Favourite live albums

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

jadams501
Known user

Re: Favourite live albums

Post by jadams501 »

bunnyben wrote:
bbbhenko wrote:
jadams501 wrote:One of my favorite Dylan boots, but the sound quality is poor at least on my version. It's my favorite version of Rainyday Women, but it cuts off after just over a minute. Let me know if you have a full version!

I'd think there's probably gotta be the whole show in the vault somewhere, since Dylan put a few songs on the (underrated) Self-Portrait album.
there are many different bootlegs existing of this gig, since there are so many different sources. hollow horn released one called "mighty mockingbird" which is taken from one single source and contains the entire gig, except for a minute or so at the beginning of the first track (she belongs to me). this one contains the full rainyday women. the sound quality is rather good, but of course not as clear as the official stuff (and yeah, rumour has it that the entire gig was recorded officially). i also own one or two boots where the entire gig is collected from the "best available sources", but the worst quality on those ones is clearly inferior to the hollow horn release.
do you have the hollow horn one by any chance? and if so could you upload it please? :D :oops:
Enthusiastically seconded!
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

wanted to thank this thread for putting me onto The Sound's Dutch Radio Recordings

awesome stuff
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

angelsighs wrote:
robotoilet wrote:The Sound - Live 09.04.82 Utrecht, No Nukes Festival (The Dutch Radio Recordings)
8)

this is awesome stuff.. for anyone that likes postpunk like Joy Division or the Bunnymen, check this out and also the BBC Recordings. The Sounds studio albums sound really dated and 80s sounding now, but the live stuff is so intense (and aptly enough much easier to find than the studio albums which are out of print)
Kurious Oranj wrote:wanted to thank this thread for putting me onto The Sound's Dutch Radio Recordings

awesome stuff
:D :D :D

Their two studio albums, Jeopardy and From The Lion's Mouth are going to be reissued in January. I hope so will be the BBC recordings.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

robotoilet wrote: Their two studio albums, Jeopardy and From The Lion's Mouth are going to be reissued in January. I hope so will be the BBC recordings.
really ?? I didn't know this :) they have been unavailable for a long time!

the BBC Sessions album is awesome- the first disc is various sessions tracks, and the second disc is a couple of proper gig recordings... the quality on that disc is phenomenal.. its so intense and powerful.. i love what the sax brings to it too.. (reminds me of live versions of Electricity where the sax would do these blaring notes over the top of noisy guitar)

which Dutch Radio Recordings are people talking about.. the only one I've got is the Utrecht one (volume 5).. fantastic stuff..
i know you can get them seperately and there was also some sort of boxset... doesn't the sound quality vary over different volumes?

there is also a proper live album called In The Hothouse but that's hard to get hold of too.

:)
so glad more people are being introduced to The Sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEtWx0WTeQs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfi87t5q_QY
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

It is a ROIO, (a boot), but of Excellent Quality; I am certain that is a soundboard recording:
A 1981 East German Recording of "Kraftwerk" on 3 LP's; these are contained in a "Computerwelt" Like Cover,
w/ inserts, in German, along w/ closeup Photos of the Band on stage. Very nice; I have not heard this for well, too long! It will get placed on the "to be listened to" List.

Another Excellent bootleg, or Record Of Indeterminant Origin, is a 1977 Elvis Concert, "1977 New Years Eve". WOW.
He really couldn't speak all that well, at least not at that time of day/night, VERY FEASTIVE, what a singing voice! I lack a singing voice; I was very happily "singing" away, when there was a rush to my study, and I was nervously asked, "is everything alright, you sounded in Great Pain"; How Embarrassing. This was issued on both Pink and on white vinyl, and was
extremely well done, although the Jacket Artwork is not quite so well done; Excellent pressings, however.

"801 Live", w/ Brian Eno as a "guest" performer is another favorite.

"The Dead Kennedys A Skateboard Party" is another great ROIO. Interesting "crowd sounds", as well

"Spiritualized", I enjoy them ALL.

I am certain others will come to mind!
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus