Classical indian music?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bbbhenko
Known user

Classical indian music?

Post by bbbhenko »

as this is probably the best resource online that i know of when it comes to music recommendations... :D

i have discovered indian classical music quite recently. it all begin with seeing a three-piece live act (sitar, tabla & harmonium) passing through my city, and now i am caught. absolutely love the drones, the subtle rhythm and the suggestive melodies.

anyway, as i begun my journey of discovery in recorded classical indian music, i started out with ravi shankar (of course). as of now, i play the albums "three ragas", "improvisations" and "live at the monterey international pop festival" constantly on repeat at work.

my question to the board is therefore simply: where do i go from here? any tips? i'm especially interested in other (maybe more contemporary??) classical indian musicians that i should check out. i would also love it if anyone could recommend me some music that is maybe slightly more "experimental" but still with classical indian instruments (e.g. the sitar)? i know of quite a few groups that (quite successfully) have used a sitar for the melody line in one or two songs, but i was thinking something more indian and less pop, if you know what i mean... :)

all recommendations are highly appreciated! :P
good dope/good fun
Known user

Re: Classical indian music?

Post by good dope/good fun »

Not classical, but this stuff is extremely psychedelic.
Worth checking out.
If the picture doesn't load, the album is Those Shocking Shaking Days.

bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

not classical but greart (i haven't listened to this for years and years) i only remember as i stumbled upon it in a carry case of cds the other day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfmvNvTNNoc
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

good dope/good fun wrote: Those Shocking Shaking Days.
Good recommendation. It's Indonesian rather than India but as gd/gf says, it is excellent.

Ananda Shankar's album from 1970 is excellent and worth tracking down.

'These Trails' is also well worth investigating. Like gd/gf's rec this isn't Indian it is a Hawaiian acid folk/psych record but very, very interesting. Very much in it's own niche...almost unclassifiable.

There are also several comps out there of raga rock, sitar rock and more traditional Indian music.
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

thanks for all those recommendations! will definitely check them out! :)
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

i quite like his works.
Ali Akbar Khan (1922 - 2009) is one of this generation's most legendary Indian classical musicians. Considered a "National Living Treasure" in India, he was admired by both Eastern and Western musicians for his brilliant compositions and his mastery of the sarode (a beautiful 25-stringed Indian instrument). The late concert violinist Lord Yehudi Menuhin called Khan "an absolute genius... the greatest musician in the world," and many consider him "the Indian Johann Sebastian Bach."
you can find lots of his stuff on this site.
http://www.midheaven.com/artist/khan-ali-akbar
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

another great pic is this one:

pandit prannath - earth groove

I give you the liner notes:

pandit prannath, probably the greatest master of vocal music sings with the utmost feeling and penetrates the listener with the intensity of his soul. prannath ji is the greatest exponent of the kirana school. his style is so unique that contemporary north indian musicians have incorporated it their music.
prannath ji has always been saintly and spiritually oriented and is completely devoted to his music. he is known to be the musician of musicians. for the last ten years he has been a professor of music at delhi university.
the album contains 2 ragas, one raga each side

salut,
hrmn
"Thank you"
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

I think I have more sitar strings than ragas.. and none without khan or shankar

takes me about half an hour to tune my current (second) sitar.. and then it feels very awkward playing when sitting the way you are supposed to..

I will have to make a sample lib of myself playing if I want to do something serious with it.
much easier than tuning it and holding it the traditional way..
that´s the spirit of the 21st century.. no dedication.. lazy ass scratch! :roll: :oops:
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

scratch wrote:I think I have more sitar strings than ragas.. and none without khan or shankar

takes me about half an hour to tune my current (second) sitar.. and then it feels very awkward playing when sitting the way you are supposed to..

I will have to make a sample lib of myself playing if I want to do something serious with it.
much easier than tuning it and holding it the traditional way..
that´s the spirit of the 21st century.. no dedication.. lazy ass scratch! :roll: :oops:
meh, the modern way would be to stick on a cd and not even bother to hold it at all... meh
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

thanks again for all the great recommendations! have checked out a few so far and they sound great... this board is truly amazing :D
kaleidoskull
New user

Post by kaleidoskull »

i have a couple records by a guy named ballachander?...too lazy to dig em out to check spelling....and pramod kumar...language of the raga is a good one.i also find all kinds of rad and unique stuff on you tube