Primal Scream - New Album Info...

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

moop
Known user

Re: Primal Scream - New Album Info...

Post by moop »

burningwheel wrote:love this song, probably better than 2013. don't see the movin on up 2 comparison though but maybe i havent listen to it closely enough
try playing some slide guitar over the top
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

On this weeks Later with Jools Holland, Tuesday 16/4 at 10pm and Friday 19/4 at 11.05pm.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

they released an exclusive live ep amazon.co.uk today. there is is also free video footage of them, might be live tracks, haven't listened yet. culturecide is amazing. they were on xfm last week and played 2 new ones as well. elimination blues is also amazing
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Ach - forgot about the Jools Holland thing until half way through, so had to endure Jamie Callum, the awful token shambling indie act and the token world music act before The Scream played some new song - was pretty tired, so only remember they had a good horn section. And their new bassist remains cool as fuck.

Anyway, will try and get the full-show tomorrow - did they get interviewed? (Incidentally, there was this fantastic clip of a very recent interview in which Bobby was asked about the death of the former PM. Emotional to say the least. Mysteriously been pulled from the web it seems...)

Still - listen to this. For this year's Record Store Day the Scream are putting out a 12" with a cover of one of the greatest songs of all time - the awesome and astonishing 'City Slang' by Sonic's Rendezvous Band. This has been a big favourite at ours for a few years now, especially with the missus, so we were genuinely thrilled to hear they were covering it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNXHwjtaFhU :D :D :D

(The A-side features their cover of The Troggs 'I Want You' - which was released a few years back as another 'exclusive' RSD release I believe, with RTX doing a Spirit song on the flipside. Anyway, really wanted to hear the SRB cover - but will definitely not be queueing anywhere on Saturday with masses of straight-to-ebay bastards to buy it...)
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

BzaInSpace wrote:Ach - forgot about the Jools Holland thing until half way through, so had to endure Jamie Callum, the awful token shambling indie act and the token world music act before The Scream played some new song - was pretty tired, so only remember they had a good horn section. And their new bassist remains cool as fuck.

Anyway, will try and get the full-show tomorrow - did they get interviewed? (Incidentally, there was this fantastic clip of a very recent interview in which Bobby was asked about the death of the former PM. Emotional to say the least. Mysteriously been pulled from the web it seems...)

Still - listen to this. For this year's Record Store Day the Scream are putting out a 12" with a cover of one of the greatest songs of all time - the awesome and astonishing 'City Slang' by Sonic's Rendezvous Band. This has been a big favourite at ours for a few years now, especially with the missus, so we were genuinely thrilled to hear they were covering it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNXHwjtaFhU :D :D :D

(The A-side features their cover of The Troggs 'I Want You' - which was released a few years back as another 'exclusive' RSD release I believe, with RTX doing a Spirit song on the flipside. Anyway, really wanted to hear the SRB cover - but will definitely not be queueing anywhere on Saturday with masses of straight-to-ebay bastards to buy it...)
the second song sounded pretty good , will record the show tomorrow night then weed the chaff out the next day, small mercy Joolz never layered it with some of his feared boogie woogie piano pish , just stay in the comfort Bza ,then peel off a couple purple ones and have the 12" of e-bay, no problem ,delivered to the door, wrestling in my mind about a visit to Glasgow myself....
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

More Light deluxe has leaked. I noticed that the RSD 2013 12" tracks are included as bonuses.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

The whole album is on YT:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UU ... ciUj2TjM_w

First impressions is that this could indeed be their best since Evil Heat if not XTRMNTR.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

sunray wrote:More Light deluxe has leaked. I noticed that the RSD 2013 12" tracks are included as bonuses.
Yeah, they're on the Japanese version I think.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

It looks like there is no US release anytime soon.
Amazon UK have it for just over 15 GBP shipped to the US which is just over $25. Nice one for a double LP.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

spzretent wrote:It looks like there is no US release anytime soon.
Amazon UK have it for just over 15 GBP shipped to the US which is just over $25. Nice one for a double LP.
Thanks for the tip, that's a really good deal. Order placed.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

TheWarmth wrote:
spzretent wrote:It looks like there is no US release anytime soon.
Thanks for the tip, that's a really good deal. Order placed.
ditto.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Loving the new album. Sounds fresh.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
coffeepotman
Known user

Post by coffeepotman »

It's a grower, gets better everytime I listen to it
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Love it! Had it for 3 days...

M
Design.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, absolutely killer record. Best since XTRMNTR without a doubt. "River of Pain" is so awesome. The huge orchestral bridge totally blows my mind. This is probably going to be one of my favorite albums of the year.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

this is an absolute triumph.

& a really great surprise.

river of pain is awesome yea but so are most of the cuts. tip top stuff.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

wow high praise from everywhere for this then! looks like I'll have to check it out!!

are the bonus tracks worth hearing too?
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

it's driving me nuts- this record (and another record, as well as a looping pedal) came in the mail yesterday, i didn't get home from work until late, had to get up early to go to work today (which is where i am now) so it's just sitting at home next to the turntable waiting to be played when i get home in a few hours. i was able to rip the CD last night and load the files onto my ipod so i've just heard snippets- i should've just stayed up and listened to the whole thing- sleep be damned!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Angelsighs: Yes, the bonus disc is excellent, too. It's a bummer that the vinyl version doesn't include the bonus cd, at least that's my understanding. I have not received my vinyl copy yet.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I admit I am not the biggest Primal Scream fan. Especially on this message board. While I think the new record is good, on first listen it has not blown me away.
I do think the bonus remix Cd is really effin' good. A lot more interesting, again at first blush.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

i think its just pretty good, not great

best since evil heat might be more accurate for me
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Two listens so far and i'm liking it but not loving it. There's a lot to take in and I feel that it's a grower but there's nothing blowing me away. I think Holmes' production kinda holds back some of the songs: 2013, Hit Void, Sideman and Relativity could all do with being dirtier or harder. Mind you, on the slower material the production works really well. I did find myself wondering how weak would the record be without Holmes at the helm? Maybe not at all but i'm not sure. For me it's better than the last two albums but that's as far as i'd go.
2013 and It's Alright sound much better bookending the album than as standalone singles.
There's only two songs I don't like at all and that's Invisible City (I've a feeling BZA will love it :) ) and Goodbye Johnny. Bobby's vocals are quite varied on this album, on Tenement Kid he sounds like John Lennon. It's an odd album in that nothing really stands out, but if I had to pick one it would be Relativity. Some nice stuff on the bonus disc too.

Overall then, it's their best album since Evil Heat (sorry Paul, but can't agree that this is better than EH) and I've no doubt it'll be a grower but it doesn't quite reach the heights that I had been hoping for.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, I guess I just don't agree. I think River of Pain is better than every song from Evil Heat. I really like Goodbye Johnny. Invisible City is the only song I don't really like, so we can agree on that one.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i've only listened to 'more light' a few times, but i love it. i've got to agree that it's the best thing they've done since 'exterminator.'
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Just listened to an interview with Bobby on Irish radio. He said that Holmes sequenced the whole album as if it was a film, seeing each song as providing a narrative. 2013 opening credits, then straight into the dark and gritty with River of Pain and Culturecide, continuing through the album to end on an upbeat It's Alright... for the closing credits.
Thought that was pretty interesting myself.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

sunray wrote:Just listened to an interview with Bobby on Irish radio. He said that Holmes sequenced the whole album as if it was a film, seeing each song as providing a narrative. 2013 opening credits, then straight into the dark and gritty with River of Pain and Culturecide, continuing through the album to end on an upbeat It's Alright... for the closing credits.
Thought that was pretty interesting myself.
Mmm, that kind of makes sense.
Really enjoying this one, easily their best since XTRMNTR. Shame the bonus cd wasn't included with the vinyl edition. Didn't have too much trouble finding it on the interweb though :mrgreen:
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"