Stone Roses to reform

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

MODLAB
Site Admin

Re: Stone Roses to reform

Post by MODLAB »

Greeny wrote:
MODLAB wrote:Sold out already, 3rd night added.

:)

M
And when that sells out that will rack up, in basic ticket sales for Manchester alone...

Wait for it...

TWELVE MILLION POUNDS!!!

No wonder Squire has swallowed hard and gone along with it.

Given how they got totally screwed over by Silvertone I have to say good luck to 'em (especially Reni) even if I'm not bothered about going.

I'm actually happy for them. They have their retirement all sorted, if it all works out.

But will they be able to stay together for a full blown tour... I hope so.

M
Design.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

From NME:

Frontman Ian Brown said:

"We plan on spending the rest of the day jumping up and down with our hands in the air."

Ha ha ha! Buy us a pint, monkey man!!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

The Stone Roses at the O2 just sounds really, really wrong. The most corporate venue in London and they pick it.
AIt will be a very sad day if they play there.

Tear me apart and boil my bones
I'll not rest till she's lost her throne
My aim is true my message is clear
It's curtains for you, Elizabeth my dear

how you doing O2 arena! This ones for all you cats in the corporate boxes....
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

MODLAB wrote:

M
I reckon they will just about last this tour only. I certainly don't think they will make it to Glastonbury in 2013!
I think Reni will bail before then
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

simonkeeping wrote:The Stone Roses at the O2 just sounds really, really wrong. The most corporate venue in London and they pick it.
AIt will be a very sad day if they play there.

Tear me apart and boil my bones
I'll not rest till she's lost her throne
My aim is true my message is clear
It's curtains for you, Elizabeth my dear

how you doing O2 arena! This ones for all you cats in the corporate boxes....
+1

Roundhouse or nothing for me.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I have read rumors/talk on Facebook that Reni is the one who needs the money most. His financial situation might be the primary reason behind this tour/reformation.
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

It's easy to say "I wouldn't do it", "my integrity dictates that" blah blah blah. If any of the shitty (or decent for that matter) bands that I was in were suddenly, inexplicably offered insane amounts of money to "re-unite" for a couple of shows, could I turn it down? Probably not. Muscles, you want to chime in on this? Has anybody offered to throw you some cheese for a Majesty Crush comeback?
Something Wicked That Way Goes...
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

This whole thing has been pretty surreal hasn't it. I honestly thought it would never happen and, now it has, I'm not quite sure how I feel. The Roses weren't the first band I was really into (that honour goes to New Order/Joy Divison) but they are certainly up there with my favourite bands of all time. They really were the soundtrack to my years at Sixth Form College and University and they will always hold a special place in my heart. I only ever saw them twice, both times on the Second Coming tour, and I'm gutted I never saw them with Reni on the skins. I haven't bothered getting involved in the bun fight for tickets for their Manchester shows but I reckon I will either try to get tickets for London through friends that work in the music industry or try and make a weekend of it and go and see them somewhere in mainland Europe (have been dropping massive hints to Mrs Shines, especially as its my 40th next July :wink: ).

Whatever way I look at it, I think its great that the 4 of them are together again, for whatever reasons. They got totally screwed over by Silvertone and, when you think how much money Oasis made out of being their tribute band, I don't begrudge them for trying to get one (last?) massive pay day. I just hope they do stay together till next year otherwise there's going to be a lot of disappointed people.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

Greeny wrote:

M

Given how they got totally screwed over by Silvertone I have to say good luck to 'em (especially Reni) even if I'm not bothered about going.
didnt get screwed by Geffen tho did they?
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

angelsighs wrote:
MODLAB wrote:

M
I reckon they will just about last this tour only. I certainly don't think they will make it to Glastonbury in 2013!

or Squire. Or that might be the last hurrah! What a way to end... Sunday @ Glastonbury (FUCK I would be tempted)

I hope that I will be one of the lucky ones for the Roundhouse gig.

M
Design.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

solarflarez wrote:
Greeny wrote:

M

didnt get screwed by Geffen tho did they?
Silvertone appealed agains the signing I believe. Something like that and it all went down the shitter.

M
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

MODLAB wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
MODLAB wrote:

M

or Squire. Or that might be the last hurrah! What a way to end... Sunday @ Glastonbury (FUCK I would be tempted)

I hope that I will be one of the lucky ones for the Roundhouse gig.

M
you're right, I guess there's still 8 months until the first gigs. a nice year long world tour would just about last them till Glasto as a last hurrah then go their seperate ways...

been reading some Stone Roses forums and the fans on there are crazily dedicated (I know we can talk, but..), paying well over the odds for tickets, even though more uk dates are in the pipeline... mental. surely the first gigs on a tour are never the best, and what if it turns out shit??
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:you're right, I guess there's still 8 months until the first gigs. a nice year long world tour would just about last them till Glasto as a last hurrah then go their seperate ways...
been reading some Stone Roses forums and the fans on there are crazily dedicated (I know we can talk, but..), paying well over the odds for tickets, even though more uk dates are in the pipeline... mental. surely the first gigs on a tour are never the best, and what if it turns out shit??

Errrm, this was the point of my post. Going to see a band that was important to you (many years later when they have reformed) is all about what if it turns out shit??.

Having said this, I'm in the UK next week on a work trip and A Certain Ratio are playing two nights in MCR since it is 33 1/3 years sinced they started. I'm going to have to turn up to that.....
marmalade
Known user

Post by marmalade »

fuck it, i went to see The Specials in 2009, and they absolutely rocked it
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I can see both sides here (yes it does get painful here sitting on the fence sometimes..)

reunions can work, and they might be better live than ever. the fact that they have already been rehearsing is a good sign. i can see the appeal of being there for the 'first show back'..

but imagine if you were one of those fans who paid hundreds of quid for a ticket, got so excited, met up with other fans, got to the front..then the band come on and sound like shit... ouch.. :shock:

that's why i'm watching this from afar initially... might be tempted to go to a show later on but staying away at the moment
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i have this minus the box. anyone want pm moi

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stone-Roses-Ve ... 165&sr=8-1

gone. b
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Confirmed for T in the Park: http://www.tinthepark.com/ As well as Benicassim : http://fiberfib.com/?gclid=CMP03cqcp6wCFUtC4QodVg2A7A
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
mn_spi
Known user

Post by mn_spi »

aaaaaaaaand FUJI ROCK FESTIVAL: http://www.fujirockfestival.com/
YAY.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

aand possibly the similarly resurrected Pheonix Festival?

http://www.phoenixfestival.co.uk/
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Blimey, the Phoenix festival... I went there in '96 when Neil Young, The Sex Pistols, Bowie and Bjork headlined. Can't remember much now apart from the fact that I missed Neil Young as my girlfriend at the time dragged me off to see Lush in the tent!!! :shock: To be fair, I wasn't really aware of the great man at the time and only started getting into him a year or so later. I do remember standing right at the back of the crowd when he came on though and thought, what'd this old fella going to sound like... he then played the opening chords to Hey, Hey, My My and I couldn't believe how loud it was.
Kowalski wrote:Allegedly getting announced on Monday:

Thu 28 June Heaton Park, Manchester
Fri 29 June Heaton Park, Manchester
Sat 30 June Heaton Park, Manchester
Thu 5 July Echo Arena, Liverpool
Sat 7 July O2 Arena, London
Sun 8 July O2 Arena, London
Wed 11 July SECC, Glasgow
Fri 13 July Slane Castle, Ireland
Sat 14 July Botanic Gardens, Belfast
Mon 16 July iTunes Festival, London
Fri 20 July Espacio Movistar, Barcelona, Spain
Sat 21 July Palacio de Deportes, Madrid, Spain
Mon 23 July Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy, Paris, France
Wed 25 July Futurshow Station, Bologna, Italy
Thur 26 July Datch Forum, Milan, Italy
Sat 28 July O2 World, Berlin, Germany
Sun 29 July Color Line Arena, Hamburg, Germany
Tue 2 Aug Globe Arena, Stockholm, Sweden
Wed 3 Aug Spektrum, Oslo, Norway
Also, has there been official confirmation of these European dates? Mrs Shines was thinking of treating me to tickets for either Paris or Berlin for my 40th (I have been dropping quite a lot of hints :wink: ). Spoke to my friend at the Roundhouse and, although she was on holiday when the Manchester shows were announced, she still hasn't had anything confirmed for the iTunes festival. Where did you get these from in the first place Kowalski?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/8 ... z1d3t6jdTo

David Beckham revealed as reason for Stone Roses reunion
The secret behind the Stone Roses' hugely anticipated reunion has finally been revealed - fan David Beckham asked them to do it.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/8 ... z1d8b1jqE5

The Manchester band were one of the biggest names of the late 80s independent music scene but their original line-up last played together 16 years ago.

After years of fans wishing for it to happen, last month the band confirmed they were re-uniting, and all 220,000 tickets for their first shows in Manchester next summer sold out in just 68 minutes.

Singer Ian Brown and bass player Mani are huge Manchester United fans, and The Sun reports that former United player Beckham used his influence to persuade the band to bury their differences and get back together.

Beckham is reported to have approached Mani last year and then spoken to singer Brown at Gary Neville's testimonial in May.

'Ian and Mani are Reds through and through so they all knew each other a bit back in the day', a source told The Sun.

'David heard there was a chance the ice was thawing between Ian and guitarist John Squire and he got involved.

'He told Mani in no uncertain terms he simply had to get the band back together.

'He said he would be willing to ring all the boys and beg them to crack on. And when he was Ian [at Neville's testimonial] he really laid it on thick and said he would be willing to do anything to make it happen.'

Victoria Beckham's former band the Spice Girls have not played together live since February 2008. It is unclear if that is also down to her husband's influence....

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/8 ... z1d8ax5Ioy
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

The band - made up of Ian Brown, John Squire, Gary 'Mani' Mounfield and Alan 'Reni' Wren - will be playing shows in Liverpool, London, Glasgow, Slane and Belfast.

Thestoneroses.co.uk leaked details of the bands upcoming tour claiming that they would perform three dates in the capital - on July 7 and 8 followed by another show at the iTunes Festival on July 16.

So far only The Stone Roses three reunion shows at Manchester's Heaton Park on June 29, June 30 and July 1 have been officially confirmed with tickets for the gigs sold out in record time.

Demand was so high that they became the fastest selling rock concerts ever and raked in almost £12.4million.

The site also claims that the band will play nine concerts in Europe after their UK and Ireland tour taking in Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, Bologna, Milan, Berlin, Hamburg, Stockholm and Oslo.

Their European tour will allegedly kick off in Barcelona on July 20 before wrapping up in Oslo on August 3.

Frontman Brown said of the reunion when it was announced: ''This is a live resurrection, and you're invited, so you better be there,' he said.

'We've still got it in us. No one in the world can touch the Stone Roses when we play together.'

Buy Stone Roses 2012 tour tickets here.

Stone Roses' full 2012 rumoured tour dates:

Manchester Heaton Park (June 29,30,July 1)
Liverpool Liverpool Echo Arena (July 5)
London O2 Arena (7,8)
Glasgow SECC (11)
Ireland Slane Castle (13)
Belfast Botanic Gardens (14)
London iTunes Festival (16)
Espacio Movistar, Barcelona, Spain (July 20)
Palacio de Deportes, Madrid, Spain (July 21)
Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy, Paris, France (July 23)
Futurshow Station, Bologna, Italy (July 25)
Datch Forum, Milan, Italy (July 26)
O2 World, Berlin, Germany (July 28)
Color Line Arena, Hamburg, Germany (July 29)
Globe Arena, Stockholm, Sweden (August 2)
Spektrum, Oslo, Norway (August 3)

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/music/879766-sto ... z1d8bMy5ea
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Shinesalight wrote:Also, has there been official confirmation of these European dates?
I think those tour dates have proven to be bullshit now. a spokesperson for the band denied them,
and they weren't announced on the Monday.

also.. apparently one of the arenas in Europe no longer exists!!!

Pheonix festival would be cool for me as it's only down the road
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

just signed a two album deal
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

actually, it's two record deals, (not a two record deal)- one for US and one for rest of world

I'm very surprised by this.. I was certain that the talk of 'new songs' would simply, at the best, mean a couple of new tunes played at the shows, with talk of a new album that never materialises. interesting.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

angelsighs wrote:actually, it's two record deals, (not a two record deal)- one for US and one for rest of world

I'm very surprised by this.. I was certain that the talk of 'new songs' would simply, at the best, mean a couple of new tunes played at the shows, with talk of a new album that never materialises. interesting.
my bad- to be honest i didn't really read it, not at all interested :wink:
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Let's hope some savvy lawyer has loaded that contract with watertight clauses relating to penalties for late delivery!

Post by kaleidoskull »

they never wanted to stop playing really,just got ripped apart from all the crap both managment and self induced,if the wounds have healed and they can play together again,then im down....otherwise i will just go back to relying on the charlatans!