where did you come in?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

where did you come in?

Spacemen 3
48%
Lazer Guided Melodies
13%
Pure Phase
5%
Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
22%
Albert Hall 97
2%
Let it come down
2%
Amazing grace
7%
Songs in A&E
2%

Total votes: 60

bunnyben
Known user

where did you come in?

Post by bunnyben »

Postby They Transmit » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:36 pm
I think the interesting thing here for me as I've not been near this board in a long while are the amount of people that have come to the band via more recent recordings and not having gone through the sonic war version of the band. Not trying to creat factions or stir anything up just found it interesting the varying expectations of what the live show should be about.
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Broc
Known user

Re: where did you come in?

Post by Broc »

Upon the release of Playing With Fire, saw that S3 interview with Alan McGee on Snub TV or Transmission, can't remember..
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

Broc wrote:Upon the release of Playing With Fire.
Ditto! Never saw S3 though...
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

this thread is missing where I came in..

I had heard spacemen3 but not yet bought anything.. spiritualized had started although they had not yet released LGM.

post-spacemen/pre-LGM --> awtywm, feelsosad/iwantyou/run/smiles/sway

the option could be "the first singles".. we are talking almost two years here so it really should be an alternative.
Last edited by scratch on Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Recurring, followed shortly by live shows by Sonic Boom solo and Spiritualized
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

scratch wrote:this thread is missing where I came in..

I had heard spacemen3 but not yet bought anything.. spiritualized had started although they had not yet released LGM.

so maybe an option for post-spacemen --> awtywm, feelsosad/iwantyou/run/smiles/sway <- almost two years?
i went for albums only :wink: and to be honest the whole time frame- singles here n there etc i haven't a clue about so :wink:
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

bunnyben wrote: i went for albums only :wink: and to be honest the whole time frame- singles here n there etc i haven't a clue about so :wink:
ah well, it is the first two years of the bands history - pretty important
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Came in at Playing With Fire and just carried on. For me Spiritualized's best years, live and on record, were 1991 - '93.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

scratch wrote:
bunnyben wrote: i went for albums only :wink: and to be honest the whole time frame- singles here n there etc i haven't a clue about so :wink:
ah well, it is the first two years of the bands history - pretty important
indeed but would you have known about them if you hadn't discovered spacemen 3? logically either you found them as sp3 or you heared the singles on the radio and bought lazer guided... so the two years would either fall in a) sp3 or b) lgm
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Bought Performance and worked out from there. Started following the band and carried on once Spiritualized started up. Have been to every UK tour until this new one. Have very warm feelings towards the period Sunray mentions though there have been a lot of superb shows since then. As for the records, LGM, PP, LAGWAFIS, and parts of LICD then Jason kinda lost me. for me personally I felt that what I took from and enjoyed in watching and listening to Spz had changed to the point were shows and records were only partly satisfying. Which maybe is why I keep coming back around to hear where he's at but sadly for me anyway, leave kinda despondent that his idea are rehashes or are a little flat MOR.
These are my personal views of how I, on a personal level view the band, please don't get into the whole, oh in your day argument deal. Everyone sees something specific in art that they key off so when it leaves those boundaries or fails to evolve then that for me will always be an issue in any art form.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Lazers and grace we are come down in A&E (BP)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

i'm afraid I'm one of the Ladies and gentleman era johnny-come-latelys. got into them around 98/99 then the first album I bought on release was LICD.

let me off though- I was only about 10 when Lazer guided came out.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Spacemen 3 around the time of PWF IIRC.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

as always, fashionably late 8)
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Saw the Spacemen supporting Gaye Bykers on Acid in early 1988 - Pete Bain's last show. The bug bit that night and has been there ever since.
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

bought take me to the other side based on the cover - lucky good choice there

can't remember the order of gigs but I think it was the forum, notre dame hall and reading festival - so the forum must have been PWF times I think
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Revolution.

Bought the single, saw the band about a week after at Dingwalls.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

about a year before Spacemen 3 got their first record contract, happy days
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

1998 - a friend was a fan, I was going to 3 festivals in Aug that year that Spiritualized were playing at, and she told me not to miss them. I probably had a tape copy of LAGWAFIS back then that I hadn't given that much attention to.
First was Benicassim, Spiritualized were on stage on Sat.night at 3.30am. Considering I'd slept in total for about 4 hours the previous 2 nights, that didn't work out so well, I was falling asleep standing and had to head back to the camp site.
Then La Route Du Rock, which was just brilliant and when I started to love Spiritualized!
Finally Reading. Unfortunately we only got distracted by Donna Matthews (Elastica) totally off her head, climbing the scaffoldings to the side of the stage to take photos!
Since then I haven't missed many gigs near me since and slowly built up the back catalogue.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

bought Transparent Radiation 12" on the strenght of an NME single of the week and curiosity as to what a 45min single sounded like ,then Perfect Prescripion quickly followed ,didn`t see them though until early 89 ,by which time I was sorta obsessed,
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Was hooked as soon as I heard Live at RAH in 1999 or 2000.

Mind you, I was 13/14.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i came in around 1998 when i bought 'ladies and gentlemen...' after failing to get tickets to see radiohead when they took spiritualized on tour with them. a friend recommended it. it took me about two years before i truly liked and appreciated it. i lived in kansas city back then, so i wasn't able to see them live until the 'amazing grace' tour (which was like a glorious two-hour session of being flattened by a steamroller- it was riveting) when they played in portland. come to think of it they played in lawrence in 2002 a few days before i moved to portland and i didn't go because i'd heard that 'let it come down' wasn't very good- pretty stupid. i have the bootleg from minneapolis the night after that lawrence show and it just reminds me that i obviously should've gone. 19 when i bought L&G, 21 by the time i got hooked on it, 24 by the time i finally got to see them live.
Krisskrossfrog
Known user

Post by Krisskrossfrog »

A friend recommended LGM which I loved, so he kindly bought me a ticket for the Shephards Bush Empire show in February 1995..... I was seriously blown away by the show, like nothing I'd ever seen before. The singer was so cool and didn't talk between songs, you could barely see the band for the smoke... and the lights, the lights were so intense it made no difference if I closed my eyes.

The morning after the show I checked the rest of the tour dates and drove down to the Portsmouth Pyramids to catch another show a day or so later, where we sat on the floor with a perfect view near the back (can't have been many people there at all) and watched people passing out and tripping over people during more strobe action......

So although I did hear each album in order of release Pure Phase was where I really came in....
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Krisskrossfrog wrote:A friend recommended LGM which I loved, so he kindly bought me a ticket for the Shephards Bush Empire show in February 1995..... I was seriously blown away by the show, like nothing I'd ever seen before.
That remains one of the greatest Spiritualized shows I can ever remember...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runcible wrote:
Krisskrossfrog wrote:A friend recommended LGM which I loved, so he kindly bought me a ticket for the Shephards Bush Empire show in February 1995..... I was seriously blown away by the show, like nothing I'd ever seen before.
That remains one of the greatest Spiritualized shows I can ever remember...
I was at that show, and know that it was amazing, but I can't remember much of it for various reasons......... :oops:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

After reading a large, in-depth and surprisingly good NME article just prior to Ladies and gentlemen... release. The album review alone was enough to whet my appetite.
Made frequent use of the library back then and found the cassette version of Pure Phase soon after. My lifestyle was pretty...er, loose in those days and I didn't immediately succumb to it. Something in the first two songs made me keep coming back to it though. Soon it became my favoured 'recreational' album - even more than Electric Ladyland which I only had recently gotten into. Later that summer purchased Ladies and gentlemen... just after midnight in an Aberdonian record shop - I think mainly a late/early opening for the OK Computer release which was released that day as well. My pals bought that but as soon I saw this massive stack of pill packets I had to get that instead.

I think, in hindsight, I made the correct choice. :wink:

Again took time to absorb. Got the Electricity live singles and Lazer Guided Melodies later that summer at the same time back home from the local record shop - took to these immediately as (I felt) they were less 'challenging' than Ladies and gentlemen... I was very young at the time. I had never heard music like this before.

The whole thing coalesced with seeing them live, the gig a day or so after the 1997 R.A.H. show was held up in Aberdeen Music Hall. That night sorta changed my life and the whole noise thing as a physical and mental force made sense. Does it?

In the interests of brevity however I selected 'Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space'. :wink:
O P 8
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

not ashamed to say it was only about 5 years ago i heard of spacemen 3/spiritualized

a new friend i met told me about them and theyve been among my favorite bands ever since
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Stumbled upon late era Spacemen 3 by chance when I went up to visit a friend in London, popped into Rough Trade and saw a strange looking fellow singing albums. So, I picked up a gold embossed vinyl copy of Recurring and got Mr Sonic Boom (as it was he) to sign it for me. I loved that record and played it to death before finding out pretty much straight after that the band had split. I wasn't gutted for long though as Spiritualized followed almost immediately after and they blew me away even more. Didn't even go back to the Spacemen 3 back catalogue till years and years later (prob around the same time I joined this forum and had my eyes opened to be honest).
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
tommy_b
Known user

Post by tommy_b »

Saw the Spacemen at Hull Adelphi in the summer of 1989, in the middle of my GCSE's, and took a huge amount of flack from my parents for going out when I should have been revising. Damn, that was a looong time ago!
They opened a musical door for me, and I've never looked back since. Many thanks go out to Jason and Pete for this.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

About '89/'90 ish. I'd heard Hypnotized on the radio, and was utterly transfixed by that beautiful sound that was like nothing else on earth. Shortly after I bought one of those Indie Top 20 comps that had Hypnotized on it (and purely on the strength of Hypnotized as I was unable to track down the single itself at the time), and - by strange fortune - also Angel, a Loop track (Arc-Lite, I think), and some other cool stuff.

A little later again the first rumblings of Spiritualized started emerging, and I was certainly aware of the early singles (I have clear recollections of not being impressed by Smile) but I never actually bought anything by them until LGM came out, which would have been the defining "BAM!" moment.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Stumbled across SP3 on "Transmission" on Channel 4 sitting up one night when I was 13 with a broken and septic hand that was making it too painful to sleep and accidentally overdosing on painkillers. Asked my old dear if she could find any of their records in the library when she went to town the next day after taking me to hospital to puke lots and have my hand drained and she came back with "Playing with Fire". Lay in bed listening to it that afternoon feeling pretty messed up and was hooked from there in.
evan:)
Known user

Post by evan:) »

November 1988. Had recently moved to London and bought a new turntable and some singles among them was Revolution. Had some LSD later that evening it being a Friday. When I got to revolution I think I must have played it 20 times on repeat ... blown away.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

BzaInSpace wrote:After reading a large, in-depth and surprisingly good NME article just prior to Ladies and gentlemen... release. The album was review alone was enough to whet my appetite.:
Same here, the issue with Jason looking suitably erm 'relaxed' on the cover right? Bought a copy on that big Monday of releases. Ok Computer and Urban Hymns came out the same day if I remember rightly? I can't remember if I'd heard Electricity before I bought the album or not, but that Select mag with the free CD which featured that song definitely had a MASSIVE influence on me getting into them. It was just unlike anything I'd ever heard before. I'm a sucker for a massive wall of sound production so when that was paired with the vox organ, soaring guitars, Tremolo panning, an amazing drummer, feedback, rumbling snake like bass lines and 'that' vocal delivery I was sold.

By the time Live at the Royal Albert Hall came out I was counting the hours 'til I could go out from my crappy job at lunchtime and buy it (remember how good the reviews were for that?). I didn't get to see them live until the 'Let it come down tour' which is another story entirely, but by then I owned everything they'd done.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

helterskelter wrote:bought take me to the other side based on the cover - lucky good choice there
this really highlights the often lovely packaging of the sp3/spz releases... i picked up pure phase on cd from the local library when it was released because it looked so good and because it said "stereophonic compact disc" which sounded cool... 8) taped the four or five best tunes (as i would normally do with those cds that i borrowed), realized after a couple of weeks that "let it flow" was probably the best song i had ever heard and went to buy the album, thereafter devouring any sp*-release that i could obtain from the local record stores. aaah, those were the days :D