loutalica- lulu

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bunnyben
Known user

loutalica- lulu

Post by bunnyben »

so what do people think of mr reed's latest offering?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Laz69
Known user

Re: loutalica- lulu

Post by Laz69 »

i'm not even going to go near it... i hate metallica and just think this has disaster written all over it...
Last edited by Laz69 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Any time I see articles on this in magazines or the internet I have to do a double-take because I think it's Lou Reed, Metallica and Lulu collaborating.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I watched about five minutes of the promo interview they did about this. There were clips of them playing an absolutely horrific version of "Sweet Jane" at some awards show (I'm sure this was the catalyst behind the Lulu project). I'm pretty this record is awful.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Finally, something I can point to as even more embarrassing and credibility-shredding than the United Nations of Sound!
Ghost_World
Known user

Post by Ghost_World »

Average. Could've been better had they done this collaboration years ago when he could sing and they didn't just make a tuneless dirge. Their styles don't gel now. But there's some moments on the album that are alright. I'd say both acts have done worse.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

The shitstorm Lulu has generated is hilarious. Seems like reviewers are falling over themselves to see who can slag it the most without actually giving it a chance. I'm quite enjoying it, personally. It's not great art and it's not something I'm going to play often, but it's got some good chugging, droning moments and "Junior Dad" is genuinely lovely.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

Ghost_World wrote:. I'd say both acts have done worse.
yeah the antihype calling it one of the worst records ever made are fucking liars..
I find Lou´s voice on the album pretty interesting..

dragon is ok,
junior dad and cheat on me has some good parts but not enough to warrant the length of those songs (11:30 and 19:30)

pumping blood is mostly embarrasing but it has something that sort of made me think of scott walker´s last two albums..

not great but not a total disaster either
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

mc wrote:The shitstorm Lulu has generated is hilarious. Seems like reviewers are falling over themselves to see who can slag it the most without actually giving it a chance...
Or slag it off the most without even listening to it apparently. Have you seen any of the amazon reviews?
Hilarious - mainly for the furious Metallica fans complaining about this crazy old man droning on top of them - fuck them!
I also know some Velvets fans who are horrified by this collaboration - that's good enough for me, really.

The levels of intense dislike/outrage have reached such proportions that I've put it 'on the list' - some ultra-misanthropic Lou always sounds good at xmas. :wink:

Also that Volcanic Tongue-related link Shaun posted in a similar thread had an awesome quote from Lou regarding this album:

"This thing is the best thing ever done by anybody"

:D :twisted:
O P 8
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

I should really give it a full listen, but what i've heard so far hasn't been that promising. Some things are great together; others not so much. I give Lou and Metallica kudos for stretching their boundaries, though.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

saw them do White Light White Heat on Jools... oh dear :shock:

but yeah, kudos to both for doing something that was very likely to piss off both their respective fanbases
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i've listened to two thirds of it on my way home. i fucking love it! it's fantastic. i can't abide metallica but this is great, it's berlin's ugly sister :D
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

'it's maybe the best thing done by anyone, ever. it could create another planetary system. i'm not joking, and i'm not being egotistical' lou reed

"It’s really weird. Do I understand it? If anyone thinks they understand it, they’re on drugs. It’s a weird album, man! We listened to most of it. We were just like, 'What the fuck is this?' It’s so weird. I saw some videos of it live and if those dudes are happy doing that, then more power to them, because they’re still my favorite band, but it’s really weird and I think everyone thinks that, too." Trivium bassist Paolo Gregoletto