Glasvegas

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Guessed
Known user

Glasvegas

Post by Guessed »

Now then, i've been contemplating starting a thread about this 4 piece for a week.
I luv 'em

I've had there most recent album (Euphoric/Heartbreak) on rotation in the car and it's blindin'
I had a soft spot for them after there first album but this new one shows a certain extended maturity whilst retaining a lot of the naivety and "common ground" approach of the first.

A few already underway threads were going through my head whilst pondering on how to post; Runcible' "chart music" thread and perhaps even the "guilty pleasures" thread...but these lot are neither. I'm not guilty and whilst this isnt really chart music, for me it probably should be and i'd put it in that category. It's POP not rawk n rawl.

For me it's a fascinating album without having to look to deep; they have influences of course...somewhere between early Factory and early Creation...your already getting a flavour of the bands. However there's a film(ic) quality to there sound, it's very simple (i'd argue that they maybe arent the most blessed musicians but does that matter?) and the vocal delivery is...i remember reading that the album artwork to a Radiohead (forgive me the album title escapes me) lp was somehwere between agony and ecstasy...the vocal delivery is part head in the heavens/knees in the gutter and delivered in (possibly an astute) terrace like chant.

The album is seamless, it's relentless and very slick (not in production technique, although Flood has trumped here) but in creating a piece of work. For me it embodies something, many things, without sounding gushing it appears to embody a people...the highs/the lows the mundane/the real but lastly if I was going into a fist fight i'd rather have this in my lug than Ed Sheeran...do you know what i mean!

Anyway, Glasvegas...try them even just for the 40mins or so the albums last.

B,
S.
Zenchan
Known user

Re: Glasvegas

Post by Zenchan »

Thought the first album had some cracking songs (though, tellingly, most were overproduced and not a patch on the original widely circulated myspace demo versions from a year earlier), thought the second album was a murky fractured mess.

Evidently, so did everyone else because it sold appallingly and they were promptly dropped :wink:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

its interesting to see someone liking an album thats been universally panned ,not heard it to be honest ,heard a couple of trax,one I liked and the other not so much,but i never really had much interest in hearing it ,after being so disappointed with the first album,

a little background, my younger brother introduced me to them ,in fact he badgered me relentlessly to go see them,now this was strange as all through the 90`s & noughties he pretty much gave up on music ,around the time Lazer Guided Melodies came out ,I remember buying it and he just wasn`t interested just wouldn`t listen to it which I found weird as he`d been with me to see Spacemen 3 four times ,but I digress ,insisted I come see this band he`d being going to see ,I think he saw them 13 times in the one year around when the myspace demos where around ,adamant they were the dogs bollox ,eventually I went to see them when they played in town ,and I had to agree ,they had something saw them 4 times before the first album came out ,really looked forward to the first album but sheesh ,what a let down , nothing like some of the live shows I saw,

if a man of your taste bigs it up Guessed I may just go and check the 2nd one out ,and Zenchan ,the general public ignores plenty quality music so I wouldn`t judge on sales.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

quite liked the first album... thought it was a great mix of spectoresque pop with shoegaze guitars, a bit contrived but some great tunes

what ive heard of the second album has been absolute garbage though.. sooo overwrought