Hey Jane- Albert Hall 11-10-11

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

They Transmit
Known user

Hey Jane- Albert Hall 11-10-11

Post by They Transmit »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ6c28kbeSM

Enjoy, I did as much as I could with the available source recording. Stereo widened, reduced a little of the bottom end, brough tup the 100Hz regions and levelled everything out a little. Also brought up the initial volumes and warmed it up about via Neve desk.
Enjoy, I think this is the best of the new stuff.
Last edited by They Transmit on Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
sunray
Known user

Re: Hey Jane- Albert Hall 11-10-11

Post by sunray »

Definite highlight from Tuesday. :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Fantastic, thanks! This has confirmed Sunday's initial impression: Hey Jane is the best song Jason has written since 1997 :)
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

Cracking! Thanks for that :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks so much for this, it's sounding absolutely fantastic and so clear.

I think this song is absolutely superb. it's a krautrock groove but also just a great song.
love that guitar hook and the way the choir also come in and built it up too. wall of noise present and correct.

plus i can't easily compare it to past Spz songs. definitely a plus.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Yes truly excellent. Made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end!
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

angelsighs wrote: plus i can't easily compare it to past Spz songs. definitely a plus.
well.. bits of the melodic content are pretty similar to the waves crash in although th arrangement makes the first part sound like.. one of the rockers missing from LICD?
noise and second part sounds more like the nineties (or even some amazing grace)
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

scratch wrote:
angelsighs wrote: plus i can't easily compare it to past Spz songs. definitely a plus.
well.. bits of the melodic content are pretty similar to the waves crash in although th arrangement makes the first part sound like.. one of the rockers missing from LICD?
noise and second part sounds more like the nineties (or even some amazing grace)
maybe... but the fact that you have had to reference 3 or 4 different Spz eras is an good indication. makes it different to some recent songs where you can just go "it's a rerun of song X"

i think Hey Jane kinda stands alone myself
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Once again my disclaimer of not having been there but it seems Jason played the first set's showstopper as the opening track. I've listened to the full show and no other track from the first set hit me like that song did.

Based on MC5's Black to Comm's riff, no?
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Ditto, kinda think the swamp blues/ Dr John take of I am what I am is pretty cool, but yes Hey Jane sounds like...inovation once again, a curve ball. Unexpected sounds are for me what Spiritualized shows used to be about. Remember when you first heard electric mainline? Took my head clean off. Those days seem few and far between now.
What is it with the ballads? I just don't get it...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:
Based on MC5's Black to Comm's riff, no?
Good call!

I didn't make that connection the first time I listened but I was in a hotel room playing it on a mac book with no external speakers. Just got home and played it again on my desktop and I too can hear that chugging riff from 'Black to Comm'.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

runcible wrote:Once again my disclaimer of not having been there but it seems Jason played the first set's showstopper as the opening track. I've listened to the full show and no other track from the first set hit me like that song did.
out of interest, what would be your 2nd favourite song of the new stuff?

it must have been pretty amazing in the early days when people first heard Electric Mainline. that must have been a total curveball and the studio version(s) are much more aligned with ambient/electronic music than rock. and the live version took on so many different forms over the years, almost like a jazz song
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

angelsighs wrote:
runcible wrote:Once again my disclaimer of not having been there but it seems Jason played the first set's showstopper as the opening track. I've listened to the full show and no other track from the first set hit me like that song did.
Probably Heading For The Top. Not as good as Hey Jane though.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

runcible wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
Probably Heading For The Top. Not as good as Hey Jane though.
I think I probably agree with you. this is just from my memory of the 2 gigs I went to at the moment, I haven't had a chance to listen to the boots yet.

for the record I think I am a bit more open to the ballads than many on here too, though. I think Mama Said is a great song for example.
D.
Known user

Post by D. »

i absolutely love this song. i listened to the edinburgh show yesterday (with the beginning cut off) and have had the ending stuck in my head since. after only one listen the new songs reminded me of something like "baby i'm just a fool" where they continue to build over one idea. generally not too much of a departure from the last album (which i think is his best of the last 3 and real return to form). i'm excited for the new record!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

D. wrote:generally not too much of a departure from the last album (which i think is his best of the last 3 and real return to form). i'm excited for the new record!
Uh oh. To my ears, Songs In A&E is the weakest record J has released, so I was hoping the new stuff would be a departure and return to form. I've been avoiding clips of the new stuff with the intention of waiting for the record, but I might have to check it out to gird myself for potential disappointment.
D.
Known user

Post by D. »

haha. well, like i said i only had one listen. plus, personal opinions seem to differ widely on this board regarding j's diferent directions so don't put too much importance on mine.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Ha, don't put too much importance on mine, either. I'm one of the few that finds excursions into "free jazz" tedious and thinks Sound of Confusion is absurdly underrated. I wanted the new LP to be a bunch of country gospel covers!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

jadams501 wrote:
D. wrote:generally not too much of a departure from the last album (which i think is his best of the last 3 and real return to form). i'm excited for the new record!
Uh oh. To my ears, Songs In A&E is the weakest record J has released, so I was hoping the new stuff would be a departure and return to form. I've been avoiding clips of the new stuff with the intention of waiting for the record, but I might have to check it out to gird myself for potential disappointment.
some of the songs are definitely a continuation of Songs in A&E, some not at all and are total curveballs
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »