Fraudulent Brian Eno and Pink Floyd Japanese releases

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

semisynthetic
Known user

Fraudulent Brian Eno and Pink Floyd Japanese releases

Post by semisynthetic »

There are a number of Fraudulent (bootlegged) Brian Eno and Pink Floyd, and very likely other "Japanese Audiophile" releases to look out for. The Quality of the Jackets is exceptionally good for a bootleg; but the obi are the dead giveaway before you open the sealed Plastic Sleeve.

The obi are thinner, and the material much stiffer than usual, but the REAL thing to look out for is the label listings, unless you read Japanese, because the obi translations are absolutely incorrect, period. The best example that I have seen, certainly the one I would term the most absurd, is Pink Floyd's, "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" originally released in the UK in 1967 on EMI Columbia.
The "Bootlegged" obi copy says "EMI Parlophone Tower",(! ? !)
instead of
"EMI Columbia Odeon"; and inside, the disc is placed in a simple polypropylene sleeve rather than the correct inner sleeve; the sound quality is often described as "Flat", no doubt a digital transfer to vinyl giving a less than an "Audiophile Sound".

I kept an example of each for my collection, since I do collect bottlegs, and as bootlegs go, these are well done.
They are as almost as good as the series out of Italy from the 1977-88 era, where crisp details in the jackets and high quality of vinyl (but these WERE all from analogue sources; and from Excellent sources at that). Perhaps the most aesthetically pleasing were a number of Elvis Presley "Ltd Ed Colored Vinyl discs (and Picture Discs)", I bought them as I found them because they WERE so good; but they were not in the 180g to 200g vinyl Japanese Pressing Price range, and they sound FANTASTIC. Most were unreleased takes, or out takes that SHOULD have been released by RCA.

But $50-$80 for an inferior Fraud is not exactly a bargain, but a few examples will remain in The Arkiv, nevertheless.

I am a big fan of Japanese releases, their quality is excellent; I just suggest you make certain that you are getting the real deal and not just an expensive library addition; (unless of course, you would like to).

Have a Good Day,
semisynthetic
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
scratch
Known user

Re: Fraudulent Brian Eno and Pink Floyd Japanese releases

Post by scratch »

I bought a copy of nevermind in hanoi 19 years ago..
by the band NirvaVa.

Pretty much everything in northern vietnam seem to have been from HK bootleggers in 92..
..and since hk was a british dependent territory back then I guess I have a british pressing? :lol:
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

My shop has sold those Eno releases. I think they sound better than a lot of other 180 gram reissues. And they were $22. I have all 4. Glad I own them.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

spzretent wrote:My shop has sold those Eno releases. I think they sound better than a lot of other 180 gram reissues. And they were $22. I have all 4. Glad I own them.

Just as point of reference, these particular bootlegs are from c. 2010-now, a relatively new offering of the reissue; and although I agree that they were of good quality for a "ROIO", and I too have the releases, I did not like the idea of seeing them sold at an average of $60; I paid 30 each, and purchased their "catalogue", so I am definitely not turning up my nose;

and I DO like the (Official) Japanese releases; I have been buying them for almost 40 years.

Since I COLLECT the bootlegs as well as official issues, I am not upset that I bought them; I simply prefer that they are sold as what they are; I think most us have bootlegs we wanted or have.

TO CLARIFY: NOT ALL ENO (or others) will be Bootlegged of course; (in fact, I was glad to have an "official" release to
compare them with), as I said, they were very well done; $22 is an excellent price;
the Presley items I alluded to earlier, although bootlegged, were so extremely well done, so good, and contained so much great material, that some fetched $60 20+ years ago; in todays diminished dollars, that was expensive indeed. But where I obtain the "under the counter" known bootlegs, they are sold as such; Frankly, I can imagine that many distributors that have these newer discs believe them to be genuine, and I simply wanted everyone to be aware of the existence of these bootlegs, since among the other reasons I have sighted, the quality can differ from batch to batch, and if you should buy a dud, you may have no recourse, and be stuck with an inferior item.

The reason I brought this up, was I saw these for sale in the local shop; noticed the errors and so on,
and eventually spoke with the "distributor" and bought the catalogue for my collection.

Have Fun, semisynthetic.

By the way, spzretent, did these copies you have include "Before and After Science", w the artprtint set? These ROIO DO NOT include that release. These ROIO are incomplete compared to the original reissues;
I would be interested to know, truly.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

No artprints in BAAS.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)