The Church

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Kurious Oranj
Known user

The Church

Post by Kurious Oranj »

can we have a discussion about these guys?

favorite albums, etc.?

just been getting into them recently :D
runcible
Site Admin

Re: The Church

Post by runcible »

Highly underrated Aussie band - nice spot KO...

The early stuff has dated a little. I used to love A Blurred Crusade but it's of its time and although there are many great moments it has aged less well than I expected. I can also never get away from the fact that 'Almost With You' and 'Just For You' seem like reworkings of Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel's 'Make Me Smile' - having said that I still love those 2 Church tracks.

My favourite album has to be Starfish which has loads of excellent songs. The double disc version of that features other really brilliant songs - 'Texas Moon', 'Frozen And Distant', 'Nose Dive', 'We Both Know Why You're Here' - all rarities, b-sides etc and absolutely outstanding on their own. I saw them on the Starfish tour and thought they were incredible - I know others on this board were less keen on that period but I loved it.

I took a stab at a couple of more recent albums '#23' and 'Uninvited, Like The Clouds'. Patchy but with decent moments. Having said that vocalist Steve Kilbey has released a few solo albums ('Unearthed' from 1986 is pretty good) and his 'Painkiller' album from 2008 is absolutely fantastic and better than any Church output I've heard in years. One track - Oenone - is truly superb. Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XbkbM-rngY

I play The Church reasonably regularly after well over 20 years of being a fan. They're more psychedelic than they get credit for and SK's 'Painkiller' equally so.

Thumbs up!
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

..had the starfish LP when I was 15 (guess I still have it somewhere) but don´t remember having heard anything else.. at all..
milky way is still the song I associate with my first real girlfriend.

what would be a good example of a more psychedelic church sound?
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

In 2006 (I think) I was sent a review copy of "Uninvited, Like The Clouds." At the time my interest in psychedelia was probably at an all-time high, but I'm sorry to say that I couldn't really get into it. It struck me as the kind of record that would be of interest to long term fans, but not an ideal intro to the group.

Any recommendations of a good starting point?
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i have 'starfish,' 'heyday,' 'golden afternoon fix' and 'priest=aura.' i used to have one of the earlier albums, but it did sound very dated and i ended up selling it. i have to agree that 'starfish' is the best one. 'heyday' is up there as well- i'd definitely recommend it. it sounds a lot like echo & the bunnymen- tons of strings and such. 'priest=aura' hasn't really sucked me in yet, but i still have it around here somewhere. 'golden afternoon fix' is really bad. i think there's one song on it that i liked when i listened to it.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

apologies for blowing the dust of an old thread

even though I was never a fan I recalled mention of them on here and saw they released a new album out which some may interested in.

The Church
Further Deeper

stream beam >
http://rollingstoneaus.com/music/post/e ... deeper/676
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

Have loved these guys since age 5
all of their worx are tops
this new album is refreshing ...
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

I knew there was a Church thread here somewhere! :)

I really dig this recent KEXP session.. lots of shimmering guitars, and the singer has a great voice. think i need to investigate further
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXBasxt6FYo

they've released 2 albums recently, these songs are from a concept album where the concept is a bit whacky!