Some Girls Deluxe

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Holden
Known user

Some Girls Deluxe

Post by Holden »

Just listening to the second disc. I have a belly full of wine so my judgement might be slightly askew, but my god , this is so good.
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: Some Girls Deluxe

Post by spzretent »

It is very good. I had no access until today. I had heard about half of those tracks on bootlegs. Very country-ish.
I went to my local Best Buy and bought the double CD package with a really nice 1978 tour poster t shirt for $30.
I am a huge Stones fan but not really this era. Well worth picking up though.
I also picked up that Some Girls Live show DVD from Texas. I knew that Some Girls was partly inspired by Punk but their live show totally was. Even down to Mick's outfits.
I saw them for the first time in 1978 in football stadium. So I dont really remember this tour that well. until now.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'n no Stones expert but is Some Girls considered one of their better albums? it doesn't get mentioned much. I was a bit confused when I saw it was getting reissued. it is just cause it was an album that happened to have a lot of outtakes in the vault?

Miss You is a tune, though. I know that much.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Some Girls ended what many consider an "uninspired" period with Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock N Roll & Black & Blue. I love Goats Head Soup and Black & Blue.
Some Girls was fresh. A mix of punk, disco and country influenced songs. So it made the Stone relevant again. And it was a huge commercial success.
Not sure if there is any youtube footage for the 78 tour. Their live show was very clearly punk inspired.
Don Was recently said the Stones have some many amzing outtakes and unreleased tracks in their vault they could release one great album a year for the next 50 years.
The way they worked was start some sessions and record everything. They have so many great outtakes. These were actually from the Black & Blue sessions which a lot of Some Girls came from.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

cool, thanks for the info. I've only got the 'classic era' stones albums (all of which are fantastic apart from Beggars Banquet which I find overrated), and the Singles Collection:The London Years which shows what an amazing singles band they were in the early dates. the B sides are brilliant.

I have heard whispers that the Stones are stingy in terms of issuing unreleased material. why not open the vaults and do some sort of Dylan-style bootleg series?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i'm taking it then that this is a stones record? i thought it was maybe a homage to the 60's style girl band... :oops:
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

angelsighs wrote: (all of which are fantastic apart from Beggars Banquet which I find overrated), and the Singles Collection:The London Years which shows what an amazing singles band they were in the early dates. the B sides are brilliant.

I have heard whispers that the Stones are stingy in terms of issuing unreleased material. why not open the vaults and do some sort of Dylan-style bootleg series?
Really? Beggars overrated? Its my 2nd favorite Stones LP behind Exile. Once you get past the hits or the first track on each side the record is amazing.
They do have loads of unreleased material. I have a lot of it on bootlegs. Particularly from Let It Bleed thru Exile era. A lot of it amazing quality. No idea when they remaster/reissue Cds everytime they jump labels the never included any of these tracks as a carrot for fans to justify buying the record fro the umpteenth time. It really pisses me off. The last two reissues have been given the deluxe treatment. Exile & Some Girls. The Some Girls big box set looks nice but no way am I paying $150 for it.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

^^^ yeah, there are some amazing Stones boots available if you look. the 2 cds worth of early 60's radio sessions is amazing and theres some fantastic outtakes from their run of classic albums especially the let it bleed era....did go a bit mad on Stones bootlegs a year or so ago.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

weird, you would have thought they would love to get all the outtakes out there... more income with less effort :)

yeah, I'm not a big fan of Beggars Banquet much really...first two songs are amazing (I really think the languid melancholy of No Expectations should be mentioned more), but I don't really like Street Fighting Man, and the rest of the tracks just seem like undistinguished acoustic songs. it is no way near as good as Exile, Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

We can agree to disagree. Salt Of The Earth, No Expectations, Stray Cat Blues, Parachute Woman. I have heard the singles so many times I skip over them when listening.
I know the Stones were a great singles band but their body of work, especially from that period, is up there with any band's 4 to 5 album run in rock history. Beggars, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile. Bookend that with either Satanic Majesties Request or Goats Head Soup and there is 5 great lps in a row.
If I had to pick one I didn't rate as highly I guess it would be Sticky Fingers.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

spzretent wrote:We can agree to disagree. Salt Of The Earth, No Expectations, Stray Cat Blues, Parachute Woman. I have heard the singles so many times I skip over them when listening.
I know the Stones were a great singles band but their body of work, especially from that period, is up there with any band's 4 to 5 album run in rock history. Beggars, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile. Bookend that with either Satanic Majesties Request or Goats Head Soup and there is 5 great lps in a row.
If I had to pick one I didn't rate as highly I guess it would be Sticky Fingers.
Wow, Sticky Fingers is one of my favorite albums of all time. In my mind, it is virtually flawless. I agree with you about Beggars Banquet, though. "Stray Cat Blues," in particular, is tremendous.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Multi wrote:Jigsaw Puzzle!
YES! That was one of the first Stones songs I became obsessed with - that slide guitar is outstanding!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

runcible wrote:
Multi wrote:Jigsaw Puzzle!
YES! That was one of the first Stones songs I became obsessed with - that slide guitar is outstanding!
Sorry. In my defense I didn't want to name every non single.
Point made though.

Sticky Fingers? Love it. Gun to my head that would be the one i'd leave off the list.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

if i had that proverbial gun to my head, Sticky Fingers might actually be my favourite. Brown Sugar I'm a bit sick of, but Sway is superb, Can't You Hear Me Knocking is a great instance of them really stretching out, Wild Horses is beautiful..

and Moonlight Mile is just.. sublime...
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

[quote="angelsighs"]Brown Sugar I'm a bit sick of, [quote]

nah ...have you heard the version with clapton on slide from the recording sessions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B0Y3LUqr1Q > CLASSIC