Lupine Howl...

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

ash
Known user

Lupine Howl...

Post by ash »

Ok, this could get contentious. I have been warned...

Anyone aware of what Lupine Howl are up to these days? We don't get all that much news about smaller UK bands out here in the colonies, and last I heard was from a friend who has a 'holiday job' at Beggars Banquet saying that they were no longer with the label. The only official info on the web is at least two years old, and their site doesn't exist anymore. A quick search of the board seems to indicate that at the very least they're still together, and are possibly working on a 3rd album.

While I'm on the topic, what are people's thoughts on LH? If pressed, I'd have to say that the quality of the songs approaches that of Spiritualized, but the consistency ain't quite there yet. I'm sure many will disagree...

*hides*
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

i got shot down for my opinions before, but i think their first two albums have been excellent! I found them much more enjoyable than the last two Spiritualized ones. Don't get me wrong, don't think its ground breaking stuff, and maybe it won't last, but i love what they 've released so far. Live, they have always been brilliant. Wouldn't be the first time that i have thought how good Spiritualized could have sounded if J had allowed the guys from LH a bit more input. But i suppose, Spiritualized is a carriage for J and his ideas, so its his choice!

They have been working on this third LP for what seems like forever. Website get as much updates as this place.
estee
Known user

Post by estee »

I saw Lupine Howl last December in Bristol, they were excellent. I saw Sean Cook a couple of weeks ago in WH Smiths so if I bump into him again around Clifton Ill ask him for you.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I thought their second album was a lit better than the first one. Must admit when their BB web site vanished I thought they'd split. Good to hear that they are still going. I saw them play one of their first gigs at the Garage in London. I was very impressed - they did a Bobby Dazzler of a cover of Hey Bulldog.
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

It wouldn't be a big surprise if Beggars Banquet dropped the Howl because they seemed to have put a fair amount of cash behind them but seem to have got little return for it. Neither albums has pulled up any trees sales wise have they.

However, I agree with everything Laz has said, the two Howl albums have much more going for them than the last two Spiritualised albums.

I would be surprised if the Howl call it a day if they are dropped, as I'm sure they would be more than welcomed at some smaller labels. You only have to look at Johnny's other band Slipstream, there's a whisper that they could be picked up by a bigger label soon.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

According to their website, they have also been working and touring with Massive Attack in recent times, so i think its probably more a case of finding the time more than not bothering...
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

What is the URL of their website now?

http://www.lupinehowl.co.uk

and

http://www.lupinehowl.com

do not work for me.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Jigme
Known user

Post by Jigme »

Count me in as one of those who enjoyed their last 2 albums more than the last to Spiritualized albums. Don't get me wrong, obviously i love Spz (I'm on here right?) but I thought they were very good works. (Esp the 2nd save for the first 2 songs.)
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Thanks all for the update, especially Laz69 with the website - Google has definitely failed me on that one (maybe the site's only new?).

It's also good to hear positive responses to their music - I partly expected a fair bit of antipathy, or even animosity towards the band, as they could quite easily be passed off as "Spiritualized rejects" and their music treated as such. I've been listening to the Bar at the End of the World a fair bit lately, and I'd have to say that tracks like Trust Me and (especially) Burning Stars would have to be right up there with the best of anything Jason has ever written. He's obviously influenced them well.

Have been very, very heartened by the news. Fingers crossed for a world tour to promote the forthcoming album :)
DTL
Known user

Post by DTL »

Anyone heard Zukanican?

They're a trippy jazzy ensemble from Liverpool (I think) and the trumpet guy used to play in spiritualized. I don't like the stuff, it's a bit boring for my liking but I reckon some of you guys may like it. Especially if you liked the first Lupine Howl CD. Try and check 'em out.

I'm sorry I have no more info on them.

You've been warned though 'cos the guy who used to be in Spiritualiuzed is a cock.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

ash wrote:It's also good to hear positive responses to their music - I partly expected a fair bit of antipathy, or even animosity towards the band, as they could quite easily be passed off as "Spiritualized rejects" and their music treated as such.
If you go to the 'sticky' topic at the top of the forum, and find instructions for getting to the OLD board, and there search for Lupine Howl, you will indeed find the responses you anticipated (I think you may find the discussions interesting nonetheless).

The criticism at the time (2002ish) ranged from outright hostility, through ambivilance, to a vague liking...the consensus (if there was one) was that they might have been ok, but the production on the first album was shocking.

For my part (in case you give a toss), I enjoyed the first album, until the bad production was pointed out to me...by which time I'm afraid I was sufficiently bored anyway not to take any further part. Ho hum.
www.gregoryeuclide.com
New user

the difference

Post by www.gregoryeuclide.com »

there is a simple difference in my opinion between the likes of LH and Spiritualized... and that is a matter of confidence and direction.... take for instance cover art... and promotional material... Spiritualized's catalog reads like a MOMA exhibit.. and LH... well.... like they are trying a bit too hard... and this is the metaphor...
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

They're kind of like Spiritualized "light". (Admittedly, I would still dig the sounds the Cure would be making if Robert Smith left, but whatever it was named, it would still be "the Cure without Robert Smith" as far as I was concerned.) They're definitely not the worst thing I've ever heard, but Spiritualized they sure as hell ain't...