Roxy Music

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Guessed
Known user

Roxy Music

Post by Guessed »

Happy New Year.
It's that time of year where i venture out into the world of 2cd's for a tenner and after watching my girlfriend do some housework to a cassette copy of Avalon i felt the urge to buy the final Roxy Music album for myself.
The song More Than This seems to be stalking us both a bit, so it felt just.

However, having started "getting into" Roxy Music in a wrong way for me i.e. not in chronological order I felt i'd go further and not even work in reverse chronology.

So very open to suggestions as to which album to go too next.

@spzretent I know you have had the odd Roxy marathon during some inclement weather and
@toomilk I recall you posting a thing or three about them

Look forward too all input

B,
S
johnnyboy
Known user

Re: Roxy Music

Post by johnnyboy »

For Your Pleasure.

Buy it.

For Your Pleasure.

The title says it all.

It was their second album and in my opinion a lot better than the debut. The debut is classed as a classic, and is very good, but is a bit 50/50 for me. For Your Pleasure is classic from start to finish. I really love the weird repetitive droning vibes of The Bogus Man, and Do The Strand is a fantastic album opener. You can buy it on Amazon for £2.99 with free p&p. Can't go wrong.

I've got Avalon as well but it's very silky smooth and radio friendly/dull in comparison. Keep meaning to buy Stranded at some point.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Cheers johnnyboy,

I'm enjoying basking in the atmospherics that Avalon offers and enjoying its smoothness. ;)

That's 1 for For Your Pleasure...seem to recall it appeared on the Top 50/100 albums thread a few times
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

johnnyboy wrote:For Your Pleasure is classic from start to finish.

I concur

something for everyones pleasure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPmMveU0dmc
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The first three albums would be my choice: Roxy Music, For Your Pleasure and Stranded. It all gets a bit too slick for my tastes after that.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I will rank them(minus Avalon):
Country Life
Siren
Stranded
For Your Pleasure
S/T
Flesh & Blood
Manifesto

Strictly my opinion. :lol:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

1. for your pleasure
2. roxy music
3. avalon
4. siren
5. stranded
6. country life (stranded and country switch places depending on mood)

the dull stuff are on the records from 79-80 not avalon imo.. but I must admit I have had more love for avalon after turning thirty.. so I guess it is fuckin aor.. :roll:
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Kind of funny that my taste in Roxy Music is opposite to most, if not all, on here.
I do recall going record shopping in Leeds in 1997 I think and there were all these boxes in this shop that had records for 2 quid each or three for 5 quid. I remember picking up 5 Roxy records and something else for a tenner. All original UK pressings in great shape. My host looked at me a bit weird.
Perhaps he will chime in.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I only meant Avalon was dull in comparison to For Your Pleasure, not dull in itself, though sometimes it can be if the mood's not right. There's a good time and place for Avalon, and that's lounge lizard time, with a G&T on the go, feeling smooth, with a couple of supermodels draped over the soft furnishings.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Mr H, you could do worse than heading down to Fopp records where most (if not all) of the Roxy albums are a mere £3 each - some of Brian Eno's solo albums were there as well.

When I was last there I found them on a shelf near the t-shirts. I picked up a few last year, I really like Country Life... although if I didn't mention I picked that one due to the cover I'd be lying...

Roxy Music and For Your Pleasure can definitely be recommended from here as well.
O P 8
marmalade
Known user

Post by marmalade »

the first two albums are excellent, as is Brian Eno's first solo album Here Come The Warm Jets which is basically a Roxy album without Brian Ferry and with the weirdness/interesting quota ramped up :P
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote:Kind of funny that my taste in Roxy Music is opposite to most, if not all, on here.
I do recall going record shopping in Leeds in 1997 I think and there were all these boxes in this shop that had records for 2 quid each or three for 5 quid. I remember picking up 5 Roxy records and something else for a tenner. All original UK pressings in great shape. My host looked at me a bit weird.
Perhaps he will chime in.
Yeah I remember that. You were smiling a lot I recall.

I like a very small amount of Roxy but find BF's voice really grates after a while...
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

johnnyboy wrote:There's a good time and place for Avalon, and that's lounge lizard time, with a G&T on the go, feeling smooth, with a couple of supermodels draped over the soft furnishings.
I know nothing about Roxy Music at all except that Brian Eno used to be involved in the early days, but I just had to order it after reading this description!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jadams501 wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:There's a good time and place for Avalon, and that's lounge lizard time, with a G&T on the go, feeling smooth, with a couple of supermodels draped over the soft furnishings.
I know nothing about Roxy Music at all except that Brian Eno used to be involved in the early days, but I just had to order it after reading this description!
You bought something after being influenced by someone on this forum? New Year's resolutions...?
:shock:
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

runcible wrote:You bought something after being influenced by someone on this forum? New Year's resolutions...?
:shock:
I've been convinced to give plenty of records a chance on the basis of forum recommendations -- Love's Forever Changes and Happy Mondays' Bummed to name but two examples.

There's only so much time, and I like a lot of genres. When I make time for spacey drone-rock, it's usually the Spacemen.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i've never got them. what am i missing?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

bunnyben wrote:i've never got them. what am i missing?
Opinion alert
You are missing a lot.
Well played sophisticated Glam Rock.
If you cant get past the vocals move on.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

spzretent wrote:
bunnyben wrote:i've never got them. what am i missing?
Opinion alert
You are missing a lot.
Well played sophisticated Glam Rock.
If you cant get past the vocals move on.
ok, which album should i see if the library have then?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Judging by this thread I would say For Your Pleasure. My favorites are Country Life and Siren.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

ferry's vocals definitely aren't for everyone.. great band but have to be in the mood

also agree with the idea of here come the warm jets being almost a 3rd roxy album after for your pleasure
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Taking Tiger Mountain is very much the same as Warm Jets. Very, very Roxy-ish.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

touche :D

anyone know if the live roxy music albums are worth the time?
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Kurious Oranj wrote:touche :D

anyone know if the live roxy music albums are worth the time?
That was going to be my next question.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

spzretent wrote:Judging by this thread I would say For Your Pleasure. My favorites are Country Life and Siren.
just got for your pleasure from the lib :D
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

I purchased For Your Pleasure today along with S/T, Flesh And Blood, Stranded and Country Life

I immediately put on For Your Pleasure in the car and first impressions were it was a million miles of subtleness away from Avalon. Perhaps it has something to do with my lack of sleep but the jarring guitar & keys had me reaching for something else (S/T) after 4 tracks.
I could deal with S/T much better
I will return too For Your Pleasure later this week but perhaps when it would be more in keeping with my state of momentum

So in short, if like me you've started with Avalon perhaps a little pep talk to yourself first

B,
S
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Sorry for the late response. Haven't been on here as much as I usually am.

Sadly, I don't know anything about Roxy Music aside from the fact that it was headed by Bryan Ferry and Brian Eno was once a member. :(

I'm actually using this thread as research - I've been wanting a starting point for them myself. hahaha.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I for my sins only own one Roxy Music album which is Roxy Music. It is quite frankly a belter. They had something undefinable in their sound which just makes for some very exciting original music. They also had a killer groove. The last few minutes of 'If there is something' reminds me of Cop Shoot Cop in some ways, Its just got that powerful groove and sparse arrangement.

'Remake/Remodel' is the just genius. Check this, I've nicked it from Wiki: The recording starts with a musique concrète introduction, a short collage of cocktail party noise, before launching into a stereotypical 1950s song structure. Whilst the basic backing track of guitar, acoustic piano, bass guitar, tenor saxophone and drums is relatively straightforward and traditional in form, other elements of the arrangement are quite bizarre and futuristic: Eno plays continual squalls of atonal oscillator noise from his Electronic Music Studios VCS3 synthesizer, whilst Ferry's lead vocal style is strikingly distraught and anguished in tone. The lead guitar and saxophone solos in the middle of the song also tend to cacophony

It is quite frankly 'proper good'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-zSnO7sbXg
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Because I am home loading up my website I decided to put the first 5 Roxy Cds on. Wow. The S/T one sounds amazing. Better than it ever has to my ears before. This ought to be fun.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Vinyl Factory have a 12" coming out v soon featuring a remix of Love Is The Drug and Avalon. Pitchfork have the Todd Terje remix up to stream http://www.pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks ... disco-dub/ but I really want to hear the Lindstrom & Prinz Thomas remix of Avalon. I do like a bit of Lindstrom, especially that Where You Go I Go Too album of his.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Well a week (maybe two...what is time!) after buying the back catalogue I'm HIT

Clearly Avalon is a belter
Siren and Flesh and Blood have seeped there way into me...Both Ends Burning (was it a HIT?) is stuck on repeat inside my nut
Now onto Manifesto...not sure if i'm going chronologically reversed or what...out my comfort zone

I meant to say that my earlier transition from Avalon to For Your Pleasure (see thread) was somewhat akin to going from Berlin to The Bells. Troubling but not a complete deterrent.

B,
S.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

From Dark Shark:

Although there is no official conformation yet, it seems likely that a 40th Anniversary box-set of Roxy Music's eponymous debut album - including previously unseen photos and unreleased tracks - will make an appearance later this year... Stay tuned!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Guessed wrote: (..what is time!)
Totally Irrelevant Manmade Element.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five