what band did you grow up with

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bunnyben
Known user

what band did you grow up with

Post by bunnyben »

as in reached puberty, went through various life stages and they were mirrored in the albums they were releasing then maybe you outgrew them or they split or the connection is still going strong. mines brmc, and yours?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
James T
Known user

Re: what band did you grow up with

Post by James T »

I got Parklife the day it came out, I was only like... 6 at the time, so that's maybe weird? Anyway, Blur have been my favourite band pretty much ever since and throughout.

I was going to start a thread like this, about 1 album that was really important to your musical development... Even though it's not the best album ever, I'd go with the sky is too high by graham coxon. It introduced me to more lo-fi sounds and interesting guitars... I dunno. I was only about 9 when it came out but it put me on to a lot of interesting music at a young age.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

Bitelz - then wayleurs and stouwns..
too many bands were equally important to me after the age of 9
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

First music I remember was The Beatles singing She Loves You on the radio - probably in about 1969. First music I owned was Gary Glitter. Then I loved Abba from the ages of about 10 to 12. Yup.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I was a young kid growing up in the industrial American midwest in the mid-1970's and KISS were my gods. 'KISS Alive!' (the first one), in particular, was my bible.

Soon after I discovered Aerosmith, Grand Funk Railroad and Led Zeppelin.

I never listen to KISS anymore but I do still have all my old KISS albums from my childhood (complete with their poster inserts with lots of scotch tape on the corners!). Led Zeppelin grace my stereo and my ipod regularly and I will sometimes put on early Aerosmith ('Rocks' or earlier LP's) and Grand Funk ('Survival' or earlier albums).
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

In my teenage years, it was Pearl Jam. I came along a while after their heyday, but I always resonated with the increasing spiritual focus of the mid-90s, culminating with No Code. In hindsight, It's all a little hamfisted, but it made sense at age 16. And, shortly after Kurt Cobain had killed itself and grunge had kind of eaten itself in a heroin binge, there's something admirable to the band trying to direct its adolescent to thoughtful maturity.

Later on, it became Verve and Ashcroft's solo career. I agree that Verve really lost something when McCabe was eclipsed by Ashcroft's songwriting, and that Ashcroft's solo career has suffered from lack of a dynamic band, but despite all that I think Ashcroft remains an organic and compelling singer-songwriter with a gift for searching, spiritual songs. I respect that despite his obviously erratic personality he's devoted himself to positive, uplifting material -- even if it solicits mockery from the cynics. Ashcroft is trying to create adult pop music, and that's a worthy goal in this degraded day and age.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I remember my parents buying me a cassette player when I was 8 and the first tapes I bought were Adam & The Ants' Kings of the Wild Frontier, Madness' Absolute Madness and Bad Manners' Looney Tunes (it was 1980 by the way if you hadn't guessed already :wink: :oops: ). I loved those albums and Madness and Adam & The Ants were pretty much the soundtrack to my early years along with other, very slightly alternative, chart pop (I have strong memories of being blown away by Laurie Anderson's O Superman, but then again so were a lot of people...it did get to number 2 in the British charts after all :shock: ). I remember being at secondary school and the point where you were either a U2 or New Order fan. I only really knew Shell Shock and Bizarre Love Triangle at that point but I certainly preferred that to the pompous goings on of U2!

It wasn't till I met a new friend in my street, when I was about 14-15, and went round to his house to find his Dad was obsessed with music and had a massive vinyl collection with an amazing stereo set up (though its taken me about 25 years to finally follow his lead and invest in a turntable where you have to lift the whole platter to change the speed... it seemed so outer-worldly when I watched him doing it when I was a young teen!) that I really got heavily into alternative music. It was then that I discovered Joy Division, The Smiths, The Wedding Present and got further into the New Order catalogue than just the couple of singles I'd previously known. I loved all those early New Order albums and my friend did me a load of taped copies of his Dad records until I bought them all on CD (once they were invented!). Still gutted I never got round to seeing them live :( :P

Once I went to Sixth Form College and turned 16 it was all about baggy and shoegazing for me. I never got into the whole drug or rave culture but simply adored the Roses, The Mondays, Inspiral Carpets and The Charlatans (along with Northside, Paris Angels and Flowered Up). It was all indie for me from then on really... Ride were a particular favourite along with early Verve. And from there it was all about Spiritualized and then back towards the Spacemen. I can honestly say though, it wasn't till I joined here some time ago that I really started venturing out to discover more "out there" stuff and tried to ween myself off the more "traditional" indie fare.
Last edited by Shinesalight on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Man I feel old.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Wow Shinesalight, pretty similiar progression here...
Shinesalight wrote:Madness and Adam & The Ants were pretty much the soundtrack to my early years...The Smiths, The Wedding Present ....
Started off with Adam & The Ants KOTWF & Prince Charming then became a little Madness obsessive around the time Of Madness Absolutley (Embarrassment/Baggy Trousers), drifted away from them around the time of Rise & Fall (Our House) to become a Subbuteo nut and then back into music with the Housemartins in a big way. Then The Smiths/Wedding Present/Spacemen 3 (Playing With Fire)....

Heard a lot through my older brother in the late 70s like Blondie, AC/DC & The Police then Pink Floyd in the 80s
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I was never overly bothered about music as a wee kid, but at a young age, probably about 7 or 8, my dad used to have his two mates round every Friday night for a drink. One was a huge Beach Boys fan and the other could play absolutely ANY instrument you gave him...

Anyways, i used to lie in my bed with the door open ever so slightly so i could listen to the music all night. Dire Straits, Hendrix, Rolling Stones, Gerry Rafferty, Pink Floyd, Led Zepp, Black Sabbath, Cream, John Mayall and a whole host of other great guitar artists. Must have heard so much good music over the years that it ingrained itself. I remember many years later buying a copy of Led Zepp II on vinyl and hearing it and feeling like i was that wee boy in my bedroom listening again. Still have a soft spot of Dire Straits' Alchemy Live album as a result :oops:

After the Friday night partys stopped, i didn't really listen to anything of my own until my uncle introduced me to the early Mary Chain and The Pastels and stuff like that. I was more interested in it because i thought he was such a cool guy and liked to just be around him (being younger than him, i was in awe of all this music, movies, culture that he was aware of that i wasn't... i thought he was cool... he babysat me once... we watched some classic movies which, incidently, influence my cinematic tastes even now!). My introduction to alternative music had started...

It was probably a few years later that i started hanging out with some friends who had heard things like Spacemen 3 through their big brother and their older friends, just around the time when LGM and Soul Kiss were being released... i had took a real shine to Creation records and the wave of artists they had on their books - Slowdive, Swervedriver, The Boo Radleys, Teenage Fanclub and almost everyone else they had on that label! These two worlds collided and everything just snowballed from there...

I can't imagine my life without any of it now... 8)
Now, i'm knee-deep in music and struggle to keep up!!!! :lol: :lol:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

runcible wrote:Man I feel old.
I thought that when I read that Bunnyben grew up to BRMC??!! :shock: :oops:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Shinesalight wrote:
runcible wrote:Man I feel old.
I thought that when I read that Bunnyben grew up to BRMC??!! :shock: :oops:
i was 15/16 then to be fair, my first album was morning glory when i was 9...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

bunnyben wrote:
i was 15/16 then to be fair, my first album was morning glory when i was 9...
At 15/16 I was raiding the vaults of the 60's and discovering the Grateful Dead, Country Joe & The Fish, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Pretty Things and The 13th Floor Elevators.

It wasn't until that first Flaming Lips album came out around 1986 that I got really excited about contemporary underground music.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Rolling Stones. Bought Hot Rocks then was weened on the rest of the catalog from Let It Bleed on up.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

in my early teens my mate was big into Yes, Pink Floyd and stuff like Rush (!) and Genesis (!!). Hoovered a lot of that stuff up - as much on the basis of the lp sleeve artwork than anything else.

His brother was massively into Bowie so picked that up too.

Around that time, I also spent a lot of time flicking through 2nd hand vinyl in early 80's collecting Human League, which I still have and stands up well.

by mid/late teens = Spacemen 3, who remain my all time favourite band together with The Fall.
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

my first exposure was queen live in 1975
first record was Chuck Berry - My ding a ling which must have been about 77
Blondie fan club member in about 1978 - testosterone kicking in
Gary Numan massively - awckward teenager from 79 for quite along time
then the smiths, New order before the mary chain and then
the primitives - same as blondie but older lol
before Spacemen 3 and all the usual suspects
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

I was 9 years and doing my homework on the table in the livingroom when my dad returned from the city with a record he bought. He put it on. The track was 'Have you see your mother babty, standing in the shadow?' Somehow this tune pulled a string. I knew I was gonna get hooked to rock 'n' roll from then on. The year was 1979
"Thank you"
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

From reading some of the posts on here I've gathered that I'm among the older demographic here.

In keeping with the original question, the only artist I can think of that has been a constant throughout almost all stages of my life has been Julian Cope, from Teardrops at the tail end of the 70s through to early solo stuff as a teenager and his classic trilogy (Peggy/Jehovahkill/Autogeddon) as I was moving on to/at University. Still follow his other projects nowadays (although the relationship is a being tested a little by what he's putting out these days!).

Pre-Teardrops I think the only records I owned were a Disney compilation on double cassette and a Baron Knights album - quite a leap to psychedelic pop!

Post by Sim »

I will add though that it was slightly disconcerting to like bands that hardly anyone had heard of when 9 years old so I also managed to acquire a sizeable Adam and the Ants collection at the same time. However when I picked up Dirk Wears White Sox after the hit albums of Kings... and Prince Charming, and preferred it, I think I realised the direction my tastes lay in.

Post by runcible »

So no one here is owning up to being fans of music that they might consider to be a tad dodgy when they were young it seems?

I taped Tina Charles 'I Love To Love' off the radio when I was a kid - that is pretty embarassing. I bought Elton John's Greatest Hits. I bought several Showaddywaddy 7"s. Had several Abba albums and loved them. Collected Wings albums too. Even later I thought Marillion were cool and I was a teenager by then. Not all this stuff is shite (bar Marillion and Tina C) but not really what I'd play these days.

Come on folks - let's have some honesty here. Everyone on the forum had cool tastes when they were small?
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Plenty of dodgy periods along the way but I thought the point of this thread was to find if there had been an artist/band that had been a constant in people's lives.

I had my Toyah fixation, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Simple Minds (the dodgy late period stuff, later discovered the better earlier stuff, much later....) and then the quasi goth of Mission, All About Eve, Nephilim, etc. Not afraid to admit them but they were just phases, hardly a constant feature in my listening thru all periods in life.

Post by Broc »

Sim wrote:I will add though that it was slightly disconcerting to like bands that hardly anyone had heard of when 9 years old so I also managed to acquire a sizeable Adam and the Ants collection at the same time. However when I picked up Dirk Wears White Sox after the hit albums of Kings... and Prince Charming, and preferred it, I think I realised the direction my tastes lay in.
I pestered my mum to get me Dirk but to no avail so when my older sister bought it for me and I hated it I just couldn't admit it to her!
runcible wrote:So no one here is owning up to being fans of music that they might consider to be a tad dodgy when they were young it seems?

Come on folks - let's have some honesty here. Everyone on the forum had cool tastes when they were small?
Well I thought my admission of being more into Subbuteo than music for a few years was pretty uncool!
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Oh shit, was Subbuteo uncool?

Post by Broc »

Dunno, probably. Look at adults playing on youtube and they are definitely uncool.

Had to let my nephew beat me last weekend. First time I'd played in about 30 years. Great fun. Wish I had a son as an excuse to get a set though my eldest (5 years old) daughter liked it, maybe Santa should get her a set in the interests of equality!
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

runcible wrote: Come on folks - let's have some honesty here. Everyone on the forum had cool tastes when they were small?
The first album I consciously loved was Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell. I was a 12-year-old that didn't give two hoots for music when it came out, but that album changed everything. The angst, the voice, the thundering guitars that sounded like motorbikes, the pounding pianos and angelicly devilish choirs! I'd never heard anything like it. I soon started acquiring various metal and hard rock albums at a prodigious rate, but Back Into Hell was my favourite for a very long time. Then when I was 13 I got my first R.E.M. album and my tastes quickly became much cooler :wink: It's Michael Stipe and co. that will forever remain as the band I grew up with and I doubt any band will ever better them.

But Bat Out Of Hell II remains an incredible album. So there :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Sim wrote:Plenty of dodgy periods along the way but I thought the point of this thread was to find if there had been an artist/band that had been a constant in people's lives.

I had my Toyah fixation, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Simple Minds (the dodgy late period stuff, later discovered the better earlier stuff, much later....) and then the quasi goth of Mission, All About Eve, Nephilim, etc. Not afraid to admit them but they were just phases, hardly a constant feature in my listening thru all periods in life.
I took the 'grew up with' too literally then?

I liked Toyah too til I realised she couldn't hold a note. I bought 'Relax' at the time of release and Frankie made some great tracks - I still think that. Two Tribes? Pleasuredome? Cracking songs I like early Simple Minds. I loved The Mission and the Nephilim (the latter were really great the first time I saw them live although it was mostly smoke!). All About Eve were average - In the Meadow was a good single though.

No shame here!
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

runcible wrote:I took the 'grew up with' too literally then?
I see what you mean, I guess Cope was still the only constant throughout teens and into early 20s though, others came and went.

Mission were definitely a major part of mid-late teens. Actually caught them recently on their 25th anniversary gig in Leeds a few weeks back, good excuse to meet up with an old friend and the lineup (Salvation, Wonder Stuff and Mish) was too much of a nostalgia trip to miss, we used to go to as many gigs of all of theirs as we could around the country. Still found myself cringing at Hussey's lyrics though, the return of Simon Hinkler was a major draw.

Nephilim I thank for introducing me to Mary My Hope when they supported them on a tour, short-lived but Museum is still an album I go back to. The Nephilim's live album still sounds good today.

Post by runcible »

...and as it's this time of year I'll add that I bought Slade's 'Merry Christmas Everybody' and Wizzard's 'I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day' when they first appeared in the charts too. Blimey - when was that? 1973? Fuck me, I was 9.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Sim wrote:the return of Simon Hinkler was a major draw.
An underrated guitarist for sure...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:So no one here is owning up to being fans of music that they might consider to be a tad dodgy when they were young it seems?
KISS isn't exactly cool. But, I guess they had their day. From '75-'78 they seemed like the coolest band in the world.

I also liked Rod Stewart's "A Night On The Town" LP when I was about 8/9. But KISS, Aerosmith, Grand Funk and Led Zepp were plastered all over my walls. I joined the KISS Army in 1977 and was a faithful member until about 1979 when I decided to stop sending Gene Simmons my $5.

Before discovering 60's music my hard rock pre-teen years initially led me to Judas Priest, AC/DC, Van Halen, Iron Maiden etc. Never got into ABBA, Duran Duran or Adam & The Ants though.

And then I smoked something and my world and my music tastes changed... 8)
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

I had older brothers & sisters so music was always playing on the old RCA "furniture" stereo in the 70's. I got the bug at a very early age. Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Grand Funk Railroad, Foghat, Fleetwood Mac, etc, etc, etc.

Around age 10 my faves were: The Stones (Through The Past Darkly), The Cars, Cheap Trick, Pretenders, AC/DC, Van Halen, The Who (The Kids Are Alright),

...then I graduated to prog rock - Yes, Genesis, Crimso

Back to the thread topic, I think? As far as bands that stuck from my teen years (the mid 80's)...The Bunnymen, New Order, Joy Division, The Smiths, The Cure, Cocteau Twins, The Mary Chain, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark. Still love 'em all, even if I don't listen to them that much anymore. Also was really into the Byrds & Neil Young around this time, both of whom I still love.

I like this topic much better, fess up folks!

Time for some laughs...

Here goes:
Scritti Politti - Cupid & Psyche...(This should win the fucking award!)
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

[quote="Sim" Disney compilation on double cassette quite a leap to psychedelic pop![/quote]

not that far- singng teapots, bear's with the neccesities...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

helterskelter wrote: Blondie - testosterone kicking in
i had britney spears- though i never listened to her music- it was just on the same time as the videos. i even read a bio of her
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Sim wrote:
runcible wrote:I took the 'grew up with' too literally then?
I see what you mean, I guess Cope was still the only constant throughout teens and into early 20s though, others came and went.
yes, that's what i was getting at- growing as a person into who you are now, not stuff you'd hear in your nappy...
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i grew up w/britpop & then nu-metal. i managed to miss the post-grunge era which was on a similar time-line to those genres.

what contemporary band(s) i actually listened to were RH & Ash. aside from that it was p much whatever my older bro had already been thru - Guns, & Dylan especially are what i listened to by far the most growing up along w/Nirvana/SG & other grunge bands like PJ/AiC/MLB. then my mate came into school talking about this bandhe'd heard on John Peel & this song called Jimmy the Exploder & then the strokes/brmc came along & were good. got into the blues via the white stripes & dylan.
then i was getting bored & saw spz were playing & thought i'd go check them out. they kinda opened up everything else tbf.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

bunnyben wrote:
yes, that's what i was getting at- growing as a person into who you are now, not stuff you'd hear in your nappy...
Guess I too misunderstood the original question. I thought you were asking who we first liked as a kid that kick started our loves of music.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

I taped Tina Charles 'I Love To Love' off the radio when I was a kid - that is pretty embarassing. I bought Elton John's Greatest Hits. I bought several Showaddywaddy 7"s. Had several Abba albums and loved them. Collected Wings albums too. Even later I thought Marillion were cool and I was a teenager by then. Not all this stuff is shite (bar Marillion and Tina C) but not really what I'd play these days.

Abba is a great shout had a lot of there stuff in my youth.

Jesus Runcible Abba > The Damned > Spacemen 3 what are the odds on us following that same path, and if you throw in the footy......... :lol:
'Remember, change is not good'
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

first tape I bought on my own was Zig and Zag - Them Girls http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH80X3lC5M0
Remember buying it on cassette

Growing up I didn't really seek out my own musical interests until about 16... remember Dire Straits "brothers in arms" cassette being around when I was younger and listening to that a lot... then I got a couple of my dad's old albums, Clash debut and a Rolling Stones best of and that was the spur I think listening to 60s and 70s bands... 16/17 was spent with stone roses and primal scream and whatever they were playing at the "indie" nights at the local club.. oh and King Curtis "memphis soul stew" - hands down THE best song to dance to!!
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
kaleidoskull
New user

Post by kaleidoskull »

well,i was a music fiend also,but everything i dug was older than me...enter fugazi the summer between 7th and 8th grade...they pretty much soundtracked my adolesence/young adulthood....along with bieng a follower of some of the local bands on the phoenix scene around then.i didnt hear the roses untill 91 0r 92....but them and oasis took over as i burned out on punk....its just too much!
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

I was thinking about this the other day.
Its Spiritualized.
17 when i first saw Spacemen 3 at what turned out to be their last gig. By the end of that year i was well into them.
I saw Spiritualized for the first time in 1991 and with a few exceptions have seen them on every tour since. Not to mention buying records within days of release, hoovering up bootlegs etc

I am in a similar position with Echo & The Bunnymen but as I didn't see them until aged 15 in 1987 - well past their best I don't think the grow up WITH criteria applies. I still haven't actually listened to their last lp either. I can't imagine it holds any surprises.

Similarly I was over the moon to learn of the Simple Minds 5x5 shows where they will play tracks from the first 5 lps. Can't say i grew up with them though. i didn't get into them until 1985 - again, well past their their early career best. By 1988 i was hoping that no one would remember i liked them. Only seen them once, at a festival from afar and for only 20 minutes. I haven't brought a SM record for over 20 years.
Heavy Tourism