Stone Roses to reform

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

PopeJez
Known user

Stone Roses to reform

Post by PopeJez »

Press conference on Monday apparently...
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Stone Roses to reform

Post by angelsighs »

usually I would have called 'bullshit' but all indications are that this is true

i dont know what to think to be honest. i might scoff a bit but i'll be tempted to go as long as it doesnt cost the earth
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

Hope it dont happen.....Reni has said he wont and without him......well
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I doubt this is true. We'll see. Squire has always crushed these rumors.
CalTheSpaceman+
Known user

Post by CalTheSpaceman+ »

TheWarmth wrote:I doubt this is true. We'll see. Squire has always crushed these rumors.
and mani!

If it does come into being i'm guessing someone needs a paycheck.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Rumour has it it's the entire lineup.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Bad ju ju! I really hope they don't. I be extremely surprised given what John Squire and Reni have said in the past. John Squire was on tv a while back stating he would not even consider reforming - ever.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
Kowalski
Known user

Post by Kowalski »

I think it'll be a car crash, Ian Brown is a truly woeful singer.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

anybody holding their breath?.. nah ,me neither as we approach 2012 ,thats all we need isn`t it a f8ckin` Stone Roses reunion,if so ,itll be interesting hearing them tie themselves in knots explaining their previous ,strident opposition to such a move .
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

true, they are gonna have to do some SERIOUS backtracking here :) words are gonna have to be eaten

Reni's comment is quite cryptic. the fact that he has commented at all is a sign I think.

it could go either way- for one thing I would love to see that rhythm section do their thing again.

and for those who say they were never that good live anyway- all the more reason to try again and do it properly!!! (it's like, don't remake a good film, remake a bad one and make it better!) who wants Reading 96 to be their swansong? cant be any worse than that
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

If Squire and Reni aren't bothered they can always get Aziz and Robbie Maddix on board... :wink:
O P 8
marmalade
Known user

Post by marmalade »

it's on i would say from certain posts from a Stone Roses member on another forum :wink:
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/mus ... s--001.jpg

Anyone see the interview when he said he was finished with music? Really sorry to see them do this. I thought they were going to the one band who didnt reform. I remember Ian Brown saying he'd do it for charity, which I doubt are his motives for doing it now. I never thought I'd see the hungry young men who redefined modern music as middle aged fat blokes doing it for money. Call me an idealist, but this is a sad day.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Sound of cash registers going off, if you ask me. They were obviously waiting until they were being offered insane amounts of money to reform. Maybe there's enough zeroes at the end of the fees for them now.

I think they can just about get away with it if they don't make a new record. I don't really care about bands reforming but I agree with other posters who've said it felt like the Roses meant it when they said it would never happen. Everyone has their price, it seems. In a way, it's a bit sad. I wonder if Ian Brown will pop up in a butter advert with John Lydon sometime soon.

So, it seems Jason Pierce is really the only guy left in British rock I can think of who hasn't succumbed to nostalgia and £.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

simonkeeping wrote:I remember Ian Brown saying he'd do it for charity,
charity begins at home :wink:
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I wonder whether they've misjudged this one? I've hardly heard a good word said about this particular reunion.

No surprise either, given the way things finished last time around.

That said, all the stuff about them being shit live in their original guise is a bit harsh - they were pretty bloody good both times I saw them (Spike Island and Brixton) especially the latter show, even though Reni had gone by then...
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

radioshack wrote: I think they can just about get away with it if they don't make a new record.
..seems that nowadays money mostly comes from live gigs - if it´s all about prostitution then they probably wont try to produce new stuff.
I will consider them whores if they don´t even make an attempt at recording.
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah i consider a reunion more valid when they produce new music.
it shows a willingness to take a risk and to create something new
rather than be a karoake act trotting out the hits
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm totally curious what they would come up with if they recorded new material. Squire is an amazing guitarist and the rhythm section is shit hot. Although Ian Brown maybe an unreliable live singer, he sounds great on the albums.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

radioshack wrote:So, it seems Jason Pierce is really the only guy left in British rock I can think of who hasn't succumbed to nostalgia and £.
if only that were true! i'd love to see mansun, moose, ride, gorky's and the boo radleys back together, but alas, no luck.

also, i'm guessing if this is true then the roses will only exist as a live band. I feel like it's not worth reforming unless they're gonna record a new album. otherwise it's just pure nostalgia, which has little appeal to me, esp given brownie's vocal capabilities...

It's funny to think of the reunion in the context of his solo albums, which emphasise the dangers of vanity, material/egotism. Here are some lyrics off his most recent album:

"When the bombs began to fall
I didn't do it for the roses
As I was striding ten feet tall
Well, that's another story, for the glory

The good that you do
Will carry you through, yeah yeah
I did it for you
I didn't do it for the glory"

also..

"Words that are spoken
Promises broken yeah
Now that I've woken
All the cheap thrills
With expensive bills
And vanity kills
Vanity kills"

So there ya go. Presumably glory/money has nothing to do with it? haha.. :wink:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

TheWarmth wrote:I'm totally curious what they would come up with if they recorded new material. Squire is an amazing guitarist and the rhythm section is shit hot. Although Ian Brown maybe an unreliable live singer, he sounds great on the albums.
yeah i've got more interest in an album really. I for one think Second Coming is totally underrated and wouldn't mind more of that ballsy, jam based sound. or more of that Somethings Burning smoky funk avenue they never explored

I've got a feeling any gigs may just be soulless stadium affairs full of Oasis fans bellowing along to She Bangs The Drums
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

One of the better reports. I guess we'll know by the end of the day.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/oc ... intcmp=239
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

angelsighs wrote:I for one think Second Coming is totally underrated and wouldn't mind more of that ballsy, jam based sound. or more of that Somethings Burning smoky funk avenue they never explored
Something's Burning is one of my favorite Roses songs and definitely an avenue that would be fruitful to explore. I agree that Second Coming is underrated, I love the jamminess of that record, but the album was a little too bluesy Led Zeppelin for me without those wonderful Byrdsy chiming guitars of the debut. I've always thought a 3rd record that combined the raw power of Second Coming with the sonic richness of the debut could be amazing, would love to see them go down that road.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

It's nice to hear positive comments about Second Coming. I really love that album and it often takes a beating.
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

well its true :( fuck sake gutted
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

who's next then, The Smiths?
marmalade
Known user

Post by marmalade »

full report of the news conference

http://www.nme.com/news/the-stone-roses/59868#1
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

solarflarez wrote:well its true :( fuck sake gutted
Is it really that big of a deal? Don't go to any of the gigs. Just ignore it. No one will force you to buy the new record, if they wind up making one.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm kind of indifferent really. gonna give it a wide berth unless people rave about the shows and then they play near me.

am interested in a new album though, just out of curiosities sake
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

i know it aint such a big deal, I DEFINATELY wont go to the gigs, i may be tempted to buy the record tho, im just pissed off that they have fucked up their "legacy" big time, same as the Pistols, in my opinion probably the purest, unsullied band of all time, (one f**king brilliant lp then all it was over) Lydon was a big big hero til the filthy lucre tour, then it was all downhill, butter ads, more gigs etc etc, the Stone Roses, maybe the first band i thought of as "mine" i loved them, no one else in my whole town did, well, maybe 2 students, that was it :) a debut LP that was and still is almost untouchable, on a level with Never Mind The Bollocks and Velvets n Nico, 2nd Lp, so so, love spreads kinda saves it a little bit :) but now thats all fucked up , all for nothing, just for a few shekels, heros to zeroes in one day, ok rant over, and sorry for the expletives :)
Krisskrossfrog
Known user

Post by Krisskrossfrog »

solarflarez wrote:i know it aint such a big deal, I DEFINATELY wont go to the gigs, i may be tempted to buy the record tho, im just pissed off that they have fucked up their "legacy" big time, same as the Pistols, in my opinion probably the purest, unsullied band of all time, (one f**king brilliant lp then all it was over) Lydon was a big big hero til the filthy lucre tour, then it was all downhill, butter ads, more gigs etc etc, the Stone Roses, maybe the first band i thought of as "mine" i loved them, no one else in my whole town did, well, maybe 2 students, that was it :) a debut LP that was and still is almost untouchable, on a level with Never Mind The Bollocks and Velvets n Nico, 2nd Lp, so so, love spreads kinda saves it a little bit :) but now thats all fucked up , all for nothing, just for a few shekels, heros to zeroes in one day, ok rant over, and sorry for the expletives :)
Didn't they fucked up their legacy a long time ago? Once Squire left and the rent-a-band version played Reading.... I remember reading stuff about how people were walking away crying....

Maybe it's not a bad thing for them to try and right a few wrongs....??
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I assume I won't see any of the gigs because they'll probably be way beyond my price range. I was spoiled in college getting to see shows for free and just can't stand paying through the nose to see almost anyone these days. But I'll buy a new record or EP if they make on, or a live album/DVD, etc.

I don't think they've messed up any kind of legacy they have. They recorded a great album and a solid follow-up, before falling apart (as have so many bands) amidst too much pressure and too many drugs. But now they're demonstrating that grown men can try to bury the hatchet, which seems far more positive to me than preserving the "legacy" and sniping at each other in the press. A lot of people will be able to experience the band for the first time, parents can introduce their kids to it, etc. I'm really not seeing the downside here.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

They are musicians, though. It's not a hobby. That's how they all make a living (or did at one point in time, at least). They don't do it for charity (even if Ian Brown did go on record once as saying that he'd only reunite if the $ went to a not-for-profit ... not sure if this is even true). Who are we to say that they shouldn't get back together, even if money is the primary motivator. They don't owe anybody anything. If they need the money, I don't blame them. I wish I could take my band on the road and make a million dollars.

Also, I don't recall hearing these complaints when the Pixies reunited and they have been touring for years without a scrap of new material to show for it. I'm pretty sure that reunion was motivated by money, but most people seem to be quite pleased with it nonetheless.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krisskrossfrog
Known user

Post by Krisskrossfrog »

and if it gives people something to look forward to..... then why not.

I won't be rushing for tickets, but will certainly be looking on in interest.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

If you buy tickets just make sure you're not turning up a year late....

According to the NME piece......... 'It's official - The Stone Roses have reformed for comeback shows in 2010.'

Post by sunray »

Guess there's no new Primal Scream album happening any time soon then. :(
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Kowalski
Known user

Post by Kowalski »

sunray wrote:Guess there's no new Primal Scream album happening any time soon then. :(
Well sadly it looks like Mani has left the band, not sure if it is for good or not.

But David Holmes is producing the new album and its due out some time next year, possibly in the spring/summer. Maybe they'll get Glen Matlock or Douglas Hart in to play bass?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

What makes you say Mani has left Primal Scream? Obviously, he will have commitments with the Roses, but depending on when the Scream album is due out, I could see him juggling both bands.
Kowalski
Known user

Post by Kowalski »

He's quoted as saying it is "heart breaking" to leave Primal Scream in order to "follow his dream".
But it's not clear if he is permanently leaving.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

http://www.thestoneroses.org/

damn manipulating bastards! they got me..

I went from thinking they just were ugly prostitutes with bad makeup to..
everyone-in-the-world-are-whores-but-the-roses-are-classy-callgirls! :D
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

i can't see this being anything other than embarrassing

been too long, ian brown was never the best vocalist from what i can tell, etc
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I see this going the way of The Verve. Brown's ego will probably crush it all again.

That said, I hope there's a Southern California date...hahaha.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

radioshack wrote:So, it seems Jason Pierce is really the only guy left in British rock I can think of who hasn't succumbed to nostalgia and £.
When Led Zep reformed I imagine there was some £ involved and a huge dose of nostalgia involved, but I wouldn't consider it fair to say they succumbed for those reasons and those reasons alone, especially Robert Plant. They were more minor reasons and afterwards they left it there.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

toomilk wrote:I see this going the way of The Verve. Brown's ego will probably crush it all again.

That said, I hope there's a Southern California date...hahaha.

For some reason after watching the press conference, I did not get that vibe. Next years gig in Manchester will be Arthur's
first 'official' gig.

Looking forward to it actually.

B,

M
Design.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Shaun wrote:When Led Zep reformed I imagine there was some £ involved and a huge dose of nostalgia involved, but I wouldn't consider it fair to say they succumbed for those reasons and those reasons alone, especially Robert Plant. They were more minor reasons and afterwards they left it there.
I think their reunion was unique. They made no money and, as you say, 'left it there'. Mind you they don't need money but there was a MASSIVE pay cheque that they chose to ignore. Admirable. Plus I was there which is a nice memory!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Basically the only bands who you could say hand on heart won't reform are those where too many members are dead (Beatles) or where the principal artists involved hate each other *so much* (Spacemen 3, Talking Heads) it's beyond reconciliation no matter how many dollar bills are waved in front of them.

Artistic integrity is a red herring, these people earn their money from playing music and if the money is good enough they'll play the tunes people want to hear...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Krisskrossfrog wrote: Didn't they fucked up their legacy a long time ago? Once Squire left and the rent-a-band version played Reading.... I remember reading stuff about how people were walking away crying....

Maybe it's not a bad thing for them to try and right a few wrongs....??
exactly. things can only go upwards from the horrible way it ended last time.
maybe with a few more years playing under their belt, better PAs etc, they'll be better live then ever?
Shaun wrote: When Led Zep reformed I imagine there was some £ involved and a huge dose of nostalgia involved
the Led Zep gig was actually for charity (Ahmets foundation) to they swiftly sidestepped any accusations of doing it for the cash.. very shrewd

who says that its a crime to make money from playing music anyway? nothing wrong with it being one factor amongst many, along as it's not the overriding factor.

will say that their 180 degree change of stance on this leaves a bad taste in the mouth a bit. Browns comment that "in times like these we can uplift people" isn't very convincing considering his previous statements on the subject...

and yeah Second Coming is really good I think. I'd be happy with a healthy dose of that in the setlists.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

that interview was hilarious. seems like a good sign if you ignore that john squire really didn't seem to want to be there. maybe he just really hates press conferences?

it's good to hear them talking about new material too
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

jadams501 wrote: I love the jamminess of that record, but the album was a little too bluesy Led Zeppelin for me without those wonderful Byrdsy chiming guitars of the debut. I've always thought a 3rd record that combined the raw power of Second Coming with the sonic richness of the debut could be amazing, would love to see them go down that road.
Ten Storey Love Song & How Do You Sleep both hark back wonderfully to the first album but with a chunkier and more swinging rhythm section

the only overly bluesy stuff on there is Driving South and Good Times.

I think when people classify Second Coming as a Zep rip off it's such a simplification. Begging You for example is an awesome slice of dance rock- like Fools Gold but darker and heavier
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

angelsighs wrote:
jadams501 wrote: I love the jamminess of that record, but the album was a little too bluesy Led Zeppelin for me without those wonderful Byrdsy chiming guitars of the debut. I've always thought a 3rd record that combined the raw power of Second Coming with the sonic richness of the debut could be amazing, would love to see them go down that road.
Ten Storey Love Song & How Do You Sleep both hark back wonderfully to the first album but with a chunkier and more swinging rhythm section

I think when people classify Second Coming as a Zep rip off it's such a simplification. Begging You for example is an awesome slice of dance rock- like Fools Gold but darker and heavier
Nailed it.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

angelsighs wrote:

Was listening to Second Coming and I'm not sure I agree with you. I think it's a cocaine record, with lot of big Zeppelin-esque riffs on the tracks you mention and also Breaking Into Heaven, Daybreak, Love Spreads, etc. That isn't necessarily a bad thing -- Breaking Into Heaven and Driving South are two of my favorite Roses songs, and the rhythm section sounds incredible throughout -- but overall I do miss some of the chiming psychedelia of their earlier stuff, though yes there are still a few traces of it. Not saying it's a rip-off, just that the album doesn't foreground one of their greatest strengths.

I've cooled to Begging You over the years. When I first heard it in high school, I loved it and it seemed to capture a muscular sound I'd always wanted to hear without knowing it. I've come to think that it's kind of too pandering, forcing on some dance rock as a nod to their club reputation without quite cohering as a song. I like to work out to it, but overall I'd say it's one of the weaker songs on the album. Can't hold a candle to Fools Gold imho.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Breaking Into heaven ,probably my fav. Roses tune ,Second Coming is a great album saddled with ridiculous expectations it just couldn`t live up to ,but taken on its own merits? ...its a great album.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah, there was no possible way that album could have lived up to all the anticipation. I don't know what people were expecting.
weird thing is, nowadays 5 years isn't actually excessively long to wait for a new release.

although I can see where jadams is coming from in a way, I still do think it's a great album. Daybreak is one of their greatest ever songs. that's the sound of all of them firing on all cylinders.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Holy shit - tickets for Heaton Park gonna be £55 plus the usual rip-off extras!!

IIRC Spike Island was £14 a pop...
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Inflation adjusted is £25 today.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Greeny wrote:Holy shit - tickets for Heaton Park gonna be £55 plus the usual rip-off extras!!
OUCH!!
I've been fairly positive about this reunion but that is just crazy. no thanks.
Kowalski
Known user

Post by Kowalski »

Allegedly getting announced on Monday:

Thu 28 June Heaton Park, Manchester
Fri 29 June Heaton Park, Manchester
Sat 30 June Heaton Park, Manchester
Thu 5 July Echo Arena, Liverpool
Sat 7 July O2 Arena, London
Sun 8 July O2 Arena, London
Wed 11 July SECC, Glasgow
Fri 13 July Slane Castle, Ireland
Sat 14 July Botanic Gardens, Belfast
Mon 16 July iTunes Festival, London
Fri 20 July Espacio Movistar, Barcelona, Spain
Sat 21 July Palacio de Deportes, Madrid, Spain
Mon 23 July Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy, Paris, France
Wed 25 July Futurshow Station, Bologna, Italy
Thur 26 July Datch Forum, Milan, Italy
Sat 28 July O2 World, Berlin, Germany
Sun 29 July Color Line Arena, Hamburg, Germany
Tue 2 Aug Globe Arena, Stockholm, Sweden
Wed 3 Aug Spektrum, Oslo, Norway
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Kowalski wrote:Allegedly getting announced on Monday:
etc etc

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

totally soulless venues and nowhere near me, plus that price tag.....
guess I'll be giving this a miss
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:totally soulless venues and nowhere near me, plus that price tag.....
guess I'll be giving this a miss
Good plan, might be worth sticking to really.

Excuse the OT waffle but: I have a rule about not going to see reformed acts play. This rule was inspired by a VU gig I went to in London which was uttter, utter toss. On the few occasions I've broken this rule I was typically dissapointed by the band. Notable exceptions were Magazine and MBV. I would have difficulty ignoring a Spacemen 3 reuniion, but then I think I'ld be pretty pissed off if I went and they were shite.......

I'm comfortable missing the Stone Roses. I saw them several times and thought they were pretty average as a live act. They did get a mad crowd which made for a great atmosphere and a great night out (if that makes sense). The first album and the associated singles are magnificent though.....
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

The iTunes thing, assuming it's at the Roundhouse as usual, would be worth it, but that comes down to getting lucky in a draw.

No surprise they're milking the UK, but is their legend *really* strong enough to play big arenas in Europe? Time will tell I guess...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think they'll struggle to totally fill the two Manchester dates to be honest. they may have a bit of 'legend' about them but they never really sold that many records, surely??

I can't think of any place worse to see them than the 02.. sipping warm overpriced beer while watching four dots on the horizon trot out Fools Gold as lots of lads sing along around you and film it with their camera phones..

unlike olan I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a band reunion. people forget the good ones that worked. and even if it doesn't live up to the old days can still have a lot of merit

but this is starting to leave a bad taste in the mouth.. I thought the Roses were a band who "did things differently"??
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Sold out already, 3rd night added.

:)

M
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

MODLAB wrote:Sold out already, 3rd night added.

M
I stand corrected :)
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

And of course, they're going to be on Eavis's radar. 
What more can the heart of a man desire?
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

MODLAB wrote:Sold out already, 3rd night added.

M
And when that sells out that will rack up, in basic ticket sales for Manchester alone...

Wait for it...

TWELVE MILLION POUNDS!!!

No wonder Squire has swallowed hard and gone along with it.

Given how they got totally screwed over by Silvertone I have to say good luck to 'em (especially Reni) even if I'm not bothered about going.