albums due out in 2012

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bunnyben
Known user

albums due out in 2012

Post by bunnyben »

can't wait for the ian mcculloch new album (if it gets released) spiritualized ofcourse but mostly the new LEONARD COHEN RECORD (30TH JAN) O YES!
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
bunnyben
Known user

Re: albums due out in 2012

Post by bunnyben »

Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

on the wings of mercury!

and new my bloody valentine

:lol: :(

but on a serious note looking forward to new animal collective and hoping anton newcombe puts out something official after all his youtube demos in 2011

i guess im hoping new stone roses isnt a disappointment too
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Spiritualized
Violens
Neil Young ... surely he'll put something out. Maybe a new Archives release.
White Hils
Radiohead ... Ed O'Brien said they're rehearsing 4 or 5 new songs for their 2012 tour. Surely, some kind of release will follow.
The Soft Pack
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

definites:
Dirty Three
The Twilight Sad
Durutti Column
The Mars Volta
Polvo
Earth

possibles:
Grizzly Bear
Secret Machines

wishful thinking/cloud cuckoo land:
MBV
Rangda
Godspeed
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

blimey, that leonard cohen album cover it horrible!

hmmm, i'm mostly excited to hear the new lupine howl album still...
obviously spectrum, if it should materialise,
spiritualized... woo!
appleseed cast?
i dunno. kinda like the surprise of seeing what magically appears rather than charting the progress...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Mark Lanegan Band
Mazzy Star

:D
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

redcloud wrote:Mark Lanegan Band
Mazzy Star
ah yeah, of course those too!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Sweet Light, Sweet Heart
(what else?)
...and something new from Primal Scream would be great. Thinking back, both Spiritualized and The Scream seem to release albums around the same time... do they? Sort of.
O P 8
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Kurious Oranj wrote:on the wings of mercury!

and new my bloody valentine

:lol: :(

but on a serious note looking forward to new animal collective and hoping anton newcombe puts out something official after all his youtube demos in 2011

i guess im hoping new stone roses isnt a disappointment too
Anton has suggested he's putting out 5 lps in 2012 (?!). I've ripped his most recent stuff from Youtube plus the 15 or so demos that were on Waking Up to Hand Granades and like much of it. Would be great to get this in half decent production quality - but an official release doesn't guarantee any improvement in production if their latest 10 inch was anything to go by. Still, some release by BJM plus UK tour would be great, second only to Spectrum LP (or even EP) as most wished for in 2012.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

KingHarry wrote:
Anton has suggested he's putting out 5 lps in 2012 (?!). I've ripped his most recent stuff from Youtube plus the 15 or so demos that were on Waking Up to Hand Granades and like much of it. Would be great to get this in half decent production quality - but an official release doesn't guarantee any improvement in production if their latest 10 inch was anything to go by. Still, some release by BJM plus UK tour would be great, second only to Spectrum LP (or even EP) as most wished for in 2012.
5 LP's doesn't mean they will be any good. Don't get me wrong, I love 1993-2003 BJM but imho, they haven't released a truly great album since "...And This is Our Music", which is a beautiful record and probably my personal favorite from the band. I also adore the tune 'God is My Girlfriend' on the EP that came out after '...ATIOM" but, everything since about 2008 has personally left me feeling very cold (no pun intended at Anton's new found Icelandic ramblings and Nordic beats).
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

redcloud wrote:
KingHarry wrote:
5 LP's doesn't mean they will be any good. Don't get me wrong, I love 1993-2003 BJM but imho, they haven't released a truly great album since "...And This is Our Music", which is a beautiful record and probably my personal favorite from the band. I also adore the tune 'God is My Girlfriend' on the EP that came out after '...ATIOM" but, everything since about 2008 has personally left me feeling very cold (no pun intended at Anton's new found Icelandic ramblings and Nordic beats).
That EP (We are the Radio) is brilliant. Just Like Kicking Jesus was also ace, and My Bloody Underground could have been really good if the production quality wasn't so very very bad. I'm not mad about portions of Who Killed Sgt Pepper and Smoking Acid was rotten, but his new new direction on the recent demos is really exciting to these ears. Seems it's just him on his own these days, which is shame, so there's not likely to be some of those gems of yesteryear, but all the same looking forward to these releases. He apparantly posted a tracklist of LP number 1 for 2012 on Facebook yesterday, so things are definately afoot.

For anyone interested, this has just been uploaded - BJM 1990 Demo Tape, unearthed gems - http://www.mediafire.com/?x657cvtizoh0izu
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Leonard Cohen! The next GBV album in May.

Kraftwerk
Low
Dirty Three
Retribution Gospel Choir

I'd say Kraftwerk might get delayed, but the others are definite.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Was doing a bit of a search for Carlton Melton vinyl, came across the Facebook page of Agitated Records (http://www.facebook.com/pages/AGITATED- ... 00?sk=wall) and then stumbled upon this trailer for a new album from Howlin' Rain due out this year:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eUlHaef ... ture=share

8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

this might sound a bit odd, but it just occurred to me that the album i most want to hear is the final sparklehorse album. I have no idea if there are plans for it to ever be released, but from what i remember reading it was at the mixing stage, so basically all recorded. seems a real shame if it never saw the light of day..
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

KingHarry wrote:Seems it's just him on his own these days, which is shame, so there's not likely to be some of those gems of yesteryear, but all the same looking forward to these releases.
Didn't Matt Hollywood move to Germany to be closer to Anton so they could write and record again? I haven't seen Hollywood around Portland since the last BJM tour, which leads me to wonder if there might be a bit of truth to it. But, who knows.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

redcloud wrote: 5 LP's doesn't mean they will be any good.
really great argument there :roll:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Kurious Oranj wrote:
Actually, if you read the rest of my post I explained my feeling about BJM's recent records ('MBU' onwards). So, based on those later albums the thought of 5 more LP's doesn't excite me.

It is also only an opinion. My opinion.

Take it or leave it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote:
Kurious Oranj wrote:
Actually, if you read the rest of my post I explained my feeling about BJM's recent records ('MBU' onwards). So, based on those later albums the thought of 5 more LP's doesn't excite me.

It is also only an opinion. My opinion.

Take it or leave it.
Agreed - just became Anton can be prolific doesn't suggest quality if his last few releases are anything to go by. I love the We Are The Radio EP - that's so underrated. I'd select Time Is Honey (So Cut The Shit) as the highlight on that - such a delicate feel and a lovely melody in that song.

But every release after it sound half-baked and underwhelming, so saying the prospect of 5 new BJM albums isn't that exciting reflects my feelings also.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

i think my concern with his newer stuff is that it's less about traditional song writing and more about just looping stuff that sounds cool to him.

WKSP has a lot that sounds cool initially (at least in my opinion anyway) but there's no substance to it that makes me want to revisit it with any frequency

it's also pretty telling that the touring setlists only contain like 2 songs from MBU and nothing else new (those being the more traditional verse-chorus-verse songs)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

noticed that there is a little bit on Sweet Heart Sweet Light in the new uncut 'preview of 2012' feature. its only a little bit of text and largely tells us stuff Jason has already said
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

angelsighs wrote:...and largely tells us stuff Jason has already said
that's classic journalism. at least it doesn't go off on rant about urban hymns :wink:
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Maybe the Black Ships album?

Like many others, I was a bit underwhelmed by the Kurofune EP. I think McCabe and Jones probably have some pretty good stuff on tape but lack the bandleader to quite pull it all together. In their last Facebook update they said that they had recorded some more stuff and were struggling to figure out the best way of release in this modern music industry. It's an interesting question -- theoretically from the links to Verve and Coldplay the Black Ships should be a somewhat marketable project to a relatively large audience, but they seem to be navigating the business end on their own, in their pajamas in their homes, so it's hard to say what's going on.

I hope something comes out eventually. They had a video on their website maybe 9 months ago teasing some material and promising a 2011 release, so maybe an album could come this year? I'm not hugely confident that it will materialize, or that it will realize the potential of Verve without Ashcroft's ego, but it would be nice to hear.
kromosapiens
Known user

Post by kromosapiens »

for me:

new Spectrum !!!

new Füxa

new Main !!!!! (Robert Hampson re started the band in 2011 with Stephan Mathieu)

new Hipnoascensión !! (the Peruvian psych gods!)

not new Spiritualized, Jason has misunderstood gospel with psychedelia and has not done nothing valuable since 1995's Pure Phase imo but on the contrary he has won a lot of bills , wonder why?

new Chapterhouse and new MBV!?? -well they're together again! :wink:

cheers from North Lima, Perú

Wilder.
http://soundcloud.com/wildergonzalesagreda
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

just read scott walker will have a new record out :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bunnyben wrote:just read scott walker will have a new record out :D
what.. has it been ten years already?? :)
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

mark fucking lanegan
and spiritualized
earth
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Shinesalight wrote:Was doing a bit of a search for Carlton Melton vinyl, came across the Facebook page of Agitated Records (http://www.facebook.com/pages/AGITATED- ... 00?sk=wall) and then stumbled upon this trailer for a new album from Howlin' Rain due out this year:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eUlHaef ... ture=share

8)
heard a track from the new Howlin Rain' album on the CD free with this months Uncut..
not impressed unfortunately, it's much more polished and classic rock sounding than before. even more so than the last album. also still fairly jammy and there is a looseness there, but it's a long way from the distorted mayhem of Comets On Fire. come back, Comets!!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

angelsighs wrote:noticed that there is a little bit on Sweet Heart Sweet Light in the new uncut 'preview of 2012' feature. its only a little bit of text and largely tells us stuff Jason has already said
but it confirmed that i am what i am is the track he wrote with dr john- just very different :roll: :lol: :wink:
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

angelsighs wrote:
bunnyben wrote:just read scott walker will have a new record out :D
what.. has it been ten years already?? :)
"I've become the Orson Welles of the record industry. People want to take me to lunch, but nobody wants to finance the picture...I keep hoping that when I make a record, I'll be asked to make another one. I keep hoping that if I can make a series of three records, then I can progress and do different things each time. But when I have to get it up once every 10 years... it's a tough way to work."

nope, only 6
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I really want to hear the new Spiritualized. I'm getting antsy for updates!!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

toomilk wrote:I really want to hear the new Spiritualized. I'm getting antsy for updates!!
i wouldn't if i was you- the updates usually mean 'delayed 6 months'. just cross your fingers and wait for the letterbox to 'whooosh'
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

toomilk wrote:I really want to hear the new Spiritualized. I'm getting antsy for updates!!
next update would presumably be the sleeve art.
or maybe a single- although can see them not doing a proper single this time.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

angelsighs wrote:
any particular preference for a single (if there was one)?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

moop wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
hey jane but it would never be radio freindly so too late
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

bunnyben wrote:hey jane but it would never be radio freindly so too late
yeah, 'hey jane' was my first thought, since it's incredible, but then it occurred to me that it would be destined for a horrific 'radio edit' which cuts off the all-important 'sweet heart sweet light' part. no thanks!

given that they played 'hey little girl' at that gig in ireland, i'm getting the impression that would likely be a single. it's a catchy tune, but i'd love to see something a bit more atypical getting a release, such as 'i am what i am'. that would be great! i really love 'too late', but i see it as more of an album track. maybe a little too slow for a single release?

one thing that's been bugging me a little is how in the guardian interview jason called the album '10 succinct pop songs'. i'm hoping 'you get what you deserve' and 'heading for the top' werent too restrained, time-wise. i guess i should take what he says with a bag of salt, since hey jane and so long are bound to be around 10 mins each, based on their live versions..
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

also... after taking a break from the RAH recording, i listened to it again tonight to find it totally clicked. think i finally managed to appreciate it for what it is, rather than what i was hoping for it to have been.
can't wait to hear the studio version now! :)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

moop wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
not really thought about it to be honest. it is true that a likely candidate is Hey Little Girl, which is a shame because that is a weak song imo
a butchering of Hey Jane would be a travesty. all the different parts are so good.

fairly realistic choice, and one i would really like, would be I Am What I Am.

i'm sticking to my feeling that there won't be a single though. a preview download, maybe. a single, with video and b sides? prob not.
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

New Sleepy Sun album released on 9th April

http://www.atpfestival.com/newsview/1201121519.php
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Excellent news about the new Sleepy Sun LP!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bad form to quote yourself, I know but was just looking back over this thread and interesting to see how it panned out :)
angelsighs wrote:definites:
Dirty Three came out- was brilliant
The Twilight Sad came out- was brilliant
Durutti Column came out- haven't heard
The Mars Volta came out- just okay
Polvo nowhere to be seen...
Earth came out- haven't heard

possibles:
Grizzly Bear came out- was great
Secret Machines nowhere to be seen

wishful thinking/cloud cuckoo land:
MBV Kevin teased us as usual but may well be coming out soon!..
Rangda came out- was good
Godspeed actually came out!!!