Cashier No 9.

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

clewsr
Known user

Cashier No 9.

Post by clewsr »

Is anyone else into these? Really enjoying 'To the Death of fun', lovely cheery space pop fun, Like Engineers, but upbeat. Their from Belfast, David Holmes produced the album and you can tell its got some of his sound.
sunray
Known user

Re: Cashier No 9.

Post by sunray »

They supported at Screamadelica in Belfast in August. Also saw them supporting The Aliens and David Holmes in Donegal three years ago. Didn't make much of an impression on either occasion.

No idea Holmes was involved with their album though.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

clewsr wrote:Is anyone else into these? Really enjoying 'To the Death of fun', lovely cheery space pop fun, Like Engineers, but upbeat. Their from Belfast, David Holmes produced the album and you can tell its got some of his sound.
Having heard the single Oh Pity on 6Music and liked it, it was this post that made me follow up my interest - I'm a sucker for anything that David Holmes goes near. Well, thank you for bringing to my attention what will probably be my favourite album of the year. It's lovely, summery, well-produced and generally quite joyous. It reminds me a lot of Shack (specifically HMS Fable), which is clearly a great thing.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Hey, I'm glad you checked it out and you like it! It is vying with War on Drugs as my favourite album of the year. Agree with you that 'Joyous' is a good description, and we all need that now and again.

I have not heard of Shack, I am going to check that out - thanks for the tip.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I got this on vinyl yesterday with some Xmas gift vouchers but not 100% to be honest. A bit twee and almost "baggy" sounding on first listen. Going to give it another go but, at nearly £20, if it doesn't grab me on the 2nd listen it might be going back and exchanged. Bought the last Arbouretum album yesterday too... again, it hasn't blown me away but it seems to have a bit more to it than the Cashier No.9 album.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

one of the things I like about it is it takes me back to pre-oasis indie. It does sound like it could have been made in the same era as the 1st Stone Roses album, but that's no bad thing for me.
One Asian Under A Groove wrote: It reminds me a lot of Shack (specifically HMS Fable), which is clearly a great thing.
Also once more feeling slightly sheepish at my lack of music knowledge - I find that Shack have been around forever and are from Liverpool where I've lived for the last 16 years :oops: But they sound good, thank's for the tip
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I know I'm ploughing a fairly lonely furrow with my liking for these guys, but they have a pretty nifty new song for download so I thought I'd share -

http://www.themajesticshow.com/2012/04/ ... new-music/
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

It reminds me a bit of World Of Twist which is high praise in my book.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

Great timing to resurrect this thread - I've just booked tickets to see them in a tiny club in Edinburgh in May. Very excited! The album has only been shifted from being my go-to album for the journeys to and from work by SHSL :mrgreen:
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Nice. I wish they were playing in England as well. Hoping to catch them at a festival, they are playing at the Magic Loungeabout which I might drag the kids to.

spzretent, - I thought you might like them. I'm going to spend some of my day listening to world of twist now.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

I listened to this album a lot for a while. Some cool stuff on it

'The lighthouse will lead you out' is a bit of a standout
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

they really are the gift that keeps on giving - a couple of acoustic tracks and some more tour dates for your delectation

http://www.fanrealm.com/tour-info/cashi ... d-the-u-k/

Although I'm disappointed they are playing Chester and not Liverpool the ticket price for Chester is £4!! I'm sure I paid more than that to get into gigs 20 years ago. Now that's what I call value.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

clewsr wrote:
spzretent, - I thought you might like them. I'm going to spend some of my day listening to world of twist now.
You are correct. I immediately ordered the Cd after your link to the download.
Thank you sir!
:wink:

I wish there were more World Of Twist.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

they played as daniel johnstons backing band when he played bfast recently & I was genuinely surprised & even delighted @ how they acquitted themselves. was v impressed, they contributed well to a p magical nite.

yea they are a little common indie, wear their influences on their sleeve, BUT they do have potential & a bit of a 'edge' to them.
I found the debut fine but not exciting & a little slight, but I am still interested to see where they go next..
gonna burn brightly
for a while