelligent, intense, and incredibly generous people, and those times and memories made my life somehow better.

Anyway, here is a 1967 Poster of the Grateful Dead "Blondino".
Attachments
GD Blondino 001Aaa.jpg (129.86 KiB) Viewed 5450 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I had this Photo of a SPIRIT Concert, on my desk, (a Bill Graham artwork Poster), being so "handy", I put it here.
It is a little worn, (lower right-hand corner) not everyone preserved these artworks well; ergo "ephemera"
. :D
Attachments
Spirit BG 00140aaa.jpg (144.33 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

I'm sure you're all familiar with the listentothedead app.
It's certainly a game changer for sure.
Pretty much eliminates the need to download shows anymore.

Check it if you don't already have it.

That said, I was listening to 1970-05-06 show yesterday.
Garcia's guitar on Not Fade Away is just nasty.
I highly recommend it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

good dope/good fun wrote:I'm sure you're all familiar with the listentothedead app.
It's certainly a game changer for sure.
Pretty much eliminates the need to download shows anymore.

Check it if you don't already have it.
Is this an iPhone app? I find most of the apps I want are for iPhones and those phones are way too pricey. I'm also going to guess this is a US only app?
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

The app is free.
Don't know about how it works in different regions.
It is basically the same as the website.
You should check it out:

https://listentothedead.com

Pretty amazing.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

The earliest recordings, and the 1971-1973 era Dead have long been my favorites; but I cannot name an album that I did not enjoy. The "Live 1972" 3-LP set is a great set; I was fortunate enough to obtain a "NOS", still sealed, Japanese Promo set.
The photo below is a stock photo; When I can, I will have a sit down w/ an aperitif and enjoy all 6 sides.
Attachments
stock photo of the Japanese Promo
stock photo of the Japanese Promo
GratefulDead1972.jpg (34.73 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
Paracelsus
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

just been reading about this.. very interesting idea- over a hundred different performances of Dark Star edited and layered into one long song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grayfolded
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Design.
Rinker
Known user

Post by Rinker »

nice thread
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Went to see 'Long Strange Trip' the 4 hour documentary about the Dead at a local documentary film festival last night. After two hours there was an intermission in which we were all treated to a free bottle of hemp beer, i kept mine for a special occasion so can't comment on its delights or otherwise!

As for the film itself? Even if you've only the teeny-tiniest interest in the band i'd urge you to check it out; funny, sad, uplifting and depressing. There were plenty of laugh out loud moments in it. Musically I found the first half way more entertaining than the second but I expected that to be the case. It's certainly made me dig out my Dead stuff for a listen.

It also made me want to resume a regular diet of psychedelics again :lol:

Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Marijuana aka the Mary Jane, Sticky Icky, Reefer, et al. is a cousin of the noble hop (beer).

Don't hold onto it too long. Hops lose it's flavor after awhile and it taste fresh. Only certain beers can keep indefinately and they are usually the higher alcohol ones i.e. - Strong Ales, Barley Wines.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yup I'm not even particularly a fan of this band but I really enjoyed this documentary.(not sure I'd want to watch it all in one go though- even with intermission!)

Jerry's decline was pretty sad
And the bit about their revolutionary PA system was interesting
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'm 2 hours through it. It's fascinating, but I'm a huge fan of the early 70s era so I sat there mesmerised.

Loved the bit where they spiked the film crew making a doc about them - the footage was absolutely hilarious. The lesson is never drink any already opened beverage of any kind around that band...