Primal Scream - New Album Info...

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Primal Scream - New Album Info...

Post by BzaInSpace »

Out in 2012? I really hope so!

Ripped from NME.com -

http://www.nme.com/news/primal-scream/61364
http://www.nme.com/news/primal-scream/61221

No Mani sadly... but Kevin Shields playing guitar and mixing will do for me!
Also talk of a "psychedelic record" :D ... "songs based on one chord"... spacey arrangements influenced by Screamadelica... produced with David Holmes as well apparently.
O P 8
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Re: Primal Scream - New Album Info...

Post by Kurious Oranj »

sounds cool.. i'm not much a fan of their last 2 albums.

hope this is a return to form
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

On the Can front, the Q article brilliantly mentioned that there is a song called Tago Screamo.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

There are a number of great songs on Beautiful Future, IMO, but I couldn't get into Riot City Blues at all. Those two albums definitely don't touch Screamadelica, Vanishing Point or XTRMTR (my three favorites), though.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

gonna reserve judgement until I hear it... those reference points Bobby flags up are encouraging, but he does have habit of talking up a better album than he delivers.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

New collaboration with Mark Stewart of the Pop Group. Video directed by Douglas Hart : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq7Gkmi2 ... e=youtu.be
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mani's replacement announced. For live shows anyway: http://www.digitalspy.ie/music/news/a37 ... googe.html

Interesting.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The album is done and dusted:

Primal Scream have completed a double-length long player for release in the "first quarter of next year". Interviewed on-air by 6music's Lauren Laverne, the band's Bobby Gillespie said: "We've got an album finished, all recorded and mixed... it's ready to go".

Describing the LP as "one of the best ones we've ever done", Gillespie defined its general 'sound' as "free rock, psychedelic... I'm not going to say 'experimental', but it's a rock record. It's kinda out there".

Gillespie also revealed that, since many of the tracks clock in between seven to nine minutes, it'll be released as a 2CD set. Apart from all this, the real reason for his and Laverne's conversation was a forthcoming live session Primal Scream are recording for 6music. Set for broadcast in October, it may or may not offer a first listen to the band's new material.

Quick interview in Q magazine here: http://news.qthemusic.com/2012/09/qa_pr ... gille.html

Trying to keep my expectations in check but it's sounding like it could be something special. :D
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I have high hopes. I think Beautiful Future, flawed as it is, was a step in the right direction after Riot City Blues, which I couldn't get into at all and struck me as a unbearably cliched, a corny rock pastiche.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

TheWarmth wrote:I have high hopes. I think Beautiful Future, flawed as it is, was a step in the right direction after Riot City Blues, which I couldn't get into at all and struck me as a unbearably cliched, a corny rock pastiche.
I take it that I'm in the minority to think that Riot City Blues and Beautiful Future were strong comebacks after the relative disappointment of the previous several records. For me, Primal Scream is all about the "corny rock pastiche" -- all of my favorite songs of theirs add a contemporary spin to a certain canon of classic rock artists. To me Bobby Gillespie's best skill is knowing where to borrow (steal?) from.

I found a lot of Vanishing Point, XTRMNTR, and Evil Heat sort of pretentious, like the band was trying too hard. Riot City Blues was a focused rock record, without so many of the affectations, and then Beautiful Future added more flourishes but again with a concise focus on being a rock 'n' roll band rather than going off on whatever other tangents.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, we're not in agreement on the Scream. I like the experimental, dark vibe of XTRMNTR and Vanishing Point a lot.
swinny
Known user

Post by swinny »

They played a couple of new songs at Festival No. 6 a few weeks back. I am a massive fan - but I wasn't quite sold on them if I'm honest. Shame, because they were on awesome form that night!

...still the only thing better than a new Spz record is a new Scream record, so bring it on!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

swinny wrote:They played a couple of new songs at Festival No. 6 a few weeks back. I am a massive fan - but I wasn't quite sold on them if I'm honest. Shame, because they were on awesome form that night!

...still the only thing better than a new Spz record is a new Scream record, so bring it on!
Yeah, I'd have to agree with this. The new songs in their Festival Number 6 headline performance didn't exactly blow me away either. Maybe it was because no one was familiar with them, but they really did seem a bit weak in an otherwise excellent set. Haven't really got excited about the Scream on record since Xtrmntr, though I always enjoy seeing them live.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Recent Maida Vale set (well, most of it anyway) plus Bobby interview: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00zf2xt

New permanent bass player in the line up. No new songs though.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

From David Holmes FB page:

the new primal scream album is sequenced and mastered...its called "more light" and will be released in may...one love! X

From the latest Uncut:
BOBBY GILLESPIE:

"Sometimes we do two-guitars-bass-drums, like a rock'n'roll standard thing. Other times there are a lot of different sounds and instruments. It's kind of symphonic or orchestrated in that sense and pretty sophisticated in places. It's more psychedelic and out-there.

We're playing with arrangements and doing unusual things with time signatures. Robert Plant sings on 'Elimination Blues' with me. It was originally going to be called 'Holy Ghost On Fire' or 'Reality Blues'. That turned out really beautifully and is the kind of song you wouldn't expect him to sing on. It's not a hard rock tune, it's a kind of swampy, sexy fuckin' groove. It's almost European blues, very hypnotic.

Mark Stewart sings on the chorus of a song called 'Cultureside'. That's a real hard-funk urban thing. It's a Temptations-like, Primal Scream funk song. I've known Mark for 20 years. He's a brilliant guy and his voice is unmistakable. He's one of my favourite singers.

(Producer) David Holmes encouraged us to go weird and to stretch things. Whenever we became excessive, he would love it. He hooked us up with some great musicians in LA too, like Davey (Jude Jolicoeur) who plays percussion with De La Soul. And we got Jason Falkner playing bass on a lot of the album. The whole thing is just a really great piece of music."

I was expecting a March release, rather than May, but nay mind. Really looking forward to it.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Wasn't that impressed with the new songs they played when I saw them at Festival No.6 in the autumn to be honest, so not holding my breath on this. Would be nice to be pleasantly surprised though.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

More Light!!! :D 8)

Hold your breath Shines(!), the new stuff I saw them perform in a tiny village hall this summer was epic, noisy and wonderful. I also read an interview with the esteemed Mr Andrew Innes recently who reckoned this album was gonna be "one of the great Primal Scream records". And he should know. Admittedly, I do find it hard to slate any of their recorded output to be honest - like another band that toured Oz in December they've never let me down, so I always really look forward to a new Scream album!

I mean it's easy to buy into the bullshit, fashion-orientated 'myths' around some of their releases, as peddled by the likes of Pitchfork http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/908 ... ity-blues/
2.3...c'mon! How did they arrive at the 0.3 I wonder. :roll: Strangely enough, the aspects of this record this review is particularly scathing about are the bits I really like, and the fact they refer to Second Coming as a "retro-rock disaster" tells me everything I need to know about the back-of-cornflake-packet opinions present and absolute reliance on 'The Story Of Rock'-style accepted factoids.
I understand how some of their records can be pretty decisive but they all have a good measure of, er... "ecstatic rock 'n' roll" (B Gillespie) pulsing through them, and that one more than most. Like a lot of albums, it can be a time and place thing, but it occurs to me that each Scream album has it's own set of wonderful memories and reflects the times - my OWN times I mean. (I got into Screamadelica after Vanishing Point for example...)

Weirdly enough, the only album of theirs I think is slightly overrated might be XTRMNTR actually. I still prefer Evil Heat, XTRMNTR's crazier twin. And that last one, the Beautiful Future, a lost classic already? A great, deceptively poppy album - and The Mrs' favourite as well.

Anyway - listen to this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj6Pz5UU8EU Recorded during their Oz tour last month, this is a version of 'Relativity' that blew me away as heard earlier this year... I think Simone plays it differently from how Debbie did, this definitely has a more Joy Division vibe than I remember, but check it out anyway... REALLY looking forward to hearing this on the album proper. And it's a double album, right? 2CD treatment? Wow. :shock:
O P 8
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

hey that new track was fantastic!

and yeah, you hit the nail on the head with pitchfork reviews. Often they dont seem to actually review music, so much as talk about how an album becomes placed in the historical-grand-narrative-of-Music-according-to-Pitchfork. It's so boring and reductive. Also, it's almost as if it denies that musical taste/value is a subjective thing. amusingly, I find riot city blues to be the opposite of what it claims to be, which is why i don't like it. far from the (brilliant!) indulgence of the roses or any kind of 'high energy rock n roll', all i hear is boring/blandness. but that's subjectivity for you.. i quite liked beautiful future, but i'm hoping the new album will be the real return to form i've been waiting for. Will keep fingers crossed..

by the way, if you find xtrmntr overrated maybe it's just overfamiliarity with the album? try playing the 'live in japan' album really loud and see if that changes your mind. if not, maybe you're right, haha..
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Just watched the live video of "Relativity" and really dug it. The time change at the end was unexpected and worked wonderfully. Can't wait to hear the album, although I do think that More Light is a pretty lame title.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

TheWarmth wrote: although I do think that More Light is a pretty lame title.
don't let j mascis hear you say that..
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Is that the J. Mascis & The Fog album? As I recall, that's a pretty good record.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

yeah, that's the one. i like it too - probs the best 'fog' album imo.
tracks like 'same day' and 'ammaring' (from that album) seem to take on a life of their own live too, from what i've heard.

check out the soaring guitar on same day from the JM+fog 2012-03-31 gig (from freesofree) :shock:

so yeah, hopefully the title wont stop the primals album from being ace too :lol:
i have a feeling i'm gonna love it..
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I am looking forward to hearing this album, on paper it sounds brilliant but we will see... sometimes Bobby talks up their albums brilliantly but the reality is another bitty album with just a couple of great tracks. I think their only consistently good albums are Screamadelica and XTRMNTR.
I can't believe that Riot City Blues is getting praise on here... what an awful load of retro-rock bollocks that is. it sounds like Beady Eye.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Ha! I don't like Riot City Blues, either. Very much looking forward to hearing the new one, though. The two live tracks are very promising.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: RCB = X

Post by BzaInSpace »

I've been raving about Riot City Blues for a few years now, never mind this thread. Spamuel used to give me a bit of bother about it I think. I think it's a superb album and at times has definitely been my favourite record by THE SCREAM.

It's a glorious, life-affirming, massive-sounding masterpiece and just hearing the first few seconds of most of the tracks makes me grin like an idiot. The 'retro' tag is just ridiculous - so the band strip back the psychedelic effects and go for a more live band sound for one album and all of a sudden "they've gone retro?" Of course, they got that back in the days of Give Out But Don't Give Up - another classic which has been ill-served by generally-accepted ignorance.
BZA wrote:I mean it's easy to buy into the bullshit, fashion-orientated 'myths' around some of their releases, as peddled by the likes of Pitchfork...
Just so.

Besides, I like Beady Eye. Or at least that song 'Bring The Light' - that was one of the best songs of last year or the year before for me. Had Oasis ever brought out a song as good as that I might have been a bit more into them. Just sayin' :wink:

Anyway. I believe More Light will come and mess up peoples heads and hopefully will be just as awesome as the band suggest. Definitely the album I'm most looking forward to hearing anytime soon.
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: I think their only consistently good albums are Screamadelica and XTRMNTR.
Surely Evil Heat should be in there too? I love that album.

Got to stick up for Riot City Blues too. While I wouldn't love it as much as BZA I do feel it's much maligned and under appreciated. It's a good, solid album. I think people should give it another listen if they haven't done so in a while, they might be pleasantly surprised.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Yep, Evil Heat is definitely under-appreciated too. I still think it's (slightly?) better than XTRMNTR. It's more of a rougher thing, like the best set of demos you ever heard. And the MBV-assisted rockers on there rock mightily. Plus stuff like 'Autobahn 66' and 'Deep Hit' are well drugged up. And 'Miss Lucifer' is probably my favourite Primal Scream single ever.

Hey Sunray, Riot City Blues is seemingly disliked everywhere, so good to see some positive words on it for a change - but we're in good company: an all-time favourite of one Mr Andrew Weatherall apparently:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/no ... usic.clubs

I remember finding with great delight a stack of double vinyl editions of Riot City Blues, going for the absurdly cheap price of £3 each in Fopp records some years back - ace!
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Evil Heat better than XTRMNTR???? Insanity! No way. I like Evil Heat, but XTRMNTR is virtually flawless.

Anyone know when we'll hear the first single from the new album?
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

TheWarmth wrote:Anyone know when we'll hear the first single from the new album?

It's getting played on BBC 6Music on Monday (all 9 minutes of it, apparently).
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Evil Heat has some good stuff but it's really patchy. the songs I like on there are Autobahn 66 and the last 3 songs. even those songs just aren't that original though- Autobahn is basically Neu, and Space Blues #2 is basically Sp3/Spz.
as an album it's kind of all over the place stylistically too, usually that's a good thing but it doesn't really hang together for me.

I'll keep an ear out for the new stuff though, hope it surprises me!
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

think this is released this am?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The new single is being played for the first time today on Radio6 but the new album isn't due out till May 6th:-

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/ ... orrow.html
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

2013 (single edit): http://youtu.be/LfPu5FQgFIU
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah! Awesome. Really cool. Can't wait to hear the full version.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

the 9min version is amazing!
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this song. It's fantastic. Really, really dig it. Plus, Kevin Shields plays on it! Stellar.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

It certainly sounds a lot, lot better than when I heard them play it live at Festival No.6 last Autumn. I thought it sounded really cheesy and lightweight then but it sounds pretty good now. Maybe the new album might not be so terrible after all :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

liking this more tham I expected ,infact it sounds quite brilliant, love the sax obviously , gives it a real Hawkwind vibe ,in an updated positive way of course, trippy :)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

2 0 1 3

Post by BzaInSpace »

I really, really love this song - what an awesome 'comeback' song from The Scream!

It sorta floats past on crappy laptop speakers but I encourage everybody to check it out through headphones - there's a whole world of pain in there, plus a vast, layered, intricate and hyperreal production. A really dark and beautiful sound. K Shields playing this guitar part that slices right down the middle. And that saxophone! The lyrics have sorta moved on from the 'cut-up' style nature of before, and perhaps they are really saying something now.

I liked this song when it was called '2012', but felt the other song I heard them play here http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... =2&t=11314 was better ('Relativity') so really psyched to hearing how that one turns out... and the whole album! Few months yet though.

Never mind though - TUNE!

"Remember Robespierre!" :shock:
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Re: 2 0 1 3

Post by sunray »

BzaInSpace wrote:"Remember Robespierre!" :shock:
Aye, now that Bobby's living the clean life he does like his sparkling mineral water.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

After initially thinking this was weak (esp from the Bobby G side of things - lyrically and vocally) and yet another post XTRMNTR 'meh' moment from the Scream, I've actually come to like it. Playing it through headphones rather than naff laptop speakers has helped bring out the sonics and bottom end a lot more. It still lacks something to make it worthy of the Vanishing Point era (Burning Wheel for example) but as of now I'm digging it. Great sax! Very Roxy, very Hawkwind. I may start thinking about entering their world again after losing interest a good while ago. Looking forward to the album to see what David Holmes has done for them.........it's gotta be better than the (not so) Beautiful Future album which now lays like a dead dog amongst my collection.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

definitely the best thing I've heard them do in a good while (not saying much), definitely not on the level of XTRMNR (which is definitely the sound it's going for).
Bobby's melody is just like so many of his others, and there's all these cool elements but it doesn't really coalesce into anything convincing..

however, it has made me more interested in the new album. I reckon they'll be some cool stuff on there.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

johnnyboy wrote:..it's gotta be better than the (not so) Beautiful Future album which now lays like a dead dog amongst my collection.
angelsighs wrote:definitely the best thing I've heard them do in a good while (not saying much).
Don't let BZA catch you saying these things chaps....this is blasphemous in his world :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Shinesalight wrote:
Don't let BZA catch you saying these things chaps....this is blasphemous in his world :wink:
me too. :twisted: but yes there are some scream songs that i don't always fancy but i do like 2013 a lot

i think the "Two Thousand Thirteen" works better than 2012. my 2¢

here's the full version on soundcloud if you can't be arsed about video's like myself
https://soundcloud.com/primalscream
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

johnnyboy wrote:After initially thinking this was weak (esp from the Bobby G side of things - lyrically and vocally) and yet another post XTRMNTR 'meh' moment from the Scream, I've actually come to like it. Playing it through headphones rather than naff laptop speakers has helped bring out the sonics and bottom end a lot more. It still lacks something to make it worthy of the Vanishing Point era (Burning Wheel for example) but as of now I'm digging it. Great sax! Very Roxy, very Hawkwind. I may start thinking about entering their world again after losing interest a good while ago. Looking forward to the album to see what David Holmes has done for them.........it's gotta be better than the (not so) Beautiful Future album which now lays like a dead dog amongst my collection.
johnnyboy, got to disagree about Beautiful Future, love at least half that album , give the old dead dog a quick boot!!
2013 reminds me SO much of a certain Hawkwind song I can`t quite put my finger on , so f#cking annoying when that happens, agree its no Burning Wheel but what the hell is ??? thats one of my top 10 Scream tunes over almost 30yrs. This tune is cool and has me primed for a new Scream record,
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: and there's all these cool elements but it doesn't really coalesce into anything convincing.
That's how I feel about it. It's ok but there's definitely something lacking. I was expecting it to be dirtier and/or spacier. To paraphrase something angelsighs said in the Black Angels thread: it's like earlier albums but without the bite. Love the opening 40 seconds until the bass comes in.

In saying all that, i've a feeling it could be a slow burner and a few months from now i'll really like it. For the moment though i'm a little concerned that Holmes may have done a bit too clean of a production job on the album.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Going to be available as a Single cd, Deluxe Double cd, Double Vinyl and Deluxe cd / Vinyl Bundle.

Here's the tracklisting for the double cd :
CD1:
1. 2013 9.01
2. River Of Pain 6.59
3. Culturecide 4.36
4. Hit Void 4.10
5. Tenement Kid 4.46
6. Invisible City 4.41
7. Goodbye Johnny 3.29
8. Sideman 3.54
9. Elimination Blues 5.47
10. Turn Each Other Inside Out 4.35
11. Walking With The Beast 3.58
12. Relativity 7.29
13. It's Alright, It's OK 5.09

CD2:
1. Nothing Is Real / Nothing Is Unreal 5.03
2. Requiem For The Russian Tea Rooms 3.13
3. Running Out Of Time 2.36
4. Worm Tamer 5.35
5. Theme From More Light 2.27
6. 2013 (Weatherall Remix) 8.18

As well as the Weatherall remix above, there's also a 'Weatherall Dub' of 2013 on the forthcoming 12".

Apparently this is the album cover: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... nt_count=1
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Thanks for that bit of news. Any idea when the 2013 12" comes out?
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Nice, cheers for the info Sunray. I like the sound of those song titles, always good for me to see one with the name 'Johnny' in it. Great to see Weatherall is on remixing duties again. I wonder if the 12" will be a Record Store Day release of it (20th April) seeingas it falls between now and the albums release?
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

i wonder if goodbye johnny is a gun club cover
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

TheWarmth wrote:Thanks for that bit of news. Any idea when the 2013 12" comes out?
Due out 8th April.
burningwheel wrote:i wonder if goodbye johnny is a gun club cover
I was wondering if Worm Tamer is a Grinderman cover?

I've been thinking about the supposed artwork and i'd be very surprised if that picture of Bobby is the cover. It just seems very un-Scream-like to not have the rest of the band in the photo.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Is anyone else having problems navigating through their site? I can't see the window for the preorder. ughhh
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, I was having trouble getting the preorder page to open. I'm just going to wait until the release date and will probably order it from Norman.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Excellent interview here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/ma ... mal-scream#

Some choice quotes -

"Someone like Boris Johnson hides behind that bumbling public schoolboy image but he's a sinister rightwing cunt trying to bring in anti-strike legislation … we've got to fight these fucking people!"

"...but it's like I always say when people start talking about politics. We're not for one party or another party. At the end of the day, we vote for Miles Davis."

Vote For Miles :D I'm also glad to read somebody else feeling disgust at the sheer emptiness of the Brit Awards.

What's more, got to hear the Weatherall Dub mix of '2013' today thru their emailing list. It's pretty tasty... to say the least.

Really looking forward to More Light now. Check out the cover:

Shinesalight wrote: Don't let BZA catch you saying these things chaps....this is blasphemous in his world

Yeah, I know what you mean, and it probably would be easier just to go along with the 'accepted' critical opinion that Screamadelica and XTRMNTR are the only highlights in their back catalogue, but I just can't agree with that at all. Remember that B-sides compilation I sent you way back when? It was better than most bands albums...
O P 8
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

BzaInSpace wrote:Excellent interview here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/ma ... mal-scream#

Some choice quotes -

"Someone like Boris Johnson hides behind that bumbling public schoolboy image but he's a sinister rightwing cunt trying to bring in anti-strike legislation … we've got to fight these fucking people!"

"...but it's like I always say when people start talking about politics. We're not for one party or another party. At the end of the day, we vote for Miles Davis."

Vote For Miles :D I'm also glad to read somebody else feeling disgust at the sheer emptiness of the Brit Awards.

What's more, got to hear the Weatherall Dub mix of '2013' today thru their emailing list. It's pretty tasty... to say the least.

Really looking forward to More Light now. Check out the cover:

Shinesalight wrote: Don't let BZA catch you saying these things chaps....this is blasphemous in his world

Yeah, I know what you mean, and it probably would be easier just to go along with the 'accepted' critical opinion that Screamadelica and XTRMNTR are the only highlights in their back catalogue, but I just can't agree with that at all. Remember that B-sides compilation I sent you way back when? It was better than most bands albums...
That interview is funny. Talking about punk and revolution while dressed in Givenchy and accusing the Stones of plagiarism.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Bobby Gillespie is kind of an idiot, but a loveable one it seems, at least from afar.

His political ramblings are painfully ignorant -- regardless of who you would encourage your countrymen to vote for, it's really out of bounds to say that someone with a different philosophy of government is soulless and can't possibly understand the mysticism of sex drugs and rock 'n' roll. Isn't the music supposed to be about uncompromisingly being yourself?

On the other hand, I think he's spot on about the Rolling Stones. A lot of their genius is appropriation of other ideas -- which makes the Bitter Sweet Symphony fiasco particularly ironic. My favorite Stones song right now might be the extended disco version of Miss You, which surely owes a big debt to others. Primal Scream are thieves but so are plenty of others -- one of the reasons why the Dylan album was called "Love & Theft."
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

jadams501 wrote: His political ramblings are painfully ignorant -- regardless of who you would encourage your countrymen to vote for, it's really out of bounds to say that someone with a different philosophy of government is soulless and can't possibly understand the mysticism of sex drugs and rock 'n' roll. Isn't the music supposed to be about uncompromisingly being yourself?
I don't think it's out of bounds when you consider the truly horrible people he's talking about - Messrs Camerson, Osborne and the Bullingdon/millionaire elite. Regardless of whether you agree with him or not, I think the point he was making was that there is basically NO dissent out there in whatever remains of 'music culture' - everybody seems sorta hypnotised.

"We're living in extreme times and if you listened to modern rock music you wouldn't know that," says Gillespie. "I just think it's odd there's no protest, resistance or critique of what's going down. It's like people are tranquilised. All the rights people had fought for – people like trade unionists, anarchists, artists – are being clawed back by extremists."

I don't think that sounds particularly ignorant to me. Anyway - that interview was at least ten times more entertaining, interesting and honest than any other they'll run this year.

The Weatherall Dub version of '2013' is very special indeed!

https://soundcloud.com/primalscream/201 ... ix/s-M1lrN
O P 8
princeskinny
Known user

Post by princeskinny »

Whatever you think of Bobby G, he's clearly not an idiot, and largely spot on about the apathy in mainstream music. Whilst the Scream are often a contradictory force; railing against exploitative power yet being avid users of hard drugs over the years, the most exploitative 'industry' going for instance, that's probably not a bad thing. The most interesting bands and people thrive off contradictions.

Musically, it's fair to say they've released their fair amount of dross, but in my opinion they've also produced some of the finest music ever 'Screamadelica' and 'Xtrmntr' are clear classics, but there are other moments of greatness; the melody of 'Deep Hit of Morning Sun', sheer joy of 'Revolutionary', the state of the art rock n roll of 'Burning Wheel' to name but three. Anyone at the 'Screamadelica' shows in 2011 could vouch for the soulful playing of 'Damaged' and the wonderous 'I'm comin down'. The musical historians tag that follows them around, with some justification, can highlight their influences and overshadow their tunes, but their best material will stand with the best over time. I think when they call it a day, many will be surprised how much good stuff they produced.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

No offense to anyone re: Bobby G, I appreciate (much of) his music but simply don't feel name-calling is mature or helpful to taking on the issues he supposedly is so invested in. My own feeling is that Primal Scream's ridiculous 'revolutionary politics' are primarily a promotional tool to seem "authentic" (whatever that means for mass-market entertainers) and particularly to relaunch their career in the late 90s after the failure of Give Out... which angered some for having a Confederate flag on the cover. Which isn't to say that Gillespie doesn't care on some level, but ultimately I think his political stances are one more homage to earlier generations of rock music rather than anything substantive.

All that said, he's right on the Stones and knows how to give a good interview. And the best of Primal Scream stands with anything from the last 25 years, in my opinion.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

I think his politics largely come from his background (west of Scotland, working class, trade unionist father, grew up through the Thatcher government). If you want to know what people like that think of the Conservative party, come to Glasgow on the night that Thatcher dies. He also obviously has a very real love of bands like the MC5, and revolutionary ideals are clearly as big a part of that band as the music.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
swinny
Known user

Post by swinny »

They've released another new song - supposedly the next single "It's Alright, It's OK"...

http://primalscream2013.tumblr.com/post ... n-from-the

...think they played this at Festival No.6 and I was a bit lost on the "ooh la las"...still am, but now I've had a chance to hear it properly I think it's a cracking little tune! A modern-day Movin' On Up...real high hopes for the new album
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

swinny wrote:They've released another new song - supposedly the next single "It's Alright, It's OK"...

http://primalscream2013.tumblr.com/post ... n-from-the

...think they played this at Festival No.6 and I was a bit lost on the "ooh la las"...still am, but now I've had a chance to hear it properly I think it's a cracking little tune! A modern-day Movin' On Up...real high hopes for the new album
Thanks for posting - what a tune! Love the joyful and euphoric feel here, and that's some way to end a record. A distinct contrast to '2013' - I eagerly anticipate the rest of the record that's gonna be bookended by these two songs.

... apparently way back when Screamadelica took off The Scream were trying to organize a recording session with none other than Phil Spector. They were going to do the Beatles fan club record 'Christmastime (Is Here Again)' :shock: but supposedly at the last minute Spector cancelled, saying that the song was just a "jingle".

Well, upon listening to this it sounds like they finally made their Spector record. Bob even sounds like John Lennon a few times. Weird...
O P 8
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

love this song, probably better than 2013. don't see the movin on up 2 comparison though but maybe i havent listen to it closely enough